PDA

View Full Version : Consequence of a careless driving conviction

mowgli
14th June 2008, 20:31
Okay, I tried to search for an answer but it seems the terms 'careless' and 'driving' are a bit too common to be useful.

Suppose a person is convicted by a court of careless driving. Aside from the direct penalties that may be applied (fines, court costs, disqualification, etc) what other follow on (read: bite you in the ass) consequences are there? Obviously insurance folk will be interested but who else?

The Pastor
14th June 2008, 20:34
ive had a couple, nothing really major think i get charged a bit more in excess but thats no biggie :D

Matt_TG
14th June 2008, 20:49
Maybe issues when hiring a car and you may have to disclose it to an employer if using a company vehicle (could make the difference in getting a job that involves a lot of travel).

If you've been convicted you will have to disclose it when applying for insurance and making a claim ... whether it's vehicle, bike, boat, house or contents.

Also when applying for jobs you may be asked if you have any convictions.

At the end of the day if you have a conviction you're a criminal. Maybe not a 'ard crim, but a crim. Enjoy the status.

nallac
14th June 2008, 21:16
mine were so long ago that they don't mean shit any more.

but back then they bumped up the price of insurance.

Pedrostt500
14th June 2008, 21:20
Maybe issues when hiring a car and you may have to disclose it to an employer if using a company vehicle (could make the difference in getting a job that involves a lot of travel).

If you've been convicted you will have to disclose it when applying for insurance and making a claim ... whether it's vehicle, bike, boat, house or contents.

Also when applying for jobs you may be asked if you have any convictions.

At the end of the day if you have a conviction you're a criminal. Maybe not a 'ard crim, but a crim. Enjoy the status.
Umm get a life.
any future employer who is going to get upset because you have had a driving conviction, particurly one that was done along time ago, is probably not worth working for.

FJRider
14th June 2008, 21:27
Okay, I tried to search for an answer but it seems the terms 'careless' and 'driving' are a bit too common to be useful.

Suppose a person is convicted by a court of careless driving. Aside from the direct penalties that may be applied (fines, court costs, disqualification, etc) what other follow on (read: bite you in the ass) consequences are there? Obviously insurance folk will be interested but who else?

Some overseas countries do not allow entry to those with a(any) court conviction.

KiwiRat
14th June 2008, 21:54

I am a bad man. A very bad man. My employer knows this.

Still doesn't stop me pulling in $100K + overtime without breaking into a sweat.

How much of a wally behind the wheel I am has nothing to do with how competent I am at carrying out the job for which I am employed.

On the other hand, if I drove for a living I would be screwed.

But I don't, so......... :bleh:

Jog on.

Matt_TG
14th June 2008, 22:38
Umm get a life.
any future employer who is going to get upset because you have had a driving conviction, particurly one that was done along time ago, is probably not worth working for.

I have a life thanks :)

I was just thinking of times you could have to disclose any convictions, as was asked in the original post. That's usually a question on an employment application, that's all.

Like another poster said, an employer can look at whether the conviction's relevant to the job, and all's good.

Ixion
14th June 2008, 22:41
I have a life thanks :)

Do you need it ? Would you be interested in selling, I am trying to collect them.

sefer
15th June 2008, 01:54
Interesting. I was done for dangrous (quite some time ago now), but it doesn't show up on my covictions (full disclosure). I though traffic offences didn't anyway, only criminal, therefore cannot effect any visas. Frankly if your on a NZ passport there are very few countries you can't just walk into and get tourist visa anyway.

CookMySock
15th June 2008, 06:45
IHow much of a wally behind the wheel I am has nothing to do with how competent I am at carrying out the job for which I am employed.Sure, but being an ass in a motor vehicle reflects really badly on your boss' business (not your problem yeah I know), and if you break his work wagon he has to pay for it, so while you're in the clear spare a thought for those you cause consequences for. Maybe he can't get anyone to do the job better so you can do what you choose, but bosses hate being screwed like this.

Don't be an ass in a work vehicle. I would employ someone with a recent driving conviction, but they would be on final final warning before they drove out the gate. Work vehicles are not for your entertainment.

DB

BiK3RChiK
15th June 2008, 08:22
Umm get a life.

Pedro, As an employer, I'm not interested in convictions from forever ago... I do want to know if any of my prospective employees have had any driving convictions in the past 10 years though! Why? Because I learnt the hard way that if an employee has had 2 drink driving convictions in the past 10 years and gets stopped again for DIC, it means they automatically lose their licence for 1 year, even if the first conviction was 9 years and 3 months ago! All the hassle associated with an incident like this mean it isn't worth it for me to employ someone who falls into this category. So, yes, I ask, I check, and if that is a prospective employee, then the answer is.. get a job elsewhere!

Pedrostt500
15th June 2008, 08:54
Pedro, As an employer, I'm not interested in convictions from forever ago... I do want to know if any of my prospective employees have had any driving convictions in the past 10 years though! Why? Because I learnt the hard way that if an employee has had 2 drink driving convictions in the past 10 years and gets stopped again for DIC, it means they automatically lose their licence for 1 year, even if the first conviction was 9 years and 3 months ago! All the hassle associated with an incident like this mean it isn't worth it for me to employ someone who falls into this category. So, yes, I ask, I check, and if that is a prospective employee, then the answer is.. get a job elsewhere!

that is your perogative as an employer, and yes it is wise on your part to check that a future employee is not going to be detrimental to your busness.
for some of us who have been through a young and stupid phase of life, and have learned the errors of our ways, at what point would a historic driving conviction become regarded as a non event, after a period of holding a clean licence, 5, 10 , 15, 20 years. yes I understand that there are jobs where an absolute clean drivers licence is required, but for most of us driving is not a main component of the employment we keep, and if I was to be questioned hard about a driving conviction of 20 years ago I would be asking myself is this an employer I realy want to work for, particurly if the job does not have a major driving component.

Nasty
15th June 2008, 08:58
A conviction of Drink Driving is not a driving conviction is a consequence of breaking the law. There is no such thing as a driving conviction - its a conviction or it is not.

KiwiRat
15th June 2008, 09:09
Sure, but being an ass in a motor vehicle reflects really badly on your boss' business (not your problem yeah I know), and if you break his work wagon he has to pay for it, so while you're in the clear spare a thought for those you cause consequences for. Maybe he can't get anyone to do the job better so you can do what you choose, but bosses hate being screwed like this.

Don't be an ass in a work vehicle. I would employ someone with a recent driving conviction, but they would be on final final warning before they drove out the gate. Work vehicles are not for your entertainment.

DB

Absolutely right there DB. I didn't make myself 100% clear. I was talking about my behaviour whilst driving private vehicles.

When in a company vehicle I am concsious of the fact that I'm acting as a representative of my employer, and drive accordingly.

Unfortunately in the past I have neglected to carry that attitude over to my own vehicles, and have been punished accordingly, and deserved it.

I have, however, matured a bit and learned from those experiences. Try living rurally, having no licence, and having to be dropped off at work for a year. I did, and it sucked big time. No more dangerous driving for this boy.

Matt_TG
15th June 2008, 09:12
Nasty's right, you may have been done for driving offences but not been to court. If you go to court and are convicted then it's on your criminal record. That's what I was referring to.

Ixion, how much do you buy souls for? Enough to get me a new bike??!! :devil2:

sinfull
15th June 2008, 09:19
Driving convictions do not stop ya getting into other countries !
Careless driving is jack diddly Rob, ask EVERY person who's ever had an accident and been classed as being at fault ! Ummmm could be a large pecentage of NZ drivers here !
Have had a careless charge b4 (not through and accident but rather a cop in a booze ambo saw some overtaking i was doing on the bike some yrs back) $150 fine and costs, no demerits, no loss of licence, no three strikes your out !
I've never had to disclose my driving records unless its for a driving job or insurance companies !
Employers (Ok Bikerchick may worry over driving convictions here) are more concerened with criminal convictions ie theft !
And being a driver/operator I have diclosed them a few times and it's never hampered me in getting any jobs !
Don't sweat the little things mate ! Think your employer would be more concerned with your time out of the seat here !

geoffm
15th June 2008, 09:29
The Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act 2004 has a bearing on this:
http://www.justice.govt.nz/pubs/other/2004/clean-slate/english.html

BiK3RChiK
15th June 2008, 16:11
I ask about all convictions, not just driving ones, as my employees drive my work vehicles which are worth a considerable amount of money. I want to know about any convictions but am especially interested in driving convictions in the past 10 years and any theft convictions. I concede that most people, as they 'mature', learn from their past mistakes. However, there are those that don't, and it is these people I wish to avoid employing.

If a prospective employee chose to not tell me about any convictions and I 'discovered' it after the fact, I'd probably not employ that person. However, if they said to me at an interview, 'yes, I have a dangerous driving conviction (or whatever) from 7 years ago when I was a hoon, but haven't had any incident since', then I think if they fit the bill for the job, I'd look at employing them.

I recommend full disclosure, and if you truly are responsible now and have 'reformed' then any prospective employer should see that, and take that into consideration.

Ixion
15th June 2008, 16:38
Ixion, how much do you buy souls for? Enough to get me a new bike??!! :devil2:

Depends on what nick it's in. Mint condition souls are rare as nowadays, but the battered clapped out junkers you see all around are pretty worthless.

mouldy
16th June 2008, 14:41
Interesting. I was done for dangrous (quite some time ago now), but it doesn't show up on my covictions (full disclosure). I though traffic offences didn't anyway, only criminal, therefore cannot effect any visas. Frankly if your on a NZ passport there are very few countries you can't just walk into and get tourist visa anyway.
I have numerous careless , dangerous , reckless ,failing to stop etc convictions BUT if a form asks whether I have any criminal convictions I tick the no box because I consider these traffic offences rather than criminal .

KiwiRat
16th June 2008, 14:54
I have numerous careless , dangerous , reckless ,failing to stop etc convictions BUT if a form asks whether I have any criminal convictions I tick the no box because I consider these traffic offences rather than criminal .

Yeah, that's pretty much how I view them too.