PDA

View Full Version : 199 votes from a potential of 5000+

Shaun
27th May 2008, 09:57
After the elections on the weekend for the positions availlable to help control/work with the road racing scene with in MNZ I feel the need to remind many of the past- sorry about this, and a HUGE THANKYOU TO THE FEW THAT MANAGED TO ACTUALLY PUT A STAMP ON AN ENVOLOPE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

#1 7th April 2008, 08:33
Shaun
Hardcore Biker

Bike: Bike, icu, wheel chair, crutches, bike

Shaun Harris and No entry to MNZ Club

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHY I BELIEVE THE RIDERS “NOT” MNZ ARE TO BLAIM

This is a copy of a letter, ( Sent out approx 08-03-2004) that I sent out to ALL MNZ LICENSE holders in 2004 ( Ones with current addresses) 225 Sent out ( With self addressed stamped envelopes to return) Pretty easy really!!!!! Or so I thought?

RoadRacing Promoter/coordinator

Please take the time to read and Respond, your comments are extremely important and without your feedback it makes it hard to make changes that will benefit our racing and enhance the future of our sport.

I am proposing that the motorcycle fraternity EMPLOY our own full time promotor/coordinator, until all replies are returned and worked through, the full time job description is not possible to outline here, but I will include what I would like this person to be doing.

JOB DESCRIPTION

Coordination of all clubs and race format, and information for riders, and communication with MNZ.
Promotional work with the media, series sponsors, importers, clubs, MNZ etc
Group purchasing for race products making our purchase price lower and already giving a return on our investment. ( Will work for some and not others)

Rome was not built in a day and neither will this be, that is why I have started doing this now because there will be a few issues to arrange to make this happen.

WHO TO EMPLOY

I suggest that we nominate 2 rider reps from each class and let this group go through all the resumes and make a choice.

HOW TO PAY THIS PERSON

This is where I need you all to think long and hard about our racing and our sport and what it means to you!

I propose that we all invest $250-00 into this campaign. ( I have a company that will put $ 5000-00 into the fund, if I can get 100 riders to invest in there own future)

If we all agree here is what We would have to start with

142 people @ $250-00 = $35-000 + $ 5000-00 = $40-500

$40-500 paid to our promoter as a base salary with an agreed percentage ( To top the salary package up) of additional funds that they would bring into the sport from business promotions.

I realise that this may seem to simple, but some of the best things in the world are simple, no need for this to be difficult.

I RECIEVED 45 REPLIES TO THIS MAIL OUT ONLY!!!!!!!!

It is the RIDERS that are not helping our sport, NOT MNZ!

Even Tony Rees agreed to the above, and he is a proffesional business man, and was a very well sponsored rider, but could see the benefit to one and all.

So based on the above, I decided NOT to put my name in the Hat for the road race Nth Island Role- the riders them selves are not prepared to work hard enough, so why would I go into battle for people that are not prepared to fight them self, and this way, I can also focus on my 2 riders instead of others. Sorry to any one that went out of there way to nominate me.

199 VOTES RECIEVED ONLY GOD DAM PATHETIC

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO HELP ANYONE, THAT DOES NOT WANT TO HELP THEM SELF

codgyoleracer
27th May 2008, 10:44
Unbelievable apathy guys - anyone who didnt vote - Dont you dare complain.

Kevin G
27th May 2008, 11:35
Hi.
For those who do not know the result.
Trevor Heaphy is now the NI on road board member and Dave Morris remains the SI on road board member.

If you have issues you want raised/sorted these are the people you need to discuss them with, they are working for you as licence holders and MNZ members!

Thanks to all those that did actually manage to muster up the energy to vote.
I missed the SI position by three votes so it was close.....

So, do you think off road riders/racers would have voted? They certainly should of as the board members are involved in all issues not just what they are voted in to represent.....how many people understand the system?

If it was only road orientated racers that voted then we got about 20% (best estimate) voting response, why?

Cheers
Kevin Goddard

Maido
27th May 2008, 12:27
wow, that is a really low turn out, I mean its not as if you actually had to do anything except tick a couple of columns and then put it in an envelope. Its not like you have to got to the polling booths like a general election.

I wonder how many of those 199 votes came from these forums, I would probably suggest quite a few?

I did my part and voted, now I reserve the right to winge and moan!:2guns:

Shaun
27th May 2008, 17:15
I did my part and voted, now I reserve the right to winge and moan!:2guns:[/QUOTE]

You SIR, have earned the right to that if you wish so

Wonder how many others on here have????????????????? BUGGER all I bet!

Kickaha
27th May 2008, 17:32
As pointed out at the meeting by far the majority of the 5000 are off road members and as one of them said they doubted many of the off road people would vote for some for the onroad postions, but it was piss poor anyway

Kevin you had my vote (fat lot of good it did you) :bleh:

ArcherWC
27th May 2008, 17:42
I am one of the ones that didnt vote. The reason I didnt, is that I didnt know any of the applicents (apart from the blerb they wrote about themselves).
I have only been involved in Road Racing for a very short time, once I get a better feel for the whole scene I will have my say at the next vote.
Hopefully by then the reps voted in (and those that want a vote)will have made themselves known to me and the others they expect to vote for them

k14
27th May 2008, 17:47
Yep I voted. Gutted for you Kev, next year eh?

Racey Rider
27th May 2008, 18:21
I understand the annoyance people not voting has caused.
But let me explain my point of view for not voting myself.

I have been 'in'/on the edge of the racing scene for three years now.
But I don't know these people who want to be elected.
I don't know what the 'role' is these people want to be elected for.
I read all the info I was sent as a MNZ member (Thank you), but it didn't really give me a reason to vote for this guy or that guy. I definitely thought about it.
But thought - Let those that know them vote for them.

Just because someone says 'vote for this guy', is that reason for me to blindly follow someone else's advise when I don't even know why?

It seems to me the system could be better.

Could these prospective MNZ officials come on here (KB) where a number of MNZ members reside, to chat about there thoughts on the job they are applying for?

You Shaun, have given us your views on different aspects of the motorcycle racing game, in NZ from time to time, and agree with you or not, I'm sure most appreciate you sharing your thoughts for discussion. And yet ....

Oooo time for tea!:spudbooge

steveyb
27th May 2008, 19:41
Well, I used my democratic vote by not voting, because I felt that either candidate for NI road would be OK.
So, while I did not return the form and perhaps should have, I do feel certain that there will be some, maybe many, that felt the same way.
If you are OK with either candidate then not voting is the only option you have.

Cheers

Steve

scott411
27th May 2008, 19:53
at least you were right Shaun, i agreed with you a few months ago when you said that most riders don;t care,

the worse thing about the system, if you get off your ass and go around some members at a race day you can get 20 to 50 proxy votes and have a very big voting block at your fingertips, its a flaw in the flawed system,

at least the off road guys did not have to choose, only one applied per island,

Kevin G
28th May 2008, 22:54
I think the lack of responses to the questions/issues raised sadly speaks way to loudly.....

To those that said gee I didn't know any of them, well my response would be that you should find out, if you gave a rats arse about the sport you would find out. Hell with the stuff you were sent (licence holders) at least half of the candidates put their full contact details on their info. Would it have been that hard?

I hear and read so much negative stuff here and at the track but when the time comes to have your say you don't, I am confused. I again acknowledge those that did take the time to have their say, well done.

Kevin Goddard

Kevin G
28th May 2008, 22:58
Just noted the ratio of views to comments is about the same as the vote....seeing any common thread here?

Kevin Goddard

Skunk
28th May 2008, 23:01
I didn't vote as I don't know these guys. I don't know what they do, and I don't know what they are likely to push. I read the info sent out but it's not like an election where they state policies.

I did to leave it to those that are affected by these guys (as I don't race at that level, ever) and to those that know and want change.

I am however on the Vic Club committee - even if I do little it's all I can do to help.

I do give a rats arse about the sport but I don't think I should blunder in and change what's working on a half-arsed opinion.

Kevin G
29th May 2008, 08:38
So I would think as a committee member of an active road racing club you would know better than anyone the challanges/issues the sport is facing.

I am sure your club had its vote and I would assume that it would be discussed at club committee, surely? If you do not understand things is it not normal to ask?

There were various threads on this site about voting for board so the opportunity was there to ask as many questions as needed for you to understand.

The decisions made by the board effect racing and the sport at all levels and all disiplines so it will effect you.
The board are also steering the ship so they control direction, strategy, rules etc

Kevin Goddard

wharfy
29th May 2008, 11:40
I didn't vote as the voting papers arrived with my first MNZ competition license - I hadn't even been to a race !! Rest assured I will be taking an interest in how MNZ runs things and having a say when I have a clue.:(

Skunk
29th May 2008, 11:58
The decisions made by the board effect racing and the sport at all levels and all disiplines so it will effect you. Not quite true...

Warning rantings and ravings follow:

MY dealings with MNZ are easy. Get a license. The class I race isn't even on the license form.

These people I was asked to vote for - I didn't even know they existed before the form arrived. So for that I could say I don't need them eh? I've never had any contact from them nor had need to contact them so they're not doing anything for ME are they?

So for that I should bury my nose into the politics and systems of MNZ so I can vote for someone of no use to me. Great. I do have better things to do with my time like get my class noticed by MNZ as a feeder class to Streetstock etc.

Sorry but the whole of MNZ (and the likes of you it seems - I may be wrong) suggest that I should take an interest because it affects how some get their racing done.

If MNZ took an interest in my class instead of just taking my money I might just take a real interest. Until then I will work within the club until I have a need to deal with one of these mythical people. Then I will take a REAL interest in what they AREN'T doing to help. I figure if I don't know they're there they must be doing a good job or no job.

Call me selfish if you like but at least I don't complain on a forum about how things are - I got in at a club level to learn and to try and change them. Maybe not the way you would like. But I am doing it.

I see your point and frustration Kevin.

Andrew Presant
Buckteer.

scott411
29th May 2008, 15:15
If MNZ took an interest in my class instead of just taking my money I might just take a real interest. Until then I will work within the club until I have a need to deal with one of these mythical people. Then I will take a REAL interest in what they AREN'T doing to help. I figure if I don't know they're there they must be doing a good job or no job.

I will attempt to answer some of your valid points here ,

you are right, MNZ probebly do not spend enough time on Buckets, or Speedway Bikes, super motard, land speed records, trails, sealed hill climbs or other smaller diciplines,

Bucket racing comes under the direction of the road race comissioner (Paul Stewart) it is not a paid position , he does the best he can (the best if any comissioner in my opinion) but he does not have time to do every bit, since he actually has to earn a living at some stage,

There is no one that organises bucket racing below him and above the indivdual clubs that run the meetings, if there was it would be a non paid position as well, someone has to do it and i bet if you wanted to Paul would help you as much as you can, and you may not have the skills or time to do it,

one of the reasons you do not have a national number ot apply for is that there is little need for it,

Although MNZ might seem like an organisation that just takes your money, they provide the clubs and stewards with a valueable back up when they need it, with a group insurance scheme which provides cover, also when the shit hits the fan as it sometimes does with serious accidents they have hte experince to help the people invloved though it,

by no means are MNZ perfect, they do some stuff that we all disagree with, IMO they are needed,

Skunk
3rd June 2008, 13:51
Hope you didn't get me wrong. As far as I am concerned we do need them. And the job they are doing as great. Just not for me at my level. And that's my point.

As Shaun said 199 out of 5000+. But how many of those 5000+ will be affected by those people elected? Not me and I suspect the same is true many others. You need a license to do things outside the scope of MNZ's real interest and focus. Hence a 'poor' response.

Tim 39
3rd June 2008, 18:21
Not quite true...

Warning rantings and ravings follow:

MY dealings with MNZ are easy. Get a license. The class I race isn't even on the license form.

These people I was asked to vote for - I didn't even know they existed before the form arrived. So for that I could say I don't need them eh? I've never had any contact from them nor had need to contact them so they're not doing anything for ME are they?

So for that I should bury my nose into the politics and systems of MNZ so I can vote for someone of no use to me. Great. I do have better things to do with my time like get my class noticed by MNZ as a feeder class to Streetstock etc.

Sorry but the whole of MNZ (and the likes of you it seems - I may be wrong) suggest that I should take an interest because it affects how some get their racing done.

Call me selfish if you like but at least I don't complain on a forum about how things are - I got in at a club level to learn and to try and change them. Maybe not the way you would like. But I am doing it.

I see your point and frustration Kevin.

Andrew Presant
Buckteer.

The board of MNZ decide how things are to happen.. therefore the person/people you didn't vote against could be responsible for a drive to increase the price of licenses and permits, for all you know (ESPECIALLY when you know nothing about them!)

the MNZ board and the people on it affect every single licence holder the way I see it.

I voted so once again I have the right to whinge and moan when I see fit.

This is my opinion of course, so if anyone feels I'm wrong I probably am... in YOUR opinion

moT
4th June 2008, 09:23
We had a vote?? I probably would of been to lazy to vote anyway