PDA

View Full Version : Another Warning

Lou Girardin
26th August 2003, 16:46
I guess there had to be a first time, wet road, diesel, exposed strips of tar and I went splat. Then the fun started, the insurance company didn't increase the sum insured as I asked, so the bike was under insured by a grand. Then, after a couple of weeks the repairer phoned to ask if I knew what was happening. Rang the insurance co. to be told they're writing the bike off, the quote from the assessor was $7000. Trouble is, I saw the repairers quote first - $5600. Where was the extra $1400, you might ask?
Well the assessor added that to the quote because he saw some plastic scuff marks on a fork leg and a small ding in the rim, done when a tyre was changed.
Something smelt fishy here and it wasn't fish. The assessor wasn't trying to get a cheap do up from a write off, was he?
Anyway, after a lot of stuffing around it's sorted.
The moral of the story;
Get everything in writing fron your insurance company, don't rely on some bimbo to actually do as you ask.
If your bike's a 'write off', query the quote. Make sure it's kosher.
And don't under insure it to save a few bucks.

Kwaka-Kid
26th August 2003, 20:04
FArk, sad story to hear dude :(

anyways you couldnt have not told insurence company and brought bike back from dead homejob styles? Make it a street fighter?

I personally dont have the 2wheels insured along the theory (i was told) that if you bin the bike u repair it yourself, and if its a really bad bin, then you aint gonna survive to have to pay for it etc :confused:

Redstar
26th August 2003, 21:04
talking insurance. I might be repeating myself? has anyone actually read the small print? I had full cover with Protecta and it said. if I have a loss on my own excess $1500 if I had a crash into a third party excess $1000.
Why for I thunk(past tence for think)
most bike crashes are lonely cornering events no witness to consult why maybe fraud could be a hedge dump for a track incident?
whereas hiting someone else gives a cance that it was not your fault and it was no way fraudulent.
so its better to hit a car than loose it on a corner.
Mind you I changed to AMI they dont give a toss and for 200$ less give full cover.
actually I've gone third party now cause the bike is paid for and i,m prepared to take the total lose $22 a year.
they offered me 2.50$ month that less than a moro bar and a coke!
PS SWAN is Protecta by another name.
If you stuff your bike on the track don't hedge dump it just down the road use your imagination dump it in epsom (moped land)

Big Dog
28th August 2003, 15:54
Originally posted by Redstar
If you stuff your bike on the track don't hedge dump it just down the road use your imagination dump it in epsom (moped land)

Or perhaps push it in front of a truck:niceone: lol

PS. only joking:(

Lou Girardin
29th August 2003, 07:59
If there's a 'next time' (touch wood), I'll do the repair myself. I almost didn't renew the policy this time, just as well I did.
lou