PDA

View Full Version : Pre-89 RC30 build and brake calipers

vagrant
18th June 2008, 22:15
Hi,
I am rebuilding my RC30 with the aim to be able to run it in pre 89.
The stock RC30 calipers are in pretty poor shape, with lots of pitting corrosion in the bores.
I have a spare set of calipers of my 94 fireblade. They share a lot of parts, including the seals and pistons. (they were used on blades from 92 on)

I have read the rules, which state they should be period or replicas.

As the internals are effectively the same, is it permissible to use the fireblade calipers?

Cheers for any advice

Littleman
18th June 2008, 22:23
Not really sure mate.

Chrislost
18th June 2008, 23:52
how much are they different to the RC ones? could you not just rebuild the VFR ones with the bits from the fireblade and never notive the
difference?

cant you just get the parts from honda for them(expensive for the 400cc ones tho)

Morcs
19th June 2008, 12:52
I think If you turned up on an RC30 they will be (or farking should be) so in awe that they wouldnt pay too much attention to things like that - and if they know anything about bikes, theyd know how hard parts are to get hold of.

PeteJ
19th June 2008, 15:42
I think If you turned up on an RC30 they will be (or farking should be) so in awe that they wouldnt pay too much attention to things like that - and if they know anything about bikes, theyd know how hard parts are to get hold of.

We all know how hard parts are to get hold of for obsolete bikes. But read the rules closely to see what you may do. "Replicas" means visually as well as functionally replicating the OE brake calipers.

Your issue has been around a long, long time. That's one of the reasons eligibility rules are so rigidly enforced.

Having raced historics here, in Australia and the US since 1982, I can assure you that eligibility scrutineers do not like being bullshitted.

There are RC30s being raced in NZ, so you may like go to a meeting and talk to other owners.

Or even do as NZCMRR suggests for classics, which is discuss in advance with the race organisers' eligibility people what you intend to do. It's better than getting excluded, or even worse getting protested out after you've ridden.

vagrant
19th June 2008, 22:05
could you not just rebuild the VFR ones.
Cant you just get the parts from honda for them(expensive for the 400cc ones tho)
The castings are stuffed, so there is nothing to rebuild.
Replacements are rare as rocking horse sh#t and twice as expensive.

Not really sure mate.
Yeah, cheers for the help dude:bash: have to catch up again sometime.

:rockon:

Or even do as NZCMRR suggests for classics, which is discuss in advance with the race organisers' eligibility people what you intend to do. It's better than getting excluded, or even worse getting protested out after you've ridden.

Cheers, Ive emailled their Tech guy asking for advice.

skidMark
19th June 2008, 22:07
Racing an RC 30? do you have any idea how rare they are 0.o

riffer
19th June 2008, 22:41
Not as rare as you think.

A workmate of mine has a very tasty fully worked race one, which is very, very trick.

For sale too at the right price.

gammaguy
20th June 2008, 08:12
heres a list from one of my cattledogs of all the Honda models which share the same brake pads as the RC30.It follows the calipers would be similar,if not the same.It would take a real trainspotter to tell the difference,if any.Safety is also a factor,so i hope safe brakes would take precedence over absolute authenticity.good luck with the 18" rear wheel too!

HONDA NS125 Italy 89 F Street

HONDA CB250F Hornet 96-97 F Street

HONDA CB250F Hornet 99-07 F Street

HONDA NSR250R 90-92 F Street

HONDA NSR250R 94 F Street

HONDA NSR250R SP 88-89 F Street

HONDA RS250R 91-92 F Street

HONDA CB400FII Super Four 97 F Street

HONDA CB400FIII SF Version S 96 F Street

HONDA NT400 Bros 88-90 F Street

HONDA RVF400R 94-96 F Street

HONDA VFR400 Pro Arm (NC30) 91-94 F Street

HONDA VFR400RIII NC30 89-92 F Street

HONDA NR750 RC40 92 F Street

HONDA RVF750R RC45 94 F Street

HONDA RVF750RR (RC45) 94-98 F Street

HONDA VFR750R (RC30) 87-91 F Street

HONDA CB900F Hornet@900 01 F Street

HONDA CB900F Hornet 900 02 F Street

HONDA CB900F Hornet@900 03 F Street

HONDA CB900F Hornet 900 04-07 F Street

HONDA CBR900 Fire Blad (SC29 SC28) 92-95 F Street

HONDA CBR900RR Fireblade 93-95 F Street

HONDA CB1000 94-96 F Street

HONDA CB1000FP SC30 93-98 F Street

HONDA CB1300 X-4 97 F Street

vifferman
20th June 2008, 08:59
Just a silly, ignorant question: can the calipers be honed and sleeved or summat?

vagrant
23rd June 2008, 05:08
Safety is also a factor,so i hope safe brakes would take precedence over absolute authenticity.good luck with the 18" rear wheel too!

Cheers for the list.
The initial response from the Tech guys is favorable. There is precedent for not going to the ends of the earth (or bank balance) to get the "right" bits.

18"er, no worries, I have a 17" marchesini :woohoo:

vagrant
23rd June 2008, 05:09
Just a silly, ignorant question: can the calipers be honed and sleeved or summat?

I will take them to a machine shop, and see what they say.

xwhatsit
23rd June 2008, 11:15
Racing an RC 30? do you have any idea how rare they are 0.o
Isn't that what they were designed for though? Be a shame to just pootle around town on it.

imdying
23rd June 2008, 19:11
Yes, the bores in the calipers isn't too critical, a quick hone will see them fine. Of critical importance is the outer face of the caliper pistons. These must be in perfect condition. Worst case we can sleeve them in stainless steel. Typically that'll run you about $65 a piston, so make sure you can't get genuine ones somewhere first as they may be cheaper. Other than that, no drama to rebuild them.

MVnut
23rd June 2008, 20:56
Not as rare as you think.

A workmate of mine has a very tasty fully worked race one, which is very, very trick.

For sale too at the right price.

You wanna tell me some more about this RC30 for sale ??

malcy25
25th June 2008, 18:43

Try racing a TZ750 - they make an RC30 look as common as a C50 step thru....
Now Postie rules...
A couple of guys on the tech committee (I'm one of them) is considering it at present - yes the pads, pins, pistons etc are the same but the external casting is not and that is being mulled over currently. (and I've looked at lots of pictures in the last few days and pad catalogues too)

PeteJ has got it on the head with regard to the rules . The Pre 89 will mimic pre 82 with respect to "visualy indistinguishable". That is the point being reviewed currently. Somewhere the line has to be drawn with all things as you would expect and whilst it could be easy to grant an "Exemption" in cases like this the law of unintended consequences" can pop it's very ugly head 6 months later when someone arrives with a complete fireblade front end!! Saying "but it was okay for him to use the calipers"

As a general rule, many people misunderstand the tech rules thinking well the original bike had 4 pot calipers and the ones I want to fit are 4 pots, so she'll be right....apart from they are 2006 GSXR600 or something....Unfortunately that is not the case.

Good on Vagrant though for asking the question before hand as it stops "issues" later.

Compounding this is brakes and forks are the areas where people push the boundaries the most and thus have to be the most careful.

Al W