PDA

View Full Version : Has it been thrashed to death already ?

wolverine
7th January 2005, 00:06
Actually I have two questions for general consumption :

First, I'm looking at stepping up from a GN250 (cautious start I know,...) to something in the 400 range. I've spotted a few bikes around (bikepoint.co.nz) just within my price range but how can I tell if I'm buying a racier bike that hasn't been trashed already ? Most are pushing +10 years old. Is it a matter of trusting the dealership and any aftersales they offer ? :eek5:

Second, and this is just something random that occured to me riding home from work tonight, in the lovely summer weather we are having at the moment (yes, I mean pissing down) is it better to ride in the tyre track marks in the lane or in between them ? I.e. which is slicker in the rain, the tyre rubber strip or the potentially oil spotted strip ? :sweatdrop

StoneChucker
7th January 2005, 00:26
I personally ride in the tyre tracks in the rain, as the water has been displaced for me already.

Not sure about the bike though. Whats your price range? I'm possibly selling my bike :msn-wink:

scumdog
7th January 2005, 00:34
Ride the right side tyre track, the left one puts you too far to the left and out of lin-of-sight of following traffic, riding in the centre puts you in the track of deepest surface water plus you are in the 'oil slick' region where any oil dropping from passing vehicles lands on the road. :eek:

Mr Skid
7th January 2005, 00:35

First, I'm looking at stepping up from a GN250 (cautious start I know,...) to something in the 400 range. I've spotted a few bikes around (bikepoint.co.nz) just within my price range but how can I tell if I'm buying a racier bike that hasn't been trashed already ? Most are pushing +10 years old. Is it a matter of trusting the dealership and any aftersales they offer ? :eek5:

Second, and this is just something random that occured to me riding home from work tonight, in the lovely summer weather we are having at the moment (yes, I mean pissing down) is it better to ride in the tyre track marks in the lane or in between them ? I.e. which is slicker in the rain, the tyre rubber strip or the potentially oil spotted strip ? :sweatdrop

It's generally agreed that the right hand wheel track is the best place to be. This is because most stuff that leaks from vehicles tends to be depositied in the middle of the lane. Of the muck that is depositied in either wheel track, other vehicles will usually pick it up on their wheels, so the wheeltracks are the cleanest place to be (usually).

Two reasons I can think of for being in the right hand wheel track. Firstly, it stops cagers from trying to push past you, as you're more prominent on the right of the lane. Secondly, it places your further away from the left hand side of the road, this means that you'll see cars pulling out of streets on your left earlier.

If you're interested in learning a bit more about road craft, BRONZ run training courses out at Whenuapai that cover useful things like this.

Stepping up to a 400 sounds like a good idea. It'll probably be quite a step up from your current steed, but I get the impression they are quite versatile beasts.

Are you wedded to the idea of getting a sportsbike? I only ask as there are some 400/600cc twins out there that would be more similar to what you've got at the moment if a naked bike is of interest.

As for bikes being thrashed / old, as long as you accept that you're going to be buying a older bike, and then associated maintainence possibilities you'll be ok. Lots of them come out of Japan with very low k's, but things like manifold seals and stuff will perish with time, ridden or not.

scumdog
7th January 2005, 00:57
In the 'old days' my mate could never figure out how I knew we were about to hit a sudden dip when cruising in his '57 Chev, thing was I could see the dark (oil) stain on the 'far' side of the dip in the road, same applies to todays roads and motorbikes.

Ghost Lemur
7th January 2005, 01:07
Ride the right side tyre track, the left one puts you too far to the left and out of lin-of-sight of following traffic, riding in the centre puts you in the track of deepest surface water plus you are in the 'oil slick' region where any oil dropping from passing vehicles lands on the road. :eek:

What he said.

On the bike front. If you're really concerned you could always get a different mechanic/shop to give the bike a thourough once over. Failing that getting one with a decent service history, etc, should hold you in good steed. As has been mention elsewhere here (and hense how I know it), high k's aren't as much of a concern as lack of maintainence (ie oil/filter changes, etc).
If need be I'm sure an experienced KB'er here would be more than happy to take a look/test ride a machine you're interested in (on your behalf) and then give you a educated opinion on it.

There's a wealth of experience here. Welcome aboard.

scumdog
7th January 2005, 01:14
If you come from a small town ( such as my area) things are easier as you soon hear how 'snogly-jinbly' treated his bike and hence you can figure out if it is a good buy.

In the big city you take your chances!!

Bonez
7th January 2005, 05:53
If you come from a small town ( such as my area) things are easier as you soon hear how 'snogly-jinbly' treated his bike and hence you can figure out if it is a good buy.

In the big city you take your chances!!Good for when you trade up :)

Bonez
7th January 2005, 05:59

First, I'm looking at stepping up from a GN250 (cautious start I know,...) to something in the 400 range. I've spotted a few bikes around (bikepoint.co.nz) just within my price range but how can I tell if I'm buying a racier bike that hasn't been trashed already ? Most are pushing +10 years old. Is it a matter of trusting the dealership and any aftersales they offer ? :eek5: Nothing wrong with being cautious when starting out. Have you considered the 500 twins available at all.

James Deuce
7th January 2005, 06:07
Check out XJR400s, and CB400s, and the like. Naked versions of the sportsbikes with less radical riding positions and comfy seats and stuff.

Or even this one:
http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=624921&TabID=3553&Alias=bikepointnz

It's in lovely nick, and I'll vouch for TSS being straight up. Don't get hung up on looking in your area too much, as you will find that most dealers have a way of getting bikes to you wherever you are. The good old Kiwibiker network can check the bikes out for you as well, in just about any location.

Have fun looking and try to keep your mind open to possibilities you haven't considered.

Coyote
7th January 2005, 08:04
Wilkommen to the site Wolverine. Nice Avatar :niceone:

What bike are you after? Are you looking for something sporty (i.e VFR400) or something smoother (i.e CB400)?

Blakamin
7th January 2005, 08:12
but how can I tell if I'm buying a racier bike that hasn't been trashed already ? Most are pushing +10 years old. Is it a matter of trusting the dealership and any aftersales they offer ? :eek5:

Thats a real tricky question... I have a friend who was looking at 400's sportbikes last weekend and was told that they were mainly manufactured for racing so dont tend to want to be babied....?????.... (by a bike shop in PN)

also remember that not many countries got 400's for the road.... they are getting old and a lot are getting worn.... parts aren't cheap coz of the racing factor and engines to buy are like rocking-horse shit (like when I wanted FZR400 engine 5 months ago...still cant find one... and dont want it anymore anyway)

[edit]theres a CBR400rr at Motomart.... a bit pricey tho

have you thought of 600's????? like paparazzi said, some of the twins are cool!

750Y
7th January 2005, 09:45
most sporty bikes have been thrashed and the smaller the engine usually the harder thrashed they've been. 2 words...service history. if there's no evidence that the bikes been well maintained it likely hasn't been.

Coyote
7th January 2005, 10:21
You could get a nice 600 Bandit.

Although, what is your price limit?

James Deuce
7th January 2005, 10:24
You could get a nice 600 Bandit.

Although, what is your price limit?

(Anyone whose got one and likes it, close your eyes while reading this)

There's no such thing. The Hornet I rode and loathed at least had a lovely engine, that was mental as disturbed cricket on P. The Bandit doesn't even have that going for it. A GN250 feels peppy around town, and the Bandit 600 would be a bit of a shock.

wolverine
8th January 2005, 18:39
Thanks all for the advice and pointers in the right direction !

I was looking for something sportier like the VFR or similar, but I've still got till the end of the month before I get my full licence anyway, so that should give me plently of time to digest the above and keep looking around

Think i'll go quiz Red Baron on their aftersales and if they have the service history on a couple of their bikes :innocent:

My budget also depends on how much I can get for my GN250, what do ppl reckon is a good asking price for it ? 2004, 1800km, Ventura pack rack, good nick ?

Zapf
9th January 2005, 08:27
u could also look at a SV650S... 650 Twin. bit cheaper than a VFR too

Coyote
9th January 2005, 14:35
My budget also depends on how much I can get for my GN250, what do ppl reckon is a good asking price for it ? 2004, 1800km, Ventura pack rack, good nick ?
If your lucky, you could get away with 2500. Realisticly, probebly 2200. Have seen some dealers push their luck with old '80s GNs and try and sell them for 1800-2000.

BTW, I'm no expert, so it would be best to listen to someone else on this one :p