PDA

View Full Version : Honda studying airbags for motorcycles?

Bob
6th January 2005, 00:56
Honda has launched research into developing airbags for motorcycles.

According to Japanese publication Yomiuri Shimbun, Honda aims to develop an airbag that will fit under the handlebars and protect the driver from the head to lower back when it is opened in the event of an accident. This was to be made commercially available in about three years.

No immediate comment was available from Honda, according to the report.

StoneChucker
6th January 2005, 01:06
What constitutes an accident? What about a "hard" wheelie landing? Hey, if they put 2 more wheels on, they'll be able to fit some doors on, and have side airbags, and seat belts :stupid:

Nah, just t.t.p. If it worked, I'm all for improved safety.

Bob
6th January 2005, 02:22
Of course, airbags are nothing new, BMW devised a system some years ago I believe - but it was an optional extra and cost something like a couple of thousand dollars (US) for the privilege.

And we've lived under the threat of some awful additional protection being forced on us for years by well-meaning politicians - leg protectors anyone?

(Shudder)

RiderInBlack
6th January 2005, 06:56
I heard a guy what was developing air bags for leathers with a tether strap so if you came off you turned into michellin man.. sounds like a better idea.So had I. Didn't Beemer make a suit like that?

James Deuce
6th January 2005, 07:14
Hmm, trying to see how blimmin air bags would work on a bike... nup cant think of nuffin.

protect from high side.. no
protect from lowside.....no (ask frosty)
activated after hard landing wheelie? probbly
I heard a guy what was developing air bags for leathers with a tether strap so if you came off you turned into michellin man.. sounds like a better idea.

'cept when you forget to take the tether off at the servo and HOLY CRAP look at that guy mum!

You can already buy a Rivet Airbag. Been out for a couple of years. The tether needs more than a casual yank to set it off.

http://bikebiz.com.au/shop/en-us/p_1575.html

vifferman
6th January 2005, 07:35
You can already buy a Rivet Airbag. Been out for a couple of years. The tether needs more than a casual yank to set it off.

http://bikebiz.com.au/shop/en-us/p_1575.htmlThere's also some Italian model (brought out before the Rivet one) that instead of a tether has some electronic activation, operated by the interaction between a sensor on the front of the bike and one on the vest, so if there's a rapid separation of the two (rather than the rider just leaving the bike), it activates the gas cartridge.

Blakamin
6th January 2005, 08:06
It'd go off and knock you backwards off the bike!

riffer
6th January 2005, 08:37
I can't think of anything more ridiculous than airbags on a motorcycle :(

I suppose we will need to have seat belts on them next. :no:

Coyote
6th January 2005, 08:53
Why not put an ejection seat on the bike so when triggered, you will blast away from the crash scene and (hopefully) glide back down on a parachute

Sheer Genius!!!

Biff
6th January 2005, 14:14
shit - next thing you know bike will have ashtrays!!

hang on didn't GoldWings have them?

riffer
6th January 2005, 14:19
Why not put an ejection seat on the bike so when triggered, you will blast away from the crash scene and (hopefully) glide back down on a parachute

Sheer Genius!!!

Not quite.

How do you compensate for sideways, or forwards movement.

You'd be more like to be catapulted into an object.

How'd you do in Physics last year Alarumba?
:msn-wink:

Coyote
6th January 2005, 14:28
Not quite.

How do you compensate for sideways, or forwards movement.

You'd be more like to be catapulted into an object.
Thats why I added (hopefully)

How'd you do in Physics last year Alarumba?
:msn-wink:
Excelled in basic Yr10 Physics, but Yr11 is when we get taught the proper stuff :niceone:

Other unessersary add-on's that would suit the goldwing: Spolier, Pillion DVD Player/Console, rider arm rests, cup holder, toilet roll holder and a Pillion ejection seat(actually, thats not a bad idea :devil2: )

vifferman
6th January 2005, 14:29
shit - next thing you know bike will have ashtrays!!
Well, mine's got heated grips, and a cigarette lighter.:o
Actually, that latter point's not really true: it's actually just the socket, installed a couple of days ago to plug things into.

Like the coffee maker... :confused2

Coyote
6th January 2005, 14:37

Cigarette lighter isn't a bad thing. If you had strapped a rocket on the pillion seat, it would be a convienient way to light it

Biff
6th January 2005, 15:36
Actually, that latter point's not really true: it's actually just the socket, installed a couple of days ago to plug things into.

Like the coffee maker... :confused2

I installed heated grips and a ciggie lighter socket last week too. Albeit my socket is one of those minature ones. I now plug my radar dtector into it and was even sad enough to place a minature plug onto a travel kettle last week ready for my big south island trip next week. I must be getting old!!

Sparky Bills
6th January 2005, 15:47

Comes in handy when you get a slow driver holding everyone up.
Just heat up and chuck through the window into the lap.
That'll fix em! HEHe :devil2: :devil2:

Only Beema and Honda riders would need airbags! :banana:

Jackrat
6th January 2005, 18:13
Hey I know,how about electric starters so girls can ride to :eek:

Slingshot
6th January 2005, 18:58
I installed heated grips and a ciggie lighter socket last week too. Albeit my socket is one of those minature ones. I now plug my radar dtector into it and was even sad enough to place a minature plug onto a travel kettle last week ready for my big south island trip next week. I must be getting old!!
I too installed a ciggie lighter, velcroed behind the fairing under the seat. It's to power the electric air pump for the air bed. It also came in handy for charging the cellphone on the trip as well.

RiderInBlack
6th January 2005, 19:55
Only Beema and Honda riders would need airbags! :banana:Not when we are riding with non-honda riders that whine-on like old wind-bags:whocares: :beer:

Ghost Lemur
6th January 2005, 22:09
All I can say is... ewwwwww.

What's next? Two extra wheels to increase stability. :Pokey:

Biff
7th January 2005, 13:12
Hey, I think I've just come up with a fantastic invention. A pipe that you fit up your sphincter before you mount a bike. This pipe would be connected to various air big type devices. Upon an imminent collision with a cage, road surface etc the immense bowel movement that naturally occurs would inflate said air bags. Where’s the nearest patent office?

Waylander
20th January 2005, 14:10
Thats why I added (hopefully)

Excelled in basic Yr10 Physics, but Yr11 is when we get taught the proper stuff :niceone:

Other unessersary add-on's that would suit the goldwing: Spolier, Pillion DVD Player/Console, rider arm rests, cup holder, toilet roll holder and a Pillion ejection seat(actually, thats not a bad idea :devil2: )

most goldwings have armrest and now you can get them added aftermarket to almost any bike

bondagebunny
20th January 2005, 14:30
only Honda could come up with crap like this. Thank God for HD - they are 50 years behind the times and Ill be dead before they catch up to crap thinking like this

Krusti
20th January 2005, 15:01
Built my Air bag her own Trike. :lol: Shit here she comes :bash: No I really miss you on the back sweety :whistle:

inlinefour
22nd January 2005, 09:12
Honda has launched research into developing airbags for motorcycles.

According to Japanese publication Yomiuri Shimbun, Honda aims to develop an airbag that will fit under the handlebars and protect the driver from the head to lower back when it is opened in the event of an accident. This was to be made commercially available in about three years.

No immediate comment was available from Honda, according to the report.

Perhaps they could double the new technology as a rider ejection seat? :rockon:

Biff
25th January 2005, 12:53
only Honda could come up with crap like this.

This invention could save someone’s life, so how exactly does that make this idea crap?

You mean like seatbelts were crap in the 1940's?
Like airbags in cars were crap in the 1980's?

Both ideas that were much maligned when introduced but are now in widespread use around the world, and are credited for saving the lives of thousands, probably tens of thousands of peoples lives.

:thud:

Fryin Finn
25th January 2005, 13:14
I like the idea of blow up jackets - just imagine, you get flipped off your bike, bounce into an oncoming car, get bounced back into the front of a car coming your way - just like ping pong. What fun. :blink:

RiderInBlack
25th January 2005, 20:15
Now if they made them to protect the expenive pieces of shit in the sides of my bike, that would be cool:niceone:

inlinefour
28th January 2005, 03:03
Now if they made them to protect the expenive pieces of shit in the sides of my bike, that would be cool:niceone:
the thought of a sports bike with air bags just does not work for me :mellow: