PDA

View Full Version : Its good to be back in NZ

portokiwi
11th June 2008, 18:50
Hi I was working over in Afghanistan from 05-07. Then spent 3 months in Portugal.
Loved it there but could not get a job due to the fact I dont know Portuguese lol.:doh:
If anyone gets the chance to do the big O.E you must vist Portugal. ITS GREAT.
We went through Spain to france and back.
Great bike riding roads.

If you take the highways it cost alot with road charges but the old roads are great.
I will put some photos up soon.

Moki
19th June 2008, 12:36
Wife and I spent a short week in Porto a couple years back. general impression we came out with is "watch yer back".

Went like this:
1. First the bus from the ariport- driver tried short-changing us
2. Demands for $$ for directions.
3. Temporary signs directing tourists to new restaurants via dead-end dark-alley shortcuts (pretty clever but we didn't quite fall for that one).
4. Give the ice cream girl 100 Euro note (smallest I had) and she gave back change on a 10 Euro note. It was helpful that the couple in back of us in the queue saw what happened and threatened to call the cops.

pluses-
Good food
Port cellars

cons-
grubby place
grafitti EVERYWHERE
ripoff merchants everywhere
Not vey welcoming

I've lived in several countries and visited probably another 20 and this probably ranks pretty low on the list of favourite places. Much prefer Spain - especially around the Catalan region.

007XX
19th June 2008, 12:37
One of my ex boyfriends was Portuguese....PHWOOAAARRRR

Best overseas discovery I ever made!

portokiwi
19th June 2008, 12:44
:eek5: Shit where in Portugal did you go........
I was in Portiamo which is the bottom of Portugal.
yes grafitti by the railway lines. But thats the same around the world.
I never once had a problem with money, directions or people. i found them very friendly. Spain was ok for me but I loved Portugal much better.
Portugal has a problem with the black community getting smuggled into the country. They also have a lot of ukrainians there.
But the crime rate is very low.
Petrol there is sky high.
The beaches are fantastic but the water is very cold.

portokiwi
19th June 2008, 12:46
One of my ex boyfriends was Portuguese....PHWOOAAARRRR

Best overseas discovery I ever made!

:2thumbsup yes I have a Portuguese lady. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:drool: