PDA

View Full Version : Leather Riding Gear

Jantar
1st January 2005, 19:53
Why is it that motorcycle shops appear to have stopped stocking a decent range of leather riding gear? When we recently tried to find a two piece riding suit for my wife we ended up visiting 8 different bike shops. Only 2 had plain black riding gear, and neither had anything in my wife's size. (she is rather tall & slim.) Most tried to sell us fabric gear, and one Christchurch shop even tried to sell coloured road racing gear.

We eventually found reasonably priced leather riding gear at a leather FASHION SHOP!!! :argh:

However congratualtions to Eric Woods in Christchurch and McIvor & Veitch in Dunedin for at least having some gear in stock, even if it was two sizes to large.

Gixxer 4 ever
1st January 2005, 20:08
Why is it that motorcycle shops appear to have stopped stocking a decent range of leather riding gear? .
A problem experienced by all bike riders. :brick: We had Mary's gear made at Jet leathers but they are now gone. I got mine off Trademe for a very good price. You just have to look around. Our local Suzuki shop had a give away brochure on their counter that Mary grabbed and it had good priced leathers in it. i gave it to a mate but if you want to know more just PM me and I will call him and get the contact details.

Jantar
1st January 2005, 20:26
A problem experienced by all bike riders. :brick: We had Mary's gear made at Jet leathers but they are now gone. I got mine off Trademe for a very good price. You just have to look around. Our local Suzuki shop had a give away brochure on their counter that Mary grabbed and it had good priced leathers in it. i gave it to a mate but if you want to know more just PM me and I will call him and get the contact details.

Thanks for that Gixxer, We did buy a set from the Fashion Shop (I think it was called "Leather Image"), so she is all set now. Up till then she had been using an old one piece suit of mine that I had made when I weighed about 20 kg less than I do now. But one piece suits and females just don't go together somehow.

sels1
1st January 2005, 20:27
For you Mainlanders - there is a secondhand dealer/pawnshop in Invercargill I was browsing in recently - they stock quite a range of new and used leather jackets and pants. I think the new stuff was imported from Pakistan.
just checked Yellow Pages - its The Pawn Shop, 71 Yarrow St
ph214 4696

Gixxer 4 ever
1st January 2005, 20:32
Thanks for that Gixxer, We did buy a set from the Fashion Shop (I think it was called "Leather Image"), so she is all set now. Up till then she had been using an old one piece suit of mine that I had made when I weighed about 20 kg less than I do now. But one piece suits and females just don't go together somehow.
No problem. Others might read this thread so go to
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=7209
Leathers offered here for all on KB.
Hmmm one piece....bushes on the road side..... not all bad :laugh: :bleh:

Velox
1st January 2005, 21:36
I had the same prob - there's just not much to look at in the shops and even if there is it'll be the wrong size. I recommend Leda leathers (another thread in the 'Biker Chicks' bit) - he makes them to fit and to your design. And not too expensive.

warren35
1st January 2005, 21:39
Mate i know what your talking about as i have been looking for a long time now for a sports jacket in black.It may also be that im after something abit different to the normal thunder jacket.Scored some good pants off trade me tonight so at least my arse is now covered.

Balrog
1st January 2005, 23:37
http://www.nzleather.com/bikesuits.html

bought a set of bike leather pants from these guys for $250.00 brand new.
They make all kinds of leather stuff as well as bike gear.

Sensei
1st January 2005, 23:44
I think no one stock's it as with all the new stuff around now people don't want to buy leather any more Get's heavy when wet doesn't breath that well
I still have some pant's but wear my Corda now .
SENSEI

Jantar
1st January 2005, 23:54
I think no one stock's it as with all the new stuff around now people don't want to buy leather any more Get's heavy when wet doesn't breath that well
I still have some pant's but wear my Corda now .
SENSEI

This is exactly what most of the salespeople in the bikeshops tried to tell us. However leather is a natural product that does breathe quite well. It does get heavy when wet, but it takes one hell of a lot of water before it starts to leak through.

I also believe that many of the replys in this thread, and comments made in other threads shows that leather does still have a great following. Perhaps this question is worth a thread of its own?

scumdog
2nd January 2005, 02:31
Yeah, I like leather myself (and tassles in Cordura somehow just don't look right!) - plus leather never seems to get that 'grubby' look that man-made fabric does.

It's not waterproof but thats what the Warehouse waterproof leggings an a Drisabone coat are for.

Bonez
2nd January 2005, 04:36
It's not waterproof but thats what the Warehouse waterproof leggings an a Drisabone coat are for.Tornado and Para Rubber yellows
do the trick too. But most bigbadmotherfuckingbikies/zoomeverwereracerwannabeis seem to be proud to wear them. Ruins the image poor things.

lewis_walker
2nd January 2005, 04:53
This is exactly what most of the salespeople in the bikeshops tried to tell us. However leather is a natural product that does breathe quite well. It does get heavy when wet, but it takes one hell of a lot of water before it starts to leak through.

I also believe that many of the replys in this thread, and comments made in other threads shows that leather does still have a great following. Perhaps this question is worth a thread of its own?

Leather certainly does have a following, but I think it is exactly that - a following, i.e. more of a faith / style / personal preference thing.

I have fully synthetic gear, as I ride 30 miles each way to and from work each day. After a few days of doing that through the rain, I think leather gear would be absolutely saturated. Well-fitting synthetic stuff will keep you dry as a bone, and is relatively light-weight. Admittedly it doesn't look as cool, and the harley riders probably scoff. But - hey.

moko
2nd January 2005, 05:04
We eventually found reasonably priced leather riding gear at a leather FASHION SHOP!!! :argh:
However congratualtions to Eric Woods in Christchurch and McIvor & Veitch in Dunedin for at least having some gear in stock, even if it was two sizes to large.

Bear in mind that your fashion shop stuff is probably designed for looks rather than protection as decent bike gear will have.bike gear might look the same but anything half-decent will have been destruction-tested and designed so the stitching dosnt rip apart if it slides down the road,to be comfortable while seated on a bike e.t.c. Also there`s leather and there`s leather,buy a cheap leather jacket and that`s exactly what you`ll get,it`ll be thinner,less water-resistant and not so hard-wearing as the stuff you`ll pay top money for.
I make do with pvc-lined pants most of the time Bonez,only thing I dont like is that if you walk around with them on,even for a few minutes,they get very sweaty.As a recent convert to synthetic gear I dont think I`ll going back to leather,my synthetic jacket is great 90% of the time just chucked over whatever I`m wearing,leather needs either something more waterproof over the top or a couple of extra layers underneath when the weather`s not too good.

Jantar
2nd January 2005, 05:35
Bear in mind that your fashion shop stuff is probably designed for looks rather than protection as decent bike gear will have.

No, I can assure you that it is genuine motorcycle gear, with heavy duty sacrificial pads etc. The owner of the shop stocks it for the simple reason that the motorbike shops just don't want to stock it. It is reasonably priced, but don't read that as another way of saying "cheap". It isn't cheap.

As for being rain proof, I have used leather gear for over 20 years, and I have almost always been drier than those who use the modern synthetic gear. I do treat all my leather with beeswax at least every 2 months or 2000km of riding, whichever comes first. Leather does slowly absorb water, and there will reach a point where some dampness will come through. I find that it takes about 3 hours of solid rain before that happens. (faster on that cheaper gear you talk about).

James Deuce
2nd January 2005, 06:58
I have no issue buying fabric or leather off the rack.

NC
2nd January 2005, 07:12
The leathers I got had been sitting on the rack for almost 2 years. Got them cheep and they fit great... Yay to being fat and medium hight :D

James Deuce
2nd January 2005, 07:43
The leathers I got had been sitting on the rack for almost 2 years. Got them cheep and they fit great... Yay to being fat and medium hight :D

lol - you filled in my post for me :)

FzerozeroT
2nd January 2005, 07:45
Jet Leathers is still around, just no retail outlet.

Bonez
2nd January 2005, 08:05
lol - you filled in my post for me :)Us lanky, taller skinny folk are just so disadvantaged ;). My leather jacket is designed for those a bit, hmm, shall we say generously proportioned around the tummy.

vifferman
2nd January 2005, 08:20
We've had threads similar to this one a time or three before. Leather gives the best protection in a spill, due to better abrasion resistance than anything (including kevlar!) It can be waterproofed, either using something waxy, or even with silicon, or by putting cheapish nylon/PVC suits over the top.
However, I like many people on KB, use textile or a mixture of textile and leather, due to convenience. FWIW, I have a textile Teknic jacket, with kevlar patches on the elbows and shoulders, and leather overlay on the sleeves and shoulders due to holes made during a few low-speed and short-distance asphalt surfing episodes. I also wear leather pants, which are quite hot in summer, but which have stood up to the aforementioned episodes very well - a couple of scuffs fixed with shoe polish and some stitching that required replacing.
This brings up another point - not all leathers are the same. Many have inferior stitching (cotton or nylon rahter than kevlar) and aren't double stitched, and the zips aren't strong enough (YKK or similar is best). And if any patches on knees, bum, etc. aren't stitched on top of the other leather but are sewed next to it, if the seams fail, there's no protection. This inludes "top" brands like Teknic, which look kewl, but don't stand up to slides.

750Y
2nd January 2005, 08:35
... This brings up another point - not all leathers are the same. Many have inferior stitching (cotton or nylon rahter than kevlar) and aren't double stitched, and the zips aren't strong enough (YKK or similar is best). .. This inludes "top" brands like Teknic, which look kewl, but don't stand up to slides.

yeah, i won't touch technics gear, it's a shame really because it's usually just the stitching that causes their gear to fail...

NC
2nd January 2005, 08:50
This brings up another point - not all leathers are the same. Many have inferior stitching (cotton or nylon rahter than kevlar) and aren't double stitched, and the zips aren't strong enough (YKK or similar is best). And if any patches on knees, bum, etc. aren't stitched on top of the other leather but are sewed next to it, if the seams fail, there's no protection. This inludes "top" brands like Teknic, which look kewl, but don't stand up to slides.
I understand why they put plastic zips on leathers...but they are shit.
And plastic melts when your sliding...so either way, your going to get burned from the friction in a slide from plastic or a metal zipper...

Bonez
2nd January 2005, 09:29
And plastic melts when your sliding...so either way, your going to get burned from the friction in a slide from plastic or a metal zipper...[OT]Speaking of plastic. How's that fairing coming on?

NC
2nd January 2005, 11:31
[OT]Speaking of plastic. How's that fairing coming on?
I dunno what to do with it, might just buy a aftermarket set for the whole bike for 800 :spudwhat:

Sensei
2nd January 2005, 15:27
Stick another 17k in front of that & you'll have a GSXR :Pokey:
SENSEI

NC
2nd January 2005, 15:33
Stick another 17k in front of that & you'll have a GSXR :Pokey:
SENSEI
:brick: Need money!!!

:blink:

Zapf
2nd January 2005, 17:19
And plastic melts when your sliding...so either way, your going to get burned from the friction in a slide from plastic or a metal zipper...

I think thats why on better leather suits, there is a leather backing behind the zip.

Wellyman
2nd January 2005, 17:24
I have seen plenty of spool stuff. I was looking at a spool jacket that i quite liked. it was very warm also.

Racey Rider
2nd January 2005, 20:57
I've found my one peice leathers to be a bit restrictive in the legs when trying to move around on my bike, (ie. get the knee down).
Is there a easy way to stretch them at all? I was thinking of wearing them soaking wet. Would that work? Would they shrink again onced dried? Anyone know?

Jackrat
2nd January 2005, 22:13
I have two leather jackets and one pair of leather pants.I wash them about twice a year with saddle soap and water proof them with Nik Wax.
They hold the water out well but if it looks like it's going to really hose down I wear a Line7 one piece sailing suit over the leathers.
I had a sheep skin flying jacket years ago and came off on an oil slick one day while wearing it.I was doing around 70-80 Kms and the flying jacket acted like a big brake pad.I only slid about 10metes max.No damage to me up it customised the jacket a fair bit.
It wasn't water proof but it was REAL warm.
The same jackets today can be had from england but cost around $800NZ.

Bonez
3rd January 2005, 06:19
The same jackets today can be had from england but cost around $800NZ. Or one can cruise around Hawkes Bay, pick up skins off the roadside and staple them together ;).

Kickaha
3rd January 2005, 09:34
You could have gone to Plains Leather in Chch,they make the Naturalwear brand and have a maunfacturing/shop in Sydenham and will alter to suit

I used their Leathers for about 18 years and still have the same jacket and pants,if treated with the right product it is waterproof,although I've normally used a oversuit as it keeps you warmer

I've thought about the cordura suits and would like to try one,but I don't see much advantage in them.

soundbeltfarm
3rd January 2005, 19:12
crikey is technic stitching crap?
i got their gloves so hope they dont fall apart when i spill.
what is a good brand of leather wear to buy of the racks.

James Deuce
3rd January 2005, 19:18
I was wearing my Teknic Thunder's (they're gloves) when I had my accident and they are unmarked. I'll repeat that. Unmarked.

Everyone's experience is different due to the different circumstances of their accident. The Dri Rider mesh gloves in my tank bag got melted somehow. Weird.

Blakamin
3rd January 2005, 20:08
after seeing Frosty's boots and leathers and bike and accident site today, my next purchase is leathers and decent boots..... he'd have no ankles or skin on various torso bits if he wasn't wearing full race gear!

[edit]"its a motorcycle... a bike is something you pedal" NCIS final episode 2004 with a 999

vifferman
3rd January 2005, 20:18
crikey is technic stitching crap?
i got their gloves so hope they dont fall apart when i spill.
what is a good brand of leather wear to buy of the racks. I think their gloves are OK, but I was told that some of the suits (the cheaper ones?) are not very well made.

I've found my one peice leathers to be a bit restrictive in the legs when trying to move around on my bike, (ie. get the knee down).
Is there a easy way to stretch them at all? I was thinking of wearing them soaking wet. Would that work? Would they shrink again onced dried? Anyone know? They will stretch more if wet, but could shrink back to where they were unless you dry them on your body.
Don't they have stretch panels above the knees and lower back?
You could have them altered - I had both my jacket and pants altered by Kerrie at MSW. Had some Knox CE armour put in the pants, which meant I had to get the lower legs let out a bit to give enuff room for the armour. Also had some leather panels sewn on the jacket.

DEATH_INC.
3rd January 2005, 20:21
This inludes "top" brands like Teknic, which look kewl, but don't stand up to slides.
My Technics suit has been thoroughly crash tested on a few occasions and is still going strong,admittedly with a few broken bits but not bad considering I've had it since bofore motomail moved from mt eden....

Kickaha
3rd January 2005, 21:27
yeah, i won't touch technics gear, it's a shame really because it's usually just the stitching that causes their gear to fail...

I saw this first hand when Pig fell off the sidecar at Teretonga,after he got back to the pits and we checked his leathers every seam that'd slid across the deck had the stitching abraded away and the leathers were coming apart

toads
4th January 2005, 07:52
after seeing Frosty's boots and leathers and bike and accident site today, my next purchase is leathers and decent boots..... he'd have no ankles or skin on various torso bits if he wasn't wearing full race gear!

[edit]"its a motorcycle... a bike is something you pedal" NCIS final episode 2004 with a 999

this is why I'm keen to get some leather gear when I find some that A) fits me
B) is affordable
my main problem is I'm very short and at this point heavier than I want to be, as my weight tends to fluctuate quite a bit leather is far more unforgiving than synthetic. I'll probably have to opt for getting some made when I win lotto!

2_SL0
4th January 2005, 16:59
I have a question which is more important, a jacket or pants. I.E if I was going to buy one then the other which should be the first. When peeps have binned have they tended to slid on ass or back?

Oh Im talking leather if you didnt realise. I have everything else but all is in synthetic.

Blakamin
4th January 2005, 17:31
I have a question which is more important, a jacket or pants. I.E if I was going to buy one then the other which should be the first. When peeps have binned have they tended to slid on ass or back?

Oh Im talking leather if you didnt realise. I have everything else but all is in synthetic.
good question..... I'd go to pants first coz then I could get the knee down :rolleyes:
and the fact the pants I've got arent the best....

Bonez
4th January 2005, 18:59
good question..... I'd go to pants first coz then I could get the knee down :rolleyes: r ya ganna make a proposal?
:whistle:

crazylittleshit
4th January 2005, 19:06
for resonable priced leathers go to leather direct on cuba st (wellington) and If it is the wrong size they make you a suit.

Blakamin
4th January 2005, 19:11
r ya ganna make a proposal?
:whistle:
I propose to get rid of my chicken strips!!!!

Suzi Q
4th January 2005, 19:13
I have full fabric - lighter, waterproof, don't take days to dry, removeable linings, excellent prtection, paid heaps!!!
I have also bought a Dianese 2 piece suit, leather - for track days. Got it for $300 at Cash Converters. A couple of abrasions but nothing serious. It is too big for me, but that is better than being too small. I have been told to eat more to grow into it, but perhaps not! The scary thing is my hubby can wear it - damn!
I have worn the jacket a few times, and find it a little more convenient for short rides - only 1 zip whereas the codura has 1 zip and 2 sets of domes, takes half an hour to get ready to go. But of course the leather has no pockets for stuff and the codura has plenty.
There are pros and cons for both, I prefer fabric. :2thumbsup

Hitcher
4th January 2005, 19:20
Mrs H and I got our leathers made-to-measure at Jet Leathers when they had the shop in Hastings. Top gear, top service.

Now they've "seen the light", closed the shop and put their business on the Interweb. They only appear to be interested in selling leather vests for Harley riders to pin their badges. Tragic...

Good leather needs to be MTM. I don't imagine that Mr Tecknics or Mr Spidi would make one-piece squid suits to fit the fuller-figured gentleman...

Blakamin
4th January 2005, 19:38
Mrs H and I got our leathers made-to-measure at Jet Leathers when they had the shop in Hastings. Top gear, top service.

Now they've "seen the light", closed the shop and put their business on the Interweb. They only appear to be interested in selling leather vests for Harley riders to pin their badges. Tragic...

Good leather needs to be MTM. I don't imagine that Mr Tecknics or Mr Spidi would make one-piece squid suits to fit the fuller-figured gentleman...
when did they close????? I used to walk passed it to work when I lived up there... they had the weirdest hours....
was gunna go and browse next time I went to visit my sister :(

Hitcher
4th January 2005, 20:03
when did they close?????
Early last year (2004) I seem to recall.

inlinefour
17th January 2005, 03:34
Why is it that motorcycle shops appear to have stopped stocking a decent range of leather riding gear? When we recently tried to find a two piece riding suit for my wife we ended up visiting 8 different bike shops. Only 2 had plain black riding gear, and neither had anything in my wife's size. (she is rather tall & slim.) Most tried to sell us fabric gear, and one Christchurch shop even tried to sell coloured road racing gear.

Modern riding gear is better than leather? :mellow: