PDA

View Full Version : What the...?

Oscar
6th January 2005, 21:40
Jeez, you leave the joint fer a minute...

Motu
6th January 2005, 22:09
The moturator of this forum test rides the bikes of all that enter - hand it over!....and give us a leg up please? What do you ride now? you change your bikes like I change my socks,guess you need a new one to match the cop car....

I fitted the correct size rear tyre to the XT and lowered the seat height 10mm last week,so today I fitted a TT rear shock and raised it 20mm,I can't figure out my sag,I've totaly lost the plot - I'm just going to have to set it up by the seat of my pants.

Oscar
7th January 2005, 08:17
The moturator of this forum test rides the bikes of all that enter - hand it over!....and give us a leg up please? What do you ride now? you change your bikes like I change my socks,guess you need a new one to match the cop car....

I fitted the correct size rear tyre to the XT and lowered the seat height 10mm last week,so today I fitted a TT rear shock and raised it 20mm,I can't figure out my sag,I've totaly lost the plot - I'm just going to have to set it up by the seat of my pants.

I've still got me LC4 and the Tedium.
Is the TT shock any longer than the XT one? My "seat of the pants" contribution would be that all things being equal (like shock length) I expect the TT shock would be set up stiffer (internal valving and spring rate), but the XT is heavier so that things would balance out...?

Motu
8th January 2005, 09:45
Yeah,I'm bamboozald - the shocks were identical eye to eye,but checking with the spring on is not accurate,so maybe 5mm I didn't pick up turns to 30mm in the bike - I took a fully extended measurement before and after,30mm more extention.I'm cranking the preload up to set the sag,but sitting on the bike it feels way too hard,get off and it feels ok.The dampening adjustment seems too coarse - one clip up is too hard,one click down too soft.I'm just going to go for a ride and see how far off I am in the real world - but it's not setting up like any other shock I've adjusted.

I got it off Peter Groves who had Colemans rebuild it for him.Of course Pete's much bigger than me...but these things are adjustable,that's the whole point eh? Maybe a smart cookie who builds a shock takes into account the rider and how he rides I need more beer and pasta to get up to Pete's weight,that will fix it!

Wellyman
8th January 2005, 11:25
What the!!! Motu is a moderator in here. hmmmmmmmm never noticed that. how did you become one motu? tell us all your secret. you have been bribing spankme haven't you!