PDA

View Full Version : Eat yer heart out, Burt Munro

Boulder
11th June 2008, 08:17
Man from Muriwai takes 250cc Honda to Bonneville, upping its normal 54.4kW to 74.5kW that goes 320km/h.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10515628

daaatomic
11th June 2008, 08:19
I just read that.....farkin' awesome. 100grand is a lot of money though.

zadok
11th June 2008, 08:43
Wow....he'll beat the old record by around 68km/h!!:niceone:

Sam I Am
11th June 2008, 09:21
OH thats well cool!!!
I meet him when i was riding and came across him one nigh, sprawled on the road with a broken collarbone out at Muriwai.
Damn it looked painfull, and to see him go and attempt this is wicked

best of luck Corey

Edbear
11th June 2008, 09:26
It'll be interesting to see how he gets on as Bonneville is not an easy place to go fast. Witness the 600's and 1,000's struggling to break the 200mph mark. They have traction problems that make it very tricky to achieve. Much different from sealed roads for sure.

Good to see him giving it a go, though.

007XX
11th June 2008, 09:27
Good on him! :niceone:

However, Burt will always be a legend, and I don't think it fair to compare this new guy to him.

They both need to be appreciated for what they are (or have) respectively achieved.

I really hope he kicks arse in the States.

merv
11th June 2008, 13:50
Yep remember Thorensen on the ZX14, he proved it aint that easy. What Burt did truly was something.

Now can a 250 do it? Mmmmm if so why hasn't it been done already?

Good luck to the man.

sunhuntin
11th June 2008, 13:57
Good on him! :niceone:

However, Burt will always be a legend, and I don't think it fair to compare this new guy to him.

They both need to be appreciated for what they are (or have) respectively achieved.

I really hope he kicks arse in the States.

exactly... burt didnt have access to "click and its there in 5 mins" like we have, with the internet and bike dealers and very fast international postage. he had to do everything by himself, trial and error. its because of men like him, making the early mistakes and break throughs, that young men today can attempt to break his record.
i havent read brittens book, but i wouldnt be surprised if burt wasnt part inspiration for johns bikes.

fireball
11th June 2008, 14:17
this will be one to watch for sure!

i hope he achieves all his wildest dreams out there on the salts.

Bullitt
11th June 2008, 17:02
54.4 kw seems a massive amount for a stock 250. I have no idea what that bike is but if its making that kinda power its presumably pretty highly stressed already. Getting another 20+ kw out of it sounds hugely impressive to me.

cowpoos
11th June 2008, 17:23
54.4 kw seems a massive amount for a stock 250. I have no idea what that bike is but if its making that kinda power its presumably pretty highly stressed already. Getting another 20+ kw out of it sounds hugely impressive to me.
its a two stroke!

Bullitt
11th June 2008, 18:43
Yeah I guessed that was the case. Still its now making 400hp per litre...very few engines two stroke, turbo, whatever get close to that.

Coyote
11th June 2008, 20:57

Of course. Burt used ingenuity. This guys thrown money at it

McJim
11th June 2008, 21:17
They're riding in a different clasification from the World's fastest Indian. The reporter has just alluded to Burt Munro to grab your attention.
I strongly suspect Burt would be fully supportive of the attempt and not eating his heart out at all.

Best of luck to the fellas at Bonneville. Traction will be the biggest problem on the salt so I've been led to believe but with a 2 smoker maybe the fact that it doesn't lay down a ton of torque will be in it's favour? Look forward to seeing the results.

R6_kid
11th June 2008, 21:37

he's also made a lot of custom performance bits himself... at the end of the day he's kind of ripped himself off. He's getting 100hp out of a used 250GP bike, im pretty sure the KTM kit bike for 250GP puts out that much standard.

Edbear
11th June 2008, 21:40

For sure it's a lot of money, but it also takes a fair degree of mechanical and engineering nouse to do what they seem to have done. I reckon they're doing well and should be supported. Whether they'll succeed is a big question, but good on them for trying and it won't do NZ's rep any harm either.

They're riding in a different clasification from the World's fastest Indian. The reporter has just alluded to Burt Munro to grab your attention.
I strongly suspect Burt would be fully supportive of the attempt and not eating his heart out at all.

Best of luck to the fellas at Bonneville. Traction will be the biggest problem on the salt so I've been led to believe but with a 2 smoker maybe the fact that it doesn't lay down a ton of torque will be in it's favour? Look forward to seeing the results.

I agree. I reckon old Burt would be very enthusiastic about it.

007XX
12th June 2008, 09:10

Without knowing the full story about his new guy, I wouldn't be feeling confident about making a comment. I mean it does mention that he made a lot of parts himself. My earlier comment was more to point out that comparing him to Burt would be unfair to him...he shouldn't be made to try to live up to a legend like Burt Munro. I hope people can appreciate the doings of this new guy for their own merits...and if he is using lots of his own hard earned cash or sponsorship to do it, it still takes a dream, determination to see it through and a heck of a lot of work. That should be respected.

Exactly! Well put as usual.

quallman1234
12th June 2008, 13:02

I reckon the biggest problem, would be the jetting change's and getting the bike set up for the humidity of the desert.

tzrmike
12th June 2008, 18:47
Yeah I guessed that was the case. Still its now making 400hp per litre...very few engines two stroke, turbo, whatever get close to that.

The Honda 500cc GP bikes were reportedly making 190~200hp in the mid 90s, the Yamaha, Suzuki and Cagivas were around 180hp.

2 litre turbo (drag) cars are making between 800~1000hp in New Zealand, and again, reportedly, 1200~1300hp in the States.

Not suggesting its easy, by any means, but definitely not improbable/impossible.

CB ARGH
12th June 2008, 22:37
Loved that movie!

Will be good to see another Kiwi take the pole!

Hopefully not hit a pole.

heh. :clap:

quallman1234
13th June 2008, 01:08
The 125GP bikes are worth a mention.
An decent one makes 40 - 45 hp
thats not bad considering it relates too 320hp / litre - 360hp / litre

I ride these pupies these days and they aint even that peaky! a boy do they work well when slipping that old clutch (seriously well)

Not to forget, F5Dave's RG50 making 16ish RWH (320hp / litre)

mouldy
17th June 2008, 13:49
Man from Muriwai takes 250cc Honda to Bonneville, upping its normal 54.4kW to 74.5kW that goes 320km/h.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10515628

Theres a young guy out Drury way who is taking a bored out Fizzer 400 with a Toymotor MR2 supercharger on it to have a crack at the 500 record over there as well , this guy is doing it Burt styles ,made lots of bits himself and we've got a collection jar on the counter for him . Who said kiwis can't fly