PDA

View Full Version : North Islander going south

muzzle
22nd June 2008, 18:04
I have lived in the Wiakato all my life and have never taken a bike around the South Island. I have just been laid off work after 23 years of service and I thought it is now or never. The plan as to go for a month or two any time between August and December. My wife is ok with me going but I want to be back home for Christmas. I have a Husqvana TE610 so I can go pretty much where ever the road or the job offers takes me. I will be looking for temp work (fruit picking farm work ect) and cheap accommodation along the way. Any advice, help, job or accommodation offers would be greatly appreciated.

kerfufflez
28th June 2008, 11:07
Too bad about getting laid off work, but I hope the South Island trip goes well for you.

Don't know if you're interested in something like the Burt Munro Challenge?

The dates are 28th-30th November, in/near Invercargill and Wyndham, Southland.
You might be able to use a cheap ferry deal to your advantage, getting home again.

http://burtmunrochallenge.southlandnz.com/

offrd
13th July 2008, 23:06
Ahhhh that is no good muz!

Least you got that 610!

GurlRacer
22nd July 2008, 15:34
There is so much to do and see in the south island in regards to roads! In ride for life we stayed on tarmac and did the whole coastline, started in Nelson headed down the west coast and then back up through Dunedin and Chch...

But if you're looking for something a little more adventurous then you can do the passes that go between the coasts. Dad loved the Molesworth/Rainbow station run, start in Hamner Springs (off memory, correct me if I'm wrong) and end up somewhere near Kaikoura. :) The adventure riders from down south would certainly know more! :)

But if you have any more questions, just send me a PM. I still have all the old maps here that Dad used on his trips down there, well we did plenty of them!! Motorbikes, 4X4's and rally cars! :)

southernmike
24th July 2008, 13:31
I spent a year traveling NZ doing seasonal work. Grape pruning in Blenheim, milking various animals, etc. Apart from the obvious presenting yourself at a Vineyard try calling in to the local PGG or CRT and ask if anyone is looking for casual labour. Often accommodation can come with the job or at least a spot to pitch a tent.

-easy--rider-
1st September 2008, 18:00
let me know if youll be around chch anythime soon. can show you good roads and probly get you some work.

my-bonaventure
3rd September 2008, 17:11
Great riding on and off road in the south island and a fantastic bunch of KBers down here ;-) Make sure you get to the Burt Munro rally if you can as it's the best rally out :scooter:

oldrider
13th September 2008, 23:09
So what is happening with this trip, where have you got to with it? Cheers John.