PDA

View Full Version : Do you like fun? (Motarded DRZ 400 E)

Mikkel
18th June 2008, 22:28
If so, go and have a ride on a motard! You will not regret it...

Today after work I met up with El Stevo who had, most graciously, offered me to have a ride on his DRZ (only a small amount of beer-assisted prodding required). With the 250 ccm restriction no longer being any concern I have been considering for a while what to replace my ZXR with.

So I have been giving the motards quite a serious thought - should be good for commuting, carving up the hills and exploring all of those nice gravel roads around Banks Peninsula. Seemed like a perfect idea to me...

...that said, I have only ridden two bikes in a way that matters. Both Kawasakis and both fully faired sportsbikes. As such I wouldn't have the first clue as what to expect from what is essentially a dirtbike. That fact doesn't change the fact that they look like fun - and there are no fairings to scratch up either. :niceone:

The bike is a Suzuki DRZ-400 Enduro with motard wheels, road tyres and larger brake discs. This also means that 1) it's running the 39 mm Mikuni Flatslide carb and 2) the suspension is set up for dirt riding.

First impression after having thrown my leg over is 'blimey, this thing is tall' followed shortly by 'crikey, these bars are wide'. I think the best way to describe the difference between sitting on the DRZ and the ZXR is that you feel much bigger - and like sitting on a throne - on the DRZ. A very comfortable throne mind you, the soft off-road suspension provides armchair-like comfort.
Click in first and clutch out - here we go. 2nd gear, and 'whoa' this thing pulls quite differently compared to the ZXR ! Pootle along the suburban street, wrong turn - golden opportunity for a U-turn, which clearly illustrates that the DRZ's steering geometry is also 'slightly' different.
Out on the main road with a 70 km/h speed limit I open it up a bit more. The low-end torque is magnificient - alas, the rev limiter kicks in all too quickly. Unlike the ZXR it's hard to get a feel for where the bike is in the rev range - probably a bit to do with the loud and obnoxious thumping sound being emitted just behind my right thigh. I get a distinct impression that dumping the clutch in just about any gear would see the rear squat down and the front head for the stars.

We hit the hill... A road with a lot of nice corners that I ride every day. About 20 seconds later the El Stevo's R1 has disappeared from the mirrors (ok, it felt like 20 seconds - but I wasn't really counting). Up and down the hills - tight lefts and rights - sweepers - the works. I am having a lot of fun! The bike is very accessible, flicks easily into the corners, sits planted over the rough stuff - doesn't feel like it's the first time I'm on the bike... :scratch:
A short hour and about 50 kms later we head home. :D

Getting back on the ZXR I feel I have my knees up under my chin and my hands folded in front of me...

The Good:
-Black, loud and obnoxious.
-Inspires a 'the devil may care'/'fuck the establishment' mindset.
-Good torque throughout the entire rev range.
-Sharp throttle response from the flatslides.
-Very fast and fun in the twisty bits - carving up the hills is the proper term :yes:.
-The soft suspension adds to the fun.
-No fancy, flashy bits to worry about if you park close to scooters or cars.

The Bad:
-Black, loud and obnoxious.
-Inspires a 'the devil may care'/'fuck the establishment' mindset.
-Lacks power - i.e. is slower than the 250 in a straight line (not off the line, but certainly from 50 km/h and upwards).
-Would get uncomfortable if ridden on the open roads for an extended time.
-Shortish range ~150 kms.
-The suspension is a bit too soft to be effective on the road - the nose dives under braking and rear squats under acceleration - and quite a bit too.
-It's not in my garage right now, if it was I wouldn't be writing about it here though.

Conclusion:
The grin factor is huge - this is hoonery incarnate. I'm definately getting a motard :yes:

SVboy
18th June 2008, 22:38
You are a {lucky} bad bad man!! You must have done something "special" to elstevo on Saturday nite to score a ride!!

Mikkel
19th June 2008, 18:09
You are a {lucky} bad bad man!! You must have done something "special" to elstevo on Saturday nite to score a ride!!

Nothing special really. Tried my best to be a good host. Praised the wheelie video and then asked nicely. No worries :D

Coyote
19th June 2008, 18:56
Fell in love with the XR650R I test rode. Dead keen on one. Would be a better option than a ZX10R on the road, though ideally I'd have one of them too :p

Morcs
20th June 2008, 09:48
The Bad:
-Black, loud and obnoxious. SO?
-Inspires a 'the devil may care'/'fuck the establishment' mindset. THATS WHAT THEY ARE ABOUT
-Lacks power - i.e. is slower than the 250 in a straight line (not off the line, but certainly from 50 km/h and upwards). maybe, but not far behind.
-Would get uncomfortable if ridden on the open roads for an extended time. only in jeans. leather or cordura has a bit more padding and the arse doesnt go numb half as quick.
-Shortish range ~150 kms. yeah. filling up every 2 days is a bitch.
-The suspension is a bit too soft to be effective on the road - the nose dives under braking and rear squats under acceleration - and quite a bit too. adjusting suspension takes 5 minutes. stoppies are a doddle - as are stand up wheelies.
-It's not in my garage right now, if it was I wouldn't be writing about it here though.DRZ400SMFTW.

boomer
20th June 2008, 10:26
DRZ400SMFTW.

MORCSFTW!!!

YAMASAKI
20th June 2008, 12:44
Haha, another Motard convert :Punk:. a bit of a worry that you reckon that the 250 is quicker over 50kph, my motard is doing 100 before i could get out of first gear on the ZXR. mind you, it only weighs 113kg and has twice the power.... ahhhh bliss

Mikkel
20th June 2008, 13:10
Haha, another Motard convert :Punk:. a bit of a worry that you reckon that the 250 is quicker over 50kph, my motard is doing 100 before i could get out of first gear on the ZXR. mind you, it only weighs 113kg and has twice the power.... ahhhh bliss

Yep, definitely going motard :yes:

Yours is the KTM 525 right? I'd suspect it would be quite a different machine. However, I wasn't aware that there are single-cylinder 525 ccm engines that produces 90 hps at the crank <_< Although I will gladly believe that your KTM is much faster than both the DRZ and the ZXR!

However, you won't be cruising comfortably at 150 km/h on the DRZ - the ZXR manages that no worries. It's probably more of a gearing issue than a power issue - power at the wheel is quite comparable between the DRZ400 and ZXR250. Also, the DRZ has a claimed dry weight at 134 kg (ZXR is ~150 kg dry).
The DRZ will feel faster due to how the power is delivered, riding position, gearing, aerodynamics, etc. and I'll be it'll be much faster in the twisties too - especially if the surface starts get a bit rough.

My pointing out the good and the bad was just an attempt at providing an objective evaluation. Personally I think the two first points ('Black, loud and Obnoxious' and 'Inspires a the-devil-may-care-attitude') are good points - some might not. I'd choose fast in the twisties over fast on the straights any day of the week - which I tried to get across with the final bad point. Something I will have to remedy shortly - maybe this coming week :D

Quasievil
20th June 2008, 19:23
Nice write up Mikkel, I test rode an Aprillia svx 550 and loved it to bits,turned me into a instant hoon. Im unsure what Im going to get Im planning to race one so still studying my options, it wont be a DR (just not up to it) but there are a few good options out there Husky KTM Husaberg etc

Mikkel
20th June 2008, 22:32
Nice write up Mikkel, I test rode an Aprillia svx 550 and loved it to bits,turned me into a instant hoon. Im unsure what Im going to get Im planning to race one so still studying my options, it wont be a DR (just not up to it) but there are a few good options out there Husky KTM Husaberg etc

Cheers mate, glad you liked it! :yes:

I love the look of the SVX550 - and there is currently one for sale at Red Baron in Lower Hutt for $12,995. If it was in Chch I would be very tempted to take it out for a spin - but according to some of the reviews I've read there are real issues with regards to the maintenance schedule. Too bad there aren't that many (if indeed any) other V-twin motards.

I am planning to take a 2006 Husky 610 SM, which I am currently considering to buy, out for a testride tomorrow - so there might be another bike review in pipeline :D

Quasievil
21st June 2008, 07:19
Cheers mate, glad you liked it! :yes:

I love the look of the SVX550 - and there is currently one for sale at Red Baron in Lower Hutt for $12,995. If it was in Chch I would be very tempted to take it out for a spin - but according to some of the reviews I've read there are real issues with regards to the maintenance schedule. Too bad there aren't that many (if indeed any) other V-twin motards.

I am planning to take a 2006 Husky 610 SM, which I am currently considering to buy, out for a testride tomorrow - so there might be another bike review in pipeline :D

There where some issues with the gaskets leaking water into the engine, you can get the dealer to sought this for you if needed. Bloody awesome fun these machines, cant wait to get one

cruza
22nd June 2008, 12:26
Had a '99 xr600 a while back ,that was fun on the road,round the hills, always felt safer round town on it ,because of the upright seating postion, Bad bad things for bringing out the hoon in anyone :rolleyes:

Gremlin
23rd June 2008, 02:07
Nice write up Mikkel, I test rode an Aprillia svx 550 and loved it to bits,turned me into a instant hoon.
SXV550 is a helluva lot of fun, I agree... Only problem is, I found it couldn't behave. ie, if you wanted to just cruise down a street obeying ALL the laws, I found it would lurch against the throttle, and was generally incapable of being civil. I stoppied it, wheelied it, backed it into corners, and generally acted like a hooligan for most of the time :msn-wink: Granted, some of this could have been the fitted race pipe, but it did echo off buildings in a splendid fashion, and I saw people blocking their ears :devil2:

Now the problems (which killed it for me). Seat is uncomfortable, as in, 10 min down the motorway, and it hurts. Hitting reserve at 80km and filling up several times in 24 hours also got tiresome. Other big issue is the maintenance required on such a performance motard.

It simply wasn't flexible enough, and not a do-all bike, which I need. I'm looking at a supermoto or naked bike instead, which can still do gravel (hell, even a zx10 with raceattacks can do gravel :clap:)

YAMASAKI
23rd June 2008, 10:11
Yep, definitely going motard :yes:

Yours is the KTM 525 right? I'd suspect it would be quite a different machine. However, I wasn't aware that there are single-cylinder 525 ccm engines that produces 90 hps at the crank <_< Although I will gladly believe that your KTM is much faster than both the DRZ and the ZXR!

However, you won't be cruising comfortably at 150 km/h on the DRZ - the ZXR manages that no worries. It's probably more of a gearing issue than a power issue - power at the wheel is quite comparable between the DRZ400 and ZXR250. Also, the DRZ has a claimed dry weight at 134 kg (ZXR is ~150 kg dry).
The DRZ will feel faster due to how the power is delivered, riding position, gearing, aerodynamics, etc. and I'll be it'll be much faster in the twisties too - especially if the surface starts get a bit rough.

My pointing out the good and the bad was just an attempt at providing an objective evaluation. Personally I think the two first points ('Black, loud and Obnoxious' and 'Inspires a the-devil-may-care-attitude') are good points - some might not. I'd choose fast in the twisties over fast on the straights any day of the week - which I tried to get across with the final bad point. Something I will have to remedy shortly - maybe this coming week :D

yeah saying the KTM twice the power (mines a 520EXC, but yes it's exactly the same as the 525) might be exaggerating a little (I doubt the ZXR would be putting out 45bhp anyway), but i wouldn't be surprised if it had twice the torque, it has a high compression piston and custom cam setup and i've got to work hard to keep the front on the ground.... in 2nd and 3rd gear :2thumbsup, so it's got plenty of balls at any rate.

One of the best things about motards is that they are so much fun at slower speeds and so much more forgiving than a sports bike. A LOT more fun in the twisties (and more license friendly on the open road :D)

Mikkel
23rd June 2008, 10:21
SXV550 is a helluva lot of fun, I agree... Only problem is, I found it couldn't behave. ie, if you wanted to just cruise down a street obeying ALL the laws, I found it would lurch against the throttle, and was generally incapable of being civil. I stoppied it, wheelied it, backed it into corners, and generally acted like a hooligan for most of the time :msn-wink: Granted, some of this could have been the fitted race pipe, but it did echo of buildings in a splendid fashion, and I saw people blocking their ears :devil2:

That is the essence of tard-ness I believe :2thumbsup

Now the problems (which killed it for me). Seat is uncomfortable, as in, 10 min down the motorway, and it hurts. Hitting reserve at 80km and filling up several times in 24 hours also got tiresome. Other big issue is the maintenance required on such a performance motard.

It simply wasn't flexible enough, and not a do-all bike, which I need. I'm looking at a supermoto or naked bike instead, which can still do gravel (hell, even a zx10 with raceattacks can do gravel :clap:)

I hear what you are saying - but the SVX550 is a more race-oriented motard I believe. The DRZ and Husky 610 SM are road oriented - longer range, longer service intervals, slightly more comfortable as well I suspect.

yeah saying the KTM twice the power (mines a 520EXC, but yes it's exactly the same as the 525) might be exaggerating a little (I doubt the ZXR would be putting out 45bhp anyway), but i wouldn't be surprised if it had twice the torque, it has a high compression piston and custom cam setup and i've got to work hard to keep the front on the ground.... in 2nd and 3rd gear :2thumbsup, so it's got plenty of balls at any rate.

My ZXR puts out 37.5 hps at the wheel according to the Harris trailer Dyno - I have no idea of the error on that dyno though. Still it was a good 10 hps more than a '93 ZXR which had just had a full engine recondition.

One of the best things about motards is that they are so much fun at slower speeds and so much more forgiving than a sports bike. A LOT more fun in the twisties (and more license friendly on the open road :D)

Indeed, this is my main reason for going for a motard. While the ZXR250 is nice enough for commuting - I doubt it's big brother, the mean greenie, would be suitable for such applications. A 750 ccm superbike with flatslide carbs is just not really suitable for running around town on (oh, and it's bloody loud as well - and no, I'm not going to do anything about that unless I absolutely have to).