PDA

View Full Version : GULL 99 octane with 10% ethanol

huck farley
29th May 2008, 18:05
Tried a tank full of the Gull 99 Octane with 10% ethanol in it. Boy I could notice the power straight away.
I could never lift the front wheel on my bike even If I tried. But on Sunday not even trying, and up the wheel come about a metre. I put that down to Gull 99 octane.
I will not ever buy BP again. Unless it is absolutely necessary. I think I will stick to GULL. By the way it's the same price as BP 91. nuff said. I highly recommend the stuff.
Love to here from anyone else who has tried the Gull 99 ron with 10% ethanol.

kiwifruit
29th May 2008, 18:14
I've tried it, made no noticeable difference to performance

Coyote
29th May 2008, 18:34
I thought ethanol was meant to be bad for performance? And others things that shouldn't be mentioned if this thread is to keep on topic

James Deuce
29th May 2008, 18:46
Got rubber fuel lines? Don't use fuel with ethanol in it.

Motu
29th May 2008, 19:17
Got rubber fuel lines? Don't use fuel with ethanol in it.

Even worse if you tried to use petrol in rubber fuel lines.

Grahameeboy
29th May 2008, 19:19
I've tried it, made no noticeable difference to performance

What on your pedal cycle:pinch:

HornetBoy
29th May 2008, 19:24
Would like to try it ,but i hear that it eats away at rubber fuel lines :(

Also that performance gains are actually less than 98 ron...:whistle: (hmm the whole blend thing sounds like a bunch of BS imo)

kiwifruit
29th May 2008, 19:30
What on your pedal cycle:pinch:

no no, i tried it back in the day.... when i had a motorcycle :yes:

Grahameeboy
29th May 2008, 19:31
no no, i tried it back in the day.... when i had a motorcycle :yes:

Memories eh................eh when I were a lad...........

Devil
29th May 2008, 19:33
Tried a tank full of the Gull 99 Octane with 10% ethanol in it. Boy I could notice the power straight away.
I could never lift the front wheel on my bike even If I tried.

What???!!!
How can you not lift the front on a tiger??? Even if it was running on urine it would still wheelie all the way to africa and back!

I dont think you have enough bad influences in your life. :cool:

fridayflash
29th May 2008, 19:36
i tried it in a friends project bike and it instantly sprung a few pinhole leaks in the fuel tank:confused: im guessing these were weak spots anyway, but it didnt leak before

AllanB
29th May 2008, 20:58
Since I keep reading how gay Hondas are I've starting saving up all my poos and I'm straining off the "poo juice" and using it as fuel - I am getting at least a 20% hp gain and double the fuel economy.

I have discovered two things however.

1. My fuel bill is now zero however my food bill has increased to keep up with the fuel demand.

2. My bike smells funny...........

zxcvbnm
30th May 2008, 10:47
I use it in my NSR every chance I get. I'm sure it goes better, it feels crisper. The ethanol should make it run slightly leaner, cooler and clean out any moisture in the fuel system.

vifferman
30th May 2008, 11:29
One would expect that if it is 99 octane, and you've made no changes to your engine, that it would be less powerful.
If, however, you've increased the compression ratio and/or advanced the ignition and/or increased the fueling and/or made any other significant changes, you might get a power increase.
Don't be misled into thinking that the higher the octane, the more powerful it is. Usually, the opposite is the case, unless your bike has EFI AND knock sensors, which AFAIK, no road bikes do.

johan
30th May 2008, 11:35
One would expect that if it is 99 octane, and you've made no changes to your engine, that it would be less powerful.
If, however, you've increased the compression ratio and/or advanced the ignition and/or increased the fueling and/or made any other significant changes, you might get a power increase.
Don't be misled into thinking that the higher the octane, the more powerful it is. Usually, the opposite is the case, unless your bike has EFI AND knock sensors, which AFAIK, no road bikes do.

Yes! Good post! I wonder how many billions $$$ fuel companies are making from people putting high octane fuel in their vehicles thinking this will give them more power.

Atmospheric changes (pressure, temperature, humidity) will have a bigger impact on your engine performance than any fuel you can put in it, when it comes to power output.

slopster
30th May 2008, 13:21
It's probably in your head. Ethanol produces much less energy when burned then petrol. Some race cars use ethanol as a fuel because it allows a higher compression ratio to be used (and therefore more power) but need to have enormous carb jets to run properly which would be shocking for fuel economy. If your bike is running too rich on petrol I guess you could see an improvement but I don't think 10% ethanol would make much difference.

Fooman
30th May 2008, 15:42
It's probably in your head. Ethanol produces much less energy when burned then petrol. Some race cars use ethanol as a fuel because it allows a higher compression ratio to be used (and therefore more power) but need to have enormous carb jets to run properly which would be shocking for fuel economy. If your bike is running too rich on petrol I guess you could see an improvement but I don't think 10% ethanol would make much difference.

Ethanol has a lower calorific content (27 MJ/kg) than petrol (43 MJ/kg) but as it runs richer (stoichiometric ratio with air is 9:1) than petrol (stoichiometric ratio with air is 14.7:1), the total energy output is actual similar for equal units of air/fuel mixture (i.e. what actually gets burnt in the motor) - 3 MJ/kg for ethanol /air versus 2.925 MJ/kg for petrol/air.

For a 10% ethanol mix, the energy per unit air/fuel mix is 2.933 MJ/kg, or a difference of approximately 5/5ths of fuck-all.

Any noticeable power improvement may be down to improved combustion and or intelligent ignition timing taking advantage of the higher octane rating.

Ethanol also runs cooler as it has a latent heat of vaporisation higher than petrol (900 kJ/kg vs 400-500 kJ/kg)

What it actually means, for the same power output, you'll need a bigger fuel tank, as Ethanol is only slightly denser than petrol (0.79 vs 0.76), for the same range.

All numbers from Bosch Automotive Handbook, 3rd Ed.

Cheers,
FM

Tumbles
30th May 2008, 16:42
Excellent info here. I guess this means the first post could be running too rich and needs a tune?

The Joka
30th May 2008, 16:43
Well I agree with ya..

I had to throw $10 of the tree hugger juice in mine and I noticed a big difference straight away

Mikkel
30th May 2008, 18:59
All numbers from Bosch Automotive Handbook, 3rd Ed.

Cheers,
FM

I like this man! :niceone:

:D

barty5
30th May 2008, 23:46
correct me if im wrong i was told ( cant remember who) that produces less power therefore the cars that can use ie:my ssv-ve self addjust to use more fuel to get same amount of power. so therefore you would get less milage per tank cause your usin more more to get the same get up and go the stuff isnot that much cheaper than straight petrol so why bother (dont get all green peace either thats not me other wise i wouldnt drive a v8)

Askelon
31st May 2008, 09:24
I used it for a tank.. Hated the constant stink of the crap so went back to regular 95.. It also seemed to give me less km's than regular fuel.. From memory I got about 280k on a tank as opposed to the regular 300..

discotex
1st June 2008, 22:10
I was worried about the "problems with your fuel system may not be covered under warranty" line in the manual.

Rang Blue Wing and they said it would be fine (as the US is all 10% blend now anyway) but I could invalidate the warranty on fuel system parts if they were found to be corroded.

Because it's something new the car/bike companies are covering their arses in case there's a flood of fuel system issues.

If I'm going past Gull I'll fill up with it but it's nothing special. Just cheaper than BP and Mobil 98.

Ulyssian
1st June 2008, 22:54
Well I reckon I have more power since using it, that's all that matters. If I run it on shitty 91 all I get is spark knock, 95's to expensive and not much better than 91. So It's 99 Gull for this biker. Thanks for all your input interesting reading.

The Joker running on Urine and can wheelie for thousands of miles is not a bad one. You must have been drinking rocket fuel mate ha ha good yarn though.

menee
8th June 2008, 13:08
My local Gull, won't let me fill then pay when on my bike, even when I remove my gloves and helmet. I have to prepay, I don't mind doing this but they let cars pre-fill around me!!!, and don't get me started on my wahine filling up her late model Subaru, they wouldn't let her pre-fill either, she pulls up at pump and it doesn't work so she moves to another pump, and that doesn't work either, she goes inside and gets told that it is prepay only, she pays, and then goes back outside and another chick is filling up at the first pump, wifey says that it is on prepay but the chick says it's working fine !!! she gets pre-fill and several others had called in and were getting pre-fill around her, the only apparent difference that we could detect is that wifey is brown skinned!!

barty5
8th June 2008, 16:32
My local Gull, won't let me fill then pay when on my bike, even when I remove my gloves and helmet. I have to prepay, I don't mind doing this but they let cars pre-fill around me!!!, and don't get me started on my wahine filling up her late model Subaru, they wouldn't let her pre-fill either, she pulls up at pump and it doesn't work so she moves to another pump, and that doesn't work either, she goes inside and gets told that it is prepay only, she pays, and then goes back outside and another chick is filling up at the first pump, wifey says that it is on prepay but the chick says it's working fine !!! she gets pre-fill and several others had called in and were getting pre-fill around her, the only apparent difference that we could detect is that wifey is brown skinned!!

no it will be the boy racer style car in their eyes they suspect that all evo and subbie drivers and other like wise car owner will do drive offs.

Grub
8th June 2008, 17:03
Answer is Yes. I've just completed 20,000k in 9 months on the CBR (carbed) with this result ...
- 61.4% of the time it has run on 95 octane, 38.6% on 98.
- Using 98 where available and paying BP's outrageous prices for Ultimate98 or Mobil's 97.5, I have saved $16.33 over the 9 months ($21.78p.a.) due to more efficient combustion.

The additional benefits of greater acceleration, better running and cleaner burning then are the icing on the cake. I was told this very early in my return to riding by a guy we bumped into outside the Pauatahanui Cafe. I didn't believe him. That's partly the reason I started to keep a fuel log. He was right.