PDA

View Full Version : I helped a biker today.

TygerTung
24th May 2008, 00:54
Was driving back from my parents place with my wife at the wheel of the mighty corolla tow vehicle, going down deans ave in christchurch when I saw somone pushing a bike (RGV150, go the two strokes woot!). I said somthing like theres somebody with their bike crapped out, maybe we should pull over and see if he wants any help. So we went down to the lights, turned around, went all the way back down then came back. We pulled over and I jumped out to see what the matter was.

I talked to the guy and he said the clutch was rooted, asked him where he was going, he said avonhead, a long way to push from hagley park!!!! I said I'd go home and get the bike trailer. Jumped back in the car, then thought clutch fucked? Tight cable perhaps? Very odd in this weather! (raining, would have thought it would be odd to burn out in this weather). So I jumped out to see what exactly what the problem was as I carry tools at all times(funny story about that, I'll tell you after.)

Went back to the fulla and asked exactly what the problem was, he showed me, he'd dropped it going over some railway lines in the wet and bent the gear lever right over and in so that he couldn't change gear! I said oh thats easy I can fix that right now!!! Grabbed out the tool bag from the back of the mighty corolla tow vehicle and got out various pliers, multigrips and bent it back and he was back in action!!!! Turns out that I met the fulla before in a previous life at a WRX track day (Didn't have a WRX, but I took the mighty '78 corolla wagon tow vehicle out back when I was into cars, no more, bikes have taken me completly!!!)

He was super stoked, he offered to shout me and my lovely wife a feed, but I said no need, just help out any other bikers in need if you can, we bikers need to stick together! He grabbed my number and we are gonna go for a ride sometime! Maybe I can get him into bucket racing???

I'm not trying to get a big head from saying how great I am, I am just trying to illustrate that us bikers need to stick together and help each other in times of need in this brotherhood of ours.

Oh? The funny thing about carrying around tools? When I went to book my restricted licence, the girl tried to sign me up to the AA. I told her I used to be a member, but there was probably no point as I tend to fix it myself on the side of the road. She said well do you carry around a toolbox in your boot do you? Well actually I do, I said. After that she told me about this great finance deal that they were offering at 14%. I suggested that you were better off to save up and pay cash, she seemed to think that noone would have enough money to buy a car etc cash, well thats up to them, but I think you're better off to save up.

BUELLFIREBOLT7777
24th May 2008, 01:00
Good on you dude,as a biker myself I would have appreciated the help.

howdamnhard
24th May 2008, 01:27
Well done,bling sent.Could have used someone like you the other night when my bike broke down,wasn't to pleased with whoever it was who hooted while going past with a trailer but didn't stop to help.

McJim
24th May 2008, 02:19
I recently found a guy with a flat tyre out on SH6. He had a ferry to catch, the bike shops were closing and he had no puncture repair equipment.

I was in a work van at the time so I simply hoisted the bike into the van and floored it to the nearest bike shop (Winton Suzuki) who I presume fixed his puncture (I was still working at the time and had to keep going)

Most of us would do the same.

HungusMaximist
24th May 2008, 07:59
I'm not trying to get a big head from saying how great I am

You were pretty great there mate. Well done! :niceone:

Swoop
24th May 2008, 08:33
Spread the love.
A biker always stops.

mowgli
24th May 2008, 08:43
Well done. Bling sent.

Badcat
24th May 2008, 09:01
Spread the love.
A biker always stops.

what he said.
i love stopping, i always carry a good toolset, especially in the kid-hauler legnum.
makes everyone feel good when you help a brother/sister.

k

James Deuce
24th May 2008, 09:12
No good deed goes unpunished.

gijoe1313
24th May 2008, 10:14
Paying it forward ... on ya fer keeping the great karmic cosmic wheel turning just a little bit more!

Klaatu Barada Nikto!

munterk6
24th May 2008, 12:36
Paying it forward ... on ya fer keeping the great karmic cosmic wheel turning just a little bit more!

Klaatu Barada Nikto!

A mate got a flat tyre about 10 kms before Reefton years ago, he coasted into a rest area and was standing there wondering what the hell to do. Suddenly a guy in a ute pulled up, jumped out and asked if he needed help. He put the bike on the ute and took my mate to his workshop in Reefton. The guys missus gave my mate a cuppa and a big wildpork sandwich while hubby fixed the puncture. The good ole West Coast eh? People are real there, ya know he would not accept any money for the time and effort he gave out!
Thats a credit in his heavenly bank account I'd say....:clap:
Klaatu Barada Nikto...put the laser beam away Gort!

Stampy
24th May 2008, 12:36
Need more people like you buddy!!! Well done.

tri boy
24th May 2008, 12:46
Nice work.
Ya living the dream to the max.:cool:

TygerTung
24th May 2008, 13:23
Hey guys, it's very nice but I'm not trying to get any credit here. I am just illustrating how people need to help each other out.

I was more than happy to do it, like it says in the bible, 'treat others as you would like to be treated' I think it says that in the bible, I can't remember?

faredce
24th May 2008, 14:21
yea well done mate. wen i got my bike it was not running very nicely and i spent a long time wheeling it round to the nearest hill to roll down to jump start it. i had many people walk past on the foot path as i pushed my bike up the hill and not offer a hand instead offered a smirk. not cool i say. even if all i can offer is a puch since my motor knowledge is lacking i think its the least i can do.
all i ask is a polite nod to the next biker u drive past..its those nods that make me happy to be a biker!

Sharry
24th May 2008, 14:40
Good on ya mate. We do help out when we can just cos we like to, but what goes around comes around and it won't go anywhere if we just sit still and wait for it.

bigbang_boy
24th May 2008, 14:50
it was very kind of you to help..some would have just ignore the incident..keep up the good work..

martybabe
24th May 2008, 14:58
Yip ,it's a big lonely country when the shit goes down and your miles from home, some times all you've got is the kindness of strangers and you weren't lacking Bud. Well done. :niceone:

Daffyd
24th May 2008, 17:50
Good work! BLing sent.

Forest
25th May 2008, 04:51
Oh? The funny thing about carrying around tools? When I went to book my restricted licence, the girl tried to sign me up to the AA. I told her I used to be a member, but there was probably no point as I tend to fix it myself on the side of the road. She said well do you carry around a toolbox in your boot do you? Well actually I do, I said. After that she told me about this great finance deal that they were offering at 14%. I suggested that you were better off to save up and pay cash, she seemed to think that noone would have enough money to buy a car etc cash, well thats up to them, but I think you're better off to save up.

The AA is an anti-bike organisation.

I don't support them out of principle.

Rashika
25th May 2008, 09:52
The AA is an anti-bike organisation.

I don't support them out of principle.

interesting... They actually came to my rescue after a rally when the bike broke down; Flat tyre AND a dead regulator. So I dont have any issues with the AA.

Trying to pay it forward huh TT? ;)

Beemer
26th May 2008, 13:58
Good on you for stopping to help and actually offering such great assistance.

My husband does this too, and always has the backup of the bike trailer if all else fails. He must be going soft in his old age though, he was at a trail ride yesterday and when he got home he said he'd helped two or three kids. Seems they were bogged in sandy bits on hills so he'd offered to ride their bikes up to the top of the hill for them! One kid said "'scuse me, can you please pick my bike up for me?" He said one kid was right at the bottom and had trouble getting the bike moving so when he said "would you like me to ride it up to the top of the hill for you?" and he said "yes please!"