PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Post Classic Rules Changes - MNZ require feedback

markc
26th June 2008, 07:17
Check out the MNZ website for proposed changes to the Post Classic rules:

http://www.mnz.co.nz/newsDetail.aspx?SectionID=29&ArticleID=28107

The close off date for comments is the end of June.

sugilite
1st July 2008, 13:02
Looks good to me, and yay, at last Pre89 will be a legit class...better start building some bikes you South Islanders! :woohoo:

TZ350
7th September 2008, 19:55
Can someone help? It looks like fuel is open for pre 72 and pre 89 two strokes and restricted for pre 82, am I reading this right?

If pre 72 & 89 fuel for two strokes can be open, why not for pre 82, who benifits from this restriction in pre82?

Should be open for all?

malcy25
8th September 2008, 17:40
Can someone help? It looks like fuel is open for pre 72 and pre 89 two strokes and restricted for pre 82, am I reading this right?

If pre 72 & 89 fuel for two strokes can be open, why not for pre 82, who benifits from this restriction in pre82?

Should be open for all?

Rob

You might want to read the whole set a bit closer and then look at the rules the additional rules referred to a bit closer.

The pre 82 and Pre 89 rules on fuel are the same.....
Both say 2 strokes as per rule 10.17.1 which is open to racing fuels only up to certain characteristics of avgas or FIM unleaded (ie not limited to pump).

TZ350
9th September 2008, 17:16
Thanks. Have done.

Peter Smith
28th November 2008, 15:02
Looks Good.:wari:
I have run my 89 GSXR1100 at a couple of there meetings and had a ball.
The pre 89 allows for some good old fashioned budget racing.
e.g. my ex-wife got all my money.:whocares:

scracha
17th December 2008, 15:13
Looks good to me, and yay, at last Pre89 will be a legit class...better start building some bikes you South Islanders! :woohoo:

"25-6-4: Forks
White Power and Ohlins had very limited supplies of USD forks available to special teams on their works
or works issue motorcycles.. These specific forks may be used if originally fitted to the bike in question.
(eg 888 Corsa Superbike). The onus of proof is on the rider."

Bye bye half the pre 89 field.

sugilite
17th December 2008, 17:18
Does it? I've not noticed any ohlins, white power forks on pre 89 machines, but I'm a little out of touch on what bikes are floating around up AK way.
If people are running forks from later models of their machines - then tough bickies, they were already breaking the spirit of the rules.

It does not affect me, my bikes only mods are slightly heavier clutch springs and a muzzy exhaust, other than that, bone stock.

Funnily enough, I'm working on my bike right now :yes:

Deano
17th December 2008, 17:58
Funnily enough, I'm working on my bike right now :yes:

So Paul and Drew might have to work for their money next year ? :woohoo:

sugilite
17th December 2008, 21:04
So Paul and Drew might have to work for their money next year ? :woohoo:

Gawd, I'm not planning that far ahead :lol:
Something a bit closer :yes:

malcy25
18th December 2008, 14:16
"25-6-4: Forks
White Power and Ohlins had very limited supplies of USD forks available to special teams on their works
or works issue motorcycles.. These specific forks may be used if originally fitted to the bike in question.
(eg 888 Corsa Superbike). The onus of proof is on the rider."

Bye bye half the pre 89 field.

YOur quote above is missing a bit - I think the full rule reads:
25-6-4: Forks
Upside down forks are prohibited unless originally fitted to the bike model in the period. Forks must be period items. Internal spring and valving modifications are permitted.
White Power and Ohlins had very limited supplies of USD forks available to special teams on their works or works issue motorcycles.. These specific forks may be used if originally fitted to the bike in question. (eg 888 Corsa Superbike). The onus of proof is on the rider.

This means that one production model which did have upside downers from the factory - ZXR400's can have them.

That's the only bike found which has good real proof of being legal with USD's. Others may exist, just means that the owner has to find enough proof and I haven't seen any yet

This rule basically says:
1) the said bike can use those forks, but the forks must be the oem forks and fitted to that model (ie no NC30 with ZXR forks must be ZXR forks on ZXR bike)
2) Should someone front with a factory 888 or like which has period Ohlins fitted is okay ( I have magazine tests by cathcart where both the 1988 Factory Bimota YB4EIR's and 888 had Marzocchi and Ohlins USD forks fitted which proves they were used on those specific bikes)
3) That later model USD forks are otherwise banned in pre 89.

So either bikes fit in the above options or they are burgling it anyway and as Sugilite said - tough bikies.

Makes sense to me

scracha
19th December 2008, 07:49
YOur quote above is missing a bit - I think the full rule reads:

I only quoted the relevant bit. Yep, there are quite a few pre 89 400's running ohlins etc.

Doesn't say nowt about swapping engines from other model though :-)

malcy25
19th December 2008, 11:48
I only quoted the relevant bit. Yep, there are quite a few pre 89 400's running ohlins etc.

Shock or forks?

Shock is fine as it is technically not a major component.
Fork: Can't say I have seen any Pre 89 400's with Ohlin's front forks. If they did there is almost totaly probability that they are later than 1989 forks anyway. ie majorly illegal!! Forks are a major component and thus must comply with the specific cut off dates for the age group (this applies across all postie classes) would make them not eligible for Pre 89.

The rules being set to mimic as best as possible who the bikes were at the time. Late model out of period Ohlins forks sort of doesn't fit with that!!

So if they have them fitted thus far there's been a bit of "legal burgling" going on, given there were no formal Pre 89 rules prior to this and I doubt anything in the Supp regs stating what was legal. Introduction and formalisation of a properl set of pre 89 rules will/should eradicate this behaviour. But up until now it's been somewhat open as there has been nothing to enforece again, so people take the piss a little.

Seems you guys have got a handle on what the rules actaully encompass anyway.

Cheers

dangerous
22nd April 2009, 06:19
If people are running forks from later models of their machines - then tough bickies, they were already breaking the spirit of the rules.
IIRC forks were never alowd to be changed to post what ever year, Im refering to pre 82 where I know of some bikes that do ues later forks :bash:

Wheels I disagree with, modern 17" and slicks I cant compete with... but its allowd, right off to read of these proposed changes.

PeteJ
29th April 2009, 11:46
IIRC forks were never alowd to be changed to post what ever year, Im refering to pre 82 where I know of some bikes that do ues later forks :bash:

Wheels I disagree with, modern 17" and slicks I cant compete with... but its allowd, right off to read of these proposed changes.

1. You can protest the rule-defying forks, you know.

2. 17" and slicks have been allowed under the MNZ rules for pre-82 Open for years. Recently changed to allow for the smaller machines, too. Rules 25-4-2 and 24-4-3 now.

Kickaha
29th April 2009, 18:52

That's to do with availibility rather than anything else, because the forks they are using are just as crap as the standard ones

dangerous
29th April 2009, 19:27
That's to do with availibility rather than anything else, because the forks they are using are just as crap as the standard ones
so you found no advantages with yours then? still pogoed like hell if not under power in a corner?

Kickaha
29th April 2009, 19:37
so you found no advantages with yours then? still pogoed like hell if not under power in a corner?

They were just as crap as the standard ones, they were only used because it was the cheap option rather than rechrome to fix a continually leaking fork seal

Yow Ling
30th April 2009, 19:37

You could buy emulators or even try different oil /spring/ oil volume. Just because you have a handling problem doesnt mean it cant be fixed.

Yow Ling
30th April 2009, 19:39
1. You can protest the rule-defying forks, you know.

2. 17" and slicks have been allowed under the MNZ rules for pre-82 Open for years. Recently changed to allow for the smaller machines, too. Rules 25-4-2 and 24-4-3 now.

If he did that he wouldnt have anyone to build his engines.

Kickaha
30th April 2009, 19:43

Look what happened to the last one you built though:whistle:

dangerous
30th April 2009, 19:50
Im cool, Im cool... its all cool, cool as a cool thing :hug:

Yow Ling
30th April 2009, 19:54
Look what happened to the last one you built though:whistle:

That was the second to last, and he just wanted to push it back to the pits in front of the spectators

PeteJ
1st May 2009, 11:56

If you're not prepared to protest, you shouldn't whinge, then.

The protest was designed 100 years ago as the only proper way to deal with a competitor's tech infringements, and it still is.

dangerous
1st May 2009, 18:33
If you're not prepared to protest, you shouldn't whinge, then.

The protest was designed 100 years ago as the only proper way to deal with a competitor's tech infringements, and it still is.

ohhh, dont you worry I protest, whinge, bitch and complain all the time... LOL give me a reason and Im into it :woohoo:

gatch
5th May 2009, 21:57
regarding engines etc..

Nowhere does it SPECIFICALLY say that the engine has to be from the original bike right, so if I was to get say a pre 89 xr650 motor and bang it in my 89 spada would that be ok ? Any thoughts ?

Or would that be not keeping with "the style of the time" or somethin like that

dangerous
6th May 2009, 06:09
regarding engines etc..

Nowhere does it SPECIFICALLY say that the engine has to be from the original bike right, so if I was to get say a pre 89 xr650 motor and bang it in my 89 spada would that be ok ? Any thoughts ?

Or would that be not keeping with "the style of the time" or somethin like that

yeah that would be fine, as long as all components are pre dec 89 :yes:

gatch
6th May 2009, 13:04
FUCKIN PRIMO

Said project is already on the cards, it just means if i can find the old motor I can cross enter post classic and f3, I don't thinmk I'll be competitive in either but thats a whole bunch of track time !!!!

Fuck, I'm dribbling !

dangerous
6th May 2009, 14:14
FUCKIN PRIMO

Said project is already on the cards, it just means if i can find the old motor I can cross enter post classic and f3, I don't thinmk I'll be competitive in either but thats a whole bunch of track time !!!!

Fuck, I'm dribbling ! well do check for ya self, seems thers often differant alowances between the two islands... we have a couple hibrids in posties.
http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/download/Chapter_25_Post_Classic_Road_Racing.pdf

gatch
6th May 2009, 15:07
Yup I've been over the mnz rules before, for f3 and the new post classic page, I think I'll go ahead with it and if I get absolutely thrashed by everyone I'll probably put it back on the road mwahahaha.

And start a club "hoons r us"