PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Hot Grips.

cowboyz
11th June 2008, 16:58
Well I have conceeded and put hot grips on the 9. $115 from the new honda shop in Palmy which was great because it means I didnt have to deal with thou who shall not be named.
Install went very easy. Start to finish was under half an hour and that included taking tank off and routing the wire back to the battery. I thought about hooking it into the ignition as some had recommended but after some thought I got into the thinking that if it was directly connected to the battery then I can turn them on and let them warm up before starting the bike. Plus it saved cutting wires.
I have ridden the 14km commute home from work and found 100% to be very very hot. I can imagine the benefit on the cold mornings that are coming. I found myself in the same position that I was just after I put a packrack on. Before I had one I didnt really see the benefits of having one. Now I cant do without it.
Was really concerned about changing the look of the bike but quite happy how everything fell out of eyes view.
Great product and if you are thinking about some then stop thinking and just go do it. You wont regret it.
Pictures in the link in my sig.

98tls
11th June 2008, 17:02
Must admit to having given them some thought over the years,usually when my fingers are so cold it hurts then when you get home warm them up and forget about it.Have the day off tomorrow so will stop thinking and go order a set.:niceone:

sinfull
11th June 2008, 17:04
You must be getting old or something !

Now where was that shop that stocks them again

My biggest concern is power usage as i've heard that ya have to be carefull how much juice ya drain off the triumphs and having the Radar detector gobbling its share already is a worry !

yod
11th June 2008, 17:14
the oxfords have a voltage check on them

if the battery is below 11.5V they wont turn on

Horse
11th June 2008, 17:27
The manual lists the power consumption. I'll check it tonight when I get home, I think it's 4A or 5A at the 100% setting (which as Cowboyz says is very hot, I haven't used that setting on mine yet). My bike is notorious for having a very underpowed electrical system, but I've had the grips on for extended periods (usually on the 40% setting) without any drama with low battery or the bike being difficult to start.

stevewederell
11th June 2008, 17:56
Nothing quite like toasty little hands! :2thumbsup.

My latest toy came with them already installed, makes those frosty early morning commutes no problem...

Hey just had an idea, how sweet would it be if you put the gloves over them before you headed off?:clap:

I know, I know I'm soft, especially for a southern lad.

jrandom
11th June 2008, 18:03
Yup, they're fookin gorgeous.

I had Oxford hot grips on the Zeal and there'll be a pair on the GSX1400 when I pick it up from the workshop on Friday.

I wouldn't want to do a winter's riding without them.

robertydog
11th June 2008, 18:42
Well I have conceeded and put hot grips on the 9. $115 from the new honda shop in Palmy which was great because it means I didnt have to deal with thou who shall not be named.
Install went very easy. Start to finish was under half an hour and that included taking tank off and routing the wire back to the battery. I thought about hooking it into the ignition as some had recommended but after some thought I got into the thinking that if it was directly connected to the battery then I can turn them on and let them warm up before starting the bike. Plus it saved cutting wires.
I have ridden the 14km commute home from work and found 100% to be very very hot. I can imagine the benefit on the cold mornings that are coming. I found myself in the same position that I was just after I put a packrack on. Before I had one I didnt really see the benefits of having one. Now I cant do without it.
Was really concerned about changing the look of the bike but quite happy how everything fell out of eyes view.
Great product and if you are thinking about some then stop thinking and just go do it. You wont regret it.
Pictures in the link in my sig.

Says it all dosn't it.:violin:

Sketchy_Racer
11th June 2008, 19:23
I got them on my hornet!

Awesome as, and even with the nake style they don't stick out enough to make the bike look ugly!

Only trouble I have is that I have unusually large hands and my thumb doesn't fit on the grip and gets cold!

erik
11th June 2008, 19:27
My sv came with them on it. I've been thinking about swapping them for standard grips, but I'd better do some riding before I decide.

nallac
11th June 2008, 19:31
i once had a sporty, it didn't have hot grips.
so i swapped it for some hot grips (which i wouldn't live without now.)
oh they also came with a cb900 attached to em
bonus

BiK3RChiK
11th June 2008, 19:32
I bought some for my bike and my hubby knicked them!:Oi: So I'm going to get a heated vest instead..:msn-wink:

duckonin
11th June 2008, 19:43
Hot grips just make sure you have wired them into your key as if you turn your bike off and they are still running then in no time at all you will have to push your bike to make it go believe me..

Next if you have wet gloves and cold hands do not turn up the heat as you will end up taking the skin of your hands..when real cold they can be tempting to turn up, resist the temptation, \other than that they are bloody good, except on a long cold ride when the ends of your fingers will freeze, but your palms will be hot....

cowboyz
11th June 2008, 19:48
I didnt wire them into the key so I could warm them up before getting on the bike to go to work. Otherwise it would take aslong to warm up as it takes to get to work and that kinda defeats the purpose really. I am pretty sure my memory is not so far gone that I will forget to turn them off just yet.

BM-GS
11th June 2008, 19:53
I've now had 3 generations of these things. I think I liked the early ones better as you had a swtch (on or off) which mounted more tidily on the bars. The new ones have a 3cm x 3cm (ish) box of gubbins to plonk on.

Having said that, not melting your hands is nice, but the new ones also have got fat and the wires are think, which makes routing a bit more of an effort, but once they're on, they're on.

The new Oxford electronical box-of-bits also has a clever won't-flatten-the-battery feature so as the man says, no wires to cut - just hook up to the battery.

So long as you keep the bike running, there'll be no problem flattening the battery as the charging system should sort all that out. If it makes a difference (and you're doing decent trips of >20 mins) then you have other problems, but that could be related to the cold, which isn't nice to batteries.

I'll never have a bike without heated grips again! I've only used summer gloves for 13 years, and most of that as in the UK...

magicfairy
11th June 2008, 20:03
I got these http://www.warmfit.com/. That way I kept my original grips, which suit my small hands. The bar heaters work well, but take a bit longer to kick in. Work really well.

chanceyy
11th June 2008, 20:06
I am pretty sure my memory is not so far gone that I will forget to turn them off just yet.

:scratch: well it was your birthday yesterday .. are you sure your memory is not gone :nya:

duckonin
11th June 2008, 20:09
cowyboyz it takes my grips about two mins to be at operating temp so while the oil is flowing around the parts that need it before I ride my grips are heating..

Got home in the rain one night a couple of years back had some spare gloves up on the handle bars behind the screen (cruiser) where my box was never saw the light on the control box turned off the bike, couple of hours later OH NO had to push, so this time had them wired into my key now no probs...

Draig
11th June 2008, 20:11
yeah I got some recently too! only payed about $90 locally in Dunners. Took a wee while to fit to get all the cable runs neat n tidy but well worth the time. Only had them on %50 so far - plenty of heat.:sunny: Only critism is the LED's are bloody bright!

cowboyz
11th June 2008, 20:18
cowyboyz it takes my grips about two mins to be at operating temp so while the oil is flowing around the parts that need it before I ride my grips are heating..

Got home in the rain one night a couple of years back had some spare gloves up on the handle bars behind the screen (cruiser) where my box was never saw the light on the control box turned off the bike, couple of hours later OH NO had to push, so this time had them wired into my key now no probs...

which brings me onto another topic in a thread I will be starting on a forum near you soon.

oldrider
11th June 2008, 20:48
Must admit to having given them some thought over the years,usually when my fingers are so cold it hurts then when you get home warm them up and forget about it.Have the day off tomorrow so will stop thinking and go order a set.:niceone:

M... I have got a set in my garage that have never been used! :niceone:

Make me an offer I can't refuse. :rolleyes:

Tiger has them factory fitted but I hardly ever use them. (don't like them actually) :oi-grr: Cheers John.

Mr Triple
11th June 2008, 20:53
Had heated grips fit to my last bike and got them on my latest one as well. Wouldn't go with out them now. I also run with summer gloves in winter.

Pumba
11th June 2008, 21:18
I have been thinking about them and probally will with the new bike.

And when you think about it a good set of winter gloves is at least $100 (and your hands are normally still cold), so it even makes good money sense.

CookMySock
11th June 2008, 21:19
the oxfords have a voltage check on them - if the battery is below 11.5V they wont turn onyup, and if you leave them on they will turn themselves off pretty quick.

I did a 1,100km trip with oxfords, and I'm not totally persuaded - I took hours to warm up by the time I got home, and that was with a singlet, two layers of polypro, a fleece jersey, jacket, and DriRiders. They could be warmer I think. They most certainly will not "take your skin off". They are like hanging onto a nice warm fat pipe. That brings me to the next problem - the grip size is er, large - I don't particularly like fat grips.

Would I fit them again ? as I say, I am not persuaded. They are nice for sure, but I think I will check out a heated vest.

DB

cowboyz
11th June 2008, 21:25
some of us are used to fat grips.

yod
11th June 2008, 21:28
some of us are used to fat grips.

damn, beat me to it

cowboyz
11th June 2008, 21:29
got off my cap restriction

yod
11th June 2008, 21:33
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cowboyz again.

Sketchy_Racer
11th June 2008, 21:41
Oh yeah i second anyone who says the leds are flippen bright! esp the blue one!

Im gonna put some quick release hand guards on my bike (naked) so that it'll stop the wind chill. And also i can take them off quickly if need be

CookMySock
11th June 2008, 21:50
some of us are used to fat grips.does he say your name and look into your eyes while ur doing him ? :blink:

DB

sels1
11th June 2008, 21:50
I am pretty sure my memory is not so far gone that I will forget to turn them off just yet.

Ha - you might say that now but.....
Ive done it with mine a couple of times, normally after coming home from long rides. I have left them on unintenionally at cafe stops too but it take quite a long time to run the battery down fortunately.
My bike came with them, I hadnt had them on previous bikes but have grown to appreciate them more and more lately.

HRT
11th June 2008, 21:51
Stupid question maybe, but where do ya get them and how easy to install?

Dunedin is starting to get to that cold(er) time of the year again

yod
11th June 2008, 21:51
i haven't tried them in excessively cold conditions yet, but imagine with our groups proclivity for early starts, i'll get the chance soon enough.

i'm pretty confident they'll be greatly appreciated

CookMySock
11th June 2008, 21:58
Stupid question maybe, but where do ya get them and how easy to install?Any bike shop can get them for you.

Mine were a biiiiiiaaaarrrrrrch to install. Lots of plastic to remove off the grips - everything the wrong shape. Nothing a 4" angle grinder can't fix.. :yes: It was bloody scary putting them on with superglue - aint no way they will come off EVER!!!

DB

cowboyz
11th June 2008, 22:27

any good bike shop will stock them. Actually round here even the crap bike shops stock them.

Took me half an hour to install. Very easy.

took bar ends off.
Peeled old grips off (which were not glued)
drop of glue on the bar
slid new hotgrips on lined up.
screwed bracket on for control unit.
put control unit on (2 screws)
took tank off (4 bolts)
routed wire through frame/loom to battery
put tank back on
pluged everything in (the 2 grips and control unit all plug in together)
few cable ties here and there to tidy things up.
all working.
Note. I actually fucked up with the throttle one first time. The superglue is REALLY fast setting and I slide the drip on too slow and got it stuck half way. Bit of armstrong bullying and broke the glue and redid it. Just slide the grip on really fast.

Easy as that.

i haven't tried them in excessively cold conditions yet, but imagine with our groups proclivity for early starts, i'll get the chance soon enough.

i'm pretty confident they'll be greatly appreciated

What early starts?

yod
12th June 2008, 01:03
What early starts?

6am is plenty early for me!

ajturbo
12th June 2008, 07:17
i first got a pair back in the early 80's... for my GS450E...
every bike i have owned since then has had them... some took a while before i put them on...
but i really like my electric vest...mmmmmm

CookMySock
12th June 2008, 07:57
but i really like my electric vest...mmmmmmvest or grips AJ ? which is best ?

DB

ajturbo
12th June 2008, 08:13
vest or grips AJ ? which is best ?

DB
last time i went to TGA couple of weeks ago now... i had both going... arrived with warm hands and warm body..

so both!!!

Number One
12th June 2008, 08:44
I want some tooo! I have crap circulation in my hands and even on days that I don't consider that cold I have arrived at my destination with cold numb fingers. One question I have though is do they make your bars heaps fatter? I have llittle hands so it they are too fat I would probably not get them.

CookMySock
12th June 2008, 09:00
so both!!!nooooo!! if you had to choose ??

I have crap circulation in my hands and even on days that I don't consider that cold I have arrived at my destination with cold numb fingers. One question I have though is do they make your bars heaps fatter? I have llittle hands so it they are too fat I would probably not get them.ooh /me circulates Number Ones' hands vigorously... :niceone: Oh, the question, YES they do make the grips fatter. I noticed it, and I STILL notice it. I don't really like it, but once I get on my way and concentrating on what I am doing I don't really notice it. Mavis bought the hotgrips for her bike, but I am glad I nicked them and put them on my bike, because theres no way she will like these bigger grips, and theres ALSO no way they will ever bloody come off.. :doh:

See if someone nearby has a heated vest, and give that a try before you go the hotgrips way.

HTH,
DB

yod
12th June 2008, 09:02
I want some tooo! I have crap circulation in my hands and even on days that I don't consider that cold I have arrived at my destination with cold numb fingers. One question I have though is do they make your bars heaps fatter? I have llittle hands so it they are too fat I would probably not get them.

They do make the grips bigger but how much is "heaps"?

Go to a shop, ask to open a box and try them for size. I'm sure they wouldnt mind

ajturbo
12th June 2008, 09:14

no they are the same as normal grips...
so your sexy little fingers will wrap around them just fine...:woohoo:

Number One
12th June 2008, 09:32
See if someone nearby has a heated vest, and give that a try before you go the hotgrips way.

Heated vest?! My tits don't get cold:rolleyes:...it's my fingers mayte! :laugh: seriously though..there are heated vests too?! Probably couldn't fit it under my jacket though with the back protector and layers I need.

BTW Yod - thanks for that...I shall approach the local shops to see if they let me try for size. Heaps?! :lol: yeah I'm terribly non-specific at times :eek: I just want to feel in control and that I am not having to work tooo hard to hang on to them properly...prolly something I'd get used to anyway I guess? But yes I shall hot foot it to a shop to try.

vifferman
12th June 2008, 09:44
One of the reasons (but not a major one) that I bought my bike instead of one of the other VFRs in the shop was the hot grips. I always thought they were for pussies or really cold climates, but I must say after using them the first time I changed my tune. The first time I turned them on, I was grinning lot a Chesire cat. It's funny how having warm hands when you're feeling a bit cold can make you feel so much more comfy.
I like wearing summer gloves for as much of the year as possible, so they allow me to do that.
Yes, my grips are a bit fat (and hard), especially after the VTR which had thin, squishy (gel?) grips, and that's the only thing I don't like about them.
I've got mine hooked up through the accessory fuse box under my seat. Originally they were wired up to the brake light switch, but I thought that was a dumb idea so rewired them. I dunno what brand mine are, but they have a rotating switch which offers infinitely variable heat. That's fine, except I find I usually use only two or three positions anyway.

CookMySock
12th June 2008, 10:19
no they are the same as normal grips...
so your sexy little fingers will wrap around them just fine...:woohoo:oh, that is curious. Well, just for the record, my oxford hotgrips are fatter than standard ones. Measurements to follow! Yes! real measurements! With numbers in them.. squeal!!!

Heated vest?! My tits don't get cold:rolleyes:...it's my fingers mayte! :laugh: seriously though..there are heated vests too?! Probably couldn't fit it under my jacket though with the back protector and layers I need.The theory is, if you keep your core warm, then the extremities retain circulation. Can someone who knows about this elaborate please ?

The vests are very thin, and are likely to comfortably fit under almost anything. You can also dispense with one of your layers. On a trip, I expect (I have never tried a heated vest) to wear singlet, polypro long-sleeve, heated vest, warm insulating layer, outer layer (DriRider, leathers etc).

Remember, you can wear your vest everywhere, and plug it into any 12V source. Car, home, workplace etc etc etc. The cord goes in a pocket when its not in use.

DB

cowboyz
12th June 2008, 17:13
oh, that is curious. Well, just for the record, my oxford hotgrips are fatter than standard ones. Measurements to follow! Yes! real measurements! With numbers in them.. squeal!!!
DB

The oxford grips are thicker than the standard ZX9R grips. I actually like them being bigger anyhow. My old grips I found quite often I felt like I was wrapping my hand round them twice.

chanceyy
12th June 2008, 17:59

hey chick .. have not found it to much difference to the bars .. but yeah you can only try them

the difference is amazing, I have them on the new bike & found that if my hands are warm so is the rest of me .. absolutely brilliant :)

Draig
12th June 2008, 18:52

Bought mine in Mciver & veitch - about $90 odd - had to ask as they don't have them on display - they also sell another make.

Ease of installation - depends what you fit em to I guess - I had to file some ribs of the throtle tube so they would fit but easy enough to do and quite common it would seem.

HRT
12th June 2008, 19:12
Any idea how long they take to warm up?

yod
12th June 2008, 19:16

couple of minutes

pete376403
12th June 2008, 19:30
Used both Oxford heated grips and a home made heated vest on this years Brass Monkey. found the push button controller for the grips easy to use even with thick gloves on. Started out on the hottest position, then after about 5-10 minutes had to go down a couple of clicks and left them at that.
Diameter of the grips installed is 35mm. Diameter of the original grips was 30mm so they are a wee bit bigger

Need to make a similar controller for the vest. jaycar have a 12v controller rated at 10amp, should be enough

Taz
12th June 2008, 19:32
Who else has had the new style controller crap out and have to be replaced??

cowboyz
12th June 2008, 20:10
well mine has lasted a day and a half and hasnt broken yet.

banditrider
12th June 2008, 20:48
Who else has had the new style controller crap out and have to be replaced??

How'd ya know it was the controller? Just wondering as mine seems to be going but I've lost heating to the RHS grip?

Draig
12th June 2008, 20:52

By the time the bike is warmed up and my gloves and helmet are on they are normally getting there.

pete376403
12th June 2008, 20:56
How'd ya know it was the controller? Just wondering as mine seems to be going but I've lost heating to the RHS grip?

Swap the left and right grip cables at the plugs. If the fault stays on the right side then the fault must be with the grip. If the fault moves to the other side it must be the controller

CookMySock
12th June 2008, 23:16
I actually like them being bigger anyhow. My old grips I found quite often I felt like I was wrapping my hand round them twice.wickedly tempted :innocent:

I cant find my calipers to measure them.. betcha my tape measure is nowhere to be found too.. grump! That extra 5mm diameter means a lot more circumference.

Any idea how long they take to warm up?Very quickly. Noticeable in 2 mins, very warm in 5mins, very very warm in 10mins.

Who else has had the new style controller crap out and have to be replaced??LOL. I toasted the controller in 5 mins flat. It does NOT like my HID lights. The interference from the HIDs destroyed one controller after the other.. 4 in total so far.. I'm just going to put a switch on it. shrug. It would be nice if the HIDs didn't reset my dash too, sigh.

DB

PrincessBandit
13th June 2008, 15:01
I get reeeeeaaaaalllly reeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllly cold hands (even when not riding) and have wondered how good heated grips would be. Would've thought all you tough Southerners would give us softie Aucklanders a hard time for feeling the cold :msn-wink: but it's nice to see there are some up in the temperate north here who wouldn't be without them. Mmmmm. Food for thought.

Biggles2000
13th June 2008, 15:12
I have had them on my last 4 or 5 bikes, I love them. I don't mind them being fatter as I have gorilla sized hands, but also nowdays I don't often wear winter weight golves which helps me to control the bike better.

CookMySock
13th June 2008, 16:59
Food for thought.Get some, PB. I'll put them on for ya. You'll love them - like hanging onto a nice hot heater rail.

DB

Meanie
13th June 2008, 18:27
I refused to take my bike out of the showroom until they fitted hot grips on the concours
Heated hand grips rock

Owl
13th June 2008, 18:53
I refused to take my bike out of the showroom until they fitted hot grips on the concours
Heated hand grips rock

You won't need them now you have a nice hot colour!:yes:

SDU
13th June 2008, 21:41
Just got some the beginning off the week! Wow they heat up so quick & work brilliantly - Now to get some for me feet:lol:

Only downside to the hot grips are they are not gel grips which I need to reduce the vibes, but it's way better to be able to have feeling in my hands than not

Transalper
14th June 2008, 09:34
If you like your own grips there is another option, not in bar heaters but a wrap that goes between your bar and grip...
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?page=CST/PROD/dual_star_e/16025

cooneyr is using them and likes them.

SDU
14th June 2008, 16:00
If you like your own grips there is another option, not in bar heaters but a wrap that goes between your bar and grip...
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?page=CST/PROD/dual_star_e/16025

cooneyr is using them and likes them.

Thanks I'll keep them in mind but I have the oxfords on now & will see how I go over time with the vibe issue but it is nice to have my hands feeling so toastie:sunny:

AllanB
14th June 2008, 16:34
I didnt wire them into the key so I could warm them up before getting on the bike to go to work. Otherwise it would take aslong to warm up as it takes to get to work and that kinda defeats the purpose really. I am pretty sure my memory is not so far gone that I will forget to turn them off just yet.

Pop down to Dick Smiths or similar and get a switch to run in-line with the wire - mount it where you can see it so you know they are on.

Or better yet get one of these cool switch covers as well -

Or get one with a light - green I'd presume :2thumbsup

cowboyz
14th June 2008, 16:44
actually, as a side point. and I dont know why. I cant turn the hotgrips on if the bike is cold. First thought is a battery problem (as it is connected directly to the battery) but I start my bike every morning and it only takes a 0.5 second push on the starter to fire her into life so battery cant be that bad.
Another thing that has worked out quite good for me is by accident where I have mounted the control unit, if the unit is on 100% the red light is directly under the subframe/birdcage thing that goes over my dash so I dont have a red light in my view. Quite pleased about that.

Taz
14th June 2008, 16:48
The pair we just fitted to a blackbird do the same thing. The bike needs a few revs before the grips can be switched on. My daytona heated grips were like a Elba..... "They just do what they should" Probably the difference between Japanese quality and chinese manufacture?

HRT
14th June 2008, 17:01
Put some on today, gonna be a good thing me thinks :)

Meanie
14th June 2008, 17:06
actually, as a side point. and I dont know why. I cant turn the hotgrips on if the bike is cold. First thought is a battery problem (as it is connected directly to the battery) but I start my bike every morning and it only takes a 0.5 second push on the starter to fire her into life so battery cant be that bad.
Another thing that has worked out quite good for me is by accident where I have mounted the control unit, if the unit is on 100% the red light is directly under the subframe/birdcage thing that goes over my dash so I dont have a red light in my view. Quite pleased about that.

You have them on high......you blardy pussy

cowboyz
14th June 2008, 18:35
I do everything on high.

chanceyy
14th June 2008, 22:39
Now to get some for me feet:lol:

love my heated grips & love my new oxford chill out socks as well

I usually wear two pairs of socks but always still tend to get cold .. chill out socks did the bizo today :yes:

CookMySock
15th June 2008, 07:56
actually, as a side point. and I dont know why. I cant turn the hotgrips on if the bike is cold. The battery voltage is too low. The grips controller won't let you turn them on if the battery is anything but fully topped up.

DB

skidMark
15th June 2008, 08:19
Just got some, grips feel same in hand if they are bigger it is very very marginal.

Blimin hot though, a bit gutted they dont have the fully adjustable reostat dial, instead just a 4 different precentage one, seems to be okay. all shops told me ya cant get the old turn dial ones anymore.

Ahhh well...

Bloodey hot though! :D

Taz
15th June 2008, 14:22
A mate in the pub the other night said we were just soft for having heated grips....
Asked him if he had a heater in his truck?
Yeah he says.
Do you turn it on when it gets cold?
But that's different says he......

alanzs
15th June 2008, 14:49
So I'm going to get a heated vest instead..:msn-wink:

Heated vests are amazing. They have changed my whole thoughts about riding in the cold. I don't need to wear fifty layers of clothing and the vest keeps me soooo warm. Great product! :calm:

pete376403
15th June 2008, 18:14
Just got some, grips feel same in hand if they are bigger it is very very marginal.

Blimin hot though, a bit gutted they dont have the fully adjustable reostat dial, instead just a 4 different precentage one, seems to be okay. all shops told me ya cant get the old turn dial ones anymore.:D

The dial type are available but possibly only in the 1" diameter bar size (cruiser / harley size bars). Friend has them on his Yamaha 1100 cruiser.
I think that is a "looks" thing rather than infinite adjustability as the rotary control is much smaller than the 4 position push button controller.

Sketchy_Racer
15th June 2008, 19:01
Oh and those that are worried about leaving your grips on and flattening your battery -

The new ones have a voltage sensor in them. Once the voltage gets below 11.5 they turn off! That's also why the wont turn on when on first startup. Rev your bike upto about 3k, then try turn them on. A bikes stator system doesn't make stuff all power at idle.

mouldy
16th June 2008, 14:54
Hot grips just make sure you have wired them into your key as if you turn your bike off and they are still running then in no time at all you will have to push your bike to make it go believe me..

Next if you have wet gloves and cold hands do not turn up the heat as you will end up taking the skin of your hands..when real cold they can be tempting to turn up, resist the temptation, \other than that they are bloody good, except on a long cold ride when the ends of your fingers will freeze, but your palms will be hot....

Used these things for a few years now and LOVE them . If you wire them through you ignition they must run through a relay or the controllers burn out . Wish I'd put them on 20 years ago .

duckonin
16th June 2008, 16:03
Used these things for a few years now and LOVE them . If you wire them through you ignition they must run through a relay or the controllers burn out . Wish I'd put them on 20 years ago .

Thanks for that mouldy, zuki dealers in Tauranga did my last ones no prob to date..

Was talking about burning skin at a rally on the weekend, with gloves that are wet inside, temp to hot, but not really realizing untill to late, and yes it has happened to others...Back a few posts Dangerous Bastard almost rubbished what I had said, but if you do the k's in the cold and your gloves get wet inside beware as you will not realy feel it happen untill it is to late..

Plus over time keep an eye on your grips as I have had wires show after 20,000ks boy are they hot if your grips are on low and you have no gloves on, yes I know you should not ride without gloves but we all do just off to the shops at times...

CookMySock
16th June 2008, 18:26
Was talking about burning skin at a rally on the weekend, with gloves that are wet inside, temp to hot, but not really realizing untill to late, and yes it has happened to others...Back a few posts Dangerous Bastard almost rubbished what I had said, but if you do the k's in the cold and your gloves get wet inside beware as you will not realy feel it happen untill it is to late..Thanks for the heads-up on that. I didn't think I was that hard on you though.. :innocent:

DB