PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung GTR250

judd18
18th June 2008, 11:24
I have been looking at a few bikes now and i have decided on a Hyosung GTR250. I have searched the web and forums for any mechanical faults they usually have so far i have found they are pretty gutless for a 250 and need a lot of revs to get going, their break pads wear out pretty quickly and apart from that their pretty good. Could any wise members please shed some light on how mechanicaly sound(life in KM,usual problems etc...) these bikes are and anythink useful you may have to share.

cheers

karmakillernz
18th June 2008, 13:06
I've had a pretty good run so far on my 2007 GT250R. I've done around 7500km since I got it a year ago and I've only had one problem - the battery died so it was replaced under warranty. Also my brake pads are fine after 7500km and shouldn't need replacing for a while yet.

They're not actually as gutless as a lot of people think. I'm around 6'3", 100kg and it carries me around quite nicely. In-fact, it seems to have opened up a bit within the last 1000km and seems to be a bit gruntier, but that could just be me.

I mean sure, any 600cc+ will kick it's ass, but it only takes me a couple seconds longer to hit the speed limit (and then some) so it's not really a big deal.

All in all I think they're a damn good bike and well worth it. So long as you like the feel of riding it (sit on it, test ride it if you can) you should be happy with it.

CookMySock
18th June 2008, 13:08
We have three of them. The kickstand switch is been unreliable on one of them. The other two I have never put a spanner on.

"fast" is not the point of the GT250R. If you really have to have "fast" then get a bigger bike and get a GDLS exemption to ride it.

DB

disenfranchised
18th June 2008, 13:17
My '06 GT250 (Naked one) has been running fine for almost 2 years now.
Haven't had any mechanical problems.
Replaced the brake pads at the 8000k service...Dunno if that's faster wear than normal. Brakes have never felt particularly strong, but have no trouble stopping the bike.
Replaced the chain around 9000K's after a warrant suggested it...which I believe is fairly short lifespan...but then I'm a n00b who probably never kept the chain clean enough, tensioned correctly etc...

I wouldn't say it's gutless.
Rev wise I find it better than my wifes ZZR...you get usable power around 5krpm...with it opening up around 7k, while the ZZR needed 7k for usable power, and opened up around 9k...I think I'm just more suited to low end torque.

The shop where I get my services done says the engines are so reliable that they push the first valve clearance check out to the second major service...where they normally do it on your first.

Bend-it
18th June 2008, 14:00
I would agree with the gutless part. Test rode one (not the r though) before buying my 1st 250 and it was fun (for someone who hadn't ridden anything faster), but I had the throttle wide open from start to the speed limit within 15 mins. It was still putting a smile on my face then (15 mins from first mount), but I didn't think it would still do so 2 weeks later.

Ended up with a 250 bandit, tons more power and good resale as well. :)

NOMIS
18th June 2008, 14:15
I mean sure, any 600cc+ will kick it's ass,

And any other good 250.

NOMIS
18th June 2008, 14:21
Seriously dude.. THIS NOT A DIG AT HYOS

Ride more than one. Hyos are gutless dont care what any one says. YEs they may suit you and the anyone who own's one but at the end of the day they are underpowerd . Im sure the people who own em or who have love em, and good on them. But you should be looking at all 250's

Sorry hyo owners I used to want one till I rode one to.

Roki_nz
18th June 2008, 14:52

Ride more than one. Hyos are gutless dont care what any one says. YEs they may suit you and the anyone who own's one but at the end of the day they are underpowerd . Im sure the people who own em or who have love em, and good on them. But you should be looking at all 250's

Sorry hyo owners I used to want one till I rode one to.

What would you suggest then in a simlar price range?

Ragingrob
18th June 2008, 15:06
What would you suggest then in a simlar price range?

Bandits, hornets, VTRs, GPXs. If you're fine with a slightly older bike, then CBRs and ZXRs.

Are you looking at the Hyo because of your size? Bandits and hornets and VTRs are all more comfortable for the larger rider than the faired sports bikes, and they have more power than the Hyo.

Dakara
18th June 2008, 15:21
They Hyo's aren't gutless, they just lack the acceleration of the older 2 strokes, but if it's a "Learner Bike" as such then who cares. It will go 100+ no problem, fine on the open road, comfortable for commuting and has that "Big bike" feel to it making progressing onto a 600 rather seamless (apart from the throttle control ;))

My 08 GT250R has served me well, and In the past 8 months I've had no problems at all but replaced the tyres with a set of Pirelli Diablo's for better open road and wet road performance.

Will be moving up to 600 shortly, and trading in the Hyo for just under $6k... ($7,395 new), which I'm more than happy with.

NOMIS
19th June 2008, 09:03
They Hyo's aren't gutless, they just lack the acceleration of the older 2 strokes, but if it's a "Learner Bike" as such then who cares. It will go 100+ no problem, fine on the open road, comfortable for commuting and has that "Big bike" feel to it making progressing onto a 600 rather seamless (apart from the throttle control ;))

My 08 GT250R has served me well, and In the past 8 months I've had no problems at all but replaced the tyres with a set of Pirelli Diablo's for better open road and wet road performance.

Will be moving up to 600 shortly, and trading in the Hyo for just under $6k... ($7,395 new), which I'm more than happy with.

I rekon they gutless, you riden anything else? Seriously my horent is so much more comfortable , quicker , cooler ( biased ) but so are cbr's zx'rs ect

Dakara
19th June 2008, 09:17
I rekon they gutless, you riden anything else? Seriously my horent is so much more comfortable , quicker , cooler ( biased ) but so are cbr's zx'rs ect

ZZR250, GN125/250, CBR600RR, ZX6R

Depends how you define Gutless, if you wanna compare Apples with Oranges then yea sure they are. The older 2 strokes outpower it sure, but they aren't going to be Learner legal much longer. So in terms of a Learner bike, I don't think it is.

Just because other bikes are quicker doesn't make it gutless... has no problem at open road speeds, can maintain about 120 uphill and mines maxed out at 163kmph (took the whole bombay straight to get there :rolleyes:).

Ragingrob
19th June 2008, 10:01
ZZR250, GN125/250, CBR600RR, ZX6R

Depends how you define Gutless, if you wanna compare Apples with Oranges then yea sure they are. The older 2 strokes outpower it sure, but they aren't going to be Learner legal much longer. So in terms of a Learner bike, I don't think it is.

Just because other bikes are quicker doesn't make it gutless... has no problem at open road speeds, can maintain about 120 uphill and mines maxed out at 163kmph (took the whole bombay straight to get there :rolleyes:).

What's all this about older 2 strokes? Noone here has mentioned Aprilia's or RGV250s or anything. Obviously they would be blindingly faster than the Hyo.

The older 4 strokes are easily quicker than it as well which are the CBR's and ZXRs etc, and they're still gonna be learner legal.

The Hyo is a bigger, heavier bike, with less ponies.

NOMIS
19th June 2008, 10:13
The Hyo is a bigger, heavier bike, with less ponies.

Thats exactly what im trying to say..

What are u on about Dakar? If you actually rode something else besides a hyo you would be saying the sane, yes sure people enjoy them and thats cool no problems Im just saying I think for the price tag of the bike you don't get much for you $$$ I think the build quality isnt the best either I fely like i was wearing imitation of something expensive.. Just wasnt me . and before that I really had my heart set on one.

Dakara
19th June 2008, 18:47
Thats exactly what im trying to say..

What are u on about Dakar? If you actually rode something else besides a hyo

If you read my previous post replying to your last question asking If I'd ridden any other bikes you'd see that I have....

My whole point being, that just because other bikes are faster/more powerful doesn't make the Hyo gutless.

Comparing it to Aviation (hey I'm a Pilot), the latest model engine on a Boeing 747-400 can output roughly 60,000lb's of Thrust. Whereas a Boeing 777 Engine can output up to about 125,000lb's of thrust! Does that make the 747-400 gutless? Or just make the 777 better? :scooter:

So yea in terms of road riding, it does the job just fine....

And as for the price tag, I was happy to pay what I did. Prefer a new bike than a 15 year old one for not much less.... and I don't like naked

judd18
19th June 2008, 20:24
wow thanks for the input so far really appreciate it

cheers

MidnightMike
19th June 2008, 20:58
And any other good 250.

Good?, oh, I see. So good mean fast does it?

Jump on a 600 bro, your 250 will feel like a scooter. Most 250's are underpowered, thats just the way they are. (Bar the 2 smokers) But its that exact reason why they make such good learner bikes. Each has their own merits. The hornet you have to rev to 10 million RPM to get anywhere but thats what some people like, its exciting, and thats cool. Then theres the twins like the Hyo's/GSX's/GPX's etc. which dont have that kick in the power like the fours but have much more usuable power through the mid-range and bottom end, making them better around town/commuting etc and you can afford to be lazy with your gear changes. Its just like you said, it may suit some people. But comparing them to your hornet and making it seem like its not underpowered is hilarious. Quite like what there selling for on trademe and in the dealerships.

Are you looking at the Hyo because of your size? Bandits and hornets and VTRs are all more comfortable for the larger rider than the faired sports bikes, and they have more power than the Hyo.

Bandits and VTR's are tiny. You want a big boys two-fiddy then get a Hyo, a GSX250 or a Hornet.

McJim
19th June 2008, 21:02
You should do a search on threads for this subject. When I was looking for a 250 learner I did tons of research and found out some of the basic hp spec.

Here's an indication of what I discovered. I went for a VTR250 but then I'm only 6'1". Speed was not on my agenda but I found myself tired of the bike after 6 months with 6 months of restricted licence still to go. I wouldn't get an ancient thrashed 4 cylinder either.

Get a Hyosung if you want but be prepared to take some shit for owning it.

The chart below shows why many people refer to it as gutless.

325rocket
19th June 2008, 21:16

shit, the bandit does have a fair bit more power

Ragingrob
19th June 2008, 21:46
Wow great chart mate! I take the phrase "Hyo's are gutless" to just point out their power to weight/size ratio.

Midnight Mike - The difference ratio of HP between a Hyo and ZXR = About 1.57. Plus the ZXR weighs less.

The difference ratio of HP between a ZXR and SV650 = About 1.59. Plus the SV weighs more.

So the difference is actually quite astounding! Riding a 600 makes 250s feel like scooters, and with these ratios riding a ZXR would make a Hyo feel like a scooter.

Dakara
19th June 2008, 23:01

Jump on a 600 bro, your 250 will feel like a scooter. Most 250's are underpowered, thats just the way they are. (Bar the 2 smokers) But its that exact reason why they make such good learner bikes. Each has their own merits. The hornet you have to rev to 10 million RPM to get anywhere but thats what some people like, its exciting, and thats cool. Then theres the twins like the Hyo's/GSX's/GPX's etc. which dont have that kick in the power like the fours but have much more usuable power through the mid-range and bottom end, making them better around town/commuting etc and you can afford to be lazy with your gear changes. Its just like you said, it may suit some people. But comparing them to your hornet and making it seem like its not underpowered is hilarious. Quite like what there selling for on trademe and in the dealerships.

Bandits and VTR's are tiny. You want a big boys two-fiddy then get a Hyo, a GSX250 or a Hornet.

+1

The difference between a Hyo and a ZXR250 is 16hp.... generally the 600CC supersports are 110-120 HP and weigh pretty much the same as the 250's

judd18
20th June 2008, 08:56
well looking at the figures it doesn't bother me that its pretty gutless. I have never ridden a road bike before and i know a couple of expierence mature riders that say start with something not to quick which sounds fair cuz ill probably get carried away and end up flying off a big ass hill as i will be riding the naiper gisborne road which is savage but real windy :D

portokiwi
20th June 2008, 09:19
:shit: i have a 900cc and I get passed by scooters;) I am just a slow rider.
How do you keep a 900 under 60kmph????

NOMIS
20th June 2008, 09:32
You should do a search on threads for this subject. When I was looking for a 250 learner I did tons of research and found out some of the basic hp spec.

Here's an indication of what I discovered. I went for a VTR250 but then I'm only 6'1". Speed was not on my agenda but I found myself tired of the bike after 6 months with 6 months of restricted licence still to go. I wouldn't get an ancient thrashed 4 cylinder either.

Get a Hyosung if you want but be prepared to take some shit for owning it.

Where you get the chart?? the 2007 hornet figures are around 38 I think ugly as hell to, Older specd modles are meant to be 40 -42 hp depending on year, ( so ive been told from net searches )

Im not just talking about pewer of the hyo to me I absolutly loved how it looked for ages before buying a bike ( the reason most people get them ) but.... after looking at them closer and a lot the just seemed to have a cheaper feel about them if you no what i mean? then I came across my bke and the decision was a easy one,

But yes Hyosung owners love em and there no problems with that, just how people give honda owners greif I dont see anything wrong with them. good for what there made for.

NOMIS
20th June 2008, 09:36
:Punk:

Ive been on some kwaka ( motard oldschool ) 650 that was pretty stink.. I rode a 1993 gsx - r 750 and that was fast in a straight but i could throw my bike into a corner a lot better, And yes my hornet is slow as hell lol. mums GTT caldina quicker after 70kmph lol.

next bike for me 08 cbrr 600 that or a 08 R6 :Punk:

MidnightMike
20th June 2008, 15:06
Midnight Mike - The difference ratio of HP between a Hyo and ZXR = About 1.57. Plus the ZXR weighs less....

I was comparing a hyosung to a hornet 250, not a zxr. But yes, there is a noticeable difference between the two, ive ridden both the Hornet and the Hyosung GT250. If the hornets were more reasonably priced for their age (not likely these days) then I would have gone for one instead of my GSX for sure.

Ive been on some kwaka ( motard oldschool ) 650 that was pretty stink.. I rode a 1993 gsx - r 750 and that was fast in a straight but i could throw my bike into a corner a lot better, And yes my hornet is slow as hell lol. mums GTT caldina quicker after 70kmph lol.

next bike for me 08 cbrr 600 that or a 08 R6 :Punk:

Yeop two fiddys are so much more fun through the tight stuff, lean in throw the bike down shoot through and rip the throttle open again for the next one... good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDgKQuQiTYk&feature=user

NOMIS
20th June 2008, 15:16
I was comparing a hyosung to a hornet 250, not a zxr. But yes, there is a noticeable difference between the two, ive ridden both the Hornet and the Hyosung GT250. If the hornets were more reasonably priced for their age (not likely these days) then I would have gone for one instead of my GSX for sure.

Yeop two fiddys are so much more fun through the tight stuff, lean in throw the bike down shoot through and rip the throttle open again for the next one... good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDgKQuQiTYk&feature=user

I got my hornet alot cheaper than a hyosung and it only what 7 year old now 9000k when i got it, and for a few grand less than a hyo.. but yeh the older 750's and 600's like fat women .. dont know why they went so wide in the early 90's era

McJim
22nd June 2008, 11:49
Where you get the chart?? the 2007 hornet figures are around 38 I think ugly as hell to, Older specd modles are meant to be 40 -42 hp depending on year, ( so ive been told from net searches )

I wrote the chart myself to compare learner legal bikes when I was out looking for one. I had to research each bike to find the power etc. Spent 2 months before I decided on the VTR250.

Note the word 'Approximate' this is not gospel official info just a bit of a guide that's all.

FLYMO
22nd June 2008, 12:07
if ya want parts cheaper than any dealer and 1/4 the time to get them
www.richardhyosunggvgt.com
3 days from korea to nz for a lock kit and mirrors and indicator lenses
18 days fom the dealer for the mirrors and bout a $100 more expensive too

Hadley
1st July 2008, 16:19
You sound like you are pretty keen on the ol' Hyo's.
Ive had mine over a year now and the only problem Ive had is the horn stopped working one day. Was fixed at my first service.
I use mine mainly as cheap transport to and from work, and the occasional 1-2 hr long cruise.
True, they arent the fastest kid on the block, but its suits my purpose.
Check out www.korider.com if you havnt already, heaps of good info over there.
Cheers

EJT
1st July 2008, 21:34
Mate there's nothing wrong with the Hyosung. I had 15,000 relatively trouble free ks on mine in 9 months. Just get whatever you want. And don't worry about performance - you worry about that with your next bike when you have the experience. In saying that, you can still lose your license on the Hyobag.

King_Rider
5th July 2008, 09:27
I used to ride a '06 Hyosung GT250 Comet (Naked) and they are ok as a learning machine. But times have changed since I started, what with the release of the latest Kawasaki Ninja 250... For what you are paying you can get so much better and I wish I had started with a well known jap brand myself. Dont know about any of you other Hyo riders out there but I used mine everyday for commuting and I had problems with:

1) Rusting frame and exhaust system
2) Brake discs wearing out well before they should (sold my bike at 28,000 km)
3) Poor brakes
4) Faulty electrics like stand safety system and switchgear

At the end of they day if its the bike you want go for it, but dont expect it to last like one of the big four Jap brands.

Krayy
7th July 2008, 15:33
Have a think about where you want to go and what you want to do as well.

From Wairoa, you've got some great motorcycling roads within easy reach, like East Cape, Devils Elbow and if you're really adventurous, Waikaremoana.

I've ridden my VTR250 at a good clip around East Cape with no probs, and I'm a fairly "solid" chappie (actually, I'm a fat c**t). I've tried a GTR250 and it didn't feel like it had enough torquey grunt to get up the hills as quickly as the VTR.

An in line 4 will need a lot of gear shuffling to keep it hustling up the big hills around where you are, so a v-twin would be a go for lazy buggers like myself (actually you still do a lot of shuffling as opposed to a 600, but the extra torque makes relaxed riding easier).

With the big off road areas around you, I'm not sure what 250 trailies could fit the bill, but then you'd sacrifice sealed road speed and performance, but think of the fun you could have (check the MMMM adventure ride reports).

carver
19th July 2008, 18:34
these bikes are shit

NOMIS
20th July 2008, 01:50
these bikes are shit

wow u said something that actually worth reading

Eng_dave
4th November 2008, 08:21
Just bought, my first bike a Hyosung gt250(naked), apparently this means i'm now scum. Oh well, but I will say this for a learners bike its good the v twin is solid and runs well. I was looking at a Honda VTR250 but when taking it low in corners I found the foot rest to be scary close the floor, Also being a taller fella the VTR seemed rather small seat hight wise. The only thing i don't agree with is the feels cheap aspect. Thats just people, slagging it off for the sake of it and price wise its almost 1k less than other 250's. Its a good bike and the entire engine block is made in japan not Korea, same factory as Suzuki engines are made. Just my thoughts....

Tank
4th November 2008, 08:58
Just bought, my first bike a Hyosung gt250(naked), apparently this means i'm now scum. Oh well, but I will say this for a learners bike its good the v twin is solid and runs well. I was looking at a Honda VTR250 but when taking it low in corners I found the foot rest to be scary close the floor, Also being a taller fella the VTR seemed rather small seat hight wise. The only thing i don't agree with is the feels cheap aspect. Thats just people, slagging it off for the sake of it and price wise its almost 1k less than other 250's. Its a good bike and the entire engine block is made in japan not Korea, same factory as Suzuki engines are made. Just my thoughts....

Hey Eng_Dave,

Yep - you will get shit about owning a Ho'Bag - and even more shit for being English - but hey - thats life.

On here everyone gets a bashing - Harley riders, scooter scum, Honda homo's etc. I ride a V-Strom - brilliant bike - so people poke fun at the fact that it could quite possibly be one of the ugliest bikes ever made (they may be right)

Doesn't make you scum (as you said in your post) - Actions make a person scum - not their bike.

Take it with a grain of salt - its all said in humour (although this is lost on a lot of folk).

Welcome to KB, enjoy the bike.

ckai
4th November 2008, 09:18
I have been looking at a few bikes now and i have decided on a Hyosung GTR250. I have searched the web and forums for any mechanical faults they usually have so far i have found they are pretty gutless for a 250 and need a lot of revs to get going, their break pads wear out pretty quickly and apart from that their pretty good. Could any wise members please shed some light on how mechanicaly sound(life in KM,usual problems etc...) these bikes are and anythink useful you may have to share.

cheers

As you'll notice mate, this is a hot topic around here. There's a few people that have given you some real good advice. The question is, what are you after? Naked or not? Sports or not? New (near-new) or old?

If you're going to be doing some long rides you want something that will be comfortable sitting on the saddle for at least 1 hour at a time.

As mentioned before, sit on a few and see what feels right. A lot of people don't like the way the hyosung leans as much forward. I haven't riden a lot of bikes. I like sports bikes and I wanted new. My choices were GT250R or the ninja. Ninja was too small and I felt exposed. Hyosung felt spot on.

Majority of people that own them, love them. Those they have owned them and hate them now, got ones that were crap. But just like any mechanical thing, they wear, break and spit the dummy. That's why you buy new, to cover your ass.

I feel I can ride a lot better on Hyobag compared with my wifes Ninja. Yes, hers has got more power, but shit you're talking stuff all and any muppet can twist a throttle on a straight. You get a bike for the corners - so you want something that feels good on.

Remember how long you have a 250 for. I know trying on some 600's (gotta be prepared for the upgrade :)) they felt smaller than the hyosung which is good for me. The power is going to be a whole other story! :scooter:

But in my opinion, reliabilty is what I expected for the hyosung. I'm happy with it. Just like the wife is happy with the Ninja. 2 other guys had hyosungs on a ride in the weekend. I didn't hear them say they didn't like them and wise they hadn't brought one.

Research and get one that feels good one. Hope to see you riding soon :clap:

Chapter 2 haha (fark)

Eng_dave
4th November 2008, 15:35
Cheers I don't consider myself scum, But being an english person in another country, its best to beat others to calling you it. The best advice I got before getting my bike was "forget everything anyone has said to you about brands and makes. Go for what you want and feels right for you." In my case the Hyosung GT250. That was coming from a guy riding an EX isle of man TT 750 BMW mind you and that bike felt lovely to.

carver
9th November 2008, 18:36
wow u said something that actually worth reading

im over rated!

tri boy
9th November 2008, 18:50
these bikes are shit

and you being an expert on examining fecal matter up close................

Bonez
9th November 2008, 18:59
im over rated!You don't even rate.

carver
9th November 2008, 19:20
and you being an expert on examining fecal matter up close................

your the triumph owner...

blossomsowner
9th November 2008, 20:25
I've got a mate with a 2007 gtr250 and he loves it. He commutes daily through auckland on it................has ridden the north island over 4 days with mates on litre bikes and loved it.........
on the down side it is currently not running well but is probably an electrical fault........

I have ridden it and think it would be a great learner bike........you can thrash the nuts off it without worrying that it will bite back,
and it seems to handle ok once you are used to it.

on the flip side i think it feels cheap and agricultural in feel and controls compared to a new jap bike. But if you like it why not........

its a free country

at least its not honda..............