PDA

View Full Version : 6 months in the US

Korumba
21st June 2008, 12:01
I am heading overseas for a year… 6 months touring the US and then Europe.
My Brother lives in Seattle WA and is a resident of the States.
What should I do with my R1 ??

Take it over there

Store it for a year

Or sell it.

What are your thoughts?

jafar
21st June 2008, 12:17
Sell it & use the money to buy a touring bike in the states, don't bring it here as they are cheaper in the U.S.A. than in NZ. Touring on an R1 in the states would be painful.

firefighter
21st June 2008, 12:40
sell it, get a big fat cruiser over there, just seems like the thing I wanted when I was there, I haven't been back for long and the whole time there I just wanted a big fat bike to cruise on the interstate.I agree a sports bike would be boring over there (mostly) big long straight roads with occassional dust tornadoes.

dino3310
21st June 2008, 16:05
korumba your'e welcome to store it at my place on the condition i give her a run once or twice a month(just to keep it lubricated offcourse).:2thumbsup
you could store it and get a good trustworthy mate to give her a run every now an then if you dont wanna part with it.

alanzs
21st June 2008, 16:39
Sell it and buy a bike in the States. Bikes are cheap and plentiful. Get medical insurance no matter what you do. ;)

vfxdog
21st June 2008, 18:49
If you don't need the dosh and you like the bike, store it until you get back. Hook it up to a maintenance charger, give it an oil change, add some fuel stabiliser, and put a cover on it.
R1 wouldn't be a great choice for US touring; there are plenty of suitable bikes available there for very reasonable prices.

Korumba
21st June 2008, 19:17
I don’t need to sell the bike in order to purchase one over there. I was thinking more about what I would get for it now…….

I have been talking to my son and he is keen to buy an R6 or suchlike so maybe a swap and cash may work..

I would not have considered taking it over there but this post somewhat inspired me.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=73327

Thanks for the advice people and yes Insurance is on the list.

alanzs
21st June 2008, 19:21
I don’t need to sell the bike in order to purchase one over there. I was thinking more about what I would get for it now…….

I have been talking to my son and he is keen to buy an R6 or suchlike so maybe a swap and cash may work..

I would not have considered taking it over there but this post somewhat inspired me.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=73327

Thanks for the advice people and yes Insurance is on the list.

The shipping costs, getting it registered, etc., besides being a lot of hassle (it isn't as easy as here, trust me on this) probably make it not worth while, IMHO. Check out ebay and you'll see there are tons of bikes which would suit your touring needs.

Kittyhawk
22nd June 2008, 17:29
Store it cos youll have a toy for when you come back. Its only 12 months. :yes:

munterk6
22nd June 2008, 18:07
Store it cos youll have a toy for when you come back. Its only 12 months. :yes:
:stupid: yep, tuck it up in bed for a year.

Korumba
22nd June 2008, 20:31
I will store it then.... Since nobody has offered to ride it for me while I am gone...

jafar
25th June 2008, 15:25
I will store it then.... Since nobody has offered to ride it for me while I am gone...

Well since you are in a bind , I could be persuaded to give the bike a run for you on a monthly basis.:lol:

nodrog
25th June 2008, 15:31

ill ride it for you bro, but only in a responsible manner in a controlled enviroment, at the track. i'll even put the rego on hold for you so you save some money ;)

Korumba
25th June 2008, 15:33
Cool Thanks.... Will I have to pay the outstanding regos before they put it on hold?

jafar
25th June 2008, 15:38
ill ride it for you bro, but only in a responsible manner in a controlled enviroment, at the track. i'll even put the rego on hold for you so you save some money ;)

Cool Thanks.... Will I have to pay the outstanding regos before they put it on hold?

Aww crap , I thought my luck had changed there for a minute :girlfight:

Korumba
25th June 2008, 15:40
Aww crap , I thought my luck had changed there for a minute :girlfight:
When are you going to the States?

nodrog
25th June 2008, 15:41

na, ill just hand the plate in, then i will save you $$$ in speed camera fines.

see, letting me look after your bike will be a huge financial gain for yourself :devil2:

Mr Merde
25th June 2008, 15:42

Cuz,

You could always store it at my place if you want. Got a double garage just going to waste.

When are you off?

You have to give my regards to your brother Nick from me and mine. Havent seen him for 20 years now.

Chris

jafar
25th June 2008, 15:43
When are you going to the States?

I've been in the states for the last 6 weeks, tonight is my last night here :shit:

Korumba
26th June 2008, 05:53
I Have a friend in SD I will be on or near this road......

This lion was hit by a car at marker 29 on
Interstate 90 on 6-14-08. They estimated him at around 150
pounds!

Marker 29 is 1 mile west of Sturgis, SD.