PDA

View Full Version : FXR build

Pumba
15th June 2008, 22:37
Ok, after a shit morning on saturday, with my RX running like a pig (but that is a whole nother thread) I decide to throw it in the corner of the shed and pull out the damaged FXR that I intended to be a bit more of a longer term project.

Anyway, I am replacing the front forks with RG150 forks, sorted.

As far as the wheels are concerned I have the choice of using the standard FXR front OR I do have a set of FZR rims sitting in the shed that will obviously take more work to graft on. From some of you guys that race the FXR what would be your thoughts? Would using the FZR rims be actually gaining anything? Or can you get a suitable selection of tyres that fit on to the FXR rims?

That is about it for the moment. I will use this thread to track my progress, however fast or slow that may be. Here are some photos. Some of when I first piked it up, and some of it in the shed today.

koba
15th June 2008, 22:47
Or can you get a suitable selection of tyres that fit on to the FXR rims?

Dunlop TT900
Bridgestone BT39

they are the two decent tyres that are good for the Rg150s, should fit FXR rims (prob same size!)
If it is straight and round you may aswell use it, better check for that tho by the look of those pics. also check the axle.

Buddha#81
16th June 2008, 07:12
have a look through this http://www.visordown.co.nz/go/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16 or this http://www.visordown.co.nz/go/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=402 its the same project your starting. GSX250R wheels are a easy fit, but if you stay with the FXR rims 125GP front slicks front and rear are the best value for money.

Pumba
16th June 2008, 12:52
If it is straight and round you may aswell use it, better check for that tho by the look of those pics. also check the axle.

As far as I can tell so far the rim is ok (it is still holding air which is a good sign) but I think I will run it down the road to the local tyre shop and they can confirm. The axle is fine.

Dunlop TT900
Bridgestone BT39

but if you stay with the FXR rims 125GP front slicks front and rear are the best value for money.

Another thing that I have frequently thought about, and the few people I have discussed it with have not come up with any definitive answer is that given that the slicks people tend to use on the buckets are second hand and could have been sitting a while would you not be better off getting some fresh good road sport tyres that allow you to get the heat into them quicker? (unless you are using warmers, but that discussion is in another thread)

koba
16th June 2008, 12:53
As far as I can tell so far the rim is ok (it is still holding air which is a good sign) but I think I will run it down the road to the local tyre shop and they can confirm. The axle is fine.

Another thing that I have frequently thought about, and the few people I have discussed it with have not come up with any definitive answer is that given that the slicks people tend to use on the buckets are second hand and could have been sitting a while would you not be better off getting some fresh good road sport tyres that allow you to get the heat into them quicker? (unless you are using warmers, but that discussion is in another thread)

I doesn't even matter at our track....

F5 Dave
16th June 2008, 17:02
Nah, slicks will be better than anything else except when wet & even then that's debatable as slicks can be good until there are puddles.

My front slick on my 50 was 10yrs old at the GP & it didn't slow me down so I could tell.

stanko
16th June 2008, 18:22
Just stick the stock front wheel back in, the caliper is the same as the RG one so you will have awesome brakes again, OK maybe they wernt awesome enough last time , but in bucket racing they only make you go slower anyway

Swapping whhels can be good but usually you need to have a lathe or get somebody to help making bits and it can make a simple project take forever

gav
16th June 2008, 18:24
Yeah, obviously it didn't rain hard enough at BOB to slow Bren down on his slick shod FXR, aye F5Dave!?

Kickaha
16th June 2008, 18:57
Yeah, obviously it didn't rain hard enough at BOB to slow Bren down on his slick shod FXR, aye F5Dave!?

How many bikes in the top ten weren't on slicks?

The only thing I found on the FXR with the wider wheels was the bike felt more stable and didn't move around as much when pushing it hard through the corners

F5 Dave
17th June 2008, 09:15
Actually I meant at the Auckland GP, but same point yeah. Same tyres too come to it.

At the Auckland track he will need good brakes, at least in counter-clockwise direction.

SHELRACING
17th June 2008, 11:54
I used an FXR rim on the rear of mine, you have to change the wheel bearings otherwise you FX rear axle wont fit, but that only cost me 20 bucks. You can use the original rear brake caliper, but just need to make some spacers, and check your wheel alignment. Now you can fit a used RS tyre '115' on the back, awesome.

Keep the original front wheel but you need to get it sealed, then you can loose the tube, tubes being a right pain in the ass as you know. Don't let the bike shop tell you it can't be done cos cycletreads in Auckland sealed my rims. I think they changed the valves and used some top secrect sealing gloop on the rim. Again used RS race tyes are the shit if you can get them.

If you got a spare $600 go for a new set of Dunlop slicks :lol:

I have raised my pegs about 25mm, but can still get my knee down and grind the pegs. Them Dunlop slicks stick like shit to a blanket. I've had the back step out a couple of times, but think that's the limitation of the rear shock.

Steve

Pumba
17th June 2008, 12:54
I used an FXR rim on the rear of mine, you have to change the wheel bearings otherwise you FX rear axle wont fit, but that only cost me 20 bucks

I think you might have a typo in there Steve, GSX rim maybe?

If you got a spare $600 go for a new set of Dunlop slicks :lol:

Like I people say with realitive frequency in the bucket section of this forum, piss off that is more than the bike cost me.

I have raised my pegs about 25mm, but can still get my knee down and grind the pegs.

Yea realised I would need to raise them, just worrying about getting the front end sorted at the moment.

Ok I will stick with the standard front wheel, easy.

Now, were do all you guys track down your second hand slicks from?

Pumba
17th June 2008, 12:59
At the Auckland track he will need good brakes, at least in counter-clockwise direction.

Shit stopping:shit: best way to do that I have so far found is to throw the bike away and sit down in the middle of the track, doesnt really do a hell of a lot for my lap time though:blink:

FROSTY
17th June 2008, 13:29
Actually I meant at the Auckland GP, but same point yeah. Same tyres too come to it.

NAAHH--thats what the pits exit is for innit?

F5 Dave
17th June 2008, 18:29
I was eyeing up that route in the F5GP when I overcooked it with the rear a foot in the air at the point I really wanted to be turning in (got too greedy trying to make up time lost waiting at the start line). Dave's son managed to lose the bike there a few laps before, but past the point where you can go straight ahead.

Mrs Busa Pete
20th July 2008, 14:29
[QUOTE=Pumba;1608725]Ok, after a shit morning on saturday, with my RX running like a pig
how was the afternoon

Mrs Busa Pete
20th July 2008, 14:35
more pics from this morning the front gard lokes like a match on the yamaha

Pumba
20th July 2008, 21:55
how was the afternoon

I have put up a full report here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=78133)

the front gard lokes like a match on the yamaha

Good stuff, he managed finish the front gaurd off proper not long after you guys shot off, he high sided on the sweaper in practise, bent up his gear changer and rearset on that side and didnt manage to make it to the race

Pumba
23rd February 2009, 20:28
Thought I would dredge up my old thread, with some pics.

Got a new tail piece (ok it going to need some work and I should be focussing on things like sorting the front brakes but fuck it GO THE BLING:2thumbsup).

And some exhust bling to match, shoulod be able to push a bit more gas down that pipe.

Sideways Sam
25th February 2009, 17:33
Nice......

Where did the exhaust header come from?

Pumba
25th February 2009, 19:22
Nice......

Where did the exhaust header come from?

Not sure. Picked up the whole thing off trade me for $60, figured it was worth a shot.

Pumba
29th March 2009, 14:58
Ok been busy in the shed again this weekend with another exhaust and the grinder (and once I heal I will have the scars to prove it:doh:)

Still intend to use the GSXR tail piece but it mite take a bit more work than I thought and seing as I have been bumped to A grade I have more things to worry bout.

Thanks for the exhaust Steve it fit pretty good given it was designed for the delta.

Mrs Busa Pete
29th March 2009, 15:25
Ok been busy in the shed again this weekend with another exhaust and the grinder (and once I heal I will have the scars to prove it:doh:)

Still intend to use the GSXR tail piece but it mite take a bit more work than I thought and seing as I have been bumped to A grade I have more things to worry bout.

Thanks for the exhaust Steve it fit pretty good given it was designed for the delta.

Why is the wiring still there are you going to go back to a commuter.

Pumba
29th March 2009, 15:34
The wireing is a work in progress, that I started looking at today but just couldnt be arsed thinking to hard about it.

It will be done, hopefully before Easter.

hmurphy
29th March 2009, 15:51
Woah! I like what you have done to your FXR! That exhaust looks awesome! I will have to do the same to mine!

Pumba
5th April 2009, 20:08
Ok everything is done and ready for next weekend, including some new nylon track protection.

Only issue I had was that cutting up the rear fairing and the extra parts of the frame I had no were to attach the numbers to. Sotaht took a bit of thinking.

Yow Ling
5th April 2009, 20:42
Looks great, Is there any adjustment left in your gear linkage, it just looks like on downchanges there isnt much leverage on the lever on the spline more like pulling on the lever than cranking the shaft around. a few guys down here had a few problems especially if you run without the cover

Pumba
5th April 2009, 20:53
No not a whole heap more.

And yea I am familiar with the gear leaver shaft issues you guys have had down there. Its one of the main reasons I put the sprocket cover back on when I did the sprocket change.