PDA

View Full Version : Woman burned at Brass Monkey

Grub
2nd June 2008, 12:14
Pregnant woman burned after 'foolish prank'
Stuff.co.nz - Monday, 02 June 2008

A "foolish action" landed a pregnant woman in hospital with burns to her upper body while attending the annual Brass Monkey Rally in Central Otago at the weekend.

The 30-year-old woman was standing next to a drum full of burning wood trying to keep warm when someone threw accelerant on it, the Otago Daily Times reported.

She was initially taken by ambulance to Maniototo Hospital in Ranfurly, 25km away, before being airlifted to Dunedin Hospital, where she is in a stable condition with second-degree burns to her face, neck and arms.

"It was a foolish action with disastrous repercussions," a St John ambulance officer told the newspaper.

"It destroyed the whole weekend."

Brass Monkey Rally committee member Jeremy Burdett said he was disappointed with the incident and concerned for the woman but that there were no plans to change the rally.

- NZPA

Devil
2nd June 2008, 12:17
What a fucking moron.

Biggles2000
2nd June 2008, 12:22
What a fucking moron.

Yep that about sums it up. Anybody know how the lady is getting along?

98tls
2nd June 2008, 12:25
:bash:Hope all goes well for her recovery,and the little ones ok.

BIHB@0610
2nd June 2008, 12:28
Poor woman! As if pregnancy isn't difficult enough as it is! I hope charges are laid. And I hope she heals soon.

McDuck
2nd June 2008, 12:47
I hope he got the bash.

Headbanger
2nd June 2008, 13:36
I agree, I sincerely hope someone beat the shit out of the fool.

What a terrible thing to do, Feel terrible for the lady who was burned.

avgas
2nd June 2008, 13:45
Not the first time people got burnt at the brass or the first time there were foolish people......and won't be the last.
Shame really.

McDuck
2nd June 2008, 13:48
Not the first time people got burnt at the brass or the first time there were foolish people......and won't be the last.
Shame really.
agree. Where there is alcohol and morons there will be pain. :bye:

fergie
2nd June 2008, 13:51
my best wishes go out to her and best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Daffyd
2nd June 2008, 13:53
A stupid, idiotic act! I hope the idiot's banned from all future rallies.

fridayflash
2nd June 2008, 13:58
the culprit needs my 'doctor martens dental plan'!!

KiwiRat
2nd June 2008, 14:06
Fucking clown shoes.

That's the type of shit you figure out NOT to do when you are about 9 or 10 years old.

NZsarge
2nd June 2008, 14:12
I find that difficult to get my head around, whoever did that needs to be sent to jail for a long time so:

A. the fucker can't breed!

B. that sort of stupidity is'nt walking around the streets.

offrd
2nd June 2008, 14:20
How bloody stupid!

NAME and SHAME..!!

Hope lady recovers with out too much lasting damage.!!!

Mr Triple
2nd June 2008, 14:24
Same as everyone else said, what a DICKHEAD!!!!
All the best to the lady

hellkat
2nd June 2008, 14:38
I bet the organisers are having kittens.

Incidents at rallies always generate WAY more hassle for the organisers than the attending-public realise, so my sympathies are with the organisers of the Brass Monkey, as well as the burnt lady.

Mate of mine who organised a very successful annual rally in the UK had an incident where a woman was wounded by an accidental shotgun discharge: the repercussions were 'interesting' to say the least, both for him as the organiser, and for me (I knew several parties involved and unwittingly/unwillingly found myself in the middle of some VERY frustrating situations, and I wasn't even THERE when it happened) :angry:

My mate had trouble getting a licence the following year (and every year afterwards, he has to jump through hoops to get it).

So while you are all sitting at next years Brass Monkey, getting on the piss and having a good time, spare a thought for the organisers - who are probably already getting grief from plod, and will probably have a hellish year ahead of them, to organise the next one.

I hope the lady in question is alright, and that this situation resolves itself successfully for all parties.

hurricane_r
2nd June 2008, 14:51
hope the lady is okay,

whats brass monkey?

JimO
2nd June 2008, 14:55
hope the lady is okay,

whats brass monkey?

same as a normal monkey but its made out of brass

hurricane_r
2nd June 2008, 14:57
so ppl march down a street, and chant over a monkey made from brass?,

PrincessBandit
2nd June 2008, 14:59
I bet the organisers are having kittens.

Incidents at rallies always generate WAY more hassle for the organisers than the attending-public realise, so my sympathies are with the organisers of the Brass Monkey, as well as the burnt lady.

Mate of mine who organised a very successful annual rally in the UK had an incident where a woman was wounded by an accidental shotgun discharge: the repercussions were 'interesting' to say the least, both for him as the organiser, and for me (I knew several parties involved and unwittingly/unwillingly found myself in the middle of some VERY frustrating situations, and I wasn't even THERE when it happened) :angry:

My mate had trouble getting a licence the following year (and every year afterwards, he has to jump through hoops to get it).

So while you are all sitting at next years Brass Monkey, getting on the piss and having a good time, spare a thought for the organisers - who are probably already getting grief from plod, and will probably have a hellish year ahead of them, to organise the next one.

I hope the lady in question is alright, and that this situation resolves itself successfully for all parties.

Yeah, my sympathy for the burnt lady - the others have already pointed out that whoever was responsible is a complete dickhead and I hope he gets brought to justice over it. But you have raised a very good point as well - meets and rallies must take an awful lot of organising, effort, "oiling-of-the-wheels" etc. to get off the ground. The people who do all this must get frustrated immensely by wankers intent on ruining it, all in the name of having their own misguided 'fun'. Perhaps it is just part of the territory and they simply work at minimising the degree of stupidity that they know will go on but when things like this happen it just beggars belief.

Katman
2nd June 2008, 15:10
but when things like this happen it just beggars belief.

Once you've been to a few of these rallies you get to realise that it's more a matter of 'when', not 'if'.

ynot slow
2nd June 2008, 15:53
Bloody hell,hope the recovery is quick and has a happy ending.It's hard enough getting to and from outings without any injuries,let alone when a moron does this crap.

FJRider
2nd June 2008, 15:55
Yeah, my sympathy for the burnt lady - the others have already pointed out that whoever was responsible is a complete dickhead and I hope he gets brought to justice over it. But you have raised a very good point as well - meets and rallies must take an awful lot of organising, effort, "oiling-of-the-wheels" etc. to get off the ground. The people who do all this must get frustrated immensely by wankers intent on ruining it, all in the name of having their own misguided 'fun'. Perhaps it is just part of the territory and they simply work at minimising the degree of stupidity that they know will go on but when things like this happen it just beggars belief.

My thoughts exactly.

FJRider
2nd June 2008, 16:14
so ppl march down a street, and chant over a monkey made from brass?,

It is a MOTORCYCLE RALLY, where motorcyclists gather,tell lots of lies,drink lots of booze,do silly things and pretend they dont remember LATER. The Rally names may change, but the antics seldom do.

tri boy
2nd June 2008, 16:29
Hopefully heavy charges are laid against the fool.

McDuck
2nd June 2008, 16:33
Did he get delt to by the crowd?

karla
2nd June 2008, 17:02
(warning, rant coming up)
Anyone would think that the person who tried to turn up the heat meant to do this lady harm by intention!

I wasn't there (so yeah I know, I can't really judge) but c'mon all - people make mistakes - especially when there is alcohol involved. It's a fact of life and it doesn't make them bad people, it just makes them unthinking, the way we all can be when we've had a few and have put our brains into park.

Now if it was an intentional "burn her at the stake" action, then that would be a different story. But at the moment I'd err on the side of caution and feel some compassion for the person who has to live with this. That's because I'm one of those who has also done unsafe things when drinking, and sure as heck can't throw the first stone.

(/end rant)

Katman
2nd June 2008, 17:07
(warning, rant coming up)
Anyone would think that the person who tried to turn up the heat meant to do this lady harm by intention!

I wasn't there (so yeah I know, I can't really judge) but c'mon all - people make mistakes - especially when there is alcohol involved. It's a fact of life and it doesn't make them bad people, it just makes them unthinking, the way we all can be when we've had a few and have put our brains into park.

Now if it was an intentional "burn her at the stake" action, then that would be a different story. But at the moment I'd err on the side of caution and feel some compassion for the person who has to live with this. That's because I'm one of those who has also done unsafe things when drinking, and sure as heck can't throw the first stone.

(/end rant)

I can see you're not going to fit in on here at all well.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add - Hi, I'm Katman. I'm sure we can get on very well. :msn-wink:

98tls
2nd June 2008, 17:12
I guess the dipshit will say "i was pissed".I know a bloke who attempted to syphon petrol out of his car with a vacumn cleaner:headbang::killingme and he was sober.

Katman
2nd June 2008, 17:17
I guess the dipshit will say "i was pissed".I know a bloke who attempted to syphon petrol out of his car with a vacumn cleaner:headbang::killingme and he was sober.

And before anyone jumps to conclusions - I'm sure it wasn't 'our' dipshit. :msn-wink:

karla
2nd June 2008, 17:35
Eek - just occured to me ... is this thread for real or is it a joke? I mean, how many KB'ers wouldn't actually like to burn pregnant women at the stake ... truthfully now. :sweatdrop

Ops, perhaps i should deactivate my emotion chip now ..

NighthawkNZ
2nd June 2008, 17:37

Happened Sunday morning... we thought just the tent caught fire till we saw the on site Ambo come down... then it was opps must be a bit more serious than that...

Nagash
2nd June 2008, 19:53
I have to agree with Karla..

Sure this guy's a dipshit, but he was just trying to get abit of extra heat from the fire in the best way he knew how.

Unfortunately, a the cliche' goes, play with fire and someone's gonna get burnt and that's exactly what happened..

---

But hell, who gives a fuck. I hope somebody beating the living day lights out of him!

McDuck
2nd June 2008, 20:03
I have to agree with Karla..

Sure this guy's a dipshit, but he was just trying to get abit of extra heat from the fire in the best way he knew how.

Unfortunately, a the cliche' goes, play with fire and someone's gonna get burnt and that's exactly what happened..

---

But hell, who gives a fuck. I hope somebody beating the living day lights out of him!

I have tipped diesel onto a fire before. INcress in flame up about a foot. Unless she was a midget he did one hell of a lot more than poor a cup of gas on.

gav
2nd June 2008, 21:12
Diesel? Do you think he rode a Guzzi? :devil2:

FLYMO
2nd June 2008, 21:22
yeah i think a name and shame campaign is in order
wat a right royal bohemian jungle runner
hey i aint got any teeth hopefully he aint got any either
mine were due to a accident bike related.not foot related like his should be

Headbanger
2nd June 2008, 21:28
Being boozed is no defence, And to claim otherwise is weak and pathetic.

Shoot the fuck.

BiK3RChiK
2nd June 2008, 21:40
I can see what Karla is saying, however, there are stupid actions, and then there are STUPID actions!

I truly hope the lady is going to be ok, but 'face, neck and arms' does not sound good to me! I hope she gets a big payout and someone goes DOWN and not in a good way either! :bash:

I am still stunned after reading this... Gentle:hug: to her and a big get well.

dipshit
2nd June 2008, 21:58
And before anyone jumps to conclusions - I'm sure it wasn't 'our' dipshit. :msn-wink:

No, it wasn't me.

I was too occupied watching some young ladies bending over folding up their tent. :confused:

CookMySock
2nd June 2008, 22:00
Once you've been to a few of these rallies you get to realise that it's more a matter of 'when', not 'if'.BRING IT ON!! Thats half the fun of getting out and getting stupid!

It is a MOTORCYCLE RALLY, where motorcyclists gather,tell lots of lies,drink lots of booze,do silly things and pretend they dont remember LATER. The Rally names may change, but the antics seldom do.Yup. A great way to relax.

people make mistakes - especially when there is alcohol involved. It's a fact of life and it doesn't make them bad people, it just makes them unthinking, the way we all can be when we've had a few and have put our brains into park. Nope, sorry. This is plain dangerous stupidity. There is stupidity, and there is dangerous stupidity where people get maimed. One of them is great fun, and the other is wrong. People who don't get the difference get banned - too bad.

Bring on the stupidity, getting off scott-free, trashing the speed-limit, breaking the law, screwing the IRD, sex games, lighting a fire where you shouldn't, drinking too much piss, growing a dope plant, and all the other quality entertainment. But NEVER overstep that mark where someone gets hurt. Bad bad bad bad bad!!! Everything changes then.

DB

hayd3n
2nd June 2008, 22:09
very careless/stupid mistake by that someone . One that she will have to live with for life, and one i hope that someone will pay for!!!!!!
karma burns back!!!!!!!

McDuck
2nd June 2008, 22:15
Diesel? Do you think he rode a Guzzi? :devil2:

Na HD........

karla
2nd June 2008, 23:32
BRING IT ON!! Thats half the fun of getting out and getting stupid!

Yup. A great way to relax.

Nope, sorry. This is plain dangerous stupidity. There is stupidity, and there is dangerous stupidity where people get maimed. One of them is great fun, and the other is wrong. People who don't get the difference get banned - too bad.

Bring on the stupidity, getting off scott-free, trashing the speed-limit, breaking the law, screwing the IRD, sex games, lighting a fire where you shouldn't, drinking too much piss, growing a dope plant, and all the other quality entertainment. But NEVER overstep that mark where someone gets hurt. Bad bad bad bad bad!!! Everything changes then.

DB

Mmmm - alright, I stand down slightly. We are morally and ethically judged by our actions, not our intentions. If a person is trying to be helpful, and ends up causing harm, they are responsible and have to live with that.

However, a shaming and blaming witch hunt on a cyber forum (bullying) just causes denial, hurt and anger/rage. If we throw threats and intimidation we are wallowing in it, especially if we are intentionally trying to hurt the guilty party. Shaming doesn't help, it inhibits recovery by encouraging denial and preventing discussion. It is a feminist tactic, that leaves little space for support or insight into our own behaviour. Finger pointing.

Guilt comes from our own individual moral codes; people who have no guilt could care less about judgement by others. Who are we to say that someone else doesn't have a code of values?

It takes courage and strength to take steps to apologize and look at or change our behaviours. To do this we need to be given space and encouragement. Not something that happens while others are turning up the heat.

"Learn to distinguish errors of knowledge from moral evil." John Galt.

I wish I had taken philosophy ... maybe, one day :rolleyes:

ajturbo
2nd June 2008, 23:33
now THAT is FUNNY!

98tls
2nd June 2008, 23:47
now THAT is FUNNY! What i found funny was how the fuck he managed to fuck 2 cars a garage and a vacumn cleaner and still walk away.:beer:

CookMySock
3rd June 2008, 08:03
Karla, yeah its great being around folks who get the difference.

Sounds like I should get along to more of these events.

DB

CookMySock
3rd June 2008, 08:05
What i found funny was how the fuck he managed to fuck 2 cars a garage and a vacumn cleaner and still walk away.:beer:daaaaamn, pity you werent there with the camera ready ay. That would get millions of hits on youtube, and much respect as well. lol.

DB

Jantar
3rd June 2008, 10:41
OK, I wasn't there, so I'm not going to lay blame based on a newspaper report.

I would ask though: How many people here have been to Brass Monkey, and not used accelerant to get a fire going in the drums provided?
Or, if you haven't personally used accellerant, have you ever tried to prevent anyone else using it at the drum you are standing closest to?

Those who are regular attendees will understand, and I see most of those who are for hanging the guy responsible have never been to a Brass.

CookMySock
3rd June 2008, 12:43
Those who are regular attendees will understand, and I see most of those who are for hanging the guy responsible have never been to a Brass.Understand that you can throw accellerant on a fire with some lady standing right next to it ?

What am I not getting ? If that was my wife, pregnant or not, there would have been a serious violent incident afterwards, and I don't mean the burning.

DB

Jantar
3rd June 2008, 13:03
Understand that you can throw accellerant on a fire with some lady standing right next to it ?

What am I not getting ? If that was my wife, pregnant or not, there would have been a serious violent incident afterwards, and I don't mean the burning.

DB
And that comment shows the very reason that I will not lay blame based on a newspaper report. Was the fire even showing any sign of life when the accelerant was added? Was it the woman's own husband who did it?

So much we just don't know, yet the police are sufficiently satisfied that no charges are to be laid.

Mikkel
3rd June 2008, 13:44
whats brass monkey?

A brass monkey is a stand for stacking old-school round cannon-balls on. [nerd-mode]Brass has a different coefficient of thermal expansion than the cast iron the cannon-balls were made from...[/nerd-mode] So, if it got really cold the cannon-balls would fall off the stand - and thus the saying 'cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey'.

Incidentally the name has been applied to a mid-winter motorcycle rally in Central Otago...

While I agree with you Karla - especially in that it's not for a bunch of forum members to dispense 'justice' - mixing alcohol and pyrotechnics is incredibly stupid (Unless you're a pro of course :cool:). Especially in a camp full of tents made from nylon...
No-one wins in these situations - and I'd expect, and hope, that the guy who threw the petrol is in a sad state (not physically mind you).

I hope the lady is going to be alright - if she 'only' got 2nd degree burns she shouldn't get scaring.

jrandom
3rd June 2008, 13:50
A brass monkey is a stand for stacking old-school round cannon-balls on. [nerd-mode]Brass has a different coefficient of thermal expansion than the cast iron the cannon-balls were made from...[/nerd-mode] So, if it got really cold the cannon-balls would fall off the stand - and thus the saying 'cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey'.

Wikipedia disagrees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey_(colloquial_expression)) with your etymology, as does Snopes (http://snopes.com./language/stories/brass.asp).

imdying
3rd June 2008, 14:16
I tend to agree with Karla.

However, if they are going to go after the guy who did it legally, that's fine, but they should look into charging the Brass Monkey organisers as well. If it turns out he had been drinking to excess, then it leans on their legal obligation as hosts to ensure that he's drinking responsible. If they can't do that, then the event should be canned.

CookMySock
3rd June 2008, 14:46
If it turns out he had been drinking to excess, then it leans on their legal obligation as hosts to ensure that he's drinking responsible. If they can't do that, then the event should be canned.It is a shame though, because there is are less and less places and events where we can do a good old-fashioned kick-up-some-dust and have a real good hooly. The reason ? Some twat has GOT to do something daft that puts someone else at risk, and what does the gubmint do about it ? They fucking make a NEW RULE!! Like we need that...

DB

oldrider
3rd June 2008, 14:47
All this talk about the "guy" who did it, even with no charges laid, no further enquiries, etc etc.

Maybe the poor lady did it herself accidentally and suffered the consequences of her own actions!

Whatever, I hope her injuries heal quickly and without scarring.

If it was another persons fault, I hope they get their just deserts, soon!

The Brass Monkey is a well run and enjoyable event, long may it prosper. :yes: John.

Coldrider
3rd June 2008, 15:12
Some people are just dumb, with or without alcohol, the BM is could be ruined by dumbarses, it could end up like the Cold Kiwi where alcohol was not to be taken from the roped compound, and could only be purchased from the club. Not to say whether alcohol was the problem in this instance, but dumbarses are very hard to control, other than an IQ test at the entrance gate.

pritch
3rd June 2008, 15:20
other than an IQ test at the entrance gate.

I get it. You can't get in unless you fail the test?

ManDownUnder
3rd June 2008, 15:22
.... dumbarses are very hard to control, other than an IQ test at the entrance gate.

You talking about the Brass Monkey or Parliament now...?

Coldrider
3rd June 2008, 15:24
I get it. You can't get in unless you fail the test?

Yeah, you are probably right, even highly intelligent people do stupid things.

trustme
3rd June 2008, 15:34
Dont post too much but boy is this getting all sorts of opinions
I cant let imdying go unanswered because that is the typical socialist, PC, fun Nazi, thought police response .
Yeah lets blame the organisers for running the event
Lets blame the bike makers , they make the bikes we ride there
Lets blame Bryant & May because they made the matches.
Lets blame the oil companies , they made the accelerant
Lets blame the gummint, obviously the tax on fuel is far too low if this
dipshit can afford to waste it on a fire

It is all about personal responsibility, we should all know right from wrong & accept responsibility for our actions & not look to blame everyone else.
If we keep going the imdying way there will be no events of any sort for anyone because the world will cater only for the lowest common denominator.
Imdying , I suggest you hurry up & get on with it.
RANT OVER

karla
3rd June 2008, 15:45
I cant let imdying go unanswered because that is the typical socialist, PC, fun Nazi, thought police response .

It is all about personal responsibility, we should all know right from wrong & accept responsibility for our actions & not look to blame everyone else.
If we keep going the imdying way there will be no events of any sort for anyone because the world will cater only for the lowest common denominator.
RANT OVER

Glad you came out to rant :)

It's sad when we try to make rules to prevent stupidity. It actually has the opposite effect of diminishing the need to take personal responsibility.

Bling for your post, and for pointing that out ~

karla
3rd June 2008, 15:53
All this talk about the "guy" who did it, even with no charges laid, no further enquiries, etc etc.

Good point - the news clip says "when <b>someone</b> threw accelerant on it".

It begs the question of course whether "someone" isn't being charged is because they were a woman (men bad, women good mentality).

Would everyone here be so quick to cast punishment knowing that it was a woman? Or would the punishment be worse. :bash: :2guns:

Eeek ! :eek5:

imdying
3rd June 2008, 16:03
trustme, you may have missed my point a little, but if you're not a regular, that doesn't surprise me, as it was cryptic and really aimed at the regulars.

Point is, please do consider that we do not live in a country that encourages personal responsibility, and therefore if this person is taken down through due public process, it could very well take the rally with it. We need to be careful how things like this are dealt with. Vigilante justice isn't encouraged which leaves us with the justice system, and the bureaucracy that comes with it.

Mikkel
3rd June 2008, 16:16
Wikipedia disagrees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey_(colloquial_expression)) with your etymology, as does Snopes (http://snopes.com./language/stories/brass.asp).

At least the jury seems to be out on the what the origin is...
However, I never said anything about ships - I was thinking about landbased artillery.

But yes, I suspect that a better saying would be 'cold enough to freeze the buttons of a Napoleonic soldier'... ;)

However, if they are going to go after the guy who did it legally, that's fine, but they should look into charging the Brass Monkey organisers as well. If it turns out he had been drinking to excess, then it leans on their legal obligation as hosts to ensure that he's drinking responsible. If they can't do that, then the event should be canned.

It is a shame though, because there is are less and less places and events where we can do a good old-fashioned kick-up-some-dust and have a real good hooly. The reason ? Some twat has GOT to do something daft that puts someone else at risk, and what does the gubmint do about it ? They fucking make a NEW RULE!! Like we need that...

Guys, you gotta make up your minds...
Do you want to live in a society where fuck-ups and improper behaviour (e.g. riding big, noisy and/or fast motorcycles) is not tolerated?
...or are you willing to accept that every now and again people get hurt because they are having their fun without contemplating each and every possible consequence their actions might have?

imdying's point is valid and needs some thought I reckon.

Pedrostt500
3rd June 2008, 17:35
Yup no sooner, do you Invent some thing that is Fool Proof, Then some one goes out and builds a better Idiot.

FJRider
3rd June 2008, 18:14
Eek - just occured to me ... is this thread for real or is it a joke? I mean, how many KB'ers wouldn't actually like to burn pregnant women at the stake ... truthfully now. :sweatdrop

not often...

Gibbo13p
3rd June 2008, 18:15
Excuse me for asking but, would it have been worse or better if she had been not pregnant, and how pregnant was she? Can't have been full on pregnant to be at a bike rally surely....And did she stand there and watch whoever may have done it????? Must have been someone she trusted do you think?

kiwi cowboy
3rd June 2008, 18:44

RANT OVER

was going to have a go at imdying myself but you said everything and soooooo well :yes:

BiK3RChiK
3rd June 2008, 19:23
Excuse me for asking but, would it have been worse or better if she had been not pregnant, and how pregnant was she? Can't have been full on pregnant to be at a bike rally surely....And did she stand there and watch whoever may have done it????? Must have been someone she trusted do you think?

It'll have a big bearing on her treatment and what medicines she can be administered for a start. Then there is the stress caused to her and her baby, which could be detrimental to fetal development....

CookMySock
3rd June 2008, 19:28
...or are you willing to accept that every now and again people get hurt because they are having their fun without contemplating each and every possible consequence their actions might have?I think that is fair - sometimes bad shit comes like a bolt of lightning out of the clear blue sky, and fits into the "whoever would have thought of that?" category.

But in this case, someone threw some fuel on a bloody fire with someone standing next to it! Lightning bolt out of clear blue sky? Really? I do not think so. This was plain stupidity - the dangerous sort.

DB

Katman
3rd June 2008, 19:41
If I had a dollar for every aerosol can I've heard explode in a fire at a motorbike rally, I could retire.

Mom
3rd June 2008, 19:50
If I had a dollar for every aerosol can I've heard explode in a fire at a motorbike rally, I could retire.

You should try ventolin inhaler canisters! Not me of course, but I understand they really go off!

Subike
3rd June 2008, 20:15

amazing Katman!
You accually attend biker rallys!!!

Where dangerous riders, drunken bums, arrogant loose women, speed freeks, wheely gurus, dope smokers plus other undesirabile persons get together on mass to have fun!
I thought you were against this sort of behaviour, and you attend!!

On subject, If we were to take in to account all the variabiles that can, may , possibly happen......and acted accordingly in a resposibile way, all the time without fail.....I would never bother to attend a rally. A knitting circle would be more fun.
Why do half of the spectators go to a race meeting?
To see the winners? or see the crashes.
Rallys attract those that want to see the unusual happen. Unfortunatly, this time it was at the cost of a mother to be, a this is not good for those involved. But I am sure we could all recite a story of an incident at a rally where somebody got injured, amoung other things. Its the nature of the event.

Katman
3rd June 2008, 20:40
amazing Katman!
You accually attend biker rallys!!!

Where dangerous riders, drunken bums, arrogant loose women, speed freeks, wheely gurus, dope smokers plus other undesirabile persons get together on mass to have fun!
I thought you were against this sort of behaviour, and you attend!!

When you offered Mark a job I thought you were an idiot. When Mark accepted (and followed through) with the offer, my opinion of him changed overnight and I suddenly had a lot of respect for you.

I'm now back to thinking you're an idiot.

CookMySock
3rd June 2008, 20:51
I'm now back to thinking you're an idiot.I thought his post wasnt really called for either.

DB

CookMySock
3rd June 2008, 20:53
Rallys attract those that want to see the unusual happen. Unfortunatly, this time it was at the cost of a mother to be, a this is not good for those involved. But I am sure we could all recite a story of an incident at a rally where somebody got injured, amoung other things. Its the nature of the event.This wasnt "unusual" it was fucking dangerous.

Throwing fuel on a fire with some standing next to it is "the nature of the event" ?? You are full of shit.

DB

Number One
3rd June 2008, 20:54
You should try ventolin inhaler canisters! Not me of course, but I understand they really go off!
I have a whole draw full of them....................................

I mighta just got me an idear :innocent:

Kickaha
3rd June 2008, 21:07

I don't think they'd be as good as 1/4 full cans of lighter fluid:shifty:

or the old glass 1/2 G with metal tops 1/4 full of petrol:gob:

Winston001
3rd June 2008, 22:06
Sheesh team, a lot of histronics here.

As has been earlier pointed out, the lady herself may have made this mistake. We don't know.

Unlikely to be alcohol related accident - it occurred in the morning.

It was an accident. Silly yes, intentional, of course not.

Bike rallies are not teddy bear picnics. With lots of heavy powerful bikes around, light rain, mud, fire etc etc, its a risky place.

I had friends staying in the St Johns caravan onsite and they didn't even mention this incident when I spoke to them today.

karla
3rd June 2008, 22:40
Sheesh team, a lot of histronics here.

As has been earlier pointed out, the lady herself may have made this mistake. We don't know.

Unlikely to be alcohol related accident - it occurred in the morning.

It was an accident. Silly yes, intentional, of course not.

Bike rallies are not teddy bear picnics. With lots of heavy powerful bikes around, light rain, mud, fire etc etc, its a risky place.

I had friends staying in the St Johns caravan onsite and they didn't even mention this incident when I spoke to them today.

I spoke to a friend and he heard that the incident happened in the night and following getting burned she went to bed. It was only in the morning that she got help. So she can't have thought it was too bad at first.

But I've decided anyway, after careful consideration of this thread, that I am not going to ever attend a rally pregnant.

I'm not ever going to be pregnant again, but that's beside the point :banana: LOL

Mikkel
4th June 2008, 01:24
But in this case, someone threw some fuel on a bloody fire with someone standing next to it! Lightning bolt out of clear blue sky? Really? I do not think so. This was plain stupidity - the dangerous sort.

With a bit of experience (the trial by fire kind here) it is possible to have some sense of what is going to happen if you throw X ml of Y combustible liquid onto a fire.

However, sometimes you still get surprised. Come on, anyone here who haven't tried throwing fuel at a fire? Anyone here who have gotten the odd unexpected result from doing so? Any unexpected near misses?

Unfortunatly, this time it was at the cost of a mother to be, a this is not good for those involved.

And we've heard nothing to indicate that she is not still going to be a mother - so in all honesty it could be a whole lot worse!

my opinion of him changed overnight and I suddenly had a lot of respect for you.

Fortunately for you, if you don't like uncertainty, I don't think that anyones opinion of you is changing that fast. I suspect you'll take this as a compliment - so if you are in doubt - it is not.

I spoke to a friend and he heard that the incident happened in the night and following getting burned she went to bed. It was only in the morning that she got help. So she can't have thought it was too bad at first.

Maybe, just maybe, she was drunk as well. How is that for responsibility :rolleyes:

CookMySock
4th June 2008, 05:43
However, sometimes you still get surprised. Come on, anyone here who haven't tried throwing fuel at a fire? Anyone here who have gotten the odd unexpected result from doing so? Any unexpected near misses?Yep. So you move people from the area first. "Move side for a second miss while I hiff this stuff on..." FOOOOOOM!!!!! ewps! didn't expect that! no harm done.

I a not blameless however. I have had my time playing with explosives and other dangerous crap. I never actually hurt anyone, but we got way too close, way too many times. Not any more. :crazy: I'll still do it, but not until I have really checked it out.

DB

Katman
4th June 2008, 08:38
Fortunately for you, if you don't like uncertainty, I don't think that anyones opinion of you is changing that fast. I suspect you'll take this as a compliment - so if you are in doubt - it is not.

I'm devastated. :msn-wink:

Mikkel
4th June 2008, 09:34
Yep. So you move people from the area first. "Move side for a second miss while I hiff this stuff on..." FOOOOOOM!!!!! ewps! didn't expect that! no harm done.

Indeed, when you are old, wise and sober behind a keyboard :yes:

I a not blameless however. I have had my time playing with explosives and other dangerous crap. I never actually hurt anyone, but we got way too close, way too many times. Not any more. :crazy: I'll still do it, but not until I have really checked it out.

Well, most fun things here in life has some sort of risk associated with it. Be it racing bikes, sex, loud music, alcohol or things that go BOOM! :headbang:

Skunk
4th June 2008, 09:50
All very interesting discussions...

But how is the woman?

CookMySock
4th June 2008, 12:22
But how is the woman?What is this "woman" you speak of ?

DB

Winston001
4th June 2008, 13:20
The Wise Woman:

There are two things you must know about her-

First - that she is Wise.....

And the second thing.....

Yes? Yes? Well, get on with it!!

That she is a WOMAN

sunhuntin
4th June 2008, 14:01
I would ask though: How many people here have been to Brass Monkey, and not used accelerant to get a fire going in the drums provided?
Or, if you haven't personally used accellerant, have you ever tried to prevent anyone else using it at the drum you are standing closest to?

while ive never attended a brass, i have gone to several other rallies, both here and in canada.
the local ones... nothing more stupid than 6am burnouts happened.
the canadian ones... nothing more stupid that dropping the bbq [yes, the carriers were drunk, but no injuries or major fire started]
the canuck ones also had bonfires... bigger than any ive seen here. the attendants were mostly drunk, and a few stoned on pot, yet nothing flammable was thrown on except for logs and left overs from the food.

there was no reason to prevent petrol being thrown on because it wasnt attempted in the first place.

Robin
4th June 2008, 17:37
Yep that about sums it up. Anybody know how the lady is getting along? Hello im the father of the girl who got burnt , She came home today with hand dressings , The baby is fine Such a stupid needless act has impacted our whole family .Thank you to all that helped

CookMySock
4th June 2008, 17:47
Hello im the father of the girl who got burnt , She came home today with hand dressings , The baby is fine Such a stupid needless act has impacted our whole familyWell, do tell her that there's a HUGE ruckus on the Internet about the goofball that caused the problem, and that she is now quite the Celebrity on KB. :niceone:

DB

Snakeman
4th June 2008, 17:55
unbelievably dumb:(

oldrider
4th June 2008, 18:01
Hello im the father of the girl who got burnt , She came home today with hand dressings , The baby is fine Such a stupid needless act has impacted our whole family .Thank you to all that helped

Perhaps you can throw some light on exactly what happened, it would make a change from all the speculation that is going on on here.

If your daughter was an innocent that suffered at the hands of some dickhead then I offer my sympathies and best wishes. :doctor: John.

Robin
5th June 2008, 06:14
[QUOTE=oldrider;1592685]Perhaps you can throw some light on exactly what happened, it would make a change from all the speculation that is going on on here.

If your daughter was an innocent that suffered at the hands of some dickhead then I offer my sympathies and best wishes. :doctor: John.[/QU OTE] After talking to our daughter last night it appears that the doctors are really happy with how she is comming olong . Her face now is so much better and her hands will be in dressings for some time .. Her baby has been monitor regully She is in good spirits and is a very brave young girl ..... Now the truth,,,,, It was a silly unfortunate action that went horribly wronge ,, She told us she holds no hard feelings towards the other person . Thank you to all of you who show concern and i hope this may stop any speculation

Katman
5th June 2008, 08:48
and i hope this may stop any speculation

Ah yes, you're new to Kiwibiker, aren't you? :msn-wink:

karla
5th June 2008, 08:59
[QUOTE=oldrider;1592685]Perhaps you can throw some light on exactly what happened, it would make a change from all the speculation that is going on on here.

If your daughter was an innocent that suffered at the hands of some dickhead then I offer my sympathies and best wishes. :doctor: John.[/QU OTE] After talking to our daughter last night it appears that the doctors are really happy with how she is comming olong . Her face now is so much better and her hands will be in dressings for some time .. Her baby has been monitor regully She is in good spirits and is a very brave young girl ..... Now the truth,,,,, It was a silly unfortunate action that went horribly wronge ,, She told us she holds no hard feelings towards the other person . Thank you to all of you who show concern and i hope this may stop any speculation

:niceone:

Your daughter sounds like a strong woman, emotionally and physically. Takes a stronger person to forgive and get on with it, than one to resent and complain.

When I was pregnant I got an electric shock trying to save a goose and dog from an electric fence. Baby booted me severely in protest, and I was always just a little worried there might have been some damage. But baby is 20 now, healthy and A+ student at varsity. It may have worked the other way round, that intelligence didn't come from me or his dad! :oi-grr:

Good to hear your baby, and her baby, and someone elses baby (flame-thrower) are all ok ~

CookMySock
5th June 2008, 09:04
It was a silly unfortunate action that went horribly wrongeaha "some dick did something stupid" then.. :crazy:

Well, here's his :first: he deserves it. He's not speaking up here yet, so looks like he's fully embarrassed. :spanking:

DB

sinfull
5th June 2008, 09:27
When I was pregnant I got an electric shock trying to save a goose and dog from an electric fence. Baby booted me severely in protest, and I was always just a little worried there might have been some damage. But baby is 20 now, healthy and A+ student at varsity.

Varsity student seen sneeking out at night and wandering around with a battery powered electric fence unit ! When stopped by police, he was off in a flash !

Mikkel
5th June 2008, 11:58
Well, here's his :first: he deserves it. He's not speaking up here yet, so looks like he's fully embarrassed. :spanking:

Have you considered, just for a second, that there probably were participants at the Brass Monkey who doesn't frequent KB? :scratch:

CookMySock
5th June 2008, 12:45
Have you considered, just for a second, that there probably were participants at the Brass Monkey who doesn't frequent KB? :scratch:are you serious ? :shifty:

DB

Duke girl
5th June 2008, 13:27
How devastating that must have been for her, and her unborn child. The mentality of some people makes u wonder why they do what they do. I wish her well in her recovery and all the best for the birth of your unborn child.