PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Honda STX1300

Hitcher
30th December 2004, 20:02
The Honda (there, I said it) STX1300 is a highly recommended ride. Scoff ye not!

The first impression I had was of the buzzy V4 – a much different engine note to that of the Zrex.

The second impression was of the nose – it has one. A Zrex (like most naked bikes) doesn’t.

Third impression was that the nose doesn’t turn with the bars. A bit disconcerting while initially manoeuvring across ANZA’s forecourt.

Instrumentation is all “right there”. Tach and speed are good old-fashioned analogue dials and easy to read. The rest of the display is digital (multi trip meters, odometer, fuel economy, clock, fuel level, engine temperature and a clock) and a bit hard to read on a sunny day through polarising lenses but none-the-less legible. Idiot lights for Africa.

Mirrors are large and convex (objects are closer than they appear). They’re also low, which took a bit of getting used to, as did seeing your hands in them!

Slow speed riding was easier than expected, thanks to a low seat (both feet nice and flat on the ground when at rest), low weight distribution and Honda’s (said it again) linked brake system.

Once rolling, the V4 buzzes away freely delivering power pretty smoothly (almost neck-snappingly). There is a bit of evidence of “fuel injectorvitis” but not as bad as on some other bikes I’ve ridden. Of course, being a shaftee it can’t wheelie...

Speed rolls on surprisingly quickly. These things are real license losers! On a naked bike speed is gained with a commensurate increase in wind loading for the rider. Not so behind a full fairing. The acceleration on the STX is impressive, both from rest and as roll-on from 120kmh in top (the specs say this is a five-speed box but I’m sure I counted six). I was through 160kmh in an instant on a couple of occasions…

The gearbox is “typical Honda” (said it again). However the Zrex has an impressive shifter as well and, unlike the STX, doesn’t find neutral when up or down shifting on the roll (thank you Mr Kawasaki).

I was somewhat surprised at the wind noise and buffet behind the screen – not as good as I had expected. Having said that, the screen was in its fully-raised position (no electric adjustment on the 2002 model) and the wind was blowing strongly in the Manawatu yesterday. The buffet from crosswinds was more noticeable on the Honda (said it again) than on the Zrex on the same roads later in the day.

Into the twisties and this machine is surprisingly agile. Not as “flickable” as the Zrex or a sportsbike, but a good rider on the STX would give a Rimutaka squid a run for their money.

Mrs H hopped on and was immediately singing the praises of the STX’s back seat. Good leg position, good squab and well-located grab handles. She was still impressed after a reasonably long run around the Manawatu. Two days before she had spent several hundred km as a pillion on the Zrex and was critical of its seat angle and peg height. Taller pillions would no doubt suffer more.

There was no discernable difference from my point of view with having a pillion on board. There is a well located rear suspension pre-load control but, like most of the customisable do dackies on offer, I didn’t fiddle during the test rides.

Braking is amazing. “Purists” scoff at Honda’s (again) linked brakes but gee they’re good. I was in awe of them during an earlier test ride of a Blackbird.

2002 Honda STX1300. 8,880km. Immaculate nick. OEM Bridgestone Battlax 020s front and rear.

And so, gentle readers, the Sultry Temptress from the Dark Side has cast a spell on me. I am conflicted with two things: A deep affection for a Zrex, which I rank highly as a versatile and competent ride and an equally deep affection for my hard-earned, tax-paid savings.

Sigh…

jrandom
30th December 2004, 20:17
What *I'm* most interested in is what you'll get for the ZRX if you flick it.

Being as I shall be most interested in the practical parameters of such a transaction a year or so from now.

Racey Rider
30th December 2004, 20:20
Be Strong Mate!

Remember all the past silly things you've done over previous New Years breaks!
:no:

Hitcher
30th December 2004, 20:26
What *I'm* most interested in is what you'll get for the ZRX if you flick it.

Being as I shall be most interested in the practical parameters of such a transaction a year or so from now.
The Zrex is a comparatively rare breed of cycle. Kawasaki only imported the R version into New Zealand as an afterthought. Their original masterplan was to sell the S version. They sold bugger all Ss and comparatively lots of the Rs. Shows what marketing people know! However, there are few Rs around. New Plymouth Motorcycles have a brand-spanking S version on the floor that remains unsold after about two years. And they still want $17,000 for it...

I reckon that a fair retail price for an R in good order is about $10,500 to $12,500, depending on condition, etc. I probably have a high mileage version (2002, 45,500km), as most owners I imagine tool around on theirs, rather than doing the big trips mine has done.

An aftermarket can is a must. They sound naff with the standard zorst.

Suspension front and rear is fully adjustable for your riding pleasure. The brakes are outstanding (arguably overbraked). The saddle will see your arse right for those times when you really do have to ride 1,600km in 24 hours...

And I really like candy lime green!

Hitcher
2nd January 2005, 18:34
I succumbed... Or rather ANZA accepted my ludicrously insulting offer.

The Darkside has claimed another soul...

There's a photo to check out in my profile (for any who give a toss).

An STX1300 goes a lot better too with the correct tyre pressures. I thought it was taking quite a bit of oversteer when being "pushed" through corners. Mr Honda recommends 42psi front and rear. Front was 15 and rear was 22. I was blaming the Battlax 020s, but it "flicks" now. Also helped cruising economy up from 19km/l to 22km/l.

We're doing an "overnighter" tomorrow to New Plymouth. Woo hoo!

If anybody wants a fastidiously maintained ZRX1200R with a genuine 45,500km amd about 5,000km left on the rear Metzeler Roadtec Z6, Scottoiler and Neptune can, go and have a chat to the guys at ANZA. It should be on their showroom floor as soon as it's groomed.

Blakamin
2nd January 2005, 19:01
Congrats on the new bike!!! :niceone:

merv
2nd January 2005, 19:08
Good on ya mate, welcome to V4 land.

Jeez those tyre pressures were just about down to dirt bike level.

Hitcher
2nd January 2005, 19:33
A V4 is certainly a lot different experience to an in-line.

vifferman
2nd January 2005, 19:42
I am stunned, Sir!!

Congrats on the new ride. :niceone:

erik
3rd January 2005, 09:25
An STX1300 goes a lot better too with the correct tyre pressures. I thought it was taking quite a bit of oversteer when being "pushed" through corners. Mr Honda recommends 42psi front and rear. Front was 15 and rear was 22. I was blaming the Battlax 020s, but it "flicks" now. Also helped cruising economy up from 19km/l to 22km/l.

Nice bike :niceone:

Those tyre pressures on your test ride sound downright dangerous!
Especially for such a heavy bike, the tyres must've been almost squashed flat?

Cajun
5th January 2005, 06:34
Nice work Hitcher, lovely looking bike

James Deuce
5th January 2005, 07:08
I succumbed... Or rather ANZA accepted my ludicrously insulting offer.

The Darkside has claimed another soul...

There's a photo to check out in my profile (for any who give a toss).

We're doing an "overnighter" tomorrow to New Plymouth. Woo hoo!

If anybody wants a fastidiously maintained ZRX1200R with a genuine 45,500km amd about 5,000km left on the rear Metzeler Roadtec Z6, Scottoiler and Neptune can, go and have a chat to the guys at ANZA. It should be on their showroom floor as soon as it's groomed.

Hah! A proper bike covered in plastic no less.

Given that you are at work today, we should slack off for a celebratory coffee or lunch or something.

manuboy
5th January 2005, 07:30
MMMMMM mmmmmmmm.

I was always (even at the age of less than 21) a big fan of the ST series. Never ridden one but. For some reason i seem to be able to ignore all the things i wouldn't be able to do on it that i can do on a sporty and focus more on what that bike is good at - gobbling miles in superb comfort and looking shit hot while doing it.

One day, when i arrive home after a twisty knee scraping session devoid of the same old buzz, and the bank account manager on the couch beside me gives me the go ahead, it's gonna come down to a BMW / ST decision...

Hitcher
5th January 2005, 07:46
I was always (even at the age of less than 21) a big fan of the ST series. Never ridden one but. For some reason i seem to be able to ignore all the things i wouldn't be able to do on it that i can do on a sporty and focus more on what that bike is good at - gobbling miles in superb comfort and looking shit hot while doing it.
Well, after 1,200km, I can report that while not as fast as a sports bike through twisities, careful attention to the road line and the old "easy in, fast out" cornering technique means these things can hustle if they need to.

manuboy
5th January 2005, 07:50
Well, after 1,200km, I can report that while not as fast as a sports bike through twisities, careful attention to the road line and the old "easy in, fast out" cornering technique means these things can hustle if they need to.

I know nowt about this genre of machine. What are some of the stock features (apart from the REALLY obvious stuff like paniers). Rider / passenger intercom?

Any vibration at all through anywhere (bars / pegs / tank)?

Hitcher
5th January 2005, 08:09
I know nowt about this genre of machine. What are some of the stock features (apart from the REALLY obvious stuff like paniers). Rider / passenger intercom?

Any vibration at all through anywhere (bars / pegs / tank)?
That's a big negatory on a stock intercom there, good buddy. But Mrs H and I already had this base covered.

Stock features? I'm still enjoying the on-road entertainment provided by the trip computer and mult-featured dashboard display. Fuel economy, distance to "stop" once you hit reserve, time, ambient temperature, two trip meters, fuel gauge, engine temperature gauge. The capital of Burkina Faso is Ougadougou and high tide isn't expected there for quite some time, apparently...

Vibration? Enough to let you know it's going! If the STX1300 is a "gold standard" for smoothness, then a Kawasaki ZRX1200R isn't too far off the pace. The front rebound damping isn't is good as my ex-Kwak but that's starting to get really picky...

MD
6th January 2005, 18:48
Good review and a smart looking machine Hitcher. Thanks for letting me put a leg over it. Surprisingly light at a stand still.
A couple of observations.
1. you did well in the first post using the "H" word six times. No, lets be out there and say it ...H o n d a. That's progress just keep taking the transitional medication (the red pills not the yellow transgender pills) until the word flows smoothly off your tongue without hesitation. Change can be hard but their are support groups available for bike swappers.
2. If you ever ride in a singlet remember to shave under your armpits otherwise your mirrors wont work.
3. OK now its a few observations. Not a good look letting a shop bike go out the door with both tyres near flat. I've always been impressed with how shops give em a good check over first. Give them the benefit of the doubt as Anza were good to me once when I was stranded by a broken wire just as they were closing up for the day. Thanks Guys.
I'd be interested in hearing long term what it's like on tyres. Those 020 tyres lasted well on my VTR. Tyres are the bane of my riding costs.
See ya on the other side
MD

vifferman
7th January 2005, 13:03
That's a big negatory on a stock intercom there, good buddy. But Mrs H and I already had this base covered.How so? I'm interested in an intercom myself. Do you have one, or do you use semaphore?

Stock features? I'm still enjoying the on-road entertainment provided by the trip computer and mult-featured dashboard display. Fuel economy, distance to "stop" once you hit reserve, time, ambient temperature, two trip meters, fuel gauge, engine temperature gauge. The capital of Burkina Faso is Ougadougou and high tide isn't expected there for quite some time, apparently...Hmmm.... the VifFerraRi misses out on the fuel economy, distance to stop and the geographical/physical data. Prolly why the STX costs more.
The fuel gauge is a worry - it goes from 2 bars to flashing in very short order, especially if you brake hard going downhill.

Vibration? Enough to let you know it's going! If the STX1300 is a "gold standard" for smoothness, then a Kawasaki ZRX1200R isn't too far off the pace. I think the smoothness thing was initially the CBR1000's domain, but the GL1800 would probably hold that now. Incidentally, the CBR1000 I rode back in '98 or thereabouts was the smoothest and 'nicest' bike I'd ever ridden, so much so that I didn't like it. No character at all.

The front rebound damping isn't is good as my ex-Kwak but that's starting to get really picky...Is it? I don't think so. Why not provide either suspension that's superb, or (more practically) provide sufficient adjustment that it can be tailored to suit?
I'm a bit disappointed that while the VifFerraRi has reasonable suspension, the front end lacks the damping adjustment that the lower-budget VTR has. It wouldn't have cost much to throw the internals from the CBR600 (f'rinstance) into the forks, as many VFR owners have to resort to doing.

Hitcher
7th January 2005, 13:26
How so? I'm interested in an intercom myself. Do you have one, or do you use semaphore?
We use the Bike-To-Bike system that Pinfolds in Rotorua sells. You have to supply your own walkie talkies. The kit includes helmet headset and mike, a handlebar-mounted push-to-talk switch and enough cable and plugs to join up all the bits.

When it works it does so magnificently at highway speeds of up to 120kmh, even while wearing earplugs. The limiting factor on being able to hear is helmet wind noise.

The kits retail for a for-each price of $120.

Grumpy
7th January 2005, 16:54
Congrats on the new bike. :2thumbsup I'm envious. I took one for a ride up to Wellsford last year and was so impressed that I took the Mrs back the next day for a spin on the back in an attempt to convince her it would look "the bee's knees" in our garage. She loved the ride but not the price tag. I even offered to sell her bike for her to help pay for it.. :doh: That was a while ago and we're getting on better now :whistle:

Awesome bike!!