PDA

View Full Version : A reminder to people who do not wear gear... or jeans for that matter

Zapf
31st December 2004, 22:26
Site that I came across.... what happens when you skid across the road with little or no gear * warning don't look if you have weak tummy or about to have lunch / dinner *

Link (http://www.carpe-tdm.net/tdm/library/doc52_bloodymess.asp)

yes and me poor sode at home browsing when everyones out. I am sick as a dog... ! Gerrrr.

Wellyman
31st December 2004, 22:38
OUCH!!! thats gotta hurt. allways wear your safety helmets and protective gear ( i learn't that the hard way)

Bonez
1st January 2005, 06:32
Looks like kids taking on more than they could handle. Brings home a point though.

toads
1st January 2005, 07:17
Site that I came across.... what happens when you skid across the road with little or no gear * warning don't look if you have weak tummy or about to have lunch / dinner *

Link (http://www.carpe-tdm.net/tdm/library/doc52_bloodymess.asp)

yes and me poor sode at home browsing when everyones out. I am sick as a dog... ! Gerrrr.

I hope you get better soon Zapf, yes I know the feeling being cooped up inside while others are able to be out and about riding

Sniper
1st January 2005, 07:40
Umm, ouch, that doesnt look healthy.

NC
1st January 2005, 08:28
:sick: Thats not good... :shit:

avgas
1st January 2005, 08:43
yep, spend $$$'s on safety gear my friends, i was wearing all the right gear cept for jeans - so when i had my accident it distroyed all my gear - but shattered my tibia (stupid jeans).
Also check yourself before u get up from an accident, i didnt - only to find (while standing) that i had 3 knee joints instead of 2 :rolleyes:

k14
1st January 2005, 08:57
Dang, that first pic was enough for me to close it. Always have my gear on.

Ghost Lemur
1st January 2005, 09:06
Certainly a good reminder of the importance of good gear.

Mr Skid
1st January 2005, 09:23
Some of those pics made me want to cry, thinking about the on going pain those people would experience. And I am usually a heartless bastard who laughes at other's misfortune.

Without this becoming another leather v cordura thread (been done before a number of times) if anyone has any questions about the finer points of safety gear, KB is a good place to ask. There have been enough bins between everybody here that there is a decent amount of information about what works and what doesn't.

inlinefour
1st January 2005, 09:26
but fortunately I'm a quick learner and will not be doing that again thanks to the help of my spyke/spool/stylmartin/xpeed gear. Mind you for the rider in a low income all this gear did not come cheap :doh:

ching_ching
1st January 2005, 09:51
Hi folks and Happy New Year,

Went for a blat yesterday while the sun was still shining.

Shot through to Taupo first, pulled up in the carpark by the lakefront just down from the Hole in One Golf Challenge. Man, chicks galore, must all be from Auckland, Hamilton and Wellington!! :cool2: Saw 2 sportsbikes go past, both guys wearing helmets... and not much else. One wore a singlet and jeans, the other a t-shirt and shorts, neither had bike boots.
Then took off to Rotorua the back way through Reporora and stopped off at the chip shot there. While woffing down my eggburger saw a Harley with high apehangers go past. Guy was wearing a helmet... and not much else. Pair of jeans and a singlet.
After slashing the lizard in Rotorua, shot back to Taupo to Macs. Saw a sportsbike with a guy in a helmet... and a pair of shorts and a t-shirt no bike boots.
Time once was when I used to scoff at people who didn't wear protective gear while riding. Now I just pray that they don't come to grief whenever I see them ride past. Invest in some decent gear gang. :headbang: :msn-wink:

Spot ya in 05!! :niceone:

Jackrat
1st January 2005, 10:08
We shouldn't need pic's like that but we do anyway huh. :spudwhat:
When I had me big prang I didn't think my gear did a lot,but then looking at the smashed in helmet an destroyed leathers after I got home from hospital I changed my mind real fast.
Apart from my helmet all my current gear was bought second hand and cost around $500 all up.
That's bugger all to pay since I've had my main jacket for about 10 years,boots for about the same.I did buy another pair of leather pants last year because my old ones shrunk <_< .
Actualy I bought a jacket,pants,gloves an two helmets(I didn't want his socks or undies)for $250 an gave the jacket,gloves an helmets to my father in law.They were all in as new condition off Trade me.
A lot of people get into bikes with all the best intentsions but the traffic or weather gets the better of them so there's a heap of good gear out there if you keep your eyes open.

Mongoose
1st January 2005, 10:08
Hi folks and Happy New Year,

Went for a blat yesterday while the sun was still shining.

Time once was when I used to scoff at people who didn't wear protective gear while riding. Now I just pray that they don't come to grief whenever I see them ride past. Invest in some decent gear gang. :headbang: :msn-wink:

Spot ya in 05!! :niceone:

yep, them "tough" and "cool" guys sure make you shudder, of course its NOT going to happen to them, is it? :(

aff-man
1st January 2005, 10:42
I wear jeans when riding but that is just because i couldn't be bothered lugging my armour around. I DO wear good gloves, armoured synthetic / reinforced leather jacket and some nice style martins that have armour plating here and there. (New sigma boots coming soon yeehaaaaaaaa). But when riding for the sake of riding it's always leathers and armour. :niceone:

I take the risk with me legs and jeans when commuting but well i am not riding an r6 (like guy in the pics) for a FIRST bike.

Mongoose
1st January 2005, 10:45
I take the risk with me legs and jeans when commuting but well i am not riding an r6 (like guy in the pics) for a FIRST bike.

I think the car that hits you would have trouble decerning that. :yeah:

Sniper
1st January 2005, 10:46
I think seeing that may also give us incentive to walk up to people riding without gear and give them a slap around the head. Its also them that make our registrations, ACC and things soar through the roof

Storm
1st January 2005, 11:17
Amen to that. I spent $750 all up on brand new armoured jacket and pants and ist my insurance. Its nice to have insurance on paper, but as you're sliding down the road on your arse, or , heaven forbid, your scone, thats the only thing between you and the cheese grater effect.

Mr Skid
1st January 2005, 11:22
I wear jeans when riding but that is just because i couldn't be bothered lugging my armour around. I DO wear good gloves, armoured synthetic / reinforced leather jacket and some nice style martins that have armour plating here and there. (New sigma boots coming soon yeehaaaaaaaa). But when riding for the sake of riding it's always leathers and armour. :niceone:

I used to wear jeans for commuting, but gave up after seeing pics of Stone Chucker's knee after a 50km/h bin. To be honest I think you could be wearing shorts on the bike for all the good denim jeans are going to do.

I agree that it's bloody annoying having to carry gear around with you, especially when your at uni and don't have anywhere to dump it for the day, but I think if it gets to the point it's that incovenient that I don't want to wear proper gear I'll start catching the bus.

I'm wonder what sorta strange looks I'll get this semester turning up to lectures in leathers and race boots :wacko:

marty
1st January 2005, 11:34
seen it all before. usually on dead guys. doesn't stop me wearing shorts and t-shirt on the TL though.

but hey - at least i don't do stupid runners from the police and put other people at risk.

Indiana_Jones
1st January 2005, 11:42
Yummy, Yeah I'm saving for a jacket atm, good thing my bike isn't going :)

-Indy

Jackrat
1st January 2005, 12:29
I think seeing that may also give us incentive to walk up to people riding without gear and give them a slap around the head. Its also them that make our registrations, ACC and things soar through the roof

The only time I've ever said anything to somebody like that was in OZ.
Was sitting at the lights on me bike when a guy pulled up next to me on another bike.He had on the good gear but his passenger who was a young girl about 10 years old was wearing shorts,tee shirt,jandles and an open face that was about 4 sizes to big.He gave me a nod an asked how it was going,I just said 'better for me than for your passenger you arsehole".He invited me to pullover on the other side of the lights but when I did stop he buggered off. :rolleyes:
It doesn't bother me what others do for themselfs,we all have different ways of doing things and different expectations I guess.But doing that to a kid just makes my skin crawl.

Sniper
1st January 2005, 12:46
Thats fair enough JR. I would have done and said the same thing. But the last moron I saw was some dork on the way to Kiakoura last Monday when the sun was out. Doing 120+ on an R1 in bloody shirt and shorts?? I mean, was he dropped on his head as a baby???

Motu
1st January 2005, 13:43
I say it everytime one of these threads turns up...guess I might say it again - I've been down the road wearing all sorts of inappropriate gear,without a mark on me.Did get some gravel rash on my arse when my Wranglers wore through,but I was trapped under the bike sitting on the road with a Transit bumper at my back doing 50kph.Sliding down the road in cord Levi's with the rivets burning my hips and I nearly wore through my leather belt...but not a mark on the cords...or me.Maybe I've lived a charmed life and my guardian angel works longer hours than everyone else's,but I've crashed many times in my youth with no injuries from clothing failure.

I'm older and wiser now,at replacement costs my gear would be worth 3 times the cost of the bike I ride,I have summer,winter,on road and off road,and I have gone more for impact protection than abrasion resistance,I never get on a bike without all my gear for the conditions,although I still ride trials with just boots,gloves and a horse helmet - and I've had more spills riding a trials bike than any other riding I've done put together...and gosh,no injuries????

MSTRS
1st January 2005, 13:48
Thats fair enough JR. I would have done and said the same thing. But the last moron I saw was some dork on the way to Kiakoura last Monday when the sun was out. Doing 120+ on an R1 in bloody shirt and shorts?? I mean, was he dropped on his head as a baby???
Aaron lied to me about the NiftyFifty?? :killingme :no:

Wellyman
1st January 2005, 13:51
I always wear helmet and gloves atleast but i learn't the hard way it is also very wise to wear knee pads.

Bonez
1st January 2005, 13:51
I still ride trials with just boots,gloves and a horse helmet Ohhhhh the mental images!! My head hurts!! :brick:

Gunner
1st January 2005, 14:07
Seen a guy riding a cruiser typre bike round wellington and the hutt a few times now with no helmet! just some sunglasses, he was wearing jeans i think and a leather vest. Not sure what the deal is with him and why he hasnt been pulled up by the cops yet.

About 6months ago coming back from the takas saw a guy riding a bike with a pilion and all he had on was a hoodie instead of a helmet(like thats gonna protect him)

MSTRS
1st January 2005, 14:14
Seen a guy riding a cruiser typre bike round wellington and the hutt a few times now with no helmet! just some sunglasses, he was wearing jeans i think and a leather vest. Not sure what the deal is with him and why he hasnt been pulled up by the cops yet.

One like that on a Harley in HB. Says he has a doctor's certificate stating can't wear a helmet as 'gives him a headache' - WTF :doobey: :banana:

Gunner
1st January 2005, 14:26
One like that on a Harley in HB. Says he has a doctor's certificate stating can't wear a helmet as 'gives him a headache' - WTF :doobey: :banana:

He will have more than a headache if he falls off, he will prob end up being a vege

Blakamin
1st January 2005, 15:22
Nice pics.... and I'd feel sorry for ya if i wasnt in bed when you posted them.... with a fecked back.... still in bed....thank god for a wireless router and a laptop

NC
1st January 2005, 15:23
I always wear helmet and gloves atleast but i learn't the hard way it is also very wise to wear knee pads.
Knee pads are handy on the BMX too :mellow:

:weep:

Zapf
1st January 2005, 15:41
I learnt my lesson on my 1st week on a scooter in Thailand, I low sided the scooter on some sand while trying to turn into a drive way quickly after over taking another scooter. While it was just a 20~30km off, it I had grazes on both knee in 4 places, grazed the palm of my hand and elbow. I was a very memorable experience after letting the blood clot (1 hour) then riding to the hospital and then they decided to scrub down all the clot again to make sure it was clean and clear of grit, and without the help of drugs boy does it hurt.

And after seeing what a 50~60km low side does to Paparazzi’s textile (Armored) pants, I have now ordered a set of leathers. I think its better that I get to spend time working and paying for the gear than sitting at home or hospital nursing myself.

I know it'll give me a better chance if I do have an off and even I know if its not 100%, the more in my favour the better.

Peace and long :scooter:

Grumpy
1st January 2005, 16:09
My first summer here in the Bay I was surprised at the number of of riders out there on their bikes in shorts and singlets. I know it can get bloody hot here but you would hope that common sense would prevail. If you like the feeling of the cool breeze on your skin then buy a fucking convertible.

Motu
1st January 2005, 17:01
He will have more than a headache if he falls off, he will prob end up being a vege

I rode from age 16 to 20 not wearing a helmet (not compulsory in the days of yore),fell off many times and it has been comfirmed by all I meet that I am a complete idiot - however,this was not caused by not wearing a helmet.

Bonez
1st January 2005, 17:06
He will have more than a headache if he falls off, he will prob end up being a vegeYou obviously missed the fact that he wasn't wearing any clothes while trailing..........

Kickaha
3rd January 2005, 10:38

I bought a set of those for the trailrides and while riding up the hill with gorse bushes hammering my legs thought how much more enjoyable it would have been if I'd remembered to wear them :o

scumdog
3rd January 2005, 10:44

Obviously a poser out to give HD owners a bad name. :whistle:

He also never rides in rain or at anything over 70kph as the first bumble-bee to the head would have him wearing a helmet quick-smart.

simo
3rd January 2005, 13:06
I am in WA at the moment, and you should see the protective gear the locals on the Gixxers, R1's and TL's wear -NONE!!!!!, Jandals really cool, singlets optional, mind you 35 degree temperatures don't help, saw some old plonkers riding their plonkers, in full protective kit, maybe thats why they got to be old plonkers!!!

MSTRS
3rd January 2005, 14:01
Obviously a poser out to give HD owners a bad name. :whistle:

He also never rides in rain or at anything over 70kph as the first bumble-bee to the head would have him wearing a helmet quick-smart.
You are right maestro....but I thought it was only HD riders that had the bad name :Pokey: :killingme :innocent:

Zapf
3rd January 2005, 14:10
I am in WA at the moment, and you should see the protective gear the locals on the Gixxers, R1's and TL's wear -NONE!!!!!, Jandals really cool, singlets optional, mind you 35 degree temperatures don't help, saw some old plonkers riding their plonkers, in full protective kit, maybe thats why they got to be old plonkers!!!

I am sure if they looked, a coolmax under layer with some sort of mesh jacket won't be so bad. And just think about the burn from the sun you'll get after a day of riding like that!

**R1**
3rd January 2005, 19:34
Aaron lied to me about the NiftyFifty?? :killingme :no:
Hey WTF??? :msn-wink: na man not me. on a ride i have full leathers SM boots arai helmet the whole nine yards. me and many many mates have learnt the hard way. i dont even go down to the shops without jaket, gloves, helmet, and at least jeans and boots. it would probly even almost be safe if i didnt have to wheelie all the god dam time :msn-wink: :msn-wink:

rG-150
3rd January 2005, 19:52

About 6months ago coming back from the takas saw a guy riding a bike with a pilion and all he had on was a hoodie instead of a helmet(like thats gonna protect him)

yeah theres a dude around levin on yellow harley that doesnt wear a helmet and a couple weeks ago coming home from welly, heading south from pram, i saw a pillion on a suzuki with no helmet :crazy:

aff-man
3rd January 2005, 21:56
I think the car that hits you would have trouble decerning that. :yeah:

Dude if i gets hit by a car it won't matter what i'm wearing. All the armour/leather i have won't save me from a blunt impact.

aff-man
3rd January 2005, 22:00
I used to wear jeans for commuting, but gave up after seeing pics of Stone Chucker's knee after a 50km/h bin. To be honest I think you could be wearing shorts on the bike for all the good denim jeans are going to do.

I agree that it's bloody annoying having to carry gear around with you, especially when your at uni and don't have anywhere to dump it for the day, but I think if it gets to the point it's that incovenient that I don't want to wear proper gear I'll start catching the bus.

I'm wonder what sorta strange looks I'll get this semester turning up to lectures in leathers and race boots :wacko:

I have crashed twice once at about 50 and the other at about 30 in jeans. Legs got a little grazing but nothing to serious. I have turned up to tech in full gear but that was only when it was wet/raining. Gear at tech for the whole day is a bitch!!!

But at the end of the day as i said before. If your willing to run the risks so be it.I don't wear sneaker (learnt that a while ago) or just a thing jumper or snow gloves. Everything is proper except for the pants.

Note to self. Practice landing on upper torso :shake:

Zapf
3rd January 2005, 22:12
Dude if i gets hit by a car it won't matter what i'm wearing. All the armour/leather i have won't save me from a blunt impact.

ermm note to self... invent armor for blunt impact before hitting car :soon:

pillion
3rd January 2005, 22:12
I've had a good look at Frosty's gear after the crash on Paekok hill yesterday- he had full leathers, a back protector, quality gloves and armour plated boots - of which I am certain without these he would have more than just a sore shoulder right now!!! the damage to his leathers / boots and one glove will definitely have broken at least one bone if not several. The back protector saved his back from being broken. There is white paint on the back of his leathers right where the back protector is.The only white paint around is from the guardrail post - thank you Transit NZ for putting in guard rails!!! i am no expert but it was good enuf to possible save his life. :doctor:

aff-man
3rd January 2005, 22:19
I've had a good look at Frosty's gear after the crash on Paekok hill yesterday- he had full leathers, a back protector, quality gloves and armour plated boots - of which I am certain without these he would have more than just a sore shoulder right now!!! the damage to his leathers / boots and one glove will definitely have broken at least one bone if not several. The back protector saved his back from being broken. There is white paint on the back of his leathers right where the back protector is.The only white paint around is from the guardrail post - thank you Transit NZ for putting in guard rails!!! i am no expert but it was good enuf to possible save his life. :doctor:

Yip if i go on rides i pile as much armour and leather as i can on. Synthetics sort of work as well. Mine saved my knee anyway but i can't wait untill my leathers are all ready :doobey: :doobey: