PDA

View Full Version : Bike transport

TuonoTom
28th May 2008, 20:50
Hey so I need to transport my bike from Christchurch to Whakatane (or somewhere close to Whakatane) at the end of the year. Any ideas on what I would expect to pay to get it shipped, and who does bike shipping? Thanks for the help guys.

Tom

nallac
29th May 2008, 08:17
it cost me $500 to get a bike shipped from Christchurch to Warkworth(just north of auckland) by bike tranz.
could have done it for $450 thru cycle movers but they couldn't have done it for another week.

so those are the two to try, if ya do a search you'll find their #'s on here some where.

SVboy
29th May 2008, 08:39
See Trademe-sportsbikes-theres somebody offering to move bikes as a one-off for $200.

"D" FZ1
29th May 2008, 08:57
Call Matt at Bike Tranz. 04 2985469. Tell him Dave from Waikato Yamaha put you on to them. Be wary of cheap operators. Bike Tranz move a lot of bikes for me and are reliable and don't damage anything.

SKIDA//00
29th May 2008, 08:58
[QUOTE=CBR250Tom;1583617]Hey so I need to transport my bike from Christchurch to Whakatane (or somewhere close to Whakatane) at the end of the year. Any ideas on what I would expect to pay to get it shipped, and who does bike shipping? Thanks for the help guys.

use cyclemove they a far better the biketranz trust me...

TuonoTom
29th May 2008, 12:38
See Trademe-sportsbikes-theres somebody offering to move bikes as a one-off for $200.

Yeah I found that guy yesterday. Gave him an email but he's only able to transport bikes on these dates:

Route 1: Depart Wednesday 4 June 08
Route 2: Depart Friday 6 June 08

I have just sent a request for a quote to bike tranz, and will get a quote from cyclemove soon. Thanks for the help :niceone:

xwhatsit
29th May 2008, 12:54
Get GiJoe1313 to ride it :cool:

TuonoTom
29th May 2008, 17:25

Err who's that?

nallac
29th May 2008, 17:32

dunno if he does such short rides?.

MDR2
29th May 2008, 18:27
Just used captain transporter to get my bike from auck to dunners, packed it up in a crate and sent it to McIvor and veitch, turned up at the shop and they didn't know anything about it but called the wife anyway to see what the deal was ( she shipped it down without me knowing) and then McIvor and Veitch charged her a fee for taking it out of the crate it was delivered in.

Captain transporter are reimbursing her that fee though. She say's they were really helpful and aside from the mishap with the drop off point she would recommend them to ANYONE.

TuonoTom
29th May 2008, 20:28
dunno if he does such short rides?.

I wouldn't have thought Chch to Whakatane was a short ride....

munterk6
29th May 2008, 23:14
I wouldn't have thought Chch to Whakatane was a short ride....
well it is for gijoe....believe us!

hellkat
30th May 2008, 21:09
This is a really dumb question:
Why can you not ride it yourself?
Seems "not all that far" to me.

Last time I was home, we rode our XJ900 from Timaru to Auckland.
It was a great ride.

But then we had lots of days to do it.
I suppose if you don't have the holidays or something ... personal circumstances, work, hmmmmm, er ... stuff.

*trails off, listlessly*

nallac
31st May 2008, 04:21
yes riding it back would be ideal,
if i bought another bike from down south i'd definatly ride it back
rather than shipping it.
wish i did with the last one..

McDuck
31st May 2008, 09:30
Was 400 tot ake the 250 from dunners to my dor in costlands.

TuonoTom
1st June 2008, 15:40
This is a really dumb question:
Why can you not ride it yourself?
Seems "not all that far" to me.

Last time I was home, we rode our XJ900 from Timaru to Auckland.
It was a great ride.

But then we had lots of days to do it.
I suppose if you don't have the holidays or something ... personal circumstances, work, hmmmmm, er ... stuff.

*trails off, listlessly*

I've been riding for three weeks, and I'd rather not ride all that way on my learners....

hellkat
1st June 2008, 16:10
Ah bless.
Gotta start some time, kiddo.

I did a horrendous ride in the UK when I first got my bike, I think I'd had it about a month (and had only had my CBT licence for less than six months).

I went to visit a mate in Southampton, on a little 125, my boyfriend at the time checked it over for me, and off I went, map in hand. What a lovely sunny day. Jeans, t-shirt, sneakers and a leather jacket that doesn't zip up (still got that jacket, wear it every time I ride, LOL)

By the time I got to Southampton (3 hours later) it had started to sleet, and I managed to get there, completely soaked through.

Parked up, partied on for the weekend, and woke up on Sunday to 4 inches of snow. Had to get back to work for Monday morning in London, so I wiped it all off and headed off at noon.

Dropped the bike within 5 miles, had to call a mate in London who called a mate of his in Winchester, who came out to rescue me. The bloke (who I had never met before) straightened up my handlebars, and I set off again.

Snow drifts, heavy traffic, black ice... luckily I had a (thin) jumper in my top-box so I put that on: one extra layer, and still no jacket zipping up over my capacious chest.

As it started to get dusk, I pulled over to offer help to a couple of people who looked a bit lost. Nope, they were just warming their hands on the exhaust before they started off again. As I took off, they noticed I had no headlight, so they offered to ride in tandem with me till their motorway slip-road.

Once they left me, I nearly bottled it, and pulled up in the local train station carpark, was about to chain the bike to a lamp-post and get a train back to London, when I thought I better move my bike to another part of the forecourt ... but as I started it up, the headlight started to work again, so I thought "fukkit, I'm going on, all the way to London" ... I got home at 8pm, frozen, almost frostbitten, it took me 3 hours under a duvet to warm back up again and stop shivering. How I never died of influenza I'll never know.

Never never never again do I want to ride in snow if I can possibly help it ... ghastly stuff.

Not quite as far as Christchurch to Whakatane, but equally as intrepid ;)

But its journeys like that which give you experience and stories to dine-out on, in later years.

Last week I woulda offered to ride it up for ya, as I have a fair bit of spare time on me hands currently - but me dad's just booked me on a flight back to Auckland next weekend, so I will be at the other end of the country.

TuonoTom
2nd June 2008, 00:09
Ah bless.
Gotta start some time, kiddo.

I did a horrendous ride in the UK when I first got my bike, I think I'd had it about a month (and had only had my CBT licence for less than six months).

I went to visit a mate in Southampton, on a little 125, my boyfriend at the time checked it over for me, and off I went, map in hand. What a lovely sunny day. Jeans, t-shirt, sneakers and a leather jacket that doesn't zip up (still got that jacket, wear it every time I ride, LOL)

By the time I got to Southampton (3 hours later) it had started to sleet, and I managed to get there, completely soaked through.

Parked up, partied on for the weekend, and woke up on Sunday to 4 inches of snow. Had to get back to work for Monday morning in London, so I wiped it all off and headed off at noon.

Dropped the bike within 5 miles, had to call a mate in London who called a mate of his in Winchester, who came out to rescue me. The bloke (who I had never met before) straightened up my handlebars, and I set off again.

Snow drifts, heavy traffic, black ice... luckily I had a (thin) jumper in my top-box so I put that on: one extra layer, and still no jacket zipping up over my capacious chest.

As it started to get dusk, I pulled over to offer help to a couple of people who looked a bit lost. Nope, they were just warming their hands on the exhaust before they started off again. As I took off, they noticed I had no headlight, so they offered to ride in tandem with me till their motorway slip-road.

Once they left me, I nearly bottled it, and pulled up in the local train station carpark, was about to chain the bike to a lamp-post and get a train back to London, when I thought I better move my bike to another part of the forecourt ... but as I started it up, the headlight started to work again, so I thought "fukkit, I'm going on, all the way to London" ... I got home at 8pm, frozen, almost frostbitten, it took me 3 hours under a duvet to warm back up again and stop shivering. How I never died of influenza I'll never know.

Never never never again do I want to ride in snow if I can possibly help it ... ghastly stuff.

Not quite as far as Christchurch to Whakatane, but equally as intrepid ;)

But its journeys like that which give you experience and stories to dine-out on, in later years.

Last week I woulda offered to ride it up for ya, as I have a fair bit of spare time on me hands currently - but me dad's just booked me on a flight back to Auckland next weekend, so I will be at the other end of the country.

That's one hell of a story right there! Very interesting too.... Can't wait to ride in the snow :cool:

TOTO
2nd June 2008, 00:18
wide youu bike to wakatane

Papa Bear
2nd June 2008, 11:26
We used Captain Transporter to bring Little Angel's RF900R from Dannivirke to Christchurch for about $400. There was no problems with their service at all and would use them again in a heartbeat.Two thumbs up:niceone::niceone: