PDA

View Full Version : South Island trip

Bazil
21st June 2008, 18:16
I was thinking about doing the South Island this summer. Can someone tell me how long it would take for a good trip.

Hitcher
21st June 2008, 18:50
It takes about two days to ride around the South Island, if you hurry. I recommend taking a little longer and actually getting to see some stuff. "How long" depends on how long you've got. Some people who live there still haven't seen it all. Your available time will influence your choice of routes, as will other variables such as weather.

Jantar
21st June 2008, 18:51
Depending on how much you want to see, and how many hours per day you wish to ride, it can take anywhere from 48 hours to a month.

98tls
21st June 2008, 19:15
If me i would take a week.

Korumba
21st June 2008, 19:36
I did it on my KL250A3 when I was 16 … the West Coast is magic as is central Otago, Southland and the top of the Island. Spend as much time in these places as you can and do the East coast in 2 or 3 days,
I did Nelson to Dunedin non stop and on $20.00 gas….those were the days….

xgnr
25th June 2008, 20:57
Like them...

But if time is tight and you are there to ride rather than "see and do" all the touristy things then you can roll down and around in a min of 5 days and comfortable in 10.

Assuming Picton to Picton

Means longish days but if you have more time then take it. Every time I go down i see more places to travel... sigh.

Cheers

Stu

FJRider
25th June 2008, 21:10
The rest of your LIFE... If you come down, you won't WANT to go back. Part time/temporary work to add to the "travel fund"... A year or two... Ask SkidMark what its like down here.
Plenty of KB'rs down here to "bump" into as well.

deeanddude
25th June 2008, 21:14
definately the longer the better, especially throu central, eh fjr?

FJRider
25th June 2008, 21:17
… the West Coast is magic as is central Otago

Shush... its a secret... now every body will know:oi-grr:

FJRider
25th June 2008, 21:20
definately the longer the better, especially throu central, eh fjr?

:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah

Taz
25th June 2008, 21:44
We took 14 days and could easily have used more.
Trip report here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=67930)

And PhotoStory here
<object width="400" height="300"> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=842534&amp;server=www.vimeo.com&amp; show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp; fullscreen=1" /> <embed src="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=842534&amp;server=www.vimeo.com&amp; show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp; fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://www.vimeo.com/842534?pg=embed&sec=842534">New Zealand South Island Motorcycle Tour</a> from <a href="http://www.vimeo.com/user420601?pg=embed&sec=842534">Andy Adams</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com?pg=embed&sec=842534">Vimeo</a>.

oldrider
25th June 2008, 21:44
The end of the world (as we have known it) is nigh, I heard it on TV ONE tonight. :confused:

Aucklanders' are vacating and heading South in their droves, DAMN IT! :mellow:

No more open empty roads to ride on. :ride: :doh:

I knew it was too good to last. :shifty: John.

FJRider
25th June 2008, 23:08
Ok....who Blabbed ????????

Korumba
26th June 2008, 05:32
Shush... its a secret... now every body will know:oi-grr:

Worth Sharing.... the South Island is Tops!

Will be down that way next week, I have lots of People to see before I head overseas, Will I need to bring an extra blanky????

FJRider
26th June 2008, 06:10
Average low temp's of around -5 deg. YOU decide...are you coming on a bike ???

Korumba
26th June 2008, 06:17
Average low temp's of around -5 deg. YOU decide...are you coming on a bike ???

Lol I Grew up in Invercargill....I have two extra blankys packed....

Will be in the car, one or more of the Kids are coming as well...

Can you get chains to fit an R1?

FJRider
26th June 2008, 06:43
SO DID I...Kids will like the snow...CHAINS on an R1 ??? its got ONE, any more and it won't quite be the same....stick to the cage, and enjoy.4WD ???

NighthawkNZ
26th June 2008, 07:35
I was thinking about doing the South Island this summer. Can someone tell me how long it would take for a good trip.

I been here for over half my life and I haven't seen it all... how long you got... :Pokey:

Jantar
26th June 2008, 08:09
Ok....who Blabbed ????????

I don't know who blabbed, but we are already staring to see Auckland's congestion on our roads. On my way to work this morning I couldn't help but notice that there were a record number of cars on the road. I counted 12 cars in the space of 5 kms on Springvale Rd, and a further 5 cars in Clyde. :weep:

oldrider
26th June 2008, 13:28
There was a car parked down near the shop this morning, now that is 100% increase in congestion! :oi-grr:

Bloody Aucklanders, there's no stopping them now! :lol: John.

FJRider
26th June 2008, 19:18
I don't know who blabbed, but we are already staring to see Auckland's congestion on our roads. On my way to work this morning I couldn't help but notice that there were a record number of cars on the road. I counted 12 cars in the space of 5 kms on Springvale Rd, and a further 5 cars in Clyde. :weep:

Rush hour...:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: ?????

Bazil
29th June 2008, 09:20
Awesome, thanks for the look at your trip. Bazil

Bazil
29th June 2008, 09:36
We took 14 days and could easily have used more.
Trip report here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=67930)

And PhotoStory here

Very cool - thanks

Chad
2nd July 2008, 20:31
Queen Charlotte shouldn't be over looked either. Its only a couple hours (I think, been a while) but make for a nice meandering doddle through beaut landscape. Good way to start OR end trip if weather is good. I've been mulling over idea of South island trip this summer aswell. Currently plannin a northy up through corro and northland, but would really like to do south aswell.

doc
2nd July 2008, 20:47

Gridlocked huh ?

paulj
5th July 2008, 12:43

Traffic to play with .... 12 cars in a line ... nirvana ... bring it on ... the seal down here is tedious otherwise..

Must be something in the water in InverVegas - me too - born n bred there ... mind you I'm still barking mad after doing the pig route last Sunday - snow ploughing for a short burst through Wedderburn ... NOT FUNNY ! no cars to play with and apart from some smart ass mbiker on the Bannockburn straight who must have been touching 200km/Hr as he passed me, nothing of note.

On a similar theme - anyone catch the Autobahn doco on Sky this week? There's some seriously enlightened traffic attitude and roading engineering. My mbike friend would have been in the granny lane there! Don't suppose with the new RUC's that John or Helen will do one over here? ... hmmmm ... they have a good start - Hitler set up the Jerry one.