PDA

View Full Version : Triumph posts loss

Bob
5th January 2005, 00:46
Accounts for Triumph show the UK manufacturer posted a £665,000 pre-tax loss, for the year ending June 30 2004 against a profit of £4.1m over the preceding 12 month period . Good news is that turnover rose 13% at £115m.

A £1.1m operating profit in 2004 was eliminated by a £1.8m interest bill. Employee levels were cut back by 12pc to 510 staff.

Triumph’s forecast that sales and production would increase by 25pc a year for the next five years look optimistic – and would seem to rely on the success of the Rocket III, especially in the US marketplace. Given the collapse of the Dollar against Sterling, this seems unlikely.

Lets hope Triumph can turn things around – reports on the new Daytona 650 are favourable and this, rather than the Rocket, could be the key to recovery, or even survival. The sportsbike class still dominates UK sales and if Triumph could capture a decent proportion of this sector, then the future would look a lot more optimistic.

White trash
5th January 2005, 06:31
Go Triumph! :headbang: My job depends on it.... :weep:

Blakamin
5th January 2005, 08:22
do they need that many spare parts????

moko
5th January 2005, 08:52
Not as bad as it seems as they`re part of a massive organisation and the bosses project basically.They`ve had bigger losses than that,and given the tax write-offs e.t.c. then posting a loss isnt nescesarily a bad thing,something a lot of firms do.biggest loop-hole is "depreciation" they can write off quite a lot due to percieved loss of value of stock,machinery e.t.c. despite the fact it`s got years and years left before it`s due for replacement.Commen scam/legal loophole is firms replacing all their computers or vehicles before being assessed,better to spend the money on the company and show no profit than give it to the taxman.Good Old News International makes millions over here and is great at campaigning against all kinds of fraud..........they`ve never yet paid any tax in this country,nothing to do with Murdoch being a friend of every p.m. we`ve had in the last few years and anyone likely to become one or the masive influence they have by way of the editorial slant their turgid shit-rags take.

vifferman
5th January 2005, 08:55
What effect did their factory fire have on profitability?

Hitcher
5th January 2005, 08:55
If the new ST Sprint doesn't save Triumph, then nothing will...

It's drop-dead gorgeous...

Bob
5th January 2005, 09:02
What effect did their factory fire have on profitability?

Funny you should mention that...

"The 2004 performance did not include the previous year's £2.1m profit from an asset sale after a fire at its Hinckley plant in 2002."

Talking about the Sprint, I reckon Hitcher is spot on there - if Triumph have a bike capable of kicking Honda's butt, it is the Sprint. Come to think of it, the new Speed Triple isn't exactly shabby either - only worry there being that it is a radical change in style from the old one. But if you want minimal, the new Speed Triple is your man!

I'm off to the London Motorcycle Show at the end of the month, so I'll try to get some decent photos. But in the meantime, here is a promp pic from Triumph:

http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/main_SPEEDTRIPLE_02.jpg

jrandom
5th January 2005, 09:04
When annual accounts report 'losses' it means NOTHING other than that the company does not particularly wish to have shareholders knocking on its door expecting dividends that year, and neither does it wish to hand over a particularly large segment of its cash to the IRD.

If there was a way of answering the question, I'd bet a pint with anyone who wanted to that Triumph's cashflow is completely healthy.

Coyote
5th January 2005, 09:26
I'm off to the London Motorcycle Show at the end of the month, so I'll try to get some decent photos. But in the meantime, here is a promp pic from Triumph:

Oooo, nice bike. How much?

Blakamin
5th January 2005, 09:29
Funny you should mention that...

"The 2004 performance did not include the previous year's £2.1m profit from an asset sale after a fire at its Hinckley plant in 2002."

Talking about the Sprint, I reckon Hitcher is spot on there - if Triumph have a bike capable of kicking Honda's butt, it is the Sprint. Come to think of it, the new Speed Triple isn't exactly shabby either - only worry there being that it is a radical change in style from the old one. But if you want minimal, the new Speed Triple is your man!

Beautiful...... but the can needs ...something

Indiana_Jones
5th January 2005, 09:49
I hope Triumph is ok lol, I havn't got my Daytona or Bonnie yet :buggerd:

-Indy

tlronny
5th January 2005, 12:47
Is it just me or is the new Rocket 3 a hugely ugly piece of crap that looks just awful and sounds very average as it goes by ??
They won some award in NZ lately too ? :no:
What sort of biker really buys one of these ? (perhaps one with a small weener !)
For that sort of money you can virtually buy any sort of decent bike !
:moon: :moon: :moon:
Comments anyone ??

White trash
5th January 2005, 15:15
Is it just me or is the new Rocket 3 a hugely ugly piece of crap that looks just awful and sounds very average as it goes by ??
What sort of biker really buys one of these ? (perhaps one with a small weener !)
Comments anyone ??

Shaddup!!!

mini_hooks_
5th January 2005, 15:19
Oooo, nice bike. How much?

$2.95... :killingme

Jackrat
5th January 2005, 18:23
Hmmm,I seem to remember something along these lines about 25-30 years ago.
The new trident was gonn'a save their ass that time. :killingme

ooops,sorry. :calm:

moko
6th January 2005, 19:23
Hmmm,I seem to remember something along these lines about 25-30 years ago.
The new trident was gonn'a save their ass that time. :killingme

ooops,sorry. :calm:

Totally different company mate,a small part of the Bloor empire.Old Triumph company went tits up due to total lack of business acumen of the management.Ignorant,arrogant dicks sat back knocking out the same old crap happy in the knowledge that Japan would never make anything that stayed together for more than 3 months.Bloor`s a hard-nosed business man,dont know about now but they even used to make their own nuts and bolts because they couldn`t get the quality they wanted from elsewhere when the factory first opened.Triumph`s loss could well be part of a bit of money-juggling amongst the Bloor group for tax purposes,guy started it from the ground-up when everyone told him he was nuts and has poured loads of money and time into it,like i said before it`s his baby,lifetime ambition and he`s got no intention of jacking it in over what to his organisation is a drop in the ocean at most,bit of a tax dodge at least.

Jackrat
6th January 2005, 20:28
Totally different company mate,a small part of the Bloor empire.Old Triumph company went tits up due to total lack of business acumen of the management.Ignorant,arrogant dicks sat back knocking out the same old crap happy in the knowledge that Japan would never make anything that stayed together for more than 3 months.Bloor`s a hard-nosed business man,dont know about now but they even used to make their own nuts and bolts because they couldn`t get the quality they wanted from elsewhere when the factory first opened.Triumph`s loss could well be part of a bit of money-juggling amongst the Bloor group for tax purposes,guy started it from the ground-up when everyone told him he was nuts and has poured loads of money and time into it,like i said before it`s his baby,lifetime ambition and he`s got no intention of jacking it in over what to his organisation is a drop in the ocean at most,bit of a tax dodge at least.

Jeeeez,you bite well mate. :whistle:

Your lucky but.
The weathers probably better where you are right now.

moko
7th January 2005, 19:04
Jeeeez,you bite well mate. :whistle:

Didn`t realise I was biting mate,but you`re right,when I do I do it well
:msn-wink:

avgas
7th January 2005, 19:25
Hey i just realised, my ol' mans 955i was from u guys.
how many years u been there? cos it was a 98 Red Demo (1st in country i think) with 100ks on the clock. Came back a few months later having its rear wheel disitergrates when some wanker in Christchurch didnt tighten the nut after doing the tire.
Yeh back then he was suppose to walk in the store and get a new GSXR for him and an RG for me......walked out spending and extra $8K and no bike for me
:disapint: must be something really good about this bike i said to myself.
Or Welligton Motorcycles have really good sales staff

avgas
7th January 2005, 19:29
Chuck a supertrapp on that and she's not too shabby

Yokai
7th January 2005, 19:34
If there was a way of answering the question, I'd bet a pint with anyone who wanted to that Triumph's cashflow is completely healthy.

I'm with you on that. Last I heard, Triumph had somewhere in the 1.5m in cash assets.

For those not up on the business side of things
A loss is : profit divulged < outgoings divulged. It does not mean that they have no cash. It also doesn't take into account amortization of ongoing costs (Hinkley would be an ongoing cost if I'd been in charge of the accounting - you can write that off against tax!)

The clearest way of getting a picture of whether a company is doing well or badly is if they are doing pretty much the same stuff that they have done for the last year, and are claiming profits that are greater than the amount posted in the same quarter the previous year.

Skyryder
25th December 2005, 16:54
Comments anyone ??

The rocket has grunt. That's all some people want. It's in a class of it's own and there's nothing to match it.

Skyryder

Indiana_Jones
25th December 2005, 20:56
It's a shame really, Triumph is like the Cunard of motorcycles, a former shell of itself and owned by someone else :(

-Indy

Bob
28th December 2005, 08:18
It's a shame really, Triumph is like the Cunard of motorcycles, a former shell of itself and owned by someone else :(

-Indy

One of the problems of resurecting a news item that is about a year old - since this went up, Triumph have fully sold their pre-orders of the Rocket III and Daytona 675. I believe the Sprint ST has also sold very well and the Speed Triple sales ain't shabby either.

What a difference a year makes, eh?

Indiana_Jones
28th December 2005, 12:59
But the other guy did it lol

-Indy