PDA

View Full Version : SR400 regulator

Wired1
18th June 2008, 22:18
My SR400 appears to have a buggered regulator, it popped the headlight bulb when I revved it up, first the low beam then the high beam, I'm a slow learner some times. I have replaced the headlight but disconnected the regulator as I can't be paying out for a new one without finding the fault.

I phoned the local yamaha shop and they quoted me $380 for a new one so is there a cheaper alternative?. I have read that the XS1100 and XS650 ones won't work as they have wound field coils. The SR400 had a permanent magnet field and a three phase alternator so any bike with a similar arrangement will do the trick as long as it can put out 11 amps minimum (according to the manual). I think 15 amps should be safe.

Anyone got a source of suitably grunty regulators? I did recently buy a few of the chinese ones for my XT550 but they kept blowing with light load.

T.W.R
18th June 2008, 22:50
Possibly Rick's Motorsport Electrics could do a suitable regulator for the bike.

here's a link to Bikebandit's listing of RME & what they supply (http://www.bikebandit.com/brand-nav/rick's+motorsport+electric)

I'll check the full catalogue tomorrow at work and let you know

XRKID
18th June 2008, 23:01
Yer my vfr400 one blew up on me early this year. I got a replacement SR500 R/R and it seams to be working good i also brought a VF750R R/R. I could possibly chuck my VF750R on and send you the SR500 one if they the right sort. I made up my own R/R at one stage i can give u building instructions on building a decent Rectifier but youll have to find a suitable Regulator 15amps is pretty fucking high as most R/R are rated 10amps max

Motu
18th June 2008, 23:05
I'm using an aftermarket tractor (Kubota) regulator,with some nice cooling fins.You can get them in 2 wire or 3 wire (yellow) ac input.Still not cheap,but better than OE.I haven't even got mine mounted to the frame....just bolted to the plastic guard and earthed.Only gets warm enough to kiss with your lips....I just love my regulator!

Wired1
19th June 2008, 08:28
Thanks guys, XRkid - I think all the SR500's have the same regulator so if yours is spare then let me know what you want for it. I also like the idea of using a tractor one Motu, are you running this on a bike with a permanent magnet field? if it runs that cool and is not too expensive it would have to be a good option.
I don't want to replace another headlight!

vifferman
19th June 2008, 08:33
Any bike R/R for a bike with a stator should do, but you may need to do some rewiring if the plugs are different. The only thing is there's no guarantee a secondhand one is good, or how much life is left in it, so it's a bit of a gamble.

xwhatsit
19th June 2008, 11:42
Hey dude -- bad luck with these reguifiers you're having!

Anyway, I made the offer of you pinching one of my RS reguifiers before, but the XT was single-phase, so no joy there. However I suppose the SR400 is three-phase -- in that case, steal one of my 250RS regrecs and have at it. As I said before, big beefy bastards also fitted to CX500s et al, lots of meaty cooling fins.

Wired1
19th June 2008, 13:38
Hey dude -- bad luck with these reguifiers you're having!

Anyway, I made the offer of you pinching one of my RS reguifiers before, but the XT was single-phase, so no joy there. However I suppose the SR400 is three-phase -- in that case, steal one of my 250RS regrecs and have at it. As I said before, big beefy bastards also fitted to CX500s et al, lots of meaty cooling fins.

Yeah I think the god of sparkies is having a laugh, I do seem to attract these regulator problems. I had heard that the Honda 250 ones work with my type of alternator so if you have a spare one PM me what you want for it.

T.W.R
19th June 2008, 18:32
There's two possible from RME:

#10-441
#10-410

The second one is the most likely of the two, but there aren't any specific details in the catalogue

2 Wheel Wholesale is the NZ distributor

2 Wheel Wholesale
P.O Box 684 Whakatane
(07) 308 7654

Wired1
19th June 2008, 18:38
What's RME?

T.W.R
19th June 2008, 18:55
What's RME?

Rick's Motorsport Electrics

An aftermarket manufacturer of electrical goodies for bikes
pretty much anything that can go bung as an OEM part this outfit makes for a much cheaper price

Motu
19th June 2008, 19:03
The aftermarket tractor regulators are about $200,not cheap,but cheaper than OE,and dearer than one that blows up in a week.

You can make your own rectifier easy enough,one from Jaycar is cheap and works well on a bike.But the regulator needs a bit more electronic nouse to make on the cheap.

davereid
19th June 2008, 19:13
Yes, as Motu said, a rectifier is easy, and $20. Regulators are harder, but still should not cost $380 !

Maybe its time I designed the "kiwibiker voltage regulator"

Watch this space... I'll put something together and put the design on-line here.

XRKID
19th June 2008, 21:52
well ill swap them over this weeknd and give you a buzz. Yer it dont matter how old a R/R is. But whether it has been on the verge of burning out or not. Umm How many wires you got on ya bike for the regulator to plug into and what colours?

Wired1
19th June 2008, 22:08
well ill swap them over this weeknd and give you a buzz. Yer it dont matter how old a R/R is. But whether it has been on the verge of burning out or not. Umm How many wires you got on ya bike for the regulator to plug into and what colours?

Mine's six wires - three white or eyellow phase alt wires plus red, black and our friend the brown wire.

bungbung
20th June 2008, 09:22
What state is your battery in? Some old bikes cannot regulate the voltage with a bung battery, = blowing bulbs all over.

Wired1
20th June 2008, 18:57
What state is your battery in? Some old bikes cannot regulate the voltage with a bung battery, = blowing bulbs all over.

The battery is about two weeks old. The battery in the bike when I bought it was bone dry, I tried filling it and charging it but it was burgered, so I bought a new one.

XRKID
26th June 2008, 20:05
The battery is about two weeks old. The battery in the bike when I bought it was bone dry, I tried filling it and charging it but it was burgered, so I bought a new one.
Tried mounting my vf750r regulator and it is too big thus pushing the fairing up. Sorry im gonna have to keep the sr500 one.

Wired1
26th June 2008, 20:52
Thanks, I was lucky enough to get one off xerxesdaphat. I've got the bike apart for powdercoating so it will be a couple of months before I get back to this point again. I did find a number of intermittant shorts in the loom when I stripped it down so I'm sure this was what killed the old one.

rok-the-boat
4th July 2008, 21:14
I had a DT175 that blew its regulator. New price was crazy so I went to the library and fugured out how to make one. Can't remember exactly, but I think I had a few zenner diodes in line on a piece of ally. It worked fine and cost almost nothing.

rudolph
4th July 2008, 21:27
Test the 3 yellow wires at the stator side with a malty meter and see if any of them are earthing,

I have found in a few cases if the regulator/rectifier is suspect the stator can shagged to, but in your case you might be lucky :P