PDA

View Full Version : Handy Dandy tips thread

ManDownUnder
19th June 2008, 11:37
I'm sure a few of us know a "little something" that makes life easier, or cheaper, or in some cases both. List them here so we can all enjoy the benefits.

Here's mine... Vodaphone users...

text "r" to 901
You'll get a text back confirming an email address that will be forwarded to your phone (i.e. you send an email to nnnnnnnnn@sms.vodafone.net.nz and it magically appears on your cellyphone.

I suspect it might be really cheap too...

nodrog
19th June 2008, 11:40
how cheap?

xwhatsit
19th June 2008, 11:48
I'm sure a few of us know a "little something" that makes life easier, or cheaper, or in some cases both. List them here so we can all enjoy the benefits.

Here's mine... Vodaphone users...

text "r" to 901

You'll get a text back confirming an email address that will be forwarded to your phone (i.e. you send an email to nnnnnnnnn@sms.vodafone.net.nz and it magically appears on your cellyphone.

I suspect it might be really cheap too...

Yup! I think it works out at around 20c per email, same as texting. Be careful with giving out that email, as if somebody doesn't like you (or you get signed up to a spammer haha) they can rack up a fairly large bill for you just by sending (free for them) emails to your phone.

Useful; rigged it up with a few scripts on my server, so I get a text if there's trouble at th' mill.

ManDownUnder
19th June 2008, 11:52
Yup! I think it works out at around 20c per email, same as texting. Be careful with giving out that email, as if somebody doesn't like you (or you get signed up to a spammer haha) they can rack up a fairly large bill for you just by sending (free for them) emails to your phone.

Useful; rigged it up with a few scripts on my server, so I get a text if there's trouble at th' mill.

Cheers - didn't realise there was a cost on it - I heard it was a back door (calm down carver - not that back door..)

What was the Welliwood text parking trick - something about changing the last digit to alter the costs?

jim.cox
19th June 2008, 13:09
Doesnt seem to work

Tried the 'r' thing

Got a "your address is..." message back

But sending to that address bounces back as "user unknown"

Maybe it needs a while for the address to propagate.