PDA

View Full Version : Welly/Porirua area info?

martybabe
14th June 2008, 09:43
I'm after a bit of area info please, my friend and his family have just arrived in NZ and they have to live in Porirua because of his job commitments.

The thing is ,I know nothing about the place and neither do they.

Can any one local to there give me any info re dodgy areas to avoid renting , Good schools, infact anything about the place at all.

Obviously they have researched via the interweb but there's nothing like local knowledge. They are particularly concerned about a nice safe area to raise the kiddiwinks, 10 years and 13.

Anything you can tell us would be very much appreciated.

Thanx folks. mb :apint:

Nasty
14th June 2008, 09:45
we live in Porirua .... so we can ... I will PM you so we can chat.

Trudes
14th June 2008, 09:51
Well, Whitby and Porirua are slightly different. I'd live in Whitby, but not Porirua and stay away from Cannibal Creek. Tawa is ok, the more South you can get the better, or even North, like Mana. Sorry, that really wasn't helpful :shutup:

Nasty
14th June 2008, 09:54
Whitby is part of Porirua - it is where i pay rates and I pay lots of them (bugger!!)... so was going to go through all the burbs to go to and avoid over the phone ... cos most don't realise there are some really good areas here. and some of them are quite north of the central :) Tawa is actually Wellington and quite inaccessible at times to Porirua ... a friends kid lives there and works part time in porirua and finds it difficult to get around.

There are lots sof viables such as where the job is and stuff to take into account ... so while I am not helpful on here talking on the phone might be :)

XP@
14th June 2008, 10:11
Whitby is nice, popular with ex-pomes.
live just up the road from Nasty,
Have teenage kids 1* 11 & 2* 14 is not too bad for them.

Also have a house which is soon for sale, if they are interested???

PM for more info.

merv
14th June 2008, 10:21
Porirua stretches from Kenepuru in the South to Pukerua Bay in the North and from the West side of Haywards Hill in the East to Titahi Bay in the West. So there are a lot of choices.

People like us live out here but work in Wellington and I'm not sure why you would say they have to live in Porirua. There are a lot of choices, but for easy travel the trains are good for commuting so you can be anywhere including Wellington, Tawa, Porirua, Paekakariki and Paraparumu and never be more than a 25 minute train ride from Porirua i.e. anywhere on the Paraparumu line.

Whitby is good to drive to and from because it is South of Paremata bridge and the lovely transit lanes at Mana and is handy to the Hutt Valley too but at what price per litre. The weather is nice too except for the wind.

Aotea is a recent new suburb next to Papakowhai and close to Porirua town centre but probably gets the wind harder than Whitby. Mana, Camborne, Plimmerton and Pukerua Bay are all nice too, but not so great for road access in rush hour.

All the Porirua suburbs that were developed as State House areas aren't so flash but Titahi Bay is undergoing a bit of renaissance and would be worth a look.

There are plenty of primary schools in the good suburbs and the best high schools are either out of area or the fledgling Samuel Marsden College in Whitby. Many buses travel each day across Haywards Hill to the private or integrated schools such as Hutt International Boys School at Trentham, St Pat's Catholic boys school at Silverstream, Chilton St James and St Orans girls schools in Lower Hutt.

Shadows
14th June 2008, 11:17
Stay well away from the reservation or anywhere within a spear's throw of it (Porirua East, you'll know it when you see it).

Stay North of Porirua.

Whitby isn't bad, personally I hate the place because it used to be our farmland view until Legoland sprung up, also completely ruining the inlet and the fishing with all the silty shit the developers let run into the harbour. But realistically as a place to live it's okay. If in Whitby I'd stay away from Omapere St (or any other non-nautically named place) as you'll be too close to the lowlife just over the hill. You'll smell the meth cooking whenever there's a Southerly.

Mana / Paremata / Cambourne / Plimmerton / Pukerua Bay are all good.

mashman
14th June 2008, 11:33
I moved here a couple of years ago from the UK and spent 2 weeks going everywhere from Paraparaumu through the Hutt Valley and back again. We ended up in renting a fridge freezer in Whitby. From what I could gather Cannons Creek (Cannibal Creek waaaa hah ha) is the main no go area and that side of the State Highway. Titahi had a bad name also, but seems dependent on where you are there... I now have a house for sale in Aotea (overstretched the budget by having another baby recently DOH!!!) and although it's windy, it gets the sun and that's made a huge difference to our heating bills. Like Nasty says, there's so many variables to choosing where you want to live... Primarily what they were used to from whence they came. We were used to insulated walls and double glazing (which we now have again) and it makes a difference. If they're looking for shelter, i'd suggest Paraparam as it's flat and most of the time sheltered by Kapiti Island. Same with Paekok (ish). Pukerua bay can be nice, but loses the sun relatively quickly. Whitby, depending on where you are will be cold and windy with very little sun... it all depends, but tell them not to jump in with both feet first, chill, have a look about check out each area during cold miserable days as well as sunny days as you'll then see what the weather is like at best and at worst... More than happy to meet them during the day for a chat as I work in Porirua...

All the best to them, it's nice here...

Her_C4
14th June 2008, 11:39
Mana / Paremata / Cambourne / Plimmerton / Pukerua Bay are all good.

and Papakowhai :msn-wink:

MIXONE
14th June 2008, 12:04

We've lived in Papakowhai for just over a year and it's a bloody good area.Great schools and with the police college at the bottom of the hill probably one of the safest places to live in the region.Property prices are a bit steep but there are bargains to be had because of the market slowdown.Far better weather than both Wellington and the Hutt Valley too.

Shadows
14th June 2008, 12:19

We've lived in Papakowhai for just over a year and it's a bloody good area.Great schools and with the police college at the bottom of the hill probably one of the safest places to live in the region.Property prices are a bit steep but there are bargains to be had because of the market slowdown.Far better weather than both Wellington and the Hutt Valley too.

Oh yeah. I forgot Papakowhai. That ruined our view on the other side. Not a bad place either, but.

martybabe
14th June 2008, 12:43
That's brilliant thanks for your help folks, never been let down on here when ya need to know somat.

Nasty, that's great thanx lovely we'll give you a ring later, hope you can understand northen pom. :rolleyes:

mashman
14th June 2008, 15:56
hope you can understand northen pom. :rolleyes:

Conference me in and i'll translate as I'm a northern Pom... Can translate Geordie, Brummie, Scots and anywhere down to the Watford gap... just don't make me delve into my Welsh side...

Nasty
14th June 2008, 16:08
That's brilliant thanks for your help folks, never been let down on here when ya need to know somat.

Nasty, that's great thanx lovely we'll give you a ring later, hope you can understand northen pom. :rolleyes:

I work in a multi national team so should be a problem ;)

martybabe
14th June 2008, 16:11
Conference me in and I'll translate as I'm a northern Pom... Can translate Geordie, Brummie, Scots and anywhere down to the Watford gap... just don't make me delve into my Welsh side...

:laugh::laugh: He's a good Geordie mate and I'm a brummie, we needed a professional translator when we first met, I can get 90% now but I think the folk of the Welly region are in for a good dose of mutual misunderstanding. :laugh:

mashman
14th June 2008, 16:36
:laugh::laugh: He's a good Geordie mate and I'm a brummie, we needed a professional translator when we first met, I can get 90% now but I think the folk of the Welly region are in for a good dose of mutual misunderstanding. :laugh:

Amya Marty... My Grandad and one of my best post school mates where Geordies. Whilst Geordies actually speak english, instead of the you brummies making words up of your own (greeting Amya - retort Ar, best mate in Glasgow was a brummie and a complete pissead... boing boing baggies fan no less), the language barrier breaks down even further in relation to the amount of beer also being consumed... I consider myself fully fluent in both sober, pissed and utterly shitfaced Geordie, Brummie and Scots... Moi, je suis le Scouser... I'm sure he'll love it here, lovely breed of human the Geordie and I look forward to hearing about his first city night out when it's 4am and he's trying to order a pint and noone can understand a feckin word he's sayin...

Nasty
14th June 2008, 16:48
Ya call that an accent ... not likely .. I understood every word she said ... :)

Lovely people I am sure they will be a asset to any area they choose to live :)

martybabe
14th June 2008, 18:09
Ya call that an accent ... not likely .. I understood every word she said ... :)

Lovely people I am sure they will be a asset to any area they choose to live :)

That was her posh voice :laugh: you should hear her when shes had a few sherry's, It's like words but not as you'd know em. :rolleyes:

You my sweetness are lovely people.Thank you so much for your help. :niceone:

Clivoris
14th June 2008, 18:41
Hope you told them to look out for that bad bastard on the Aprilia in Titahi Bay:lol:
Porirua is an awesome city (but I grew up in Hastings) and like anywhere else you do the best to rent or buy where you can afford.

mashman
14th June 2008, 22:11
Hope you told them to look out for that bad bastard on the Aprilia in Titahi Bay:lol:
Porirua is an awesome city (but I grew up in Hastings) and like anywhere else you do the best to rent or buy where you can afford.

You mean the guy on the old mans RSV... :scooter:

Clivoris
15th June 2008, 19:22
You mean the guy on the old mans RSV... :scooter:

;)That's the one. So mean he can ride an old mans bike. So bad that George Thoroughgood (sp?) was inspired.

martybabe
4th July 2008, 18:22
Just an update for those of you that kindly took an interest my mate and his family.

They ended up in Paraparaumu ? move into a nice house on Monday, starts work Tuesdy and the kids are both in good schools so they're sweet as.

Thanks again for your help kind peeps. see ya, mart. :niceone:

vfxdog
6th July 2008, 04:12
Good place for the kids to grow up.

Hawkeye
6th July 2008, 04:27

Another geordie in the area eh! Where abouts in god's country is he from?

martybabe
6th July 2008, 09:11
Another geordie in the area eh! Where abouts in god's country is he from?

I think it's whitley bay? Dunno for sure, never been to the perma frost region meself. :msn-wink: