PDA

View Full Version : Forward Controls for Virago VX1100

BRIANO
4th January 2005, 13:23
We joined a KB group and clocked up 500ks around Waikato which was a brilliant day.....butt....

My butt was aching afterwards.

Has anyone fitted forward control foot pegs on a VX1100 (mine 1992) and did it make any difference to the lower back pain - butt ache.

Has someone fitted these and if so where did you get them? Any help appreciated.

Riff Raff
4th January 2005, 13:59
We joined a KB group and clocked up 500ks around Waikato which was a brilliant day.....butt....

I suffered terrible lower back pain for months, then swapped my cordura pants for draggin jeans and since then I've had no back pain. All I can think was the pants had been restricting my movements. Even really long hauls now are very comfortable.

Motu
4th January 2005, 15:40
I thought the 1100 Virago's all had forward controls - at least on the one I rode I couldn't find where to hang my feet,they were way forward.

Blakamin
4th January 2005, 15:50
I thought the 1100 Virago's all had forward controls - at least on the one I rode I couldn't find where to hang my feet,they were way forward.
last time I rode a cruiser, everytime I put my feet on something, it was the end of the side-stand..... no wonder I had problems changin gear!

Hitcher
4th January 2005, 17:03
Get yourself a sheepskin or massage Regaine™ into your arse...

Jackrat
4th January 2005, 17:22
Putting hiway pegs or forward controls on your bike will only incress the pressure on both your butt and your lower back.
Try putting drag bars or another low type of bar on the bike,that will make more difference to both butt an back pain than anything else you can do.
Forward controls will cripple you.
Another thing is to make sure your pants are a loose fit,Tight looks good but cuts off blood flow under the skin like a pressure bandage would.End result,sore arse.

FROSTY
4th January 2005, 22:38
ill second the bars and tight trou bit -make the bike fit ya better.

jrandom
5th January 2005, 05:00
Wot Jackrat said. Forward pegs will munt your back. The pain you have *already* is because all your weight is on your arse, and your spine is slightly curved forward. Feet dangling right out in front of you will put even *more* weight on your butt and force you to curve your back even worserer.

If you mod your bike, or get another one, so that you sit with proper back posture and get some weight on your feet, your discomfort will be much reduced.

Of course, this implies moving away from riding in the 'cruiser' position, but it's so damned silly-looking anyway :p

BRIANO
6th January 2005, 06:49
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a look around for the drag bars (that gets a few interesting sites on a google search). Failing that I'll look at a different bike. Cheers.

crashe
6th January 2005, 08:36
I think we all had sore butts after that ride.... 529km for me too.
If I know its really gonna be a fine day I put on the sheepskin on the seat.... and that helps soften the blow to the tush alot...
but that day I didnt as the weather lately has been so unpredicable...lol
and it wont be nice sitting on wet sheepskin...

I found standing up on the back pegs and then stretching forwards and doing a tush swing helps relieve the pressure for a while, but on that day you couldnt as you had Mary on the back.

As I was doing the follow up to all the other riders, I didnt get the chance to get off the bike to stretch either... (except when we stopped for a drink or lunch) so I didnt get much relief at all except the standing up and stretching.

BRIANO
6th January 2005, 22:36
Thanks crashe. That was a great day and amazing country. I had a look at the bike today and a straighter bar will put my weight forward rather than on the tail bone. We'll see, but keen to get out there and do it all again.

crashe
7th January 2005, 10:03
But lets make it a really sunny day.... then I can put my sheepskin on the bike... lol.

Waylander
30th January 2005, 00:42
Drag bars on a Virago? That should look interesting let me know how that turns out and when yall do the ride. I'de like to join if that would be cool.

Tarzan
31st January 2005, 08:55

Has anyone fitted forward control foot pegs on a VX1100 (mine 1992) and did it make any difference to the lower back pain - butt ache.

Has someone fitted these and if so where did you get them? Any help appreciated.
I have got forward controls on my XV1100, and it does make an improvement on your back. I replaced the standard handlebars with "T" style bars as well, which give a more chopper, and less cruiser riding position.

The bars do seem to put you in a better position, but the biggest improvement was in cornering. The down side to the improved cornering is that I now keep grounding the forward pegs. I don't have a picture on my laptop, but I can send you one when I get back to the UK if you want to have a look before you decide.

There is always a guy selling forwards on EBAY in the UK, or have a look on www.vsoc.org.uk for the for sale board.

:2thumbsup