PDA

View Full Version : Shinko tyres?

Bonez
30th December 2004, 06:50
There seems to be a veiw bad vibes re Shinko here on KB so I've decided to do a "real world" test. I'm fitting a 4.10S18 to my CB550. I don't need anything too sticky, just something that gives good alround performance on back country with occasinal gravel road and around town. There are other more "normal" [read slicks with grooves] profiles but I've choosen the chunkier and cheaper($89) one. Can't be any worst than Hi-Max's can it? You see motocycling does not have to be a fuckImustdowarp4everywhere experience and you don't have to run up a godzillion dollar dept in the process. Also this wet weather we are having lately should be good for proving how good/not good the tyre is.

Stevo
30th December 2004, 07:14
The Mrs has just fitted Shinkos to the ZX9R and is not too impressed with them thus far. Have adjusted tyre pressures and suspension a little and things have improved. She does not like as much as the Pirellis tho. Had MTR22 tyres on it.

Bonez
30th December 2004, 07:19
The Mrs has just fitted Shinkos to the ZX9R and is not too impressed with them thus far. Have adjusted tyre pressures and suspension a little and things have improved. She does not like as much as the Pirellis tho. Had MTR22 tyres on it.That's what i like to see. "Real" feedback from those using them thanks.

vifferman
30th December 2004, 07:32
I had Shinko Podiums on the VFR750 when I bought it. They were OK, but I never really felt confident on them, due to the way they felt in corners. They never let go or anything (apart from one lowside, which wasn't the tyre's fault), just didn't feel that good. I got a year's worth of riding (mostly commuting) out of them, then replaced them with Azaros. Much better. Another year, then I stuck a Bridgestone BT012F and BT020R on. WOW!! Terrific feel, great grip, heaps more confidence.

For what you're talking about, Bonez, the Shinkos would probably be fine. Although the latest Shinkos are supposedly much improved, I wouldn't stick them on a sports bike though. I don't think they're really 'up with the play' as far as race-proven technology goes.

Bonez
30th December 2004, 12:37
Just fitted it to the spare rim. Went on with little effort using one tire lever and a hand pump to bring up to pressure. Certainly easier to the Yokohama that was fitted previously. Just ordered a new beaing seal from SKF (it's a standard size and I try to aviod Honda inflated prices if I can as much as possible) and will fit the wheel tomorrow.

sedge
30th December 2004, 12:51
I put shinkos on my old ZXR750 <blasphemy according to most people>... but for a bike that spent 90% of its time commuting it made sense.

I didn't have any real trouble with them... Less ultimate grip than super sports tyres, but when they let go they always did it gradually and you could tell when you got near that point. They lasted well and the wide profile made slow manouvering easy (traffic).

They aren't the latest technology, a lot of the stuff is still made using the Yokohama moulds and techniques they got when Shinko bought out their motorcycle tyre division but the new sportier ones are their own.

For an old GSX I don't think you'll have any issues at all.

Would I put them on my new ZXR ? no, but that wont be a commuter...

Would I put them on the ZZR... Umm, probably not, but that's because it came with Metzlers and when the back wore out WT sold me one cheaply to match the front.

Cheers,

Sedge.

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 18:34
I dont think Ive ever used any worse tyre in the wet than Shinko's.
My view..
Absolute rubbish!
I dont believe in scrimping on tyres.
I mean they are only the things keeping you on the road, so who needs good grip.

sedge
30th December 2004, 19:09
You ride in the rain ?... Well, there's your problem ;)

All different kinds of Shinkos remember, and holy carp... none of them should really be on a sports bike...

Yup, a bit squirelly in the wet... bit squirelly at big lean angles... they let you learn to deal with odd behaviour on the edge at less fatal speeds, kind of Huggies pull-ups for sports bikes (ha... spot the parent).

On a CB550 I doubt you'll notice the difference other than the extra cash in your wallet weighing you down... Hah, I sound like a Shinko salesman...

Hi, my name is Sedge and I'm reformed Shinko user... It's been six months since my last Shinko and I'm hoping for a gold star...

Sedge.

Bonez
30th December 2004, 19:15
My view..
Absolute rubbish!
I mean they are only the things keeping you on the road, so who needs good grip. Having had various "crap" tires fitted the rear of the 550 for 70,000 odd kms not one has let go yet. As I've said earlier not all who ride m/cs need to go at a trillionbilllinkmerhoureverywhere.

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 19:33
Hang on there, I know how to take it easy thankyou very much!
I consider myself a very mature rider! :moon:
I know exactly when to go slow, and I do know when the time and place is to go faster.
I have never had any on my bike, Just ridden on them when they are on shop bikes.

Motu
30th December 2004, 19:35
I see no problem in having crap tyres on a bike,and I think Bonez thinks along the same lines as me.....it's KNOWING your tyre is what's important,if you know your tyre,you know everything you need to know.

Bonez
30th December 2004, 19:39
Hang on there, I know how to take it easy thankyou very much!
I consider myself a very mature rider! :moon:
I know exactly when to go slow, and I do know when the time and place is to go faster.
I have never had any on my bike, Just ridden on them when they are on shop bikes.Bit of an over reaction ol son. :whistle:

Bonez
30th December 2004, 19:41
I see no problem in having crap tyres on a bike,and I think Bonez thinks along the same lines as me.....it's KNOWING your tyre is what's important,if you know your tyre,you know everything you need to know.That's it Motu. ALL HAIL THE TYRE!!!!!! :rockon:

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 19:43
If you have confidence in your tyres, you can consintrate more on your riding.
I do know what you mean and do agree.
But you have to admit... The better the tyre, the more enjoyable the riding will be.

Blakamin
30th December 2004, 19:47
My view..
Absolute rubbish!
I mean they are only the things keeping you on the road, so who needs good grip.
FARQ YEAH!!!... my duc had one on the back when I bought it... I rode her home in the rain over Pie Cock... couldnt understand why the bike spent half the trip sideways, considering it was the first ride and i was takin it easy, until I got home and looked at the tyre... friggin shinko!!! now has a Pirelli gts and hasnt been sideways in the wet since... (THANKS ;) )!!!!!

Bonez
30th December 2004, 19:51
The better the tyre, the more enjoyable the riding will be. I guess that depends on what you mean by "better". I had an intersesting disscusions with one of the larger local m/c shop salesman re tyre selection and "perceived"-his words not mine-advantages customers have of various brands.

avgas
30th December 2004, 19:58
i actually like shinkos.
Had them for 3 sets on my RG. Good to stop you at 200+ks no worries.
Theyre good cos u can do a mean burnout, and still ride home. Every other tyre i come across disentergrates in a matter of minutes.
but i would be too dangerous with shinkos on the stornvehicle, got a battleaxe/dragon evo combo that works perfectly now

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 19:58
Everyone has different styles of riding, and different brands suit different riders. People just need to try and see what best suits their personal style.
Every tyre feels different on the road.
I dont think there is really any right or wrong answer.
All though, you now know my opinion.

Bonez
30th December 2004, 20:00
FARQ YEAH!!!... my duc had one on the back when I bought it... I rode her home in the rain over Pie Cock... couldnt understand why the bike spent half the trip sideways, considering it was the first ride and i was takin it easy, until I got home and looked at the tyre... friggin shinko!!! now has a Pirelli gts and hasnt been sideways in the wet since... (THANKS ;) )!!!!! I'm glad you found someting suitable.

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 20:02
now has a Pirelli gts and hasnt been sideways in the wet since... (THANKS ;) )!!!!!

:msn-wink: :msn-wink: :whistle:

Blakamin
30th December 2004, 20:03
I'm glad you found someting suitable.
me too... i thought I was gunna drop my baby!!! (never test rode it, just went the hack.... and thought "Ducs are supposed to be betterer than this") but at 40kms, having the back let go at no lean angle sucked!!!! and it was the shinko... no doubt at all!!! and it already had a front one..... why did someone have a GTS front and a shinko rear on a Duc???????

Bonez
30th December 2004, 20:08
me too... i thought I was gunna drop my baby!!! (never test rode it, just went the hack.... and thought "Ducs are supposed to be betterer than this") but at 40kms, having the back let go at no lean angle sucked!!!! and it was the shinko... no doubt at all!!! and it already had a front one..... why did someone have a GTS front and a shinko rear on a Duc??????? Bike shop may have fitted it to flick the bike.

Blakamin
30th December 2004, 20:10
Bike shop may have fitted it to flick the bike.
better ask Sparky Bills... he works there :thud:

Bonez
30th December 2004, 20:11
All though, you now know my opinion. That's a good thing and I aplaud you by sticking with.

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 20:12
Hay Hay Hay.
Im in parts not sales! Dont ask me! :spudwhat:
The parts guys are the only honest people in any bike stores.
But lets not turn this into another bash the bike store thread shall we.

Bonez
30th December 2004, 20:13
better ask Sparky Bills... he works there :thud:LOl. Now that would explain a lot ;). High profit margins in those name brands hah Bill? ;)

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 20:14
HAHA!
I wouldnt know mate, I get paid with coconuts and apples. :2thumbsup

Bonez
30th December 2004, 20:16
HAHA!
I wouldnt know mate, I get paid with coconuts and apples. :2thumbsup
:eek: :killingme :beer:

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 20:18
Oh yeah..
I do get the odd beer here and there.
Does that mean I got a pay rise??

Sorry going off topic a bit.

Pickle
30th December 2004, 20:27
We have run Shinko's on our 600's and have had no problem at all, in fact the 006's were probably the best wet weather tyre we have used and for those of you know us we are not that slow in the wet. If Shinko still made the 006 we would most likely still be running them.
I know of several people who run Shinko 009,s and these people have no problems with them and while they are not the greatest sports/ race tyre they are great value for most road riders.
When I bought my 600 it had Pirelli's fitted so I have been using them ever since, now wearing Diablos and so is Viv's 636.
I run Shinko's on my trail bike and have no problem, they slide a bit but that is when pushing hard.

Most riders get caught up in all the hype about having the stickiest sports tyres available when their riding really only needs an average sports touring tyre. I cannot get my head around people who spend big bucks on tyres that last 3 to 4000kms if that and rarely use the edges of their tyres, have these people got more money than sense or just buy these tyres so they can wank on to their mates??? I know there are riders out there who use all their tyres and will probably need a sports tyre but believe me you are a minority.

Now if someone would like to shout me a pair of the latest Shinko 005's I could evaluate them and give some real feedback instead of all the hype over what people think tyres are like.

Bonez
30th December 2004, 20:31
Most riders get caught up in all the hype about having the stickiest sports tyres available when their riding really only needs an average sports touring tyre. I cannot get my head around people who spend big bucks on tyres that last 3 to 4000kms if that and rarely use the edges of their tyres, have these people got more money than sense or just buy these tyres so they can wank on to their mates??? I know there are riders out there who use all their tyres and will probably need a sports tyre but believe me you are a minority.

Now if someone would like to shout me a pair of the latest Shinko 005's I could evaluate them and give some real feedback instead of all the hype over what people think tyres are like.Hi Doug. How's the CTs?

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 20:33
We have run Shinko's on our 600's and have had no problem at all, in fact the 006's were probably the best wet weather tyre we have used and for those of you know us we are not that slow in the wet. If Shinko still made the 006 we would most likely still be running them.
I know of several people who run Shinko 009,s and these people have no problems with them and while they are not the greatest sports/ race tyre they are great value for most road riders.
When I bought my 600 it had Pirelli's fitted so I have been using them ever since, now wearing Diablos and so is Viv's 636.
I run Shinko's on my trail bike and have no problem, they slide a bit but that is when pushing hard.

Now if someone would like to shout me a pair of the latest Shinko 005's I could evaluate them and give some real feedback instead of all the hype over what people think tyres are like.

Hence my comment about different styles!
Perfect example. You go with whats comfortable to you.
Now be honest Doug... You know theres a family member thats catching up to you both pretty quikely! :killingme Do you want me to tell you who it is??

Blakamin
30th December 2004, 20:35
We have run Shinko's on our 600's and have had no problem at all, in fact the 006's were probably the best wet weather tyre we have used and for those of you know us we are not that slow in the wet.
I dont even remember what my shinko was.... cept it was made of concrete.... and I only have the GTS coz it matches.. I dont care what tyre it is if it sticks... and the shinko DIDNT!!!!

Pickle
30th December 2004, 20:37
... You know theres a family member thats catching up to you both pretty quikely! :killingme Do you want me to tell you who it is??

Shit Sparky is there someone else in the family riding now??? But really if you cant keep up with the CT110 on your R1 then what chance is there?? :bash:

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 20:39
OUCH!!!
Please man, dont hold back. Speak your mind. :confused2

Pickle
30th December 2004, 20:39
Hi Doug. How's the CTs?

The CT110 is a ball of fun and runs absolutely crap tyres and is still capable of passing other bikes over the Saddle Rd on the Coast to Coast

Bonez
30th December 2004, 20:40
Shit Sparky is there someone else in the family riding now??? But really if you cant keep up with the CT110 on your R1 then what chance is there?? :bash: :grouphug:

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 20:41
I dont want to play this game anymore! :bleh:

Pickle
30th December 2004, 20:42
OUCH!!!
Please man, dont hold back. Speak your mind. :confused2

I feel we all need BEER

Bonez
30th December 2004, 20:42
The CT110 is a ball of fun and runs absolutely crap tyres and is still capable of passing other bikes over the Saddle Rd on the Coast to CoastHear what your saying boyo. Did you catch up with Slick (Murry Cross) and his missus at all?

Sparky Bills
30th December 2004, 20:46
I feel we all need BEER

Still waiting are you??
You must have been too slow, and its all been downed already. :killingme
Maybe next time buddy. :moon:

Pickle
30th December 2004, 20:47
Hear what your saying boyo. Did you catch up with Slick (Murry Cross) and his missus at all?

Saw him but not to catch up with properly as he had to go home to the kids

Bonez
30th December 2004, 20:49
Saw him but not to catch up with properly as he had to go home to the kidsGive Viv a big hug from me will ya.

Bonez
30th December 2004, 21:10
Night night all. Off to dream about sliding the Shinko around on the Saddle Road, Ballance and the Pahiatua track in the wet tomorrow.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz

WINJA
30th December 2004, 21:19
IVE TWICE SEEN SHINKO REARS DELAMINATE ON A 600 IT WAS AT PUKE DURING A TRACK DAY , VERY SCARY. SHINKO BOUGHT ALL THE OLD YOKOHAMA MOLDS BUT THEY NEVER QUITE MADE THEM TO THE SAME STANDARD. BUT YA GET WHAT YA PAY FOR I SPOSE

Bonez
31st December 2004, 04:47
IVE TWICE SEEN SHINKO REARS DELAMINATE ON A 600 IT WAS AT PUKE DURING A TRACK DAY , VERY SCARY. SHINKO BOUGHT ALL THE OLD YOKOHAMA MOLDS BUT THEY NEVER QUITE MADE THEM TO THE SAME STANDARD. BUT YA GET WHAT YA PAY FOR I SPOSEWhat speeds and where they within the limits specified on the tyre?

DEATH_INC.
31st December 2004, 06:34
I've seen one do this too,on the road.It was almost new.....
On the plus side,there's one model(I can't remember which one)the drag racers in the us swear by(not at...)

Lou Girardin
31st December 2004, 06:58
I was going to try them for the Sth Is trip. My brother fitted a rear 1st though. Generally they were OK, except in low grip situations like raised tar patches or road markings. They'd let go very easily and their wear rate was nothing great, 6000 km's compared to 8000 to 9000 for Z6's or Avon ST46.
The low price doesn't compensate for the downsides really.

Blakamin
31st December 2004, 07:46
I've seen one do this too,on the road.It was almost new.....
On the plus side,there's one model(I can't remember which one)the drag racers in the us swear by(not at...)
They do smoke well.... SB will tell ya that too :eek:

Posh Tourer :P
31st December 2004, 07:59
Had a Cheng Shin on the front (and rear) of the CB125 (a little :offtopic: but they are often lumped in with Shinkos and Kendas).

The tyre was soft and wobbly due to the blocky tread compound, and made lots of noise on the road. Under hard braking, it lost feel as the tread was too busy squishing around to transfer the road feel. It ran fine and never let go, but it was on a CB125T (1980). The rear was never a problem, but it wore out relatively fast.

Replaced them with an old (c.10yrs) race compound tyre similar tread to the Metzler Rille 12, and a Metzler ME33 (?) second hand. These tyres inspired much more confidence, and boot scraping and spirited riding was possible as the bike tracked straight, and there was much more communication with the road. You could tell what it was doing going into a corner, and you could now feel the flexy frame effect as the front wheel tipped in before the back.

Summary? Commuting, they were fine, but for any sort of spirited cornering or braking, they certainly didn't inspire confidence, and they didnt transmit road surface feel very well....

Bonez
31st December 2004, 09:08
Well one crap tire off (mag-mopus previously on a wreck cb250rs) and one crap tyre on. With a lowely 145536.3kms on the ol gal let the test begin.......................

Sparky Bills
31st December 2004, 09:21
They do smoke well.... SB will tell ya that too :eek:

I have no idea what your talking about.
Ive would never do a burnout, as they are illegal! :killingme :moon:

Bonez
31st December 2004, 12:20
Well after a wee tiki tour I've come to the conclusion that this tyre is totally adequate for the use I intend for the bike. Had the tyre from edge to edge. Went across whitelines, silt on the road, gravel, pee metal, change in surface from rough to smooth, uneven surfaces, the odd wet patch and railway crossings no dramas at all, total control.

sedge
31st December 2004, 12:30
Ummm... your profile says hardcore biker but you have fluffy toys stuck all over your bike...

Heh heh... I'm guessing you don't wear leathers, Some kind of furry animal costume perhaps ?

Ow... damn... someone just whacked me over the head with a fuzzy bunny wabbit...

Sedge.

Bonez
31st December 2004, 12:32
Ummm... your profile says hardcore biker but you have fluffy toys stuck all over your bike...

Heh heh... I'm guessing you don't wear leathers, Some kind of furry animal costume perhaps ?

Ow... damn... someone just whacked me over the head with a fuzzy bunny wabbit...

Sedge.Beware of Buzzy the bumble bee. He can be lethal. Oh and I'm glad I can provide some enternainment to your obviously otherwise drary day. :laugh: Get back to me when you get some time up.

sedge
31st December 2004, 13:22
Yeah... actually it IS frecking dreary here, I'm stuck at work... And my bike gear smells coz it's still wet from the commute home last night... Oh... and I smell coz I was wearing wet gear on the way in today :( (well, I think it's the gear)

Ah well, you have a good one, might see you on the road sometime...

Sedge.

Motu
31st December 2004, 13:51
Sounds like my kinda tyre Bonez,I bet those sports bike riders who diss your tyre won't ride on half the surfaces you do,that's when you need an alrounder.

Bonez
31st December 2004, 14:41
Ah well, you have a good one, might see you on the road sometime...
Sedge. Have a good new years.

Bonez
31st December 2004, 15:07
Sounds like my kinda tyre Bonez,I bet those sports bike riders who diss your tyre won't ride on half the surfaces you do,that's when you need an alrounder.They're too busy getting there knees down for the girlies I guess ;).

WINJA
31st December 2004, 16:02
What speeds and where they within the limits specified on the tyre?
IT WAS AT PUKE RACE TRACK AND I THINK IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT A 180 TYRE WILL ONLY FIT ON A BIKE THAT WILL DO 200 PLUS KMH.SO IT SHOULD NOT HAVE FELL APART

Jantar
31st December 2004, 16:08
...Most riders get caught up in all the hype about having the stickiest sports tyres available when their riding really only needs an average sports touring tyre. I cannot get my head around people who spend big bucks on tyres that last 3 to 4000kms if that and rarely use the edges of their tyres, have these people got more money than sense or just buy these tyres so they can wank on to their mates??? I know there are riders out there who use all their tyres and will probably need a sports tyre but believe me you are a minority....

I guess I am one of those riders who rarely uses the edge of my tyres, but when I do need to use the edge I want to know that the tyre will grip like the proverbial 5h!t to a blanket. I have just fitted a Pirelli MTR24 to the rear of my GS1200, replacing a Dunlop D207. The Dunlop on the front still has about 2000 K left on it, then it will also be replaced with a Pirelli.

I just wish that some bike magazine would do an in depth test on various tyres and rate them with respect to grip in the dry and the wet, rate of roll, flexibility, expected distance (for a particular weight and power), puncture resistance etc.

Until then I'll pay the bucks for something I can trust.

Bonez
31st December 2004, 16:17
IT WAS AT PUKE RACE TRACK AND I THINK IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT A 180 TYRE WILL ONLY FIT ON A BIKE THAT WILL DO 200 PLUS KMH.SO IT SHOULD NOT HAVE FELL APARTDID YOU LOOK AT THE TYRE!!!!!!!!

WINJA
31st December 2004, 16:26
DID YOU LOOK AT THE TYRE!!!!!!!!
WHY WOULD I LOOK AT THE TYRE, I DONT LOOK AT THE SPEED RATING OF ANY TYRE.I JUST PUT THEM ON AND RIDE I DONT EXPECT ANY TYRE TO FALL APART EVER. A SPEED RATING WOULD MEAN FUCK ALL TYRES NEED HORSE POWER RATINGS AS WELL THEN CAUSE MY ZX9 WITH ITS 5 1/2 " RIM WOULD CHEW THAT 180 FUCKER UP AT 100KMH

Jackrat
31st December 2004, 17:08
I've had older Shinko's on a few bikes,always the back wheel for some reason.
They were never as bad as some folks paint them.
I found they could break loose under power in the wet (GT750 Suzuki)but they never caused me any undue grief.I'd put them on the XS without a worry and at that price I just might.
Horses for courses I think.

Pickle
31st December 2004, 18:53
I
I just wish that some bike magazine would do an in depth test on various tyres and rate them with respect to grip in the dry and the wet, rate of roll, flexibility, expected distance (for a particular weight and power), puncture resistance etc.

Until then I'll pay the bucks for something I can trust.

A couple of years ago a Pommy bike mag did a big tyre comparo with dry grip, wet weather performance, braking distances, speed of turn in and general feel and expected kms. The so called race tyres did not do very well because they did not get up to temperature, the sports / touring tyres did the best. If i remember correctly it was a Bridgestone Bt012 that came out on top.
Please dont quote me it was a couple of years ago.

WINJA
31st December 2004, 19:22
A couple of years ago a Pommy bike mag did a big tyre comparo with dry grip, wet weather performance, braking distances, speed of turn in and general feel and expected kms. The so called race tyres did not do very well because they did not get up to temperature, the sports / touring tyres did the best. If i remember correctly it was a Bridgestone Bt012 that came out on top.
Please dont quote me it was a couple of years ago.
YUP THE BRIDGESTONES ARE UNDERATED AS THEY ARE OE TYRES, WHILE OTHER PEOPLE ARE TAKING THEM OFF THERE NEW BIKES A TRACK THEM DOWN AND PUT THEM ON MY BIKE

Bonez
1st January 2005, 05:22
WHY WOULD I LOOK AT THE TYRE, I DONT LOOK AT THE SPEED RATING OF ANY TYRE.HMaybe you should.

Bonez
1st January 2005, 05:33
I've had older Shinko's on a few bikes,always the back wheel for some reason.
They were never as bad as some folks paint them.
I found they could break loose under power in the wet (GT750 Suzuki)but they never caused me any undue grief.I'd put them on the XS without a worry and at that price I just might. Horses for courses I think.Certainly. I'll stick to lazers on the front. Mainly because I've been using them for so long without any problems. Bought my first one from Welly M/Cs many many years ago when they had them on special. Was using Contis before that.

Bonez
1st January 2005, 11:27
Well just done the palmy-wooodville-pongaroa-webber-dannevirke-woodville-palmy loop in the wet and no problems. Oh and thank you Mr Tornado and P. Rubber for excellent rain protection.

WINJA
2nd January 2005, 19:55
Maybe you should.
SPEED LIMITS A 100 K ISNT IT

vifferman
2nd January 2005, 20:15
Most riders get caught up in all the hype about having the stickiest sports tyres available when their riding really only needs an average sports touring tyre. I cannot get my head around people who spend big bucks on tyres that last 3 to 4000kms if that and rarely use the edges of their tyres, have these people got more money than sense or just buy these tyres so they can wank on to their mates??? Hi, Doug.
When I had Shinkos on the VFR750, I thought they were OK, but never felt completely comfy on them. I'm not one who usually "goes along with the crowd" so when everyone said the Bridgestones were the bees knees for the VFR, I ignored them, and put Azaros on, despite the 'naysaying' about those. They felt much better than the Shinkos, and I felt more confident on the VFR as a result. However, when those wore out, I figured I'd give the Bridgestones a go, but went BT012F / BT020R, as the tyre tech reckoned they'd be good. The bike was transformed! The handling was unbelievable.

Wank factor? I don't give a stuff. I liked the radical look of the Azaros, but the Bridgestones were absolutely great, and no dearer. Dunno what the Shinkos cost, and I didn't care.

FWIW, I did wear the Azaros from edge to edge, knackered them on my last (only, in fact) day ride around north of D'Auckland. But I'm not a great rider by any means, just felt confident enough on them to use all the tyre.

Yes, the average rider only needs an averagely sticky tyre, but it's not just about 'wank factor' or stickiness. I believe feel and confidence are more important, and I never felt really confident on the Shinkos, not because of the name, but because of the lack of decent feedback and the way the bike felt tipping into corners. And I got the same mileage from them as from the (supposedly more expensive?) Azaros.

Stevo
2nd January 2005, 23:05
They're too busy getting there knees down for the girlies I guess ;).

Well my girly and I rode to Nelson and back today for the street races. A beautiful day for it weather wise. BUT........ she is still grumbling about how hard the ride is on the shenkos!
Please I welcome any suggestions. We were running 36psi and 42psi and have dropped this by about 3 pounds. (36 and 42 are bike manufacturers recommendations and were fine with the Pirelli MTR22s) also have softened the suspension (only one click all round) from standard.
Please help??
Perhaps I should be happy if this is all she has to moan about.
BTW I have offered to buy her a new set of tyres for the ZX9R and fit the Shenkos to my CBR600 when my parts eventually turn up so I can warrant it. But she says it was her bad choice. Grrrrrrr. Might at least give her a chance of keeping up!

WINJA
2nd January 2005, 23:10
Well my girly and I rode to Nelson and back today for the street races. A beautiful day for it weather wise. BUT........ she is still grumbling about how hard the ride is on the shenkos!
Please I welcome any suggestions. We were running 36psi and 42psi and have dropped this by about 3 pounds. (36 and 42 are bike manufacturers recommendations and were fine with the Pirelli MTR22s) also have softened the suspension (only one click all round) from standard.
Please help??
Perhaps I should be happy if this is all she has to moan about.
BTW I have offered to buy her a new set of tyres for the ZX9R and fit the Shenkos to my CBR600 when my parts eventually turn up so I can warrant it. But she says it was her bad choice. Grrrrrrr. Might at least give her a chance of keeping up!
ON THE ZX9 I RAN 36/36 BTW IF YOU HAVE A BLUE C1 IM SELLING MINT FAIRING BITS

Bonez
3rd January 2005, 06:00
Stevo the whole point of me starting up this thread was to get some real feedback. Which it has done. Hopefully others will find it useful in considering tyre choice. I noticed the maximum pressure stamped on the one I fitted was less than I normally run on the ol girl solo. I ride on a few gravel backroads on this thing too, hence the reason to want to try it out. So far I'm happy with it.

Pickle
3rd January 2005, 21:14
BUT........ she is still grumbling about how hard the ride is on the shenkos!
Please help??

Drop the pressures to approx 38 rear and 34 front, the recommended is way too hard and the tyre won't heat up to a proper operating temp.
Viv was running the standard pressures on her ZX636 with the original Dunlops and they were crap, steered horribly and were not confidence inspiring, changed to Pirelli Diablos and they are great.
I used to run Pirelli MTR24 and found it OK but when powering hard out of corners whilst leaned over it usually let go so I needed a more sports type tyre

Everyone here is talking about Shenkos but no-one has said what model tyre they are running. There are some Pirelli's, Bridgestones, Dunlops, Michelins etc that I would not run on my 600 as they are not suitable So which tyres are you all bitching about????

Blakamin
3rd January 2005, 21:22
Everyone here is talking about Shenkos but no-one has said what model tyre they are running. There are some Pirelli's, Bridgestones, Dunlops, Michelins etc that I would not run on my 600 as they are not suitable So which tyres are you all bitching about????
I wish i knew what it was..... so I'd never ever get one again! and I tried plenty of pressures to get it hot.... i dunno... i'm happy now tho!

Bonez
5th January 2005, 05:54
Everyone here is talking about Shenkos but no-one has said what model tyre they are running. There are some Pirelli's, Bridgestones, Dunlops, Michelins etc that I would not run on my 600 as they are not suitable So which tyres are you all bitching about???? You took the words right out of my keyboard Doug.

Stevo
5th January 2005, 23:31
Drop the pressures to approx 38 rear and 34 front, the recommended is way too hard and the tyre won't heat up to a proper operating temp.
Viv was running the standard pressures on her ZX636 with the original Dunlops and they were crap, steered horribly and were not confidence inspiring, changed to Pirelli Diablos and they are great.
I used to run Pirelli MTR24 and found it OK but when powering hard out of corners whilst leaned over it usually let go so I needed a more sports type tyre

Thank you. All I asked was a serious question about how to get the shenkos to perform better. I will try the pressures you have suggested.

I will also check the model for you and enlighten you all. My Mrs is pretty stubborn, so I might just shout her some new tyres and put hers on my bike. I was "allowed" to ride the ZX9R for the very first time today to take to the bike shop. Thought it was glorious! There were no windy bits just a couple of corners. Not sure what the complaining is about :gob:

Can't wait to get the 600 goin now and get off the ferkin FZR. Told the Mrs tonight if she rode my wee bike she would never complain about her bikes handling ever again!

Bonez
9th January 2005, 15:39
Some more kms clocked up today. No probs.

LB
9th January 2005, 15:47
Some more kms clocked up today. No probs.
Was Geoffery (is that his name?) disappointed to be cut out of the picture?

Bonez
9th January 2005, 15:56
Was Geoffery (is that his name?) disappointed to be cut out of the picture?Nope note at all. He's working on the GaSaXe.

Spoke to Pete Sales over the phone on Friday to see how he was after the off he had at Wangas. Broken ribs/torn rib legiments and two damaged knee caps, quite a bit of bruising. Up and about on crutches. He's looking fwd to be back racing as soon as.

LB
11th January 2005, 04:47
Nope note at all. He's working on the GaSaXe.

What's a GaSaXe?

Good news to hear Pete's recovering.

Bonez
11th January 2005, 19:52
What's a GaSaXe?

See the pic in my profile ;) Oh and some real life pictures of her here- http://kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=7585

LB
12th January 2005, 05:18
What's a GaSaXe?

Jeez, I'm thick. No wonder people tell me I suit being blonde.

(she's in very nice nick if I may say so)

Bonez
12th January 2005, 06:25
Jeez, I'm thick. No wonder people tell me I suit being blonde.

(she's in very nice nick if I may say so)
Nah, it's just a side effect of owning a Ducati ;)

(Thanks)

chic 'n' charge
23rd January 2005, 10:23
Hi Bonez, :wavey:
I actually "HAVE" a set on my ZX9R at present - so speaking from actual experience the feeling I have when riding on them is that they are quite hard (even with right pressure) and heat up quite slowly. This I imagine would be the reason that the guy who put them on for me said I would get over 5000kms out of them. My main reason for putting these ones on were for price!! My mistake. Haven't ridden in rain with them as yet - but I know (from previous oopsies) to ride a bit more gingerly in the wet anyhow. I think that after riding with them for a while I will get to know how they handle and ride to the limits of the tyres and not the limit of my bike (which would never happen on NZ roads anyhow).

I honestly don't think I will put them on again - but hence if they last a while then I will have some more dosh saved up to put goodies on again....yeeehhaaa.

It does make a difference to have the better brands on a sportsbike but they would have been perfectly fine on something like my RD250 or even VFR400RR I had previously.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for now

Pickle
23rd January 2005, 20:17
Hey Chic what model of Shenko tyre are you using???

Just saying Shenko is like saying I'm using Pirellis and we all know there are lots of different Pirelli's out there. :confused2

XTC
24th January 2005, 16:02
Shinko Shinko Shinko........ Not Shenko. Bought Yokohama's moulds when they ceased bike tyre production. Shame they didn't get yokohama's recipes tho....

Stevo
24th January 2005, 23:28
Hey Chic what model of Shenko tyre are you using???

Just saying Shenko is like saying I'm using Pirellis and we all know there are lots of different Pirelli's out there. :confused2

Tis a 58W on de front and 73W on de back, she has.

hondav2
25th January 2005, 19:01
I had one on VTR when I bought it, didnt give much confidence, got 12,000km on rear, Tried Metzler Mez4 different bike. Can get 10,000km rear , there probably OK for nana bikes and nana riders Cheers Toddy

Pickle
25th January 2005, 19:45
Tis a 58W on de front and 73W on de back, she has.

OK I'm assuming you have either a 009 or a 005 on the bike. The numbers you give are the Load index and the speed rating i.e. 58 = 236kg, W = 270km/h and 73 = 365kg.

Now dont get me wrong I have tried the 009's and you need to be aggresive with these tyres, the Pirelli Diablos I'm currently using steer nicer & are more confidence inspiring. Most of the people I know who have tried the 009's have not had a problem with them, I would like to know of someone who has tried the 005's as they are a very cheap alternative.
My Wife used to run Shinko 006's and loved them ( scraped everything including exhaust pipe and fairings on a regular basis ) but unfortunately they stopped bringing them into NZ, they were probably the best wet weather tyre on the market.
Check out the Shinko web site
www.shinkotire.co.kr/emain.htm

madandy
26th January 2005, 04:03
I had a 005 on the back of my old RF400 because the 009 wasn't available in my size. It wore very well, gripped right to the edges and never gave me a fright on wet roads. I found it got very hot and sticky even on a damp road at reasonable speeds, just a few hard corners was enought to warm her up.

NordieBoy
26th January 2005, 07:03
Shinko F009.
Great tyres.
I'm on to my 3rd set now on the Nordie and love them.
Nice neutral handleing, good grip wet or dry, never had the back step out apart from on gravel.

Bonez
4th February 2005, 07:07
there probably OK for nana bikes and nana ridersDefine nana bikes and riders. I've heard it said that the capacity of ones bike could quite well be inversely proportional to their riding ability ;).

Stevo
7th February 2005, 07:02
OK I'm assuming you have either a 009 or a 005 on the bike. The numbers you give are the Load index and the speed rating i.e. 58 = 236kg, W = 270km/h and 73 = 365kg.

Now dont get me wrong I have tried the 009's and you need to be aggresive with these tyres, the Pirelli Diablos I'm currently using steer nicer & are more confidence inspiring. Most of the people I know who have tried the 009's have not had a problem with them, I would like to know of someone who has tried the 005's as they are a very cheap alternative.
My Wife used to run Shinko 006's and loved them ( scraped everything including exhaust pipe and fairings on a regular basis ) but unfortunately they stopped bringing them into NZ, they were probably the best wet weather tyre on the market.
Check out the Shinko web site
www.shinkotire.co.kr/emain.htm

Ta.
Sorry I knew I had stuffed up after I put those figures up. :confused:
But I just checked in daylight and yes they are 005s.

Mr. Peanut
8th January 2006, 10:36
I agree with Motu's line of thinking here

Tyre choice doesn't matter on the road anyway - what are you trying to prove? Any tyre can go fast in a straight line and you'll have just as much fun trying to keep it together on a crap tyre as you would with a supersport compound.

Example, on my SJ125 scooter, I had crappy chinese tyres. I managed to wear them about 1 cm from the edges, learnt how to take a really good line not use brakes in a corner and use the roads camber ... and destroyed the rear within 7000km! (on a 12hp on tap 125kg scooter)!!!

On my NSR250 I had a Diablo Sport compound, it was great, stuck really well never went loose, heaps of corner speed... But what if I had hit some gravel/oil? These are public roads remember, (theres no flag marshals to warn you is there?) A super sticky compound is gonna lose grip- slide and as soon as it hits clean tarmac BAM!!!! highside! :pinch:

But lets say I was using less grippy compounds and keeping to a sensible corner speed - when the tyre regain its grip it would not do so as violently and I would have been given more time to react to the different road surface in the first place because of my lower corner speed. Not to mention the greater control over the slide I would have because of my less severe lean angle. :first:

Also unless you're going to be putting your knee down every second corner super sport tyres have a nasty habit of developing flat spots, and when the tyre is unsafe, who is more happy to replace it? The guy with a $160 tyre lasting 7000km or the guy who 'needs' his $350 4000km super sport compound? :mellow:

I have Shinko's on my NSR250 now, and I think they're great - I dont need all that grip on the road and where it would be sensible to travel fast on super sport tyres im quite happy to slide a bit.

I say, get a naked bike, crash knobs and learn how to drift :yes:
Keep super sport tyres for track days! ;)

Holy Roller
8th January 2006, 18:40
A guy at work has them on his old Trumpy 750 reckons they are great since the bike is not a high power machine. Though he wouldn't have them on his speed tripple.

NordieBoy
14th January 2006, 19:57
The 009 is known to delaminate easily with applied revs...

:yeah:

avgas
26th April 2008, 18:18
The 009 is known to delaminate easily with applied revs...

:yeah:
Holy crap mate - are those yours.
I'm considering putting a shinko on the back of the FZ for 6 months. Anyone know the local auckland supplier.
I want a tyre i can kick out in the corners. Will be changing both tyres at year end - but i need to get my skills back up. So til then my riding will be slow or slide.

The Stranger
26th April 2008, 18:27
Ran a Shinko on my GSXR 1000.
Aside from the red rep it earned me I had no problems with them.

Sure they aren't up to the standard of modern sport tyres, but I was plesantly surprised and how good they were for what they cost and it got me over a hump at the time.

HDTboy
26th April 2008, 18:34
it got me over a hump at the time.

There's a new use for tyres

megageoff76
26th April 2008, 19:19
Sure they aren't up to the standard of modern sport tyres, but I was plesantly surprised and how good they were for what they cost and it got me over a hump at the time.

I have shinkos front and rear on the 1100. Sure, they aren't amazing tyres but less that $300 for a set im not complaining.

avgas
26th April 2008, 19:20
Ran a Shinko on my GSXR 1000.
Aside from the red rep it earned me I had no problems with them.

Where you get it from?

The Stranger
26th April 2008, 19:25
Where you get it from?

What? The red rep?
Some people are a little sensitive I guess, after all tyre choice is a very emotional issue for some people and it is easy to hurt their feelings at what is a very delicate time.

The Stranger
26th April 2008, 19:28
There's a new use for tyres

Hmm,

"Free advice is worth every cent"

Thanks for the free advice there Gav, but I'm not sure it's worth anything.

avgas
26th April 2008, 21:10
Last free advice i got was spam ha.
No what shop did ya get the shinko's from?

Littleman
26th April 2008, 21:55
Com'on Noel, stop being obtuse.

Even a wiseman can learn from a fool.

Put him out of his misery.

The Stranger
27th April 2008, 09:04
Com'on Noel, stop being obtuse.

Even a wiseman can learn from a fool.

Put him out of his misery.

Sorry Greg.

Got em from Motohaus.
See, you learned something from a fool today.

Resto lad
14th August 2008, 10:14
yup my suzuki sv .came with shinko zr's
been messin with pressure & suspenion settings
still not the best feeling tippin low into corners
and BLOODY horrible in rain :eek:

Benk
14th August 2008, 11:15
Anyone out there use the slicks with any sucess? I wont be able to ride on pirelli superbikes all the time (using second hand ones at the moment, and have a couple more sets coming). But I was thinking about a good cheap set of slicks that I could just use for a while and adapt to. Looking at getting into racing for the summer series and cant justify 600-700 bucks every few races.

Ideas? Thoughts? Model numbers?

avgas
15th August 2008, 08:43
Just to update here - 2,000K's and the shinko on the rear is going well.
She sticks like shit to a blanket when warm, but cold she is stubborn and refuses to grip.
Likewise cold and in the rain = bad.
But it suits my riding as i wanted to restrain myself a little when the tyres are cold. But warm you can almost cook off the rubber. Feckin way better than the Pirelli's and Avons i have had in the past. Comparable to the BT101's
005 is doing me well.

rogson
15th August 2008, 10:42
I've used a Shinko rear on one of my VX800s.
I found it comparable with a BT45 in the dry, but not as good in the wet.
It also seemed to wear faster than the BT45 - but it was only about half the price of the BT45.

In this case (most cases?) it seems to me I got what I paid for.

mark247
15th August 2008, 11:15
Anyone out there use the slicks with any sucess? I wont be able to ride on pirelli superbikes all the time (using second hand ones at the moment, and have a couple more sets coming). But I was thinking about a good cheap set of slicks that I could just use for a while and adapt to. Looking at getting into racing for the summer series and cant justify 600-700 bucks every few races.

When Tom had that bike a set of slicks lasted him ages.

Benk
15th August 2008, 11:23
Im over 30kg heavier though, which will no doubt chew them out faster. I could notice the wear from the last track day.

carver
15th August 2008, 19:39
i have 003's on my DRZ....
they are all good, not great, but nowhere near bad either

nico
10th November 2008, 16:52

well i brought my bike with the 005's on and did a modest 16000km on them ok may not be able to drop the bike over quite as far as the others round corners but for the daily comuter/ odd weekend thrash there brillant just fitted a new set the other day.:Punk: but each to ya own i guess some guys i know fit a super duper flash bling bling and only get 3-5 thou out of a set buger that i still get to the top of the hill at the same time notsed it does say on case max speed 260km yeap safe to say i wont be hiting that on my way to work

grego
5th January 2009, 09:08
looks to me, after reading through the whole thread, that towards the end of the thread "speculation" has been replaced with facts.
More and more riders are actually giving input that comes from "Riding on Shinko" rather then
"having heard"...........

As a Nana rider who only goes out on a sunny loverly day (like today) with no chance of rain and just cruises the back roads , swinging around the bends rather than attacking every corner at maximum speed and lean angle, I reckon the Advanced 005 might be the """perfect Tyre""".

PLEASE talk me out of this stupid idea and make me purchase another 600 bucks worths of top brand rubber. PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>
grego

rphenix
5th January 2009, 09:55
Depends on where/how you ride I guess but in the middle of winter crossing the harbour bridge when its damn near hailing and the wind is high and theres plenty of surface water the shinkos dont fill one with confidence and its not as if cars behind you are happy if you drop a few k's off your speed. We got rid of the Shinko's on my wifes GT honestly transformed the bike and her confidence riding in the wet.

I'm still on shinkos had two winters already on the one set and am hoping I can wear the tyres down enough this autumn to justify replacing them for winter.

Grego since your only riding on nice weather days in the Hawkes Bay I wouldnt be in a rush to replace them.

cheshirecat
5th January 2009, 14:01
I relaced the front Pirelli with a Shinko on my VFR. Its ridden daily in all weather and have just returned from a 3500k trip round from the South Island. If anything i slightly prefer it in city traffic wet and had no issues on tour in torential wet or dry. I should add my safety wedge is quite high and don't ride on my brakes. (my london despatch riding brake pads lasted for ages unlike the clutch!) Also I'm far more concerned with road surfaces - gravel. oil, manhole covers, hedgehogs, molten tar etc than ultimate tyre grip.
I've yet to try Mich/bridge/dun etc so comments should be taken in context, every bike is different ie rhenix above, and of course plus/minus 1 psi tyre presures and wear profiles change handling enormously.

R1madness
5th January 2009, 17:59

They will be fine. We had the yokohama equivilent of the shenko slicks and race tyres in the 90s and they won F3 and 250 proddy.
Ahh the good old days....

R1madness
5th January 2009, 18:08
Want another low cost option try MAXXIS Sportradial. I have 1 on the rear of my GSXR1000 and it is fine. Its interesting to see the looks on peoples faces when they are checking out my tyres during a blast. They are confused that i can keep up on a so called "crap brand" (their words not mine) when they are running the latest and greatest track day rubber. They are even more confused when they cant catch me on the next section hehehehe.
So far i have done 5000km and it looks good for another 2000km or so. If i did less rolling burnouts and cack handed wheel stands it would last longer.

riffer
5th January 2009, 18:21
Want another low cost option try MAXXIS Sportradial. I have 1 on the rear of my GSXR1000 and it is fine.

Meh. You can run just about anything on the rear.

What's your front tyre? That's the important one.