PDA

View Full Version : Leather or Fabric

Jantar
2nd January 2005, 00:04
So which do you prefer and why?

Jantar
2nd January 2005, 00:08
I personally prefer leather. It is waterproof, breathes well, looks good, and offers maximum protection. On a recent ride through 2 hours of west coast rain those riders who were in leather arrived reasonably dry, while those in gortex and similar gear were almost all soaked through.

Mr Skid
2nd January 2005, 01:47

I prefer rubber or latex personally.

Hasn't this topic been done to death before? Leather is more durable but is cold and hot, and cordura craps out after a bin, but keeps you warm and cool. Is there really anything more to add to the discussion? :unsure:

moko
2nd January 2005, 02:30
I wear both,got a lightweight leather Jacket that I wear in Summer,until recently was leather all year round.Recently picked myself up a Yoko fabric jacket.These are made in Finland and go for £400 new,got mine for 50 from a guy giving up biking and it`s the best bit of kit I`ve ever had,warm,waterproof and lightweight armour where it counts.These jackets are acknowledged as the best you can get in the U.k. and with good reason,when it`s below zero I stick my leather on underneath and no cold at all.I`ve always been pretty slack(being "old school")about protection but now I`ve finally got some body armour will be up-rating my kit.Yoko has zip-out liner as well so probably stick with it in Summer as well and keep the leather for underneath in winter.

Sensei
2nd January 2005, 15:32
those in gortex and similar gear were almost all soaked through.[/QUOTE]
?? It most have been Some cheap stuff . Mine is not the best & has never leaked or been wet after riding in rain
SENSEI

Sensei
2nd January 2005, 15:32
Haven't seen any Leather with Armour in it as yet is there any out there being made ?? SENSEI :blink:

Bonez
2nd January 2005, 15:43
Combo of all the above. Oh and will have fries with it thanks.

James Deuce
2nd January 2005, 15:52
For sport riding, day trips and commuting I'll wear leather because the chance of an accident in those conditions seems to be higher for me.

For touring I prefer a modern Cordura/Kevlar fabric suit. I have yet to find any of the above waterproof. I have tried Orina, Spyke, and Spool, and of all those the Orina had the best weather protection. However it had foam rather than hard armour with a kevlar outer patch, so I'm not quite convinced that it would stand up to a highway speed accident very well.

James Deuce
2nd January 2005, 15:54
I prefer rubber or latex personally.

Hasn't this topic been done to death before? Leather is more durable but is cold and hot, and cordura craps out after a bin, but keeps you warm and cool. Is there really anything more to add to the discussion? :unsure:

So be nice and give Jantar some help!

Jantar - try doing a site search and you'll find a truck load of subjective literature on this site in regard to the leather vs fabric question.

You could just take the teen god approach and wear a 20 year old helmet, jeans with the knees worn out, a hoodie, trainers, and some skiing gloves. Or no gloves at all.

Hitcher
2nd January 2005, 19:15
I hate these "black or white" surveys. I wear either leather or cordura depending largely on the weather. I prefer leather when it's fine and warm. When it's cold or wet, then it's time for the Gore-tex!

Wonko
2nd January 2005, 20:23
I wear my PVC pants and singlet, or my full rubber gimp outfit. Makes me feel worthy of riding my bike :banana:

Hitcher
2nd January 2005, 20:27
I wear my PVC pants and singlet, or my full rubber gimp outfit. Makes me feel worthy of riding my bike
Please note the now missing apostrophes...

Mongoose
2nd January 2005, 20:27
those in gortex and similar gear were almost all soaked through.
?? It most have been Some cheap stuff . Mine is not the best & has never leaked or been wet after riding in rain
SENSEI[/QUOTE]

You obviously have not riden in the West Coast rain, it soaks ducks right thru!! :whistle:

Sensei
2nd January 2005, 21:17
Oh it piss's down here my friend . Our little mountain has alot to do with that I feel SENSEI :sly:

Mongoose
2nd January 2005, 21:30
Oh it piss's down here my friend . Our little mountain has alot to do with that I feel SENSEI :sly:

Compared to the West coast, you get some mist, you gotta ride this stuff to know what its like. They measure the rain by the foot, not the mm.

mini_hooks_
2nd January 2005, 21:42
i like leather becaues it gives you more protection and generally lasts longer,
and is water proof...which always comes in handy when riding in the wet.
but on the other hand fabric is alot easier to move around in..its a tough decision... :unsure:

Zapf
2nd January 2005, 21:46
I am wearing Fabric at the moment, but I am investing in leathers and mixing them. E.g wearing coolmax / thermals under leathers, and then goretex over them when it rains. that should give me the best of protection for the road and weather... just don't ask me how long its to put it all on ... / or off :o

mini_hooks_
2nd January 2005, 21:58
I am wearing Fabric at the moment, but I am investing in leathers and mixing them. E.g wearing coolmax / thermals under leathers, and then goretex over them when it rains. that should give me the best of protection for the road and weather... just don't ask me how long its to put it all on ... / or off :o

been there done that...believe me you dont wanna do that it took me half an hour to get every thing off and it doesnt leave you much room to move around in!! but yes it does keep you well protected...

inlinefour
17th January 2005, 03:51

Had leather tear a couple of times on good gear that was in great nick :bash:

PhilBilly
17th January 2005, 08:06
I wear me leathers regardless of weather, I've seen some mad people with shorts and a Tshirt riding through wellington city, i could never do that.

bear
17th January 2005, 08:11
For sport riding, day trips and commuting I'll wear leather because the chance of an accident in those conditions seems to be higher for me.

For touring I prefer a modern Cordura/Kevlar fabric suit. I have yet to find any of the above waterproof. I have tried Orina, Spyke, and Spool, and of all those the Orina had the best weather protection. However it had foam rather than hard armour with a kevlar outer patch, so I'm not quite convinced that it would stand up to a highway speed accident very well.

On a recent ride I was on, the other fella had an Orina and got soaked, I was wearing RJays and was bone dry.

James Deuce
17th January 2005, 08:24
On a recent ride I was on, the other fella had an Orina and got soaked, I was wearing RJays and was bone dry.
Probably comes down to manufacturing and care and maintenance.

mikey
26th January 2005, 18:38
i like to ride naked

Sparky Bills
26th January 2005, 18:43
LEATHER LEATHER LEATHER!!!!

Krusti
26th January 2005, 18:50
We wear leather jacket with oilskin vest.

loosebruce
26th January 2005, 18:54
next time i decide to bounce down the road at close to the 200kph mark, i'll make sure it's only leather i'm wearing, does the trick , cant trust that gortex/kevlar stuff enough, stick to what you know.

avgas
26th January 2005, 19:08
Haven't seen any Leather with Armour in it as yet is there any out there being made ?? SENSEI :blink:
mine has armour in the shoulders, elbows and knees.
But i changed it all for soft leather as it was easier to use that way.
Mind due my leathers look about 10+years old, dunno how many owners

Zapf
26th January 2005, 19:08
been there done that...believe me you dont wanna do that it took me half an hour to get every thing off and it doesnt leave you much room to move around in!! but yes it does keep you well protected...

yea I am getting that...

e.g

put on coolmax underlay
put on back protector vest
put on coolmax trouser
put on socks over trouser
slide both foot into leather suit
pull them up and jump around
and then be like a monkey and wriggle shoulders...
zip up suit....

put on ear plugs
take off glasses
put on helmet
put on glasses

put on inner glove
put on glove.... woop found the bike key in the glove... put it in..
put on outer glove...

jump on bike.... woops and put the helmet strap thru the hoop.

But after seeing the aftermath of Rhy's condura pants after a slow lowside... I don't really want to be in my conduras if I had a faster bin....

So... next purchase.... BMW 90% water proof leather with goretex insert for winter.... (wish)

opps... and you got it... I forgot to put on my boots! :P

mikey
26th January 2005, 19:19
I LIKE TO RIDE NAKID

avgas
26th January 2005, 19:22
i like to ride naked
gives you a feeling of power between your legs, till you crash...and if your lucky you'll loose all feeling

Zapf
26th January 2005, 19:40
gives you a feeling of power between your legs, till you crash...and if your lucky you'll loose all feeling

just keep your legs crossed :2thumbsup

Redstar
26th January 2005, 20:09
I don't think leather is waterproof at all? on a cow maybe but its pourous and after a few hours of rain it becomes a soddon weight.
but it probably offers the best protection. my jacket has built in armour and is the best crash outfit I have but if its raining I cover it with wets and sweat like a pig. I have an armorred cordex suit but thats hot too.
someday they will invent the ultimate combination that contains all the best properties in one suit.

dhunt
26th January 2005, 22:25
I wear armored leathers, and if it is raining wear water proof jacket and pants over the top which keeps me 100% dry :)

Waylander
26th January 2005, 22:32
got to be leathers nothin says harcorebiker like black leather

Wolf
26th January 2005, 22:56
I got "Dririder" Jacket and leggings because they fitted me well (bloody-near tailored) and were no too dear. They've served me pretty well (haven't taken a spill in them, tho) - after about two years they started to soak through but I hung 'em up on the porch and went over them with the silicone spray.

My gloves and boots are leather - tho' in winter I wear synthetic mittens to stop my fingers freezing.

Would like to get some leathers for around town.

250learna
30th April 2005, 00:44
I would have said leather a while ago, but then Martin @ Motomart sold me a spyke cordura jacket and pants.

They look great

Its more comfy than any leather i have tried on

More pockets than i can shake a stick at

Duble zip on jacket (no wind geting in at all)

Its got 3 layers in the jacket and 2 in pants (removable inners)

I dont even feel the cold at night @110kph without the 2 inners for the jacket.

Waterproof

what more can you want? :love:

RDJ
30th April 2005, 01:21
LEATHER LEATHER LEATHER!!!!

Leather jacket, but I cannot shake off my upbringing sufficiently to ever dare to wear leather trousers... so, Draggin Jeans with knee armor. If it rains I get wet, who cares. Inside a fullface Arai the rest of me can be wet and don't care. (Mind you this is the tropics)

Legolas
30th April 2005, 07:54
Motorcycle gear has come on in leaps and bounds since I started biking in the 70’s. I started with a leather jacket and normal Levis jeans (the type you had to sit in the bath to shrink). If it rained you got wet. You dried out eventually. I do like a bit of comfort these days though. Most of the time these days I wear a cordura jacket and the trousers of a two-piece leather suit. Long haul rides I take a waterproof pair of trousers to wear over the top. For uncharacteristically hot British weather or posing, I wear a one-piece Spidi leather suit. :ride:

Brian d marge
21st May 2005, 03:03
[QUOTE=Mr Skid]I prefer rubber or latex personally.

MMMMMnnnnnn latex ....RRRRRuubbbbeerr .......milky milky no wot I mean landlord :msn-wink:

and then theres nursee oh how nursee love the feel of Ruuubbbwer

Name and address withheld

zooter
21st May 2005, 18:33
Coming thru a "hurricane" I got soaked through despite waterproof goretex jacket over leathers, I think it must have been going in down my neck. I stopped and got out some dry socks and plastic bags to keep the dry socks dry inside my sodden boots and carried on a lot happier. If I haven't lashed out on new boots before then I'll be donning the bags a lot quicker!

Yarg
21st May 2005, 18:54
Leather pants , Codurua Jacket.

zadok
21st May 2005, 19:08
'Dragon' with zip out liner. Inexpensive, but warm and never lets in water.

Marty :ride:

pritch
21st May 2005, 23:20

I have leather and codura, both with armour.
All the Euro manufacturers do leather with armour.
Of course you have to sell the bike to pay for it...

Lou Girardin
22nd May 2005, 17:54

Spool. Clover. Dainese (if you can find it). Triumph. Harley. Spidi from about $800