PDA

View Full Version : Ruapuna does Str8 Jacket

Str8 Jacket
9th June 2008, 21:45
Well here goes.... Me and koba rock on up to Dangerous and Rashika's place at about 10 pm on Fri night. AJ and Luke were asleep already. I get a great sleep on Fri night and am awake bright and early on Sat morn. We all get to the track and semi set up before its even light. I start getting nervous and have to make the long trek to the loo every 5 mins. Koba was running around sorting my bike out while I smoked as many ciggarettes as I could. The Spada (Jimmy) turns up so I have 2 pit bitches. The bike failed scrutineering the first time so I should have fired them but they begged and pleaded to stay on as my pit bitches. The bike passed 2nd time round. Sweet.
Righto so 10 mins practice rolls round. I get out on the track feeling like a right noob! I was so nervous I was almost shaking, lol. I had an awful time out and wasnt used to the higher gearing/ larger sprocket that we had put on the bike. The bike only had power when the throttle was wide open and it had none anywhere else. It was shaking like hell and I couldnt relax.
When I came in I had some time on my own and thought about it a bit.... I had some encouraging and helpful words from dangerous and others so I started feeling a bit happier.
1st race was a 6 lapper and I went out at the end of the group for warm up. I had an OK warm up lap and had sorted out the gearing in my head. The 6 laps went fast. I was relaxed and keeping the power on. I bet AJ and finished the race with a huge smile! :D
By then the weather was turning to crap and dark clouds and wind had arrived. They got teh 50 gp done and eventually BoB 1 hour race was starting. I was feeling a little cocky.....
Went out on the track took a breathe and got my body position sorted. Opened the throttle and I was off. Yeehaa! Then I got to the next corner and for some weird reason I sorted if let go of the throttle a wee bit?! Next thing I was exiting the corner, lent over anmd I opened the throttle but there was nothing but a bluuuuurp noise and feel so I dropped down a gear and for some stupid reason suddenly opened the throttle right up. Next thing my bike goes down rolling my left foot down with it. I came down pretty hard and it hurt but I turned around and there was some poor bastard about to run over me, doh! I slid away from him and stopped. I thought that I was OK and tried to get up to see if I could start teh bike up. My foot hurt to much and I couldnt so I went of to the side. My bike had slid really far but was sweet. Only a broken clutch lever :D
I got quite sore and couldnt move so an ambulance came and took me to the pits. They wanted to take me to the hospital but then everyone wouldve had to have waited until another arrived before they could start racing. I wasnt that sore so I thought id be fine. Went to rthe hospital a bit later and I have a fractured "some bone on my foot". I was really pissed of at myself, especially as it was my own damn fault, grr! But I had a really good time in Christchurch.
I have sooo many people to tahnk!
Dangerous and Rashika - Thanks spooo much for your hospitality and your general running of BoB. You guy's rock and it really was great to meet you both! :niceone:
Skunk and Skunk COntrol for looking after me and my bike and for sorting my gas!
Trudii and Nige for letting me have the bed. And also for stopping, along withh Sully when I crashed to see if I was ok!! :hug:
Speedygirl for her food and car ;)
koba and Jimmy for being awesome pit bitches. And all the rest of teh Welly crew (except AJ).
I had a blast and now I have to do it next year. Cant let teh track win, eh?! :niceone:

Pussy
9th June 2008, 21:59
What a bummer, Hels! Wishing you a speedy recovery :niceone:

gav
9th June 2008, 22:05
Unlucky about the crash mate, but then again didn't your bike throw some else down the road on Sunday in spectacular fashion? :shifty:
Hope to see you all next year!

ajturbo
9th June 2008, 22:08
Unlucky about the crash mate, but then again didn't your bike throw some else down the road on Sunday in spectacular fashion? :shifty:
yer... her boyfriend!..lol

got em both..

Str8 Jacket
9th June 2008, 22:09

Yep, ya sure did. It happended right in front of me on the bloody last lap too! :bash: He was all good though. Got up straight away and still no damage :D

Im happy that I didnt blow it up!

merv
9th June 2008, 22:11
Great experience huh! Sorry to hear about your injury but heal quick and stay keen :2thumbsup

Trudes
9th June 2008, 22:42
Poor Helsy bellsy.:(
I thought Sambo looked a bit dirtier when I wheeled him into the light just now. So he bit Malcolm too? Well, I've parked him next to Pamela so she can show him just what a naughty boy he is!:devil2:
Heal up chick :doctor: Let me know when you want your dirty bike back.

quallman1234
9th June 2008, 23:08
Gotta hate the nervousness waiting to race eh!
Yikes!. Sounds like fun untill... its always when you just start feeling confident isn't it?
Glad your somewhat alright!, You still at work or do you get time off? (you could pull a Doug and take 8 weeks off paid)
Cheers for taking that crap down for me, i owe you/koba a beer or 10
(and im old enough to buy you one as well, go me!)

Str8 Jacket
10th June 2008, 06:53
You still at work or do you get time off? (you could pull a Doug and take 8 weeks off paid)

Im off to work now actually. I would love to take a day or two off as im quite sore all over (stoopid muscles) but I have only just started a new job and they let me have last Fri and Monday off work so I had better go in!

Nasty
10th June 2008, 07:19
Heal well Hels ... sounds like you had both a good time and then the crappy one .. so it was an almost complete weekend. ;)

TonyB
10th June 2008, 07:25
I got quite sore and couldnt move so an ambulance came and took me to the pits. Thats not what you told me!! (I was the flaggie who ran over to see if you were all right) "I'll be fine" you said! You were all pale and shaking- not good. I had a feeling the guys at Start/Finish didn't even know you were there, it looked like they were gonna let the race go and a whole hour is a long time to be sitting in the freezing cold. It was pretty obvious you weren't going to walk back to the pits!

Deano
10th June 2008, 07:26
Woohoo go Hel's !!

Buddha#81
10th June 2008, 07:35
(I was the flaggie who ran over to see if you were all right) "I'll be fine" you said! You were all pale and shaking- not good. I had a feeling the guys at Start/Finish didn't even know you were there

So you obviously left you station with no radio.........Court Mashal that man.:Police: You were going to start a flaggie up rising.......:no:

TonyB
10th June 2008, 07:49
So you obviously left you station with no radio.........Court Mashal that man.:Police: You were going to start a flaggie up rising.......:no:Come on man, I'm a pro! I had my radio with me, it was me who called the ambo down to her

F5 Dave
10th June 2008, 09:38
Well the next day Mal had a drama getting the bike running properly/starting & I suggested cleaning the carb pilot jet. Sure enough there was crud in it. That could have been a bunch of the issue with it not running well off full throttle.

I try to run the floatbowl empty at the end of day racing, or alternatively drain the carb a bit by lying it on both sides. Premix can tend to solidify if left for a while. Any time it doesn't start right up or hesitates then check that jet.

ajturbo
10th June 2008, 09:59
Well the next day Mal had a drama getting the bike running properly/starting & I suggested cleaning the carb pilot jet. Sure enough there was crud in it. That could have been a bunch of the issue with it not running well off full throttle.

I try to run the floatbowl empty at the end of day racing, or alternatively drain the carb a bit by lying it on both sides. Premix can tend to solidify if left for a while. Any time it doesn't start right up or hesitates then check that jet.
or in luke's case.... check that the wires are JOINED!

Str8 Jacket
10th June 2008, 17:53
I wrote this ride report after just having got back from the Hutt hospital.... I had to get of the ferry and go straight there as my cast was put on wrong and was so tight that my poor wee toes had turned into tomatoes, they were so swollen :( I was given more pain killers and was away with the fairies when I wrote this garbled report. I didnt say anything I wanted to, doh!
I really like the track and cant wait to get another go at it! :niceone:

Thats not what you told me!! (I was the flaggie who ran over to see if you were all right) "I'll be fine" you said! You were all pale and shaking- not good. I had a feeling the guys at Start/Finish didn't even know you were there, it looked like they were gonna let the race go and a whole hour is a long time to be sitting in the freezing cold. It was pretty obvious you weren't going to walk back to the pits!

Hmmm, yeah you're right! I actually thought that the pain would go away and that I was OK, LOL!

Come on man, I'm a pro! I had my radio with me, it was me who called the ambo down to her
Tony is correct. In fact he was yelling for one over the radio!!

Woot! Something to blame my crash on!....
Nah but seriously I know that you are correct but most riders will know that you just cant expect to jump down a gear while still cranked over and then twist the throttle wide open without expecting something bad to happen!

merv
10th June 2008, 18:28
Good on ya Hels. Its like cheese, good things take time; a bit more practice and you'll be the one to beat.

Slingshot
10th June 2008, 19:07
I like cheese.

Str8 Jacket
10th June 2008, 19:20
I like cheese.

You are a cheese! :bleh:

Trudes
10th June 2008, 19:22
You are a cheese! :bleh:

'The Unknown Cheese'
You know, the one that has sat at the back of the fridge so long it's grown fur and it's only just recognisable as cheese

merv
10th June 2008, 19:48
Cripes now look what I started. How cheesy :gob:

Skunk
10th June 2008, 20:51
A nice blue for me thanks. Not cold blue... room temperature blue.

With veins.

Trudes
10th June 2008, 21:20
sick man, just sick!

Suzi Q
10th June 2008, 22:06

I have a photo of the aftermath of that crash!! I also have a photo of another wellie crasher - here they are

Trudes
10th June 2008, 22:11
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Stop the carnage!!!! haha, it looks like all us Welly folks did!!

Slingshot
10th June 2008, 22:42
That last pic looks like #27 is having a lie down while #27 is riding past...must have made it tough for the lap counters :)

A nice blue for me thanks. Not cold blue... room temperature blue.

With veins. And a purple head?

F5 Dave
11th June 2008, 09:40
Yes, I recognise that break-dancing chap:bye: Read my race report from the sunday races.:cold:
If you look to the left of middle pic you can see the precise moment the clip-on got munted.

Sully was riding my 100 with a 1 stuck in the end to make 271. If you squint. Sorry lapscorers.

Skunk
11th June 2008, 09:56
Better effort than the other 24 (241) out there... was only 241 on one side (the wrong side) and the front if you looked closely.

koba
12th June 2008, 10:35

Cheers.
We had emptied the tank a while ago and all the crap from the bottom had come though (as it does) Cleaned the filter but didn't think to look further!

Another good bit of knowledge to tuck away.

The bike ran much better with the jet sorted but was still very stuttery and dropped out of the power between gears - it was a real bitch to ride and the "hell on wheels" suited well but as you say the carb fix, camber and ergonomic improvements shopld turn it in to a lovley bike.

One effect of the KTM (or whatever) chamber on it is that the power is really very high in the revs so it is probably spinning way faster than the wee motor should and the vibration is really taxing on the body...

koba
12th June 2008, 10:36
I have a photo of the aftermath of that crash!!

I was sliding towards the only big mud puddle on the track thinking "oh, not the mud!"

F5 Dave
12th June 2008, 11:15
Yeah, see how it carburettes at the slipway, it was very cold so may have been lean somewhere.

Bit concerned about the vibration. It has the balance shaft disconnected (in it's past as a roadbike it was parked up as that bearing was making noise until Paul? a mechanic bought it to commute on removed the shaft & the noise went away) but it never really vibrated enough to worry about it. Check all the bolts are tight & nothing is broken like an engine or pipe mount.

If it still vibrates at slipway more than remember then it could have twisted the crank out of alignment, maybe in a crash or downchange over rev, but that isn't a common thing.

Str8 Jacket
12th June 2008, 11:39
Bit concerned about the vibration. It has the balance shaft disconnected (in it's past as a roadbike it was parked up as that bearing was making noise until Paul? a mechanic bought it to commute on removed the shaft & the noise went away) but it never really vibrated enough to worry about it. Check all the bolts are tight & nothing is broken like an engine or pipe mount.

If it still vibrates at slipway more than remember then it could have twisted the crank out of alignment, maybe in a crash or downchange over rev, but that isn't a common thing.

It was vibrating more than a sex toy! That's what had me clinging on in nervous angst during the practice round. Funnily enough, the vibrations felt nowhere near as bad when I was out in the 6 lapper and feeling relaxed. Its amazing what difference a larger track makes to the feel of the bike.
Im hoping to get my cast off in enough time for the next round at Brooklyn. Its not a points race so it'll be good to play around with a few different things and see if they make any difference....

Number One
14th June 2008, 10:40
Fark I totally missed this report Hels! There I was thinking you had not done one. Apparently I must also search the forums and not just look at the New posts page :stupid:

Anyway - sorry that you hurt yourself! That's a total bummer. Heal up soon - looking forward to our next points races :shifty: Won't be right if one of the gals isn't there.

Oh and Congrats on Popping your Cherry...out the way now eh?

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2008, 11:10
Hehe, Kendog has just dropped Sambo of. I must say that Mr Kendog was looking swish in his "tighty whiteys" :niceone:

Malcolms out there now hosing him down from his frolicks in the mud. Though im wondering if that bloddy Pamela had something to do with his current state! :whistle:

Trudes
14th June 2008, 11:11
Hehe, Kendog has just dropped Sambo of. I must say that Mr Kendog was looking swish in his "tighty whiteys" :niceone:

Malcolms out there now hosing him down from his frolicks in the mud. Though im wondering if that bloddy Pamela had something to do with his current state! :whistle:

hahaha!!! She is a dirty bitch, you shoulda seen what they were up to last night!!:eek5:

gav
14th June 2008, 17:19

Malcolm is hosing Mr Kendog down? :cool:

merv
14th June 2008, 22:08
Malcolm is hosing Mr Kendog down? :cool:

Yeah he needs cooling down after being with that hot chick of his too much.

Anyone got any photos of these "tighty whiteys"? :cool:

Skunk
15th June 2008, 09:27
Anyone got any photos of these "tighty whiteys"? :cool:
Now you've got me worried about you merv...

Kendog
16th June 2008, 16:47
:shit::pinch::blink::shit: