PDA

View Full Version : Learner License 70km/h limit?

CB ARGH
8th June 2008, 21:28
Would I get away with going 100 on a learner's License? As long as I'm not doing stupid shit and the weather and road conditions suit the speed. Some say that cops would let it fly... others don't. Did a search, didn't turn up with much...

What's your say?

Duke girl
8th June 2008, 21:39
Got to ask yourself whether or not it would be worth doing 100 regardless of how well u were riding, as why blow your chances so early into wanting to become a fully licence rider. Yes some cops probably would turn a blind eye to it but then again there are those who wouldnt.

Maha
8th June 2008, 21:40
This has been done before but lets do it again.
70kph is dangerous (IMO) when the traffic flow is 100 (or there abouts)
Other road users dont give a shit about ya, and they get a little miffed at being held up for 30 seconds or so. Ride at the speed that you feel comfortable with. When I was on my learners, I never had the yellow tag attached to the bike (i am not saying this is the right thing to do) but I didnt give any cause for a cop to pull me over. The yellow tag is like a flashing light. There are consequences for not having the yellow tag on however, but only if something goes wrong or you are pulled over. Up to you really, but I say go with the flow.

Ragingrob
8th June 2008, 21:44
Ride at 100kph on the motorway and open road just like everybody else does. You would need to encounter a bitch of a cop to be pulled over.

_Shrek_
8th June 2008, 21:58
I pulled up not so long ago at a coofee shop another biker pulled in behind me that i had past not long before we started talkin as you do & as we were talkin about bikes, speeds etc... i found that this guy was on his learners & he found out the hard way doing only 70km on the open road he now rides at 100km but he has his L sticker attached to the inside of his number plate & it can only be noticed when standing next to bike
he has been pulled over three times at road blocks checking licenses breath test & has been aloud to carry on without getting a ticket coz he still had his L sticker on "well done" :Police:

CookMySock
9th June 2008, 08:41
I was told by an officer 'o teh law, "70k learner speed-limit has NEVER been enforced. However, if you be an arse on the road they just might choose to enforce it in your case."

So, yes, ride at 90-100k as long as you are not wobbling around like a noob and making other common mistakes too. The posted speed limit is a UPPER speed limit not a LOWER speed limit.

DB

MSTRS
9th June 2008, 08:48
Depends on whether you prefer the very slight risk of a ticket, or the very real risk of being run off the road....

sunhuntin
9th June 2008, 08:50
ride at the speed you feel safest, and id leave the l plate on. its too big a gamble otherwise.

i did some 20-30thou k with the l plate, riding at 100k, and never got pulled up once... even when being followed by a cop down south. so long as you ride safely, and try not to exceed the limit by too much, you should be fine.

FruitLooPs
9th June 2008, 08:55
Yeah been riding my RG for years without its L tag never did me any probs, even being pulled up at midnight for a chat with the fuzz (on my way to work, stopped me for being loud 300m short of my work explained myself and my noisy smokey wee bike and no worries). Rode to queenstown on it and to greymouth shouldn't do you any harm going 100 :)

firefighter
9th June 2008, 08:59
yeah just do it, none of my mates were ever pinged for it, in the states you can ride a bike as big as you like at the speed limit and they dont exactly have anymore crashes etc than we do over here so on ya little 250 and go for it youll be fine.....we are way too over-protective over here, half the time they don't even wear helmets and their road toll for bikes isn't even that bad (and the speed limit is 120km!) - in fact I think it's better than here, so that just proves were submitting to acc's agenda of wrapping new zealand up in cotton wool, and taking the fun away and putting rules on rules for the sake of rules, so wind that little engine up to 100!

yod
9th June 2008, 09:04
i would say: depends on the cop

but you'd have to be a right wanker to enforce that law - it's fookin crazy

if you get pulled over just say you sped up a little as you were concerned about being squashed by the 45 ton logging truck that was 2.4cm off your arse for the last hour

firefighter
9th June 2008, 09:15
i would say: depends on the cop

but you'd have to be a right wanker to enforce that law - it's fookin crazy

if you get pulled over just say you sped up a little as you were concerned about being squashed by the 45 ton logging truck that was 2.4cm off your arse for the last hour

Or concerned at how close the cop was following you so you tried to open the distance up for your safety lol

MSTRS
9th June 2008, 09:20
Or concerned at how close the cop was following you so you tried to open the distance up for your safety lol

Of course, bad luck would dictate it was the ginga c**t...

Dakara
9th June 2008, 09:53
I forget where, but I read under the upcoming changes that the 70kmph rule is going to be removed for all the reasons listed above.

homer
9th June 2008, 10:06
lets say your going at 100km
and then youll find your still holding up traffic as you need to do 110km to actually catch up traffic.

the point is now youll have no licence as youll be 40 km over .

James Deuce
9th June 2008, 10:20
I forget where, but I read under the upcoming changes that the 70kmph rule is going to be removed for all the reasons listed above.
The LTNZ proposal I read was to increase the L speed limit to 90 km/hr and enforce it.

The 70kph speed was set when the speed limit was 80 kph.

sunhuntin
9th June 2008, 10:25
and then youll find your still holding up traffic as you need to do 110km to actually catch up traffic.

i would pull over and let the held up traffic go by, and then pull out. that would be the safest option for new riders.

i remember my first open road experience... to turakina and back at 70k. damn near got run over more than once. after that, i left town doing 100k, no more, no less.

TimeOut
9th June 2008, 10:26

With this in the pipeline they should be more lenient.

Horse
9th June 2008, 12:24

Wrong. If you're riding at 100km/h on your L plate you can be done for riding in breach of the conditions of your licence. $400 fine, 25 demerits - but it's NOT a speeding ticket.

If you're riding at 115km/h on your L plate you can be done for riding in breach of the conditions of your licence AND 15km/h over the speed limit.

For the entire period of my learners (which ended 2 weeks ago) I rode at 100km/h on the open road, and with an L plate on. Only thing that changed in going to a 6R is I have now taken the L plate off.

BiK3RChiK
9th June 2008, 14:30
I ride at 100km/hr on the open road on my learners and just last week took the L-plate off. I have been tail-gated, cut-in on, verbally abused and had a beer bottle thrown out of a loser boy-racer car by a bunch of yobbo's at me all with my L-plate on. I quickly learnt to ride at 100km/hr on the open road but persevered with the L-plate thinking I was doing the right thing. The L-plate just seems to be a loser magnet, so off it came... I started to feel like I should be riding with a couple of 6-shooters holstered on the bike somewhere! If I get pulled over by the fuzz, I'll be explaining all this to them, but don't plan to be on my learners for long anyway.

Tank
9th June 2008, 14:44
I raised this with the LTSA when I was talking to them about my licence.

They said that they didnt like people on "L's" riding on the open rode too much (esp. Motorways) because of the dangers that this causes.

When I told them I "open road it" a lot they offered me the chance to sit my full immediately (I was on L-Plates and had been riding about 6 weeks).

So I got dispensation for my larger bike and sat my full about a month later (I wanted to get some riding time in before trying to sit my full).

So I never even had to have the restricted period (choice!).

If you are in the same boat - it may pay to call LTSA and discuss it with them.

BTW - this is only about 7 months ago should still be current.

Tank
9th June 2008, 14:47
I was told by an officer 'o teh law, "70k learner speed-limit has NEVER been enforced.

I believe that its generally got a blind eye turned to it, but to say its "NEVER been enforced" is just incorrect. People on here have been done for it previously.

Jdogg
9th June 2008, 15:25
Tank ,

Just to clarify- they just offered to let you go from your learners to your full? The reason I ask is after I saw your post I gave LTSA a call and after speaking to the manager, there is apparently no way that this would happen , Now I am not saying you weren't offered this ,but I would really keen to hear a bit more on how you achieved this, as I have the same issues as you 100k to from work , me too big for a 250cc etc

Thanks mate

Ragingrob
9th June 2008, 15:29
Tank ,

Just to clarify- they just offered to let you go from your learners to your full? The reason I ask is after I saw your post I gave LTSA a call and after speaking to the manager, there is apparently no way that this would happen , Now I am not saying you weren't offered this ,but I would really keen to hear a bit more on how you achieved this, as I have the same issues as you 100k to from work , me too big for a 250cc etc

Thanks mate

Check out http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=59445

Tank explains his process fully here.

Tank
9th June 2008, 15:41
Check out http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=59445

Tank explains his process fully here.

Dammmm - thats a fine post.

and yep - ended up passing and moving to my full after about 3 months from sitting my basic handling

Jdogg
9th June 2008, 15:45
Thanks Guys, Sounds like I will need to go on "find someone in LTSA who knows something" fishing expedition...I will let you know how I get on

Many Thanks

J

Ragingrob
9th June 2008, 15:52
Thanks Guys, Sounds like I will need to go on "find someone in LTSA who knows something" fishing expedition...I will let you know how I get on

Many Thanks

J

Just head to a licensing centre, fill out a DL4 form with why you need to be exempt from the law blah blah, and then hand it back, within 2 weeks you'll hear back from them with a yay or nay.

:2thumbsup

Tank
9th June 2008, 15:52

Many Thanks

J

Just go get the dispensation form from the AA . Fill it in (use the info I posted to help with info), and they will write back.

In their letter you will have a name and contact number (ChCh from memory) - then just give her a call and be nice. Cover your concerns about riding at 70 for long distances in the conversation with her.

The team that do dispensations is only 4 staff - and they try to help however they can.

Best of luck.

CB ARGH
9th June 2008, 15:54

That is correct ;)

Thanks guys and gals!

Ragingrob
9th June 2008, 15:56
That is correct ;)

Thanks guys and gals!

Yeah don't worry about it at all, they can't expect people to cruise along the open road on a little bike at 70kph can they!

How's the bike search coming along?

Jdogg
9th June 2008, 15:59
sounds like a plan ....I will fill out said form tomorrow and await the (hopefully) good outcome....be nice to step into the big bike after puttn about on the 250....

anywho I will keep you informed

Cheers

J

CB ARGH
9th June 2008, 16:15
Yeah don't worry about it at all, they can't expect people to cruise along the open road on a little bike at 70kph can they!

How's the bike search coming along?

It's going alright. I have my eyes set upon a CBR250RR... The only downpoint is that the new regulations about to happen some time this year would restrict me from riding it as it would be too powerful. aaah

Tank
9th June 2008, 16:19
It's going alright. I have my eyes set upon a CBR250RR... The only downpoint is that the new regulations about to happen some time this year would restrict me from riding it as it would be too powerful. aaah

No - that wont be right.

The law will roll in slowly. If you get the bike now and have been riding it - it will not 'all of a sudden' become illegal.

Honest guv.

Ragingrob
9th June 2008, 16:20

I don't think that they will be not allowed. Only 2-stroke 250s are too powerful in the 250 range.

CB ARGH
9th June 2008, 16:27
I don't think that they will be not allowed. Only 2-stroke 250s are too powerful in the 250 range.

WOOHOO

I'd jump up and down... but I just ate. :zzzz:

That's good to know.

rphenix
9th June 2008, 16:28

Well I can say both myself and my wife both rode as if we had our full while on learners and it was fine. Ive owned a bike since I was 9 so noway I could stand 70km on the open road.

Don't drive like a dick, and have some confidence (i.e. go to a driving course if that what you need) theres no reason to pull you over is there?

Dont muck around and move from your learner to restricted as soon as your able :)

CB ARGH
9th June 2008, 16:32
Dont muck around and move from your learner to restricted as soon as your able :)

Exactly the thought that I've got in my mind! It'd be good to throw away the stupid L plate. :jerry: