PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike for beginner?

swedencamilla
20th June 2008, 14:51
Please, give me some advice!!! for a first motorbike.
I have been thinking about getting either a motor bike or a motor scooter. I need it for commuting, but I also want to enjoy riding it, but I wouldn't really hoon about. I live in Karori in Wellington, so it must be OK with the hills. I want to be able to take a fair amount of stuff with me ie storage is important. Easy handling and reliability is also important. Also, occasionally I might want to take someone with me. I am in principle a beginner and a medium sized woman, although relatively strong (doing karate and weights). I started looking at motor scooters, seemed that the Yamaha Jog CV50 would be relatively good, but I am worried about it not cooping with the hills. I went into a dealers place today and they showed me a Yamaha Scorpio Z, which they recommended. Kawasaki Ninja 250 is around on some websites as a first bike. I really want to be able to store the helmet on the bike though, would be a hassle to have to carry it around all the time.
Please share your opinions. Thanks heaps!!!

Jorja
20th June 2008, 14:55
I have a scorpio. Highly recomend it. You will enjoy it more than a scooter. PLus it would be easier on the hills.

You could always look at having some sort of pack rack or top box fitted for carring gear.

nodrog
20th June 2008, 14:59
a K5 or K6 Suzuki GSXR1000, ideal commuter, heaps of torque to tow all your gear in a small trailer.

no, i'm just being silly, any of the modern litre bikes will be fine for what you need.

portokiwi
20th June 2008, 15:01
:clap: Welcome and good hunting.
You should read all the newbee posts as there has beem many many topics on first new bikes. Look for one that you feel comfy on. great first bikes would be and I know a lot of people here will agree is the good old Suzuki GN.
With the hills around you yes I have been there. I would go for the GN250.
its not the fastest bike around but it has the power to get you to the top of those big hills.
A lot of traing firms around the world use the GN as they are more first bike trainers.
Ok I will now get a big ear bashing from the others........ take care and have fun:cool:

mstriumph
20th June 2008, 15:02
if convenience/storage is most important to you buy the scooter

if you are willing to compromise on convenience/storage for the sake of sheer enjoyment, buy the bike

why not get your licence, test drive both and then decide?

Steam
20th June 2008, 15:28
I really want to be able to store the helmet on the bike though, would be a hassle to have to carry it around all the time.

You can buy a locking case called a Givi top box, they fit a helmet inside.
They can be attached to both a scooter and a motorbike. Some bike shops might give you a free top box with a new scooter or bike.

Now, motorbike or scooter?
You don't need a bike license to ride a scooter, and the Yamaha Jog will be fine on the hills. I am 100kgs and rode a scooter all around the Wellington hills, it was fine.
But you can't really ride on the motorway with a top speed of around 50. Going to Porirua, Upper Hutt or Paikakariki on a scooter? Forget it.
With a scooter you can't really go anywhere longer than commuting distance to town.

Even the smallest of 250cc bikes will go to 100kph, so you can go on the highway to other towns and the beach and stuff, plus you'll be a "real" biker.
Getting the learners license is easy and fun, www.roadsafe.co.nz does a friendly course most Saturdays and Sundays in central Wellington.

I say go for the big bike. You won't regret it!

Roki_nz
20th June 2008, 16:05
A gn250 would do everything you need or a hyosung comet (the naked one ). Either one of those bikes would do. Also it is a matter of how much do you want to spend. Also get all the gear and make sure it water proof because if you get wet and its a cold and windy day in welly you will get very cold, which can lead to making it harder to control your bike

Btw what style of karate do you do?

NZsarge
20th June 2008, 16:09
The Yamaha Scorpio seems like the perfect beginners bike to me.
Oh...and welcome to KB and good luck getting started, trust me you'll love it.

swedencamilla
20th June 2008, 16:11
Thanks for all the advice!! I like the idea of having a lockable top box. Motorbike certainly sounds more fun. By the way I do seido, haven't tried any other style. Very friendly bunch of people. Find it really great for body, coordination and mind. Try it!!

Roki_nz
20th June 2008, 16:17
OSU!

So do I

I am at the thorndon dojo

MaxCannon
23rd June 2008, 22:10
You haven't mentioned budget

The budget bike of choice is the GN250
Simple design, easy to ride and available in good condition for not much cash.

The Yamaha scorpio is by all accounts a better bike but there are fewer used ones available and they cost a bit more.

From a practicallity standpoint a Scooter is better. Pains me to admit it but the week that I had to ride a scooter (bike was waiting on parts) I found it just so easy.
So light I could spin round in it's own length, no gears to change etc
Kind of like using a toaster. Just flick the switch and it takes care of itself.
The downside is you end up with plain toast at the end. Couldn't wait to hand back the scooter and get back on my bike.

Riding a proper bike is (for me at least) much more satisfying.

I'd suggest having a sit on each option and seeing how you like them.
As the young lady that came and looked at me GN said "these are so much cooler than scooters"

swedencamilla
24th June 2008, 09:04
My budget is somewhat flexible, but I don't really want to spend much more than I have to. If I spend more money I want good resale value. I would be truly stretching it if I get the Ninja. In some ways I wouldn't mind getting a good second hand 250, but there don't seem to be many around and many go for a lot of bucks. A dealer I spoke with yesterday said that the prices of second hand 250s has risen enormously in the last few months. I saw a Hyosung yesterday yesterday, they were asking just under 5 K. It was a 92!! Seems bizarre when you can get a new Scorpio for 3.7 and a new Ninja 250 for just under 7. Strangely in Australia the Scorpios are like 4.4. I don't really want to get a too old one, as I am not particularly savvy with mechanics, although I am thinking of doing a course later on. RoadSafe have a beginners mechanics course over two evenings. Have anyone done it and what do you think?

NZsarge
24th June 2008, 09:28
Phil Turnbull Motorcycles have a second hand Scorpio for sale, sorry I can't remember what it is they have on it price wise but google Phil Turnbull motorcycles and it i'm guessing it should be on their website somewhere.

Edit: Phil Turnbull Motorcycles are in Palmerston North.

avgas
24th June 2008, 09:37
get a lada samara - fantastic learners bike......

seriously WTF

King_Rider
5th July 2008, 09:51
Depends what you are looking for in terms of styling/performance but for commuting/value for money I have heard that the Yamaha Scorpio Z is a great machine and with 225cc its going to be a lot more powerful than that scooter to cope with the hills. If you want something with more power and sport styling you might want to consider the new Kawasaki Ninja 250. While not as cheap as a Scorpio Z they are a much more sophisticated machine and extremelly good value for money. If you are interested:

http://www.kawasaki.co.nz/kawasaki_custom.cfm?modelcode=EX250J8F&do=list

disenfranchised
6th July 2008, 10:11
I saw a Hyosung yesterday yesterday, they were asking just under 5 K. It was a 92!!

That can't be right...Hyosungs started at 2003...you must be thinking of a Honda.

Seems bizarre when you can get a new Scorpio for 3.7 and a new Ninja 250 for just under 7.

The older bikes demand a high price, due to the fact that they aren't made anymore, and they were developed as much more of a race focussed machine....not really aimed at learners at all.

My budget is somewhat flexible, but I don't really want to spend much more than I have to. If I spend more money I want good resale value. I would be truly stretching it if I get the Ninja.

Those expensive older bikes should hold their resale value, at least until the new learner laws come into effect...as long as it doesn't get damaged.

The new bikes around the $7k mark seem to be selling for around the $5k mark after 1-2 years...depending on all the factors like milage etc..

A dealer I spoke with yesterday said that the prices of second hand 250s has risen enormously in the last few months.

Prices have been high for ages...more like years than months.
There are some expectations that this will drop in a couple of years time as the new LAMS scheme comes in, which sees learners able to ride low powered higher capacity bikes.

Depending on what you can find for your money, the Scorpio is probably a good choice
I could also recommend a second hand new model..like the hyosung, kawa gpx, honda vtr etc....
As a second hand bike it has already been run in and any small faults should be ironed out...you don't pay the premium for a new bike, but still get something newish that hasn't been thrashed for the last 15+ years....maybe even get some manufacturers warranty if you're lucky.

swedencamilla
11th July 2008, 18:27
Bought myself a Scorpio today, I am so excited. It wil be delivered beginning of next week. I don't fancy going on the motorway yet, as I have only started to learn to ride motorbikes. Seems like they are going like hotcakes at the moment. The place I bought it from said that they sell about one a day, but they only have one left and then it will be two months until next delivery!

NZsarge
11th July 2008, 18:53
Nice, enjoy your new bike, good choice I believe.
Take care out there.

The Stranger
11th July 2008, 19:12
Red or blue?
Either way, an excellent choice for a learner bike.

swedencamilla
11th July 2008, 21:24
Red!! I like the wheels better with the red one. I think it will hold its value better.

Choco
12th July 2008, 22:40
Well done on getting your first bike!
Take it easy for starters, learn as much as you can and ATGATT!
Ride safe!
Choco

tate35
13th July 2008, 00:36
whoa! thats fantastic news,congrats;)

tate35
13th July 2008, 00:37
p.s i was going too suggest a scorpioZ as thats what i had my eye on
before 'mandi' revealed herself hehe

tate35
13th July 2008, 00:39
and btw,let us know when youve named her/him :niceone:

swedencamilla
18th July 2008, 14:23
I think I will name her Ruby. She is small, easy to handle, gorgeous (as any new parent would find a baby) and red of course. I have taken her for a few rides now and it is getting easier. Was stalling a lot first time. A little jerky i fI am not careful at low speeds. Got some advice to use the clutch instead of the throttle to control the bike at low speeds and this weems to work well. I am still only going on very quiet streets and car parks in order to get the basic skills up first. Great fun!!!! Highly recommended.

ralph4alice
10th December 2008, 22:03
Hey, I had a GN250 for about 4 years; it was brilliant! Nice torquey motor, really easy to handle at low speeds but still good when cruising. Considering buying one again (either GN250, or GN125).

ralph4alice
29th April 2009, 22:01
I ended up getting a Suzuki AN125 on Dec 17th, and started using it for commuting on Jan 12th. Love it; really simple to use, pretty good on the gas, goes to 80kph really well (but don't ever intend to take it much past that), good on the hills --- and it's great having the freedom to make mahh OWN travel schedule. Even the rain isn't bothering me much.

Furbiewankenobi
1st May 2009, 11:10
Hey SwedenCammilla

Congrats on your Scorpio purchase. I bought mine for the same resale reason as you. The bike has got be the easiest available to ride - agreat learner if you've never ridden before. I plan to use mine to get my through my full licence then upgrade since I'm used to something a bit more powerful and sportier. Good news though, I already have a queue of people wanting to buy the bike after me, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Enjoy, have fun, ride safe!

Furbie

P.S. Try using your back brake as well as the clutch and throttle for slow manoevures. It really helps to stand the bike up and balance it.

chasio
4th May 2009, 22:13
You don't need a bike license to ride a scooter

A mild correction: that depends on the scooter of course. You don't need a bike license for a moped if you have a full car license. The rules are a bit more involved than this, but basically anything over 50cc is not a moped and will will require a bike license of some kind, even if it is a scooter :scooter:

Swedencamilla: Congrats on the Scorpio Z - I'd have bought one of those if I didn't have a full license from my scooter that let me jump straight to an XF650 instead :)

Cheers - Chasio

caseye
5th May 2009, 17:39
Congrats on the new bike , enjoy the buzz and keep up the practising in the car parks and quiet streets, ride safe now Ya hear.

Lula
11th May 2009, 12:43
Also check out the Yamaha V Star 250 its light, low and dead easy to ride.