PDA

View Full Version : '98 Honda Hornet 600. '98 Suzuki GSX750F

James Deuce
29th December 2004, 17:52
Left work early and took these two puppies for a ride. I took them up the road that heads up to Ngaumu out the back of Masterton, so I had a couple of decent straights, some sweepers and a couple of tighter corners.

Let's look at the Hornet first.

What an engine! Pity the poor thing is wasted in "that" chassis. The Hornet felt as tiny as the Buell XB9S I tried last year, and I was only able to see the (crap) mirrors if I turned my head quite significantly. The Instruments weren't particularly legible, and again I had to look down to see them

The seat had me wedged into a single position (I know, I know - you can add your own fat jokes below) which soon had my lower back aching due to the pounding dished out buy the VERY rudimentary suspension package.

Once off the straight bits, that seemed to disappear fairly rapidly I might add probably because I couldn't see the speedo, the little Hornet made a bit more sense, proving to be very flickable - and utterly scary! As soon as I upped the pace a little the front and rear end suspension action ended any concerted action, and replaced it with a delightful concertina action instead. Relaxing more, moving around on the bike, changing corner approaches to a more point and squirt mode, never really got rid of the mid-corner hinge-in-the-middle feeling.

Huge fun, but very limited in terms of general purpose use, and that suspension needs serious work.

The Suzuki GSX750F.

Well bugger me if Mooch didn't have a point. This fella has the early '90s oil/air cooled GSXR750 mill at it's heart, and while buzzy, it has a much stronger mid-range than the Hornet, purely thanks to extra CCs I would expect. The gearbox was typical Suzuki slickness, never complaining about too many or too few revs, and none of the clinking into gear that the Hornet displayed. Clutchless upshifts just happen with no effect on the driveline at all, quite unlike the Hornet, or even my much missed TRX.

The suspension was MUCH better than the Hornet, both ends of the 'bike were very well matched, so much so that it elicited no untoward responses from the old riding instincts. It steered FAR better than Mooch had led me to believe that it would, tipping in in a way that belied its apparent bulk and easily reacting to steering inputs while cranked over. The high bars make the bike look like it would be an upright armchair, but the slight lean to the bars takes all the weight off the lower back. There is just a little more room to the pegs than the TRX, but a lot more than the Hornet, which basically locked my legs up around my bum (or so it felt).

The GSX, even with its skinnier tyres felt a lot more secure mid-corner than the Hornet, with a better connection between throttle hand and rear tyre, and a lot less slop in the drive train, though that could be a maintenance (or lack of) issue.

The GSX definitely won that round. A much better bike than I expected, one less likely to lose me my license, while proving to be a better handler in the twisty stuff - quite surprising really. Heather also felt that the GSX looked better value for money, and a better (obviously) touring prospect.

On a final note - always confirm the condition of the bikes you are testing before you arrive to test them. The mileage of the Hornet was listed as 4800km in both Motorcycle Trader and the Bikepoint website, when in fact it was 48,000. And looked like every one of them.

Blakamin
29th December 2004, 18:08
Were they both in masterton, Jim???
have you tried that VFR yet???

James Deuce
29th December 2004, 18:09
Were they both in masterton, Jim???
have you tried that VFR yet???

Both in Masterton.

The VFR has been sold.

Blakamin
29th December 2004, 18:13
Both in Masterton.

The VFR has been sold.
Bugger!.... hope the Suzi is the go for you then :apint:

2_SL0
29th December 2004, 18:23
I think you have your answer. Shame to hear the Hornet is a bit of a poor performer in handling department.

Bonez
29th December 2004, 18:51
Both in Masterton.

The VFR has been sold.Is that Zepher 750 still there?

moko
29th December 2004, 19:01
Hornet`s got a great rep for handling but after that mileage with a bit of neglect they`ll go as soggy as anything else,if you`re buying on a budget then stuff like new shocks e.t.c. soon bang the true cost upwards.
GSX750 is one of those bikes that always gets a good write-up in the bike press but invariably is up against the VFR where it`s always going to come second.Like the 600 they`re slightly off the pace these days but not as much as you`d think.Biggest downer is the finish but that`s in Britain and your climate`s a whole lot kinder.One of those bikes that a lot of people slag off but only those that have never ridden them,RIDE magazine (Britains best seller)called it 90% of the VFR at 50% of the price(referring to used prices).

dangerous
29th December 2004, 19:42
Hey jim, I see that you mentioned a VFR at some stage..... well If you can find one of them IMO thats what I'd go for.
I had a 97 750 in Oz rated it big time fast as hell (had been dyno jetted and carbon high rise can) and a 86 not so long ago with 140,000k on it and it was sweet as still under the cam covers. Now I wouldent have a 4cyl cos as far as I'm concerned they belong in cars but the V4 is awesome with the low down punch of a v2 and the long legs of a 4 I would also travel more than 1000km in a day and never felt like It was uncomfortable. Just my thoughts good luck.

James Deuce
29th December 2004, 19:45
Hornet`s got a great rep for handling but after that mileage with a bit of neglect they`ll go as soggy as anything else,if you`re buying on a budget then stuff like new shocks e.t.c. soon bang the true cost upwards.
GSX750 is one of those bikes that always gets a good write-up in the bike press but invariably is up against the VFR where it`s always going to come second.Like the 600 they`re slightly off the pace these days but not as much as you`d think.Biggest downer is the finish but that`s in Britain and your climate`s a whole lot kinder.One of those bikes that a lot of people slag off but only those that have never ridden them,RIDE magazine (Britains best seller)called it 90% of the VFR at 50% of the price(referring to used prices).

I think you've encapsulated my feelings nicely there Moko. A '98 VFR is about $12k for a similar mileage one. Being utterly honest with myself, I'm still going to get a riding lesson every time I follow Paul in NZ on his Mk2 Guzzi Le Mans anyway, so it's not what I buy so much as how I ride it. The Hornet really was a bit nasty. I can see why people like them, but there is built to a budget, and then there is built to a BUDGET.

James Deuce
29th December 2004, 19:52
Is that Zepher 750 still there?

I think so - not my cup of tea though. :)

I think YOU'D love it however.

gav
29th December 2004, 22:27
Dunno what happened to the YZF750 at Trevor Pierces either, got there this morning and found they didnt open till 10.00. Saw it through the window and looked OK, went back around 2.30 and it was gone. Took a VTR1000 for a test ride, gone about 40 minutes I suppose and still wasnt ther when I got back. Have u heard from Kickaha about it?

Mencius
29th December 2004, 22:49
Both in Masterton.

Not in Masterton Motorcycles by any chance?

If so were you there at about 2.45 pm?

Ang

James Deuce
30th December 2004, 05:52
Not in Masterton Motorcycles by any chance?

If so were you there at about 2.45 pm?

Ang

It was Masterton Motorcycles, but I didn't get there until 4:15pm.

Mencius
30th December 2004, 08:35
It was Masterton Motorcycles, but I didn't get there until 4:15pm.

That Hornet saw a lot of action yesterday then!

Ang

James Deuce
30th December 2004, 08:39
Dunno what happened to the YZF750 at Trevor Pierces either, got there this morning and found they didnt open till 10.00. Saw it through the window and looked OK, went back around 2.30 and it was gone. Took a VTR1000 for a test ride, gone about 40 minutes I suppose and still wasnt ther when I got back. Have u heard from Kickaha about it?

Monsterbishi bought the fekking thing. Kickaha is just organising some tattooed fellas to bring the smack down to the dude for Xmas. Gumble grumble.

Gave - could you do me a favour and check out the FZR600? It looks nice in the photos, and I know it's high mileage, but could you make sure that it has both lockstops and the front axle nuts aren't bevelled from sliding down the road?

If you or Kickaha could take it for a ride I'd be suitably grateful :)

Cheers

Jim

mangell6
30th December 2004, 15:04
Being utterly honest with myself, I'm still going to get a riding lesson every time I follow Paul in NZ on his Mk2 Guzzi Le Mans anyway, so it's not what I buy so much as how I ride it.

Sigh, are you listening . . . . .

Ears on . . . . .

To ride any where near like Paul In NZ you first need a . . . . . . wait for it . . . . .

GUZZI.

:Pokey:

FROSTY
30th December 2004, 15:21
Jim--with a BOL on the weather front I'll be hading down your way new years.
Hold on fella and ya can take my viffer for a ride--see if ya like em.

James Deuce
30th December 2004, 16:02
Jim--with a BOL on the weather front I'll be hading down your way new years.
Hold on fella and ya can take my viffer for a ride--see if ya like em.

Good Idea!

Cheers

Jim

moko
31st December 2004, 23:45
Jim,FZR600? Surely too cramped for a bloke with bad knees,thought you were looking away from the sporty stuff.

James Deuce
1st January 2005, 18:26
Jim,FZR600? Surely too cramped for a bloke with bad knees,thought you were looking away from the sporty stuff.
Earlymid 90s sportbikes have riding postitions like modern sports tourers. Well they do for me anyway :). The FZR600 I'm looking at actually is an official Yam model which is effectively the YZF750 Chassis with the FZR600 engine in it, so I know what I'm looking at in terms of riding position.

Thanks for the warning though :)

moko
2nd January 2005, 05:19
I`ve got a feeling Jim that the FZR we got was more a case of a 600 motor squeezed into a 400 chassis,the older FZ600 definately was, because it definately had a rep for being too small for taller riders.I know there`s sometimes quite a difference between bikes for various markets.

moko
2nd January 2005, 05:43
This one`s well-worth a look Jim,loads of advice,info e.t.c.

http://www.tourtimemedia.com/fzr/

James Deuce
2nd January 2005, 05:55
This one`s well-worth a look Jim,loads of advice,info e.t.c.

http://www.tourtimemedia.com/fzr/

Cheers!

this is the one I'm looking at:
http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=593774&TabID=3553&Alias=bikepointnz

Ghost Lemur
2nd January 2005, 10:18
Love the purple wheels.

James Deuce
2nd January 2005, 11:55
Love the purple wheels.

Said the man with the pink avatar. ;)

moko
3rd January 2005, 07:59
He`s got a nice FZR750 on that site as well for not too much more.All his bikes look good.

James Deuce
3rd January 2005, 08:48
He`s got a nice FZR750 on that site as well for not too much more.All his bikes look good.

He sold the (FZR?) YZF750R to Monsterbishi, a new KBer last week.

Buggrit.

moko
4th January 2005, 01:44
Love the purple wheels.

Ever seen one with the "Fruit Cocktail" paint job?think one of Yam`s designers was exploring his feminine side when he came up with that one.I was in a Yam dealer`s a couple of years ago and they`d just got some new 600 Diversions in,hard enough to sell at the best of times then because everyone was buying Bandits,they were in a kind of dark pink colour"How the fuck am I supposed to sell that?"says the bloke.

James Deuce
4th January 2005, 07:11
Ever seen one with the "Fruit Cocktail" paint job?think one of Yam`s designers was exploring his feminine side when he came up with that one.I was in a Yam dealer`s a couple of years ago and they`d just got some new 600 Diversions in,hard enough to sell at the best of times then because everyone was buying Bandits,they were in a kind of dark pink colour"How the fuck am I supposed to sell that?"says the bloke.

LOL! I know the colour. There used to be on floating round Wellington.