PDA

View Full Version : Bike suggestions please

nigelp
28th May 2008, 08:31
I am looking to get a bike that I can do a bit of touring on (specifically around NZ). I am a bit stuck as to ideas on what I want as I have primarily had dirt/adventure bikes.

My requirements are as follows:

Needs to comfortably carry me and my partner and our gear (say 200kgs total)
Needs to have enough power to have a decent average speed (120ish ave)
Needs to have a comfy seat as Mrs get sore arse on my current bike after an hour or so.
Need to be able to carry luggage (panniers/top box)

Any thoughts

nodrog
28th May 2008, 08:39
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?bikead=yes&p=1582339

xgnr
28th May 2008, 10:19
I am looking to get a bike that I can do a bit of touring on (specifically around NZ). I am a bit stuck as to ideas on what I want as I have primarily had dirt/adventure bikes.

Needs to have a comfy seat as Mrs get sore arse on my current bike after an hour or so.

Any thoughts

As always it will come down to how much cash ya got!

Have a look at some of the older BMW's on Tardme (but then again I am biased.)

High mileage isn't a problem as long as they have been serviced regularly.

Cheers

Stu

nigelp
28th May 2008, 10:50
Yeah I was thinking about an 1999-2003 1150GS or something similar as I like the upright riding position and the fact that you can have a bit of gravel confidence with them!

Regarding price want to spend around $10k so puts the KTM 990 out of my range.

NZsarge
28th May 2008, 12:51
Although gravel is not completely out of the question for one but certainly not it's forte.

What about a Yamaha TDM900?

Highly underrated motorcycle.

pritch
28th May 2008, 15:15
Don't overlook the Hornet.

Amazing bang for the buck. Comfy and the best passenger accomodation in the Honda range short of an ST.

Can take Givi boxes or a Ventura pack rack. Loads of grunt and over 300k tank range. What's not to like?

But then I'm biased...

nigelp
28th May 2008, 15:15
Good point, havent seen any around Chch (or anywhere infact) before. They do look as though they would tour rather well! Many available on the grey market?

Blackbird
28th May 2008, 15:24
If you're happy with your current bike but simply want more comfort, just get your seat re-foamed and/or re-shaped here: www.trimit.co.nz. The "full works" costs about $500 delivered - best money you'll ever spend. I had the Blackbird done, did the Southen Cross round NZ in 5 days endurance ride and my rear end didn't suffer at all. A product that really lives up to its rep.

If you buy another bike, treat it to one of these anyway!

nigelp
28th May 2008, 16:16
If you're happy with your current bike but simply want more comfort, just get your seat re-foamed and/or re-shaped here: www.trimit.co.nz. The "full works" costs about $500 delivered - best money you'll ever spend.
If you buy another bike, treat it to one of these anyway!

Current bike is 650cc adventure bike and slightly underpowered (45-50hp) two up with gear. Want something that feels a bit more comfortable at open road speeds etc.

I do like the sound of the hornet, might have to drop into Hampton Honda that everyone is raving about here in Chch.

oldrider
28th May 2008, 16:28

Any thoughts

Triumph Tiger, any model. :done: John.

mashman
28th May 2008, 16:29
Current bike is 650cc adventure bike and slightly underpowered (45-50hp) two up with gear. Want something that feels a bit more comfortable at open road speeds etc.

I do like the sound of the hornet, might have to drop into Hampton Honda that everyone is raving about here in Chch.

Perfect all rounder - TUONO!!!

AllanB
28th May 2008, 17:51
Hornet 900.
:2thumbsup

nigelp
28th May 2008, 21:42
I have seen a bit around on the RF900R - are they good mile eaters and comfortable two up? Or are they quite sporty in terms of riding position?

FROSTY
28th May 2008, 21:48
bllody comfortable for the pillion but ya might want to fit the bar conversion that raises the bars about 25mm.
My suggestion has to be a XJ900 diversion--only about 80hp but comfortable and easy to ride

HornetBoy
29th May 2008, 09:04
I have seen a bit around on the RF900R - are they good mile eaters and comfortable two up? Or are they quite sporty in terms of riding position?

Id give YOD a message on here,he has owned an RF900 for a while ,carrys a pillion quite alot and would be able to give you a pretty good review on how they were in that respect mate .

Personally id go with a hornet 900 major bang for your buck.

Owned one myself for about 6 months and cant say enough about them in terms of touring capabilities.

Just add a screen and youll be right !

zadok
29th May 2008, 09:08
Triumph Tiger, any model. :done: John.

+1 up to '06:msn-wink:

clint640
29th May 2008, 12:04
How about a V-Strom? You'd get a new one of those for the price of a 2nd hand 1150GS.

Cheers
Clint

nigelp
29th May 2008, 12:06
I tested a Vstrom when originally purchasing my current bike. Like the way it felt but wonder if it has enough go 2-up with gear?

Anyone else do any touring on a Vstrom?

alanzs
29th May 2008, 15:54
Bandit 1200/1250 has all the power you'll need. Fairly upright riding position. With a Ventura pack system, it may be what you need. Also, they are great value for money. For $10k, you'd get a fairly new one as well. I have toured mine all over the west coast of the USA. With a gel seat, my missus and my asses never got sore. YMHO

N1CK
29th May 2008, 18:17
I tested a Vstrom when originally purchasing my current bike. Like the way it felt but wonder if it has enough go 2-up with gear?

Anyone else do any touring on a Vstrom?

Was that the 650 or the 1000?
I am sure the 1000 would have enough power to carry 2 people and gear.

nigelp
29th May 2008, 19:41
Was that the 650 or the 1000?
I am sure the 1000 would have enough power to carry 2 people and gear.

It was the 650 - felt fine, but two up would be a different story I am guessing!

oldrider
30th May 2008, 13:13
It was the 650 - felt fine, but two up would be a different story I am guessing!

Too much money to rely on a "guess" Nige! :oi-grr:

Try them all out and don't forget to try a "Tiger"! :ride:

If you don't like them, then it doesn't matter, move on, try another brand. :scooter:

That's why they are called demonstrators! :shifty: Cheers John.

jrandom
30th May 2008, 13:18

Any thoughts

I had identical requirements to yours, with the additional requirement that I wanted to be able to keep up with me mates on sprotbikes at trackdays and in the twisties (or at least know that if I wasn't keeping up, it wasn't the bike's fault).

I went with a GSX1400 - make sure you try one out before making your final purchasing decision. beyond has written a good review of his 1400, do a search on the forums.

The big Suzuki goes pretty well on gravel, too, surprisingly enough.

Edit: If you actually plan on averaging 120kph point to point around the country, you'll definitely need something like a 1400! I suspect you're talking more about just sitting at 120 on the open road, though, right?

mbazza
30th May 2008, 21:11
Hi Nigalp, Have you thought about the V-strom 1000? A bit big for me, one up. But has a goos touring reputation and can, if needed go gravel. Cheers. :banana:

Snakeman
30th May 2008, 21:50
a Suzuki Bandit, a GSX1400 or a Blackbird are a good all-round kinda bike to travel on with gear and a pillion, although all the pillions that I know seem to pick the Hayabusa rear seat over everything else for comfort. :first:

Most of my pillions always ask me to take the Busa out instead of the 11 with the exception of only a couple of chicks that still like riding on the back of the 11 as well as the 13.

bull
31st May 2008, 03:28
Considered something like this?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-157022712.htm

alanzs
31st May 2008, 18:35
a Suzuki Bandit, a GSX1400 or a Blackbird are a good all-round kinda bike to travel on with gear and a pillion, although all the pillions that I know seem to pick the Hayabusa rear seat over everything else for comfort. :first:

Most of my pillions always ask me to take the Busa out instead of the 11 with the exception of only a couple of chicks that still like riding on the back of the 11 as well as the 13.

My wife hated the Busa's rear seat. She said she was much more in the wind than when on my Bandit.

Maybe they just like the intense acceleration feeling you get from the Busa just aren't telling you? :2thumbsup

nallac
31st May 2008, 20:01
you've had lots of good suggestions so far.
all bikes i'd like to try at some stage as well.
just need to test ride em all,

i've got Hornetboys old hornet and if i was going to tour on it
i would definately get the riderzs seat on .

Drew
31st May 2008, 20:09
Go ride a hornet, then buy mine!

Aside from my obvious want to sell, they are a great bike for the long haul. Never managed to get 300k's from a tank of juice on mine, but I only really do short trips on it, and round town stuff. Even when I'm punting it I get over 200 though.

the Bandit is another good machine, all comes down to what you like.

www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?bikead=yes&p=1506911

Upgrader
31st May 2008, 20:22
demo'd a new Triumph Rcoker touring m,odel, d*mn sweet, great rear seat. Not my cuppa buyt ya might want ta stir it yourself. Torq to the max, an not to pricey. Or a full-fig Harley dresser.

Snakeman
31st May 2008, 21:42
My wife hated the Busa's rear seat. She said she was much more in the wind than when on my Bandit.

It's interesting that your wife says that, because one of my pillions mentions the same thing, but I think she sits further back on the 13 than she does on the 11 and the other one tells me that she has to duck forward a little more which could be to do with my riding position, although I probably shouldn't have been spending $2.80 while she was with me :msn-wink: