PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke oil

MrMelon
25th August 2003, 12:01
Hey,

I'm running motul 600 in my engine at the moment, but at $34 for a 1 litre pack of it, it's bloody pricey! :(

I've been told that the bike's always been run on motul 600.

Does anyone know if there's anywhere that sells bigger packs of it for a cheaper price or anything?

If there isn't, would changing to a different/slightly cheaper 2 stroke oil have any adverse effects on the running of the bike, and does anyone have any recommendations about what to switch to? :D

Cheers.

RiceBurner
25th August 2003, 12:10
Originally posted by MrMelon
Hey,

I'm running motul 600 in my engine at the moment, but at $34 for a 1 litre pack of it, it's bloody pricey! :(

I've been told that the bike's always been run on motul 600.

Does anyone know if there's anywhere that sells bigger packs of it for a cheaper price or anything?

If there isn't, would changing to a different/slightly cheaper 2 stroke oil have any adverse effects on the running of the bike, and does anyone have any recommendations about what to switch to? :D

Cheers.

I think the general consensus is to use the absolute best oil you can afford in sports 2-smokes.

Have you tried asking at your local dealer if they could get you a crate of oil? My brother did this and bought over a years supply of 6002T for his RGV250 and saved himself about 20% of the costs.

jrandom
25th August 2003, 14:29
Originally posted by MrMelon
would changing to a different/slightly cheaper 2 stroke oil have any adverse effects on the running of the bike

Yes. It will fsck your engine.

Motul make the Good Stuff, stick with it. You were lucky to find a TZR that's always been run on it, IMO. Keep treating it well and it will reward you with much high-revvin' ring-a-ding lurrrrve.

HTH, HAND etc.

(Anyway, *you* bought the two-smoke, dude, now you gotta pay the tax :D)

Hoon
27th August 2003, 20:32
Yeah I use Castrol TTS too.  The RGV sites overseas recommend Castrol 747 but I haven't found a place that sells it yet (to be honest I haven't really looked too hard).

curious george
27th August 2003, 20:54
I did a little research on this, and the best I could find was Shell VSX 2stroke. Fully synthetic, matches Motul et al.
I went to the point of calling the respective companies and hunted down their test results.
Result? $40 for 4 L makes it damn good.

Even if price were no object, I would still use it.
None of the test results showed any difference once it met a certain standard, JASCO API or whatever.
Most people will say, "get the best you can", or "it's what the pros use" or similar.
I just cant' fine the evidence to prove any of this.
Just saying four bikes siezed last weekend cos they didn't use motul or whatever does not constitute scientific evidence!:angry2:
Or does it? anybody care to add to the age old question?

Richard Tse
28th August 2003, 11:28
i prefer elf which is full synthenic. costly though.:niceone: :rockon:

MrMelon
28th August 2003, 15:00
Cheers guys.. I'll have to have a look into some of these other fully synthetics like shell vsx and castrol tts.

I called up some dealers last night about prices on 4L and 20L packs of motul 600, but they haven't called back like they said they would.

curious george
28th August 2003, 19:49
Mini-tankers in Auckland do the Shell stuff. A $5 courier charge saves me going to Onehunga to get it too.:)
Lets know what you decide upon, it would be interesting to know how you arrived at you decision.eg:peer pressure, all that was left in the shop, old guy swears by it...whatever. Just curious.
Most of the racers on the www.RGV250.co.uk site use the Motul stuff in premix form I think. I'm sold on the shell stuff though.:niceone:

RiceBurner
28th August 2003, 23:42
Originally posted by curious george
Mini-tankers in Auckland do the Shell stuff. A $5 courier charge saves me going to Onehunga to get it too.:)
Lets know what you decide upon, it would be interesting to know how you arrived at you decision.eg:peer pressure, all that was left in the shop, old guy swears by it...whatever. Just curious.
Most of the racers on the www.RGV250.co.uk site use the Motul stuff in premix form I think. I'm sold on the shell stuff though.:niceone:

Premix??? I thought the RGV was a seperate feed??

Or are these race bikes we're talking about?

marty
29th August 2003, 10:45
geez the amount of stuff to sift thru on the net is craaaazzzy. i think i'll use the TTS that i have up, then switch to the shell product. be intersting to see the startup smoke difference. castrol though make an R series which they say is for 'racing only'. smells nice too. they say though that the tank should be drained after racing. does anyone know why?

curious george
29th August 2003, 12:05
castrol though make an R series which they say is for 'racing only'. smells nice too. they say though that the tank should be drained after racing. does anyone know why?

It may be the castor oil, which goes off quickly and is not terribly stable for a long time in a petrol solution, as are most pre-mix solutions.
The premix is a different viscosity as it doesn't have to go through an oil pump, and shouldn't be used with one.

Dave
2nd September 2003, 18:42
Hey guys,
I can state/ have proved that ELF HTX976 is the best 2 stroke oil you can buy, i've done comparisons on GP race bikes,over 70% of current world GP teams use it.I use it.
My business also exclusively uses ELF oils and find their whole range to be exceptional.
The HTX976 is an overkill for a road bike but the rest of their range will be able to suit your needs.
I also can get you good prices on it.
Call me at work -Kiwi Mobile mechanics, 09 443 3840.
I can get you the quantities that you want at good prices.