PDA

View Full Version : How much meths to put in tank?

skidMark
20th June 2008, 19:40
Hey guys, quick question.

SUspect there might be water in my tank (may be may be not but just to be sure), its a 23 litre tank, how much methylated spirits do i put in to get rid of afore mentioned water?

Only has about 8 litres in her at the moment, so should i wait until next fill up orrrrrr???

Cheers.

Skid.

Colapop
20th June 2008, 19:42
Depends on how much you can strain through the bread before you pass out...

Ixion
20th June 2008, 19:43
About half a cup to 20 litres. You can do the math

skidMark
20th June 2008, 19:47
About half a cup to 20 litres. You can do the math

Cheers Obe won ton kenobe :eek:

Back to ze garage then i guess...

...Hmmm its cold out there wahhhh.

Might have to turn my heated grips on :shifty:

EDIT: and the engine...and the battery and the tank back on might be a good start

MIXONE
20th June 2008, 19:51
Just throw in a lit match and the water turns to steam.Problem solved.

325rocket
20th June 2008, 19:56
how does this work?

tri boy
20th June 2008, 20:06
how does this work?

The smell of meths draws old mechanic's to the source, (looking for sauce).
They are easy to con into fixing your m/cycle.
Helps to have nubile young woman around also.

skidMark
20th June 2008, 20:07
how does this work?

Somehow the meths picks up the water or something, water heavier than petrol.

So water sits at bottom.

I THINK that meths is heavier than water and thats how it does it, but to be honest im just guessing lol.

Ive heard of it, so im trying it lol

ElCoyote
20th June 2008, 20:10

SUspect there might be water in my tank (may be may be not but just to be sure), its a 23 litre tank, how much methylated spirits do i put in to get rid of afore mentioned water?

Only has about 8 litres in her at the moment, so should i wait until next fill up orrrrrr???

Cheers.

Skid.

It doesn't matter Skiddo. Meths has the ability of mixing with petrol and water, therefore passing through a fuel system and burning at the same time, but more efficiently than petrol, thereby increasing the octane rating. If petrol keeps increasing in price it may be cheaper to use Meths in the bike/car, especially if you buy it at a supermarket in Kaiwakawa and say TVNZ sent you. Isopropolalcohol (IPA) does he same thing, which service stations use to purge their tanks of moisture but does not have the increased octane rating of meths. In fact, if you were to run Whiskey or Vodka in the tank, you would facing a firing squad of the (Speed kills) brigade very quickly. Good luck............Hic.........Hic...........Hic

DatumIT.com.au
23rd June 2009, 21:44
I have same problem and have read in another blog that u should use 100ml metho to 500ml fuel, and best done on an empty or near empty tank!
I have put 500ml metho into about 10 litres of fuel and it did nothing, I am about to dump in a litre of metho and see how long the motor lasts b4 blowing up!, I have heard it is not good to put metho in for many reasons but main one is that it burns hotter.
I use my bike for pick up and delivery of computers as I do computer repair Mascot, i think leaving it in rain and never under cover has caused condensation in tank, also I can see rust forming in tank.

skidMark
23rd June 2009, 21:48
I have same problem and have read in another blog that u should use 100ml metho to 500ml fuel, and best done on an empty or near empty tank!
I have put 500ml metho into about 10 litres of fuel and it did nothing, I am about to dump in a litre of metho and see how long the motor lasts b4 blowing up!, I have heard it is not good to put metho in for many reasons but main one is that it burns hotter.
I use my bike for pick up and delivery of computers as I do computer repair Mascot, i think leaving it in rain and never under cover has caused condensation in tank, also I can see rust forming in tank.

if putting in reccomended meths did nothing at all maybe you have a different problem...

DatumIT.com.au
23rd June 2009, 21:50
Lately though it seems to have stopped working. I think it may be due to the fact that methylated spirits is now ethanol (ethyl alcohol) whereas once it was a different alcohol, probably methyl alcohol, guessing from the name.

skidMark
23rd June 2009, 22:10
Lately though it seems to have stopped working. I think it may be due to the fact that methylated spirits is now ethanol (ethyl alcohol) whereas once it was a different alcohol, probably methyl alcohol, guessing from the name.

shrug...

must be an australian thing....

scumdog
23rd June 2009, 22:15

Cheers.

Skid.

It DON'T work, go on try it, get a coke bottle, put in a little water (couple of tea-spoons) add about half a litre of petrol then add a half cup of meths.

Shake it all up and leave it sitting.

Five minutes later it is all settled in different layers like a cake.
I know, I tried it.

steve_t
23rd June 2009, 22:18
Fill up from near empty with some Gull 98 E10... that'll clear the water from your tank

DatumIT.com.au
23rd June 2009, 22:28
Gull 98 E10, is only 10% ethanol, Metho is 95%, if anything is going to work it will be the 95%?!
Scumdog, I think it affects fuel differently when it is heated? all I know is that a No of Mechanics have said it is what u do?

scumdog
23rd June 2009, 22:37
Gull 98 E10, is only 10% ethanol, Metho is 95%, if anything is going to work it will be the 95%?!
Scumdog, I think it affects fuel differently when it is heated? all I know is that a No of Mechanics have said it is what u do?

Try it for yourself.

It did not work for me and I also showed it to a few KB members - shake up the mixture and you get a dirty-water looking mix but it settles into its various components fairly quickly.