PDA

View Full Version : WELLINGTON KBers

Griffin
5th June 2008, 09:34
:Oi: I know that this isn't the right place for this thread but noithing seems to be happening for the Wgtn region on the Cheesecutter ride that is happening on the 28th June.

Doesnt that seem a little weird (that the rest of the country is organising something but the capital isn't)? :weird:

I know Im new on here but I would be keen to see something happening in Wgtn for this... anyone else interested? Any suggestions on what route we can ride? Anybody keen to help organise this VERY worthwhile event???

sunhuntin
5th June 2008, 09:36
wellington members put a lot into the welly and taupo rides last year, along with members from hawkes bay. im also pretty sure also rode up for the auckland one.
i *think* some members from wellywood may be joining with the manawatu ride.

Griffin
5th June 2008, 09:40
I have no doubt that there will be Wgtn riders joining in on the ride in 'other' places... but what about having one IN the Wgtn area... Isnt the idea to make this a National event?

Trudes
5th June 2008, 09:42
What do you propose then? Put up some ideas and I'm sure others will join you.:sunny:

Colapop
5th June 2008, 09:45
I helped organise the last one but unfortunately my circumstances are different this time round and I am unable to lend a hand.

My rationale from the last one was to contact as many groups, shops and people as I could to get as many people along as possible. Organise a ride route (or two - last time we left from Sandbar and TSS) and marshals. The Wellington H.O.G. guys and gals were an awesome support. We had absolutely no support at all from the police so marshals who are confident at stopping traffic are great. We also had people contact palimentarians to get some support there. The only thing we weren't allowed to do was to ride onto parliament grounds. A couple of speakers later and "Hey Presto" there was a campaign ride!!

Griffin
5th June 2008, 09:47
What do you propose then? Put up some ideas and I'm sure others will join you.:sunny:

Well thats just it... Im new to this whole thing so I dont know what to propose... obviously a group ride with a start point and significant finish point (Parliament perhaps) but Im looking for some old hand help and ideas on this...

Griffin
5th June 2008, 09:50
:2thumbsup thanks to the mod who sorted out my title... I couldnt work out how to get back into it

James Deuce
5th June 2008, 09:51
:Oi: I know that this isn't the right place for this thread but noithing seems to be happening for the Wgtn region on the Cheesecutter ride that is happening on the 28th June.

Doesnt that seem a little weird (that the rest of the country is organising something but the capital isn't)? :weird:

I know Im new on here but I would be keen to see something happening in Wgtn for this... anyone else interested? Any suggestions on what route we can ride? Anybody keen to help organise this VERY worthwhile event???

We started the ball rolling with a big ride including people from all over but mostly Wellingtonians. We presented petitions and data to Marion Hobbs on the steps of Parliament last year. The rest of the country is catching up to us.

No need to get angry.

Colapop
5th June 2008, 09:51
See above...

ADVERTISING IS THE KEY!! Posters, shops, radio, newspapers - anything you can get.

Incidentally, I didn't organise it - it was a group effort

Griffin
5th June 2008, 10:05
We started the ball rolling with a big ride including people from all over but mostly Wellingtonians. We presented petitions and data to Marion Hobbs on the steps of Parliament last year. The rest of the country is catching up to us.

No need to get angry.

Angry??? :laugh: Nope - not angry... just trying to get ppls attention. It may be that the rest of the country is catching up... and if Wgtn started it then 'well done Wgtn' but shouldnt we also keep the momentum.

To have one uprising and then sit back and let the rest of the country do the same without being a visible part of it just seems a little lacklustre to me.

I say we need to be seen to be keeping the campaign alive or people will think we were a one hit wonder and that were really not too concerned about wire rope barriers at all.

Griffin
5th June 2008, 10:07
ADVERTISING IS THE KEY!! Posters, shops, radio, newspapers - anything you can get.

Incidentally, I didn't organise it - it was a group effort

And we need it to be a group effort this time too... I dont know enough to do it on my own...

James Deuce
5th June 2008, 10:14
Angry??? :laugh: Nope - not angry... just trying to get ppls attention. It may be that the rest of the country is catching up... and if Wgtn started it then 'well done Wgtn' but shouldnt we also keep the momentum.

To have one uprising and then sit back and let the rest of the country do the same without being a visible part of it just seems a little lacklustre to me.

I say we need to be seen to be keeping the campaign alive or people will think we were a one hit wonder and that were really not too concerned about wire rope barriers at all.

That's why it is happening around the rest of the country.

There is a Cheesecutter Campaign forum on this site.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with what has gone before, or of course you could just keep organising your own thing and fragmenting the whole thing just a little bit more.

It needs a consistent planned approach with a mounting body of evidence to present at a variety of levels in local and national Government on an ongoing basis, not a bunch of loud mouthed bikers ranting at people about the same thing on the steps of Parliament. It's been done. It was the initial step.

Mom
5th June 2008, 10:22
It needs a consistent planned approach with a mounting body of evidence to present at a variety of levels in local and national Government on an ongoing basis, not a bunch of loud mouthed bikers ranting at people about the same thing on the steps of Parliament. It's been done. It was the initial step.

I agree! This is a dual purpose ride, initially planned simply as a fundraising effort for Helicopter services. The drive here is for that purpose and to use the opportunity to just raise the CC issue again in the public eye and get some more signatures on the petition. There is absolutely nothing else to be gained by taking it to the steps of Parliament until we have enough signatures on the petition to make something actually change.

What would be good though for some of you good people in Wellington could organise something from there, either a local ride to raise funds for your Westpac Helicopter, or to ride out to meet up with chanceyy's ride.

For me the most important thing is to make this a national thing, I am pushing it to the media as such. The more widespread the event the more likelyhood we have of actually getting noticed!

Griffin
5th June 2008, 11:00
I suggest you familiarise yourself with what has gone before, or of course you could just keep organising your own thing and fragmenting the whole thing just a little bit more.

I have read a fair few of the forums on this issue - there is so much tho that for a new comer its almost impossible to totally catch up on every thing that has happened.

Im not trying to be a loud mouthed biker ranting at anyone... I just thought it would be good to get Wgtn riders to do something local... Destination Parliament was a thought... not an absolute. If standing up and suggesting that we do something local is going to cause people to get their backs up then flag it... Im not out to make enemies, Im just interested in being involved.

Trudes
5th June 2008, 11:08
Why not start small and organise a ride that leaves Wellington to meet up with this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=73011) ride?:niceone:

Maha
5th June 2008, 18:12

I have read the other replies in this thread Griffin so here is my view.
What is happening on June 28th was/is my idea. I first put forward the idea of raising money for the Westpac Helicopter in Auckland and did alot of pm'ing before getting it onto the News Page. The idea to make a Nationwide Event was made within days and also (now this is where it gets confusing to some) to add the Cheesecutter thing. June 28th is not a Cheesecutter protest ride in any form...at all! The CC was added as an awareness/revival (to get it back in the fold) it has died since the protest rides last year and it seems that most dont give a shit about it any longer (everyone wants them gone) so what we have done, and Mom has done a huge amount behind the scene over the last month or so. We have had trouble getting anything done in Southland...but that too seems like has resolved itself. Get in to mate, make it your thing, thier are some really cool people in Welly that will help if you say the word, anything you need? ask me (maha man) or Mom. But remember, this a Rescue Helicopter fund Raiser ride. Period!