PDA

View Full Version : Race report --mella yella

FROSTY
30th December 2004, 10:11
Fisrt practice for me was spent riding bloody slowly scrubbing in my new tyresand realising I'd stuffed up refitting the airbox -no idle and no power-- :baby:
With a huge amount of help from 6chris6 and AJturbo The bike was put back together properly but I missed the second practice -I snuck out for a couple of laps with the classics snuck straight back out for a second practice in F1 and F2
Totally focussed on getting the sweeper line right and minding my own business I got a hell of a scare when lance lowe and co came thundering past apsolutely flying.Good for the ego was that i was not the slowest guy out there -but then ya dont win prizes winning practice. :gob:
Setttling into the groove I found myself circulating in the mid 48's and was totally relaxed with that.
The toe of my left boot got totally muntered -I just dont seem to be able to tuck my toe in.
My scrapers started to get a hammering as I experimented with loading up my knees to keep the bike upright and get better drive.
Race one started with me on the front row-Holey shit batman--Now what.
Well what was another frosty fucked up start and getting swallowed up by the rest of the feild before the first turn.
I had a hell of a battle all race long with a guy on a gsxr400
I finally got him 2 laps from the end and pulled out enough of a lead to beat him.
A positive was that I could see KK only 2 corners in front of me during the whole race.
Race 2-2nd row. A slightly better start and Im right on Hoons backside.
4 laps into the race and i got him and start to pull away -only to have a red flag and stopped race. -shit I was pissed off.
On the restart not such a good start and Hoon and Kk are 4 or 5 places in front of me into turn 1
I barged through to within 2 bikelenths of KK but then got tangled up with 2 other guys -one on a SV650 and the gsxr dude.
2 laps in and mr GSXR was behind me and bugger me if its a yellow honda right in front of me ---Held up by a SV650--fast off the line in corners but slow through em.
KK got great drive into the right hander and nailed mr SV650. I tried to follow him through but SV man shut the door on me.-one of the pictures in EBH write up shows his lovely move -shit KK that was BEAUTY mate.
After that the red veil dropped and I was determined to pass this bloody guy. - I got him exiting the sweeper but He just had so much more HP he just rode past the outside of me on the straight.
Next lap I aimed smack bang at his left leg as he headed into the sweeper and diddnt brake till he had started to turn.The result was I took a really wide line into the sweeper -giving me a tight driving line out.
I Knowing he would have to go wide I covered the right hand side of the track and left him with nowhere to go but around the inside or brake .
He lost momentum and couldnt pass me onto the back straight.
By some miricle I held him out to the end of the race -I may not have won the race but I sure did feel like a winner.
I sat in the van for awile thinking about ways to improve my lap times and improve my start. I was determined to give Hoon and KK a good run for their money.
Race 3 and I got a flyer of a warm up lap--snuck onto the front row of the grid. Flag dropped and I launched reasonably well-not totally swamped --but still lost about 8 places heading into turn 1
The race turned into a bit of a procession for me. On lap 3 I had a huge power slide exiting the hairpin getting on the gas too hard too soon -that cost me half a second and a change of underwear. I got the same exiting the sweeper so I settled for whittling away at the guys in front rather than crashing -which looked highly probable to me.
All in all a bloody good day
Gotta sort out my shitty starts -Im gonna buy me a lil 2 stroke and practice till Im blue in the face.
A real positive or two was beating a SV650 and also having lap times identical to KK and Hoon.
I cannot thank Jturbo enough.
Without him I wouldn't have been at the track.
The mad bugger drove from Tauranga to pick me and my bike up then rode all the way to taupo on his bike.
Fuck mate I hope the beer and The feed said what I couldn't -Ya saved my Bacon.

Ghost Lemur
30th December 2004, 10:26
Great write up Frosty.

Sounds like you could be right up there at the front of the field when you get your starts down.

James Deuce
30th December 2004, 10:36
Good Stuff, and it's really cool to see that YOU think you are improving. OCnfidence is everything!

FROSTY
30th December 2004, 10:48
Jim -My opinion means shit. but thanks anyhow. --When it comes to racing
the stopwatch says it all. That and how a finish of course.
My times are SLOWLY improving--just not as fast as Hoon and KK