PDA

View Full Version : Loaners

xwhatsit
28th May 2008, 21:11
I know you lot will probably laugh at me, but I remember when I was a wee fulla and mum's car got rear-ended. The panelbeater had a ugly sack-o'-shite loan car we pootled around in for however long it took the mighty Hyundai to get fixed.

My fecked bike is about to be fixed up by some bike shop or other once I decide who to give it to. Paid for by Mr Twunt's insurance company, State.

Am I going to get a GN250 to rumble around on for a few days, courtesy of the bike shop or State? The RS is my only transport an' all.

Ixion
28th May 2008, 21:15
Very possibly. Or, something better. Most bike shops will ahve a loaner or two about (often the last machine traded in, though some keep a permanent machine for the purpose. A miserable existence it must lead ) .It is common practice, but I imagine you probably have to ask. No loaner, go elsewhere.

tri boy
28th May 2008, 21:29
Ask, and you will probably receive.

xwhatsit
28th May 2008, 21:42
Kewl. While I'm here, anybody want to recommend their favourite bike shop who'll fix my wee RS up quickly and nicely?

peasea
28th May 2008, 22:00
I know you lot will probably laugh at me, but I remember when I was a wee fulla and mum's car got rear-ended. The panelbeater had a ugly sack-o'-shite loan car we pootled around in for however long it took the mighty Hyundai to get fixed.

My fecked bike is about to be fixed up by some bike shop or other once I decide who to give it to. Paid for by Mr Twunt's insurance company, State.

Am I going to get a GN250 to rumble around on for a few days, courtesy of the bike shop or State? The RS is my only transport an' all.

A GN250? You lucky bastard.

xwhatsit
28th May 2008, 22:04
A GN250? You lucky bastard.
Would prefer that for lane-splitting to uni, compared with an FXDS :sweatdrop

peasea
28th May 2008, 22:06
Would prefer that for lane-splitting to uni, compared with an FXDS :sweatdrop

Log splitting would be more the thing.

yod
28th May 2008, 22:12
go for a mighty scorpio

jrandom
29th May 2008, 08:00
Yeah, you'll get a loaner. Ask and ye shall receive, etc.

Holeshot always loaner me up when Betty's in for a service.

The trick with them, I've found, is to book in on a day when their pair of ratty old GS500s have already been loaned out, and they have to give you something tasty off the showroom floor.

:D

Not that there's anything wrong with a GS500.

In fact, I'd rather have a GS500 in traffic than most bikes on their showroom floor, come to think of it.

vifferman
29th May 2008, 09:11
Very possibly. Or, something better. Most bike shops will ahve a loaner or two about.
Or not.
I've had only one bike shop with a loaner available, and that was only when I pushed a bit for one.

It is common practice, but I imagine you probably have to ask. No loaner, go elsewhere.
Not so common, Mr Ixion. I think the "go elsewhere" is a good option.
Holeshot are one shop that are very good with that sort of thing.

TerminalAddict
29th May 2008, 09:11
thanks the good dude you ain't in hamilton ...

I've complained so many times to boyds about their lack of a loaner

xwhatsit
29th May 2008, 12:30
Reckon they'll give me a Busa? I'm nearly old enough to get my full :sunny:

NOMIS
29th May 2008, 12:48
Check your policey I didnt get anything im with state.. they didnt give me sweet stuff all. ITs all in your policy buddy

xwhatsit
29th May 2008, 12:55
Check your policey I didnt get anything im with state.. they didnt give me sweet stuff all. ITs all in your policy buddy
I don't have no stinking policy. Insurance is for pussies.

Tank
29th May 2008, 14:52
Yeah, you'll get a loaner. Ask and ye shall receive, etc.

Holeshot always loaner me up when Betty's in for a service.

The trick with them, I've found, is to book in on a day when their pair of ratty old GS500s have already been loaned out, and they have to give you something tasty off the showroom floor.

:D

Not that there's anything wrong with a GS500.

In fact, I'd rather have a GS500 in traffic than most bikes on their showroom floor, come to think of it.

(honestly) Just got back from Holshot about an hour ago after returning the GS500 loaner. It was a bit thrashed - but now I know that it was Jrandom who did it.

They always have bikes available and twice have been given basically brand new ones off the showroom.

The service guys are really nice to deal with as well.

I would happily recommend them any-day.

Swoop
29th May 2008, 15:03
I have had the priveledge of a litre bike as a loaner. Noiiice!:niceone:
Really it was their shop "demo" but since I had asked for a loaner, they provided.
The very small tangible benefit's of buying a new bike.

BM-GS
29th May 2008, 15:16
Always ask, as they won't offer. Ask as early as you can in the process (services, etc) so that they don't give it to someone else, or have to move your service to match the loaner's availability.

Points to note:
1. BMW shops have loaners and they'll give you something unlike what you currently ride, to see if they can tempt you. That also widens your horizons.
2. Usually I got the shop hack, but:
3. I got a ZX9-R (big, bulbous, first one) once.
4. I got an R1 another time!
5. All while my assorted 600s got serviced...

Oakie
29th May 2008, 19:13
The last time I had to use a loaner it was a 1200cc Bandit and I'd never ridden anything bigger than a 400 prior to that. A little bit apprehensive I was as I left and then a bit more so when the parting comment was "Oh be careful Richard .... it's got brand new tyres on it." I had a ball on it though for three days. Really surprised me how 'commutable' it was. Oh and of course at their suggestion I kept it for an extra half day to go for a hoon up the motorway on Saturday morning.
Yay for Sportzone Suzuki.

Squiggles
29th May 2008, 19:26
The question is... how many shops'll give out loaners to non-fully licensed riders?

jrandom
29th May 2008, 19:28
The question is... how many shops'll give out loaners to non-fully licensed riders?

Your luck's probably pretty low in that case, although I believe that Holeshot do have one 250cc loaner for non-fully licenced riders.

Squiggles
29th May 2008, 21:20
Your luck's probably pretty low in that case, although I believe that Holeshot do have one 250cc loaner for non-fully licenced riders.

Yer, then again, xers might end up with a scooter to run in

DMNTD
29th May 2008, 21:28
Bike shops certainly aren't obliged to give you a loaner but most seem to. Hell the good people at GP Honda in Mt Maunganui even gave me their demo Blade when they were dyno'n my "old" ZX10...fortunately Honda NZ was running a promotion that if you demo'd a new Honda that you went into the draw to win some serious prises. I won a track day/tuition day with Aaron Slight at the Taupo track :banana:

When customers come into work we generally give them a demo bike (we have 9 atm) or if they're on L plates they get a Scorpio.

swbarnett
29th May 2008, 21:31
Last time I had my GN250 in at Holeshot I got a two month old full fairing GS500 with around 4,000km on the clock as a loaner. As far as I was concerned they could keep mine as long as they liked. Unfortunately I came away very impressed with the service I received.

swbarnett
29th May 2008, 23:32
Always ask, as they won't offer.
Not so with Holeshot. I was all ready to hop on the bus into town to get to work and the mechanic sent me up to the sales staff for a loaner.

xwhatsit
30th May 2008, 01:20
That's a good point.

Talked to Holeshot, they want bits of paperwork from insurance company first, but nonetheless got transferred down to some Pommy git in the basement. Seemed a thoroughly good cunt, had nice things to say about 250RSs (`they go awright, dunnit? Me an' my mates used to jump wun down our stairs, like, it was a right larf!'), and seemed quite enthusiastic about sorting my bike out (unlike Mt Eden, the chap there sounded very sad, bored and about as excited about fixing my bike as he would about getting a cold, damp teabag in his porridge. Fair enough).

Mr Holeshot says they don't normally give out loaners for insurance jobs, as they do take a while. However he said as it's my only transport, he'll get the parts shipped first, line the panelbeater up, take my bike in on a Friday, and then hopefully it'll be done by Tuesday. I ride some sack of shit they can't get rid of in the mean time.

Conquiztador
30th May 2008, 02:22
What a brilliant idea!!!

Next time I fix my bike I make sure I provide a loaner to my self!!

zeocen
30th May 2008, 09:25
That sucks about Mt Eden, they're usually enthusiastic and always are with my bike, although I *did* buy mine from them so that could sway them.

On my 1000km service they threw an '06 Z750 at me for a loaner, which was the tits to ride! Then when I went to change the bars and upgrade my brakes on my bike they gave me a curve ball, and threw me a Vulcan 900! That was an entirely different experience :D Never had either long as they are swift with their tools~ It sucks that you got someone in workshop that didn't care for Natalie :<

My old man deals with Holeshot and usually gets loaners if he needs one, and as yet has no complaint of product !

You can always get an a100 as a loaner, just don't feed her lawnmower oil ;P!!

ManDownUnder
30th May 2008, 09:35
Kewl. While I'm here, anybody want to recommend their favourite bike shop who'll fix my wee RS up quickly and nicely?

GIXXERS_THOUS_ARE_US in a town near you!

xwhatsit
30th May 2008, 12:12
That sucks about Mt Eden, they're usually enthusiastic and always are with my bike, although I *did* buy mine from them so that could sway them.
Yeah, but I have no money and ride an ancient piece of shit. Hence, no point in impressing me, they can't make a buck ;)

Ixion
30th May 2008, 15:19
Yeah, but I have no money and ride an ancient piece of shit. Hence, no point in impressing me, they can't make a buck ;)

Ah. That'll be the reason they turn the dog loose, and ostentatiously chain everything up as soon as they see me wander in.

It's probably not the half empty meths bottle sticking out of my pocket after all.

Pumba
30th May 2008, 19:29
(honestly) Just got back from Holshot about an hour ago after returning the GS500 loaner. It was a bit thrashed - but now I know that it was Jrandom who did it.

Just be thankfull he hasent written it off:dodge:

Always got a loaner from Colemans, didnt get one from AMPS today though.

Gremlin
31st May 2008, 19:10
just about always had loaners, maybe the first couple of services I didn't, but Mt Eden is in the city, and I was a student at the time, so not necessary. The one day they even dropped me into uni. Other shop that I use is Botany Honda.

Basically expect a loaner now, doesn't matter too much, as long as it will not try to kill me on the motorway.

Had a good variety, and even ridden the bosses loaners when he didn't like them :yes: With the variety I have had, its even a good way to test bikes:
Virago 250 - mmm I'm 6'3, 100kg... no
CB250 - funny... zero torque
KLX250 - did the job, odd bike
SV 650 - good for splitting, crap front end
Dragstar 650 - closest I came to crashing a loaner... twice
ER6 - naked one... hates males, that tank is evil on... y'know
SXV550 - should be illegal, its that much fun
Concourse 14 - bosses loaner, he hated trying to handle it, good torque, it didn't like corners