PDA

View Full Version : Motard upgrade

Bulldog
8th June 2008, 09:02
Howdy all, been a while since last postage.

I've had a DRZ400SM for almost a year now and did a few mods to it including full stainless yoshi, 3x3 airbox mod amd james dean jet kit. FOr anyone who has one do those mods! If you really love your DRZ but want more power buy the FCR carb kit mod from thumpertalk.com approx $560 USD but has everything including instructions on how to do it.

I was at those crossroads last week and was going to spend approx $2500 on the DRZ's engine, fcr carb, big bore, hot cams and ron hamp valves and springs. It was either this or upgrade to something bigger.

I chose the latter. Love the DRZ and is what I believe to be the best, most fun commuter there is.

I bought a ktm 525sx and am in the process of putting all the road electrics on it and registering etc. I found one that had single digit hours on it (based on ktm dude checking it over) and low and behold we found it had a brand new $2500 slipper clutch amongst other goodies on it!

Power and handling and weight etc is like night and day! Just amazing!

Anyone after a really nice sorted DRZ head to coleman's and ask about my drz as there's about $1700 worth of bits on it including edge tail tidy etc.

blueblade
9th June 2008, 14:14
Been looking at that 525 at Colemans for a while now. Thats a real bargain for such a tidy bike, and a slipper clutch too .....great score !!!!

Bulldog
9th June 2008, 15:02
Thanks mate....it is very tidy and I'm wrapped. The proof will be in the pudding as to how it is as a commuter / weekend warrior tho.

I'm definately a happy man.

Aero165
17th June 2008, 19:58
How'd you go getting this bike rego'd? I assume it would be near on impossible! I've just bought a 525 EXC which I plan on motarding then putting SMR stickers on it:devil2:

surfchick
17th June 2008, 21:18
drool for both those babies...
i'm thinking of selling the duc to get one of these - do you reckon the 400 would be viable to switch between commuter and dirt bike days?...
just swtich ze wheels? or townie parts to nice to wreck in sand>>?

Vetran
19th June 2008, 12:14
I see this bike up on trademe now, whats goin on buldog?

Bulldog
19th June 2008, 12:22
I'm pregnant and it's no good for my baby :baby: :2thumbsup

I'm softing out now and am finding it too extreme for commuting on. It's seriously fast and is simply overkill. If I were going to take it on regular track days and go for blasts on the weekend I would keep it but as it is I simply commute to work and around Auckland CBD on it during the day and it's like taking a m1 tank to a knife fight.

If you have plans on doing the weekend riding thing I'd definately tell you to buy this as it's a complete weapon, just too much for me commuting each day.

If anyone is interested let me know as I've got some movement in price.

glice
19th June 2008, 12:35
I'd love one of those. did you ever run the 400 off road?

Bulldog
19th June 2008, 12:39
no. I always found wheels and tyres too expensive to purchase and I believe it would wreck the bike a whole lot quicker. Fun tho ;)

glice
19th June 2008, 12:46
yea it is a bit harsh, but that way you could have one bike that does everything

Morcs
19th June 2008, 15:10
DRZs rock. best commuter ever!

Bulldog
19th June 2008, 17:28
After my ride home I'm not convinced yet. Watch this space. :wacko:

Aero165
19th June 2008, 21:57
Addictive eh :bleh:

Bulldog
19th June 2008, 22:41
I think I'm going to have to keep it. There's a few things I want to do to it but it's all $$ :)

boomer
19th June 2008, 23:00
DRZs rock. best commuter ever!

bullshit.. my gixxer thou is teh best commuter EVA!

it growls, it wheelies on command, its black and menacing and goes like shit of a shovel... and last but not least.,.. MAKES ME LOOK GOOD !

the DRZ's are sloooooooooooooow

Bulldog
19th June 2008, 23:01
I know that feeling...used to commute the western motorway on an 04 blade.

Morcs
20th June 2008, 09:51
bullshit.. my gixxer thou is teh best commuter EVA!

it growls, it wheelies on command, its black and menacing and goes like shit of a shovel... and last but not least.,.. MAKES ME LOOK GOOD !

the DRZ's are sloooooooooooooow

Nah you are just slow :whistle: