PDA

View Full Version : Wellington to charge $$ for parking motorcycles

Radar
7th June 2008, 19:14
On National Radio yesterday I heard that there are plans to charge for parking a bike in Wellington. I did not hear much of the radio panel discussion. Has anyone seen a newspaper article on this?

James Deuce
7th June 2008, 19:22
You should do a search mate. There's a LOT of stuff about this particular subject. This subject comes up all the time. We will simply put plan "A" into action.

Arrive in the city at 6am and occupy every park in town for days on end until the turkeys see that bike parking isn't about revenue. It's about reducing inner city congestion.

Bullitt
7th June 2008, 21:13
Im sure theres a way but I cant see how it could be operated anyway.

Cant do pay and display as theres nowhere to put the ticket.
Cant do allocated spaces with a parking meter cause youd need twice as much space.

Radar
8th June 2008, 06:50
This subject comes up all the time.

Yeah I know, but I thought there was some recent news about a decision made by the Wgtn city council.

As Bullitt says I don't know how it could work.

Pedrostt500
8th June 2008, 08:14
We need more bike parking space in Wellington as it is, because there is always some WANKER in a SUV, that thinks his SUV is a motorbike, also if the council provided fixings so bikes can be securly chained by the bike owner, so the other type of WANKER, who thinks what is yours is his to take for free, cant nick it as easily.

Nasty
8th June 2008, 09:41
We need more bike parking space in Wellington as it is, because there is always some WANKER in a SUV, that thinks his SUV is a motorbike, also if the council provided fixings so bikes can be securly chained by the bike owner, so the other type of WANKER, who thinks what is yours is his to take for free, cant nick it as easily.

And moaning here is gonna do sometyhing about it. Just precious.

Write to the council - there are links on their website there is a whole section on the website called e-petitions .. read it and use it ... save the bitching and moaning and use the energy you seem to have for something efficient.

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/haveyoursay/e-petitions/

henry
8th June 2008, 11:16
They are also thinking of charging you to park in park and ride car parks. Way to encourage public transport usage!

I hope none of you voted for that bitch.

+1 Jim2

Disco Dan
8th June 2008, 12:22
I imagine we will be seeing this subject carrying increasing momentum in coming months - It would make sense to start making bike parking paid sooner... more and more people buying motorbikes/scooters. Think how much more resistance there would be towards the government/councils etc in say 1-2 years time. Petrol increases = more bikes gives an increasing income in the area. Would prob only offest the reduction in car parking revenue though.

Nasty
8th June 2008, 17:40
Interesting enough is that some of the parking buildings in Wellington have started reducing their daily rates.

Coyote
8th June 2008, 18:02
And moaning here is gonna do sometyhing about it. Just precious.

Write to the council - there are links on their website there is a whole section on the website called e-petitions .. read it and use it ... save the bitching and moaning and use the energy you seem to have for something efficient.

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/haveyoursay/e-petitions/
That's a bit of a bitch innit? :bleh:

young1
8th June 2008, 21:27
You should do a search mate. There's a LOT of stuff about this particular subject. This subject comes up all the time. We will simply put plan "A" into action.

Arrive in the city at 6am and occupy every park in town for days on end until the turkeys see that bike parking isn't about revenue. It's about reducing inner city congestion.

That would be interesting to see and quite legal!

2Slow50
9th June 2008, 16:28
If the were to introduce pay and display, there is an easy way of getting around it...

All you need is to get your missus/wife to sew you up a nice bag with OUT OF ORDER printed on it... take it along with you, when you need to park simply place bag over the pay and display :cool:

problem solved.

Ocean1
9th June 2008, 17:27
bike parking isn't about revenue. It's about reducing inner city congestion.

A quick check of increasing bike numbers and what that does for potential revenue might shed some light on that. Since when was any city council about anything other than revenue?

Oh, and how they can dispose of such in the least effective way possible...

alanzs
9th June 2008, 17:30
If the were to introduce pay and display, there is an easy way of getting around it...

All you need is to get your missus/wife to sew you up a nice bag with OUT OF ORDER printed on it... take it along with you, when you need to park simply place bag over the pay and display :cool:

problem solved.

Vivid markers work as well... Don't need any help from anyone either...:doh: