PDA

View Full Version : Start up rituals.

FROSTY
7th January 2005, 07:18
Watching a cd the other night made me wonder about other bikers pre and after ride rituals.
I always sit and thank my bike for the ride we are about to enjoy. It helps me focus i think.
Do any of you lot do anything similar?

riffer
7th January 2005, 07:22
Watching a cd the other night made me wonder about other bikers pre and after ride rituals.
I always sit and thank my bike for the ride we are about to enjoy. It helps me focus i think.

I always check my front brake, after an interesting incident going out to Martinborough one time. My brakes are a bit spongy so I always give them a number of pumps to get them going. And I wiggle my bike from side to side to check there's fuel.

I think I might add check my oil filter cover to the list too now...

FROSTY
7th January 2005, 07:26
and look for bits of viffer embedded in your radiator :baby:

toads
7th January 2005, 07:29

I always check the fuel, and then pat the tank and warn the bike to behave itself!! And then I say to her, come on old bitch lets go, but then I'm definately bonkers!

Sparky Bills
7th January 2005, 07:34
On the starting grid I always pump the front brake a couple times, and push down on the forks.
Before I get on the bike I do a bit of a stretch, then when on the dummy grid, I try to have some time to myself, just to get focused and switched on.
After a race, I look at the tyres. I dont know why.. I just want to see how they have been wearing.

avgas
7th January 2005, 07:37
Had an ineresting ritual with the Kwaka 100 i had. Try start 3 times, then drop it on the ground, kick it till i eventually hurt myself, pick it up, Try start 3 times.............
Oh yeh and the GB, 1/4 choke, pump the kickstart, no choke, 1/4 throttle, kick it.
Called my bikes some horrible names when they didnt start too.

Riff Raff
7th January 2005, 07:41
I sit on her for a minute or so and try to merge minds with her so to speak... and transmit thoughts of an enjoyable, safe ride. And then I give her an affectionate pat on the tank and off we go....

Blakamin
7th January 2005, 07:47
Roll her out of the gargre (backwards).... have a few quiet words (good morning etc) and fire her up.... choose 1st, ride to the front door, select neutral.... let idle while get gear on.... have a listen...mmmmm... open gate and hit the road!

Racey Rider
7th January 2005, 07:48
then when on the dummy grid, I try to have some time to myself, just to get focused and switched on.

When I'm on the dummy grid, I often seem to be sitting on the bike, rocking it back and forward on my toes. Helps to relieve tension before "Go TIME"
Probabley looks really dumb. But just wait till I start winning come this winter series,, then everyone will be doing it

Coyote
7th January 2005, 08:00
How to start the KX: Kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, break your leg, curse, kick, kick, it starts, you stall it, curse, kick, kick, it starts, you tug to hard on the throttle, you wheelie, you stall it, curse, kick, kick, it starts, it goes, much jubilation, crash

Gasman
7th January 2005, 08:01
I pray that it will start!

Sparky Bills
7th January 2005, 08:03
When I'm on the dummy grid, I often seem to be sitting on the bike, rocking it back and forward on my toes. Helps to relieve tension before "Go TIME"
Probabley looks really dumb. But just wait till I start winning come this winter series,, then everyone will be doing it

SWEET!!
Ill try it this year.
If you dont mind me copying??
Am looking forward to top place finishes this year!!
All going well, will even have a nice new machine!! :banana:

Hitcher
7th January 2005, 08:06
I'm developing a new ritual now that I own a bike that doesn't have a manual choke to tit around with. One part of the new ritual that will have to be dispensed with is the tooting of the horn whilst reversing off the car deck (and into bike parks in town as well ) as the horn button gets squished by the tank bag. Tres naff.

vifferman
7th January 2005, 08:08
You guys are all weird.:wacko:

I turn the key, wait for the fuel pump to prime the injectors, and press the starter.

That's it.

Sometimes I make sure there's still some air in the tyres or summat sensible like that, but otherwise I just take it off the stand, wheel it out, and ride. But then, I'm not really into rituals, apart from the daily ritual at work of turning on the PC, logging on, checking my (private) email, then coming on here to see what the day's offering of bullshit and tales of woe is. Are. Is are is.

NordieBoy
7th January 2005, 08:10
Get gear on.
Hop on bike.
Turn fuel/ignition/choke on.
Give kickstarter a good push.
Ride away.

Unless there's an airlock in the fuel line dammit...
In the last 2 weeks the ritual has been extended to adding 15-20psi to the rear tyre to compensate for the air that the nail embedded in there has let out and to shake the front wheel a bit to see if the collapsed wheel bearing has got any worse :no:

It's a good thing I have a spare bike.
No wait, this is my spare bike :(

Monsterbishi
7th January 2005, 08:10
Only thing I decide is whether to ride down the left or ride side of the driveway onto the road...

mattt
7th January 2005, 08:19
Get on :)
Unlock steering
Turn on
Put in Neutral (if not already)
Back out of garage.
Stop half way. :confused:
Turn off :(
Take key from ignition.
Get off. :(
Take off Disc Lock. :angry2:
Get on. :)
Put key in ignition.
Back rest of way out.
Un-Flick Kill switch
Press Start. :)
Orgasm :gob:
Sigh of relief. :shifty:
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide :scooter:

Hooks
7th January 2005, 08:41
I walk out ..look at the rust forming because I have no fuckin' gargre ... :brick: apologise to the old 'un and then I set the choke at 1/2 and push the start button ..... sit back and wait for the smoke to clear :argh: .... then when she is running smoother :sweatdrop ...without the splutter :sneaky2: ... I clunk her into first and get the fuck away !! :done:

crashe
7th January 2005, 09:14
Get all the gear on... including helmet.
Unlock the garage and lift the garage door up.
(put bag etc on back of the bike - depending on what I have to take with me)
Key in bike.
Roll bike out of the garage.
Turn on key and start her up.
Close and lock the garage door.
Put on my gloves.
Hop on the bike.
Put her into first gear and ride up the driveway.

vifferman
7th January 2005, 09:16
Get all the gear on... including helmet.
Unlock the garage and lift the garage door up.
(put bag etc on back of the bike - depending on what I have to take with me)
Key in bike.
Roll bike out of the garage.
Turn on key and start her up.
Close and lock the garage door.
Put on my gloves.
Hop on the bike.
Put her into first gear and ride up the driveway.:eek5:
Fascinating stuff....

crashe
7th January 2005, 09:18
It is aye... and dead boring..... lol

vtec
7th January 2005, 09:27
Hehe, I always have a good inspection of my tyre after each time I ride too, cause I like to use all my rear tire, and I can usually tell where the latest wear pattern is. Also, if I've been riding hard I give her a pat on the tank and tell 'er she's been a good girl. hehe, I've actually done that too.

Before I ride. I alway check the fuel tap at least twice, got sick of riding down the road and have it sputtering on me. Also think it could be bad to run it lean while the engine is cold. And before I take off, I sit it at about 2-3krpm, for about 10 seconds to get the oil spread round nicely before putting any load on the engine whatsoever.

Krayy
7th January 2005, 09:29
Before I ride. I alway check the fuel tap at least twice, got sick of riding down the road and have it sputtering on me...
Aye, I always check my 'cock is in the right position before I jump on and start her up as well.

vifferman
7th January 2005, 09:32
Aye, I always check my 'cock is in the right position before I jump on and start her up as well.You should really start her up before you jump on and ride, just to make sure she's ready to rock'n'roll....:shifty:

Biff
7th January 2005, 09:43

I turn the key, wait for the fuel pump to prime the injectors, and press the starter.

That's it.

Same here - it must be the contentment and re-assurance knowing that we ride bullet proof reliable Honda's!

Yokai
7th January 2005, 09:49
Ok - so I probably pissed everyone off on the little ride with my need for routine :thud:

It goes like this:

Search for keys. Look in Helmet, look in left pocket look in right pocket check helmet find keys.
Insert key in ignition, turn... damn - wrong key take key out of ignition look at key re-insert key turn. YAY!
Helmet On.
Tweak Ears.
Gloves on.
Lift Visor / Front of helmet
scrabble around looking for iPod.
Insert cable in iPod.
Try and find something to play while riding. Figure that the gloves are too fiddly. Finally get thing running
Put iPod in pocket
Sit on bike
Fiddle with key to "On"
flick killswitch
Start bike
Pop into first
Stall
Curse the new clutch
Start bike in First
Ride away.

I always thank my little Saori Magamiko (known as Magamiko) for her services at the end of the day/ride

Quasievil
7th January 2005, 09:58
Gear on scratch balls, position balls, reposition Balls start bike ride down our street while positioning Balls.

Damn sports bikes!!

Racey Rider
7th January 2005, 10:03
One part of the new ritual that will have to be dispensed with is the tooting of the horn whilst reversing off the car deck ....

I image that thing has a automatic reversing beeper anyway!

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!....... which just goes on and on, 'cause it takes some long to get that Thing positioned back where you want it!

And don't tell us that it doesn't beep, 'cause that will just confirm that things are busted on it aready!

You can't win.

Don't try!

No,,,,

Don't!!

mattt
7th January 2005, 10:17
scrabble around looking for iPod.
Insert cable in iPod.

:ar15: :bash: :angry:

Motoracer
7th January 2005, 10:17
Walk around the bike to check every thing is secure and nothing is comming loose, check all of my safety gear is done properly.

Quasievil
7th January 2005, 10:19
Walk around the bike to check every thing is secure and nothing is comming loose, check all of my safety gear is done properly.
And the balls ??? what of them ???
Come on weve seen ya:msn-wink:

avgas
7th January 2005, 10:23
How to start the KX: Kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, break your leg, curse, kick, kick, it starts, you stall it, curse, kick, kick, it starts, you tug to hard on the throttle, you wheelie, you stall it, curse, kick, kick, it starts, it goes, much jubilation, crash
Yeh thats what my TS185 was like till i fixed her.
Hehe reminds me of the old Pugeot 405 my folks had. When we were kids we used to get in the car with mum and dad and say "Please go car" as dad turned the key. :killingme

vifferman
7th January 2005, 10:26
Come on weve seen ya:msn-wink:Crikey, you almost sounded like Quasimodo, instead of Quasievil. :spudwhat:

"The balls! The balls!" :eek:

Coyote
7th January 2005, 10:29
I check all necessary reciprocating flux capacitors, make sure the handle bar mounted death ray is warmed up, add I few gallons of Nitro Methane, make sure the antifreeze is red (when its blue, you have trouble), kick the tank to activate fuel absorbinating parameter transmission, then make sure those damned headlights aren’t messing up the electrical circuits heading toward the battery kompressor, then I hop onto the bike, start it, and I’m off!

Motoracer
7th January 2005, 10:32
Come on weve seen ya:msn-wink:
Eh? What? You guys have seen my balls??

Hmmm, I better patch up that hole in my leathers soon!

vifferman
7th January 2005, 10:39
I check all necessary reciprocating flux capacitors, make sure the handle bar mounted death ray is warmed up, add I few gallons of Nitro Methane, make sure the antifreeze is red (when its blue, you have trouble), kick the tank to activate fuel absorbinating parameter transmission, then make sure those damned headlights aren’t messing up the electrical circuits heading toward the battery kompressor, then I hop onto the bike, start it, and I’m off!Then you're in trouble, as you didn't include lubricating the muffler bearing or checking the hydrocillator in your pre-flight checklist. :buggerd:

Coyote
7th January 2005, 10:43
Then you're in trouble, as you didn't include lubricating the muffler bearing or checking the hydrocillator in your pre-flight checklist. :buggerd:
Shit! I've been riding on borrowed time!!!

Yokai
7th January 2005, 10:50
:ar15: :bash: :angry:
Jealous much????

:eek: :laugh:

PZR
7th January 2005, 11:22

That's it.

Sometimes I make sure there's still some air in the tyres or summat sensible like that, but otherwise I just take it off the stand, wheel it out, and ride. But then, I'm not really into rituals, apart from the daily ritual at work of turning on the PC, logging on, checking my (private) email, then coming on here to see what the day's offering of bullshit and tales of woe is. Are. Is are is.
I'm with you on this Vifferman except I resort to the labourious extra task of pulling up the fast idle lever. Its a tough job but someone has to do it.

Ah how well I remember those halcyon fun filled action packed days of youth gone by, of turning on the petrol, priming the carbs, turn on the ignition, kicking the crap out of my old two stroke then actually getting on the bike and kicking the kick start to hopefully make it go. Then have it stop every time it rained.
Gimmee late model trouble free machinery any day.:niceone:

This has to be the saddest thread I have read for a while (did'nt stop me reading it all though). Some of you guys are really weird:killingme

Motu
7th January 2005, 11:24
Open gas cap,shake and peer inside
Open oil tank filler and check oil
Turn on gas
Tickle carb
Set choke to 3/4
Set timing lever to half retard
Pull in clutch and stroke kickstart 3 or 4 times to free the plates
Bring motor up on compression and ease over with the valve lifter,if fitted
Open throttle to just lift the slide off it's seat,grab rear guard or other conveient hand hold with left hand - leap into air...then using your right leg,left arm,right arm and your back put every fucking ounce of energy into starting the 300mm cast iron flywheels moving,sending the 85mm piston down and up it's 88mm stroke,hoping you've put enough of your essence into getting it over the 9:1 compression without getting sent back the way you've just come.After a couple of atempts the weak spark from the magneto will get it running - if not,pull the plug and clean....just an excuse really,you need to recover your energy for the next attempt.

I'd love another real single...

TwoSeven
7th January 2005, 11:38
I do the zulu witch doctor dance around the bike for 20 mins.

Nah, I just do a P.R.I (pre ride inspection) - all the things required for a warrent (chain, sprockets, tires, oil, etc). Its an automatic thing just to make sure nothing is about to go bang - only takes 30 secs.

Dont check the bike when I get off, unless something has been annoying me, then it will get fixed.

Coyote
7th January 2005, 11:43
Some of you guys are really weird:killingme
Some of us, but not all. I'm certainly not :p

vifferman
7th January 2005, 11:54
I'm with you on this Vifferman except I resort to the labourious extra task of pulling up the fast idle lever. Its a tough job but someone has to do it."Fast idle lever"? What the hell is that? Doesn't your EFI have an automatic enrichment circuit/function?

Ah how well I remember those halcyon fun filled action packed days of youth gone by, of turning on the petrol, priming the carbs, turn on the ignition, kicking the crap out of my old two stroke then actually getting on the bike and kicking the kick start to hopefully make it go. Then have it stop every time it rained.Maybe my old 2-smoke wasn't old enough. Turn it on, then first or second kick every time. (Even my old 500 Mutant was mostly trouble-free to start, even without either the automatic or manual compression release systems being installed).
Apart from that one time, at band camp, when I didn't notice the kill-switch was off, and kicked it about 15 times, then noticed, flicked it back on, kicked it, it had had enough of being kicked, and kicked back. :eek:
Bloody thing just about wrecked my knee: it shot it up into the bolt on the bottom of the mirror. After much cursing, rubbing, hopping around in circles with my eyes watering, I was almost able to hobble... :laugh:

Actually, in some ways, the days of getting the whole starting ritual just right or the bike wouldn't go, were a bit special. Yeah, the sometimes unreliable bikes could be a worry, but motorcycling was raw and exciting in them days.

Ghost Lemur
7th January 2005, 12:06
Some of us, but not all. I'm certainly not :p

You're right, you're not. You are just young, impressionable and spending way to much time on here. :lol:

Coyote
7th January 2005, 12:09
You're right, you're not. You are just young, impressionable and spending way to much time on here. :lol:
Rather be riding :niceone:

FROSTY
7th January 2005, 13:37
clearly you folks dont have " a harmonious relationship with your motorcycle and nature" as some of us do.
Yea yea ok it was on a wheel cover on a bloody terranno ok .
Shit these meds are good who needs booze . :love: :love:

Wonko
7th January 2005, 16:52
Open garage door.
Hop on cycle
Key in, into netural.
Choke on to 2/3
Turn off kill switch(or should that be on?)
Push start button.
Take gloves and sunnies out of helmet and place on tank.
Helemt on
choke down to a 1/3
sunnies on
Zip up jacket
Gloves on
Check that head light is on in reflection of window.
Ride up driveway and test breaks at top.
Ride away like I stole it

Bonez
7th January 2005, 18:32
Kit up. Both CBs and the GSX-2/3 choke, turn the fuel to on/prime. Wait a few minutes-time to check them out before the ride. Drain carbs if they've been sitting for a few weeks. Turn key on. Hit the starter button and a tinsy bit of trottle. Broom broom, switch from Prime to ON on the GSX, warmup engine and offfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Jackrat
7th January 2005, 19:36
Dodge wifes nasty horse,pat wifes nice horse,chase bloody chooks out of my shed AGAIN,Wipe chook dust an shit off bike,unplug battrey charger,Check oil,add oil,check gas,wipe exess stuff in a can off chain,set choke,Kick once most days, twice some days,Wait till it idles off choke,Ride across paddock keeping well away from nasty, biting, kicking, me hating bloody horse,Try to kick short dog trying to bite my leg while dodging short dog trying to bite front tyre,Stop at road gate if it's safe(bloody horse),get off bike, open gate,throw rock at horse,push bike through gate,shut gate,swear at horse,scream at short dogs to go home,Get back on bike,check ones self in mirror,ooooh yeah.
Give it heaps if naibours home,cruise quitely down road if their not.

Blakamin
7th January 2005, 20:22
am I the only one that doesnt use the bloody choke??? (only remembered where it was today... comparing with buell stuff)

Indiana_Jones
7th January 2005, 20:42
I would always listen to the "Happy days" theme tune before I'd goto school on my bike, always got me in the mood :)

-Indy

Bonez
7th January 2005, 21:57
Shit forgot to put the side stand up[again]. Pick me and the bike out of the gutter and off we go.......................

gav
7th January 2005, 22:36
Key in, choke lever on full, push button, push bike off centrestand while running and wheel out of garage, leave on side stand, put on helmet and gloves, back off choke and cruise off.
Worst bike I had (after reading Motu's tale) was a Suzuki DR600S. Usually started first or second kick when cold, if didnt start by 4th kick, might as well give up and wait 10-15 minutes. If didnt start 1st kick when hot, same, you werent going anywhere. When it was sort of inbetween, never knew if it would start or not. Bastard of a thing trying to kickstart in full leathers too. Kinda satisfying though when did start OK!

Mongoose
7th January 2005, 23:16
Worst bike I had (after reading Motu's tale) was a Suzuki DR600S. Usually started first or second kick when cold, if didnt start by 4th kick, might as well give up and wait 10-15 minutes. If didnt start 1st kick when hot, same, you werent going anywhere. When it was sort of inbetween, never knew if it would start or not. Bastard of a thing trying to kickstart in full leathers too. Kinda satisfying though when did start OK!

Pffffft, you think you had problems with that bike? Have a mate who had one of them HD things, its was so 'orrible to start that we could send him out the pub, grab another pint and still be out in time to join him for a ride. Best count we did was forty, yes FORTY kicks before that sucker started.

Me,leap astride the guzzi, choke/flooder/enrichner thingy in, key on, hit starter. If no go, take floot bowl off left hand carby, drain water out and try again. When fired up, i tend to rock the bike and play with the front brake, subconcious check to make sure it might work?, Idle the bike till it runs sort of smooth with no choke/flooder enrichner thingy and ride off.

riffer
7th January 2005, 23:29
am I the only one that doesnt use the bloody choke??? (only remembered where it was today... comparing with buell stuff)

No, my bike won't run at all with choke. In fact, I've disconnected it.

Bob
8th January 2005, 01:26
I'm a creature of habit, so I do the same ritual every morning:

Kit up first - except helmet and gloves
Start up bike, then ride out of garage and test front brake
Put on helmet and gloves, then get on bike, switching on lights as I do so
Sit on bike, close eyes and take a couple of deep breaths, letting them out slowly as I focus my mind on what I am about to do
Open eyes (before anyone says anything!), pull down visor and roll gently to the edge of the driveway
If nothing there, onto road and accellerate away!

Just means I know the brakes are there if I need them, I know the lights are on (I will often give the indicators a quick test as well) - and by doing the quick spot of "zen" before I pull away, I've got my mind clear of junk and fixed on what I am about to do.

I like to give myself a fighting chance before I head off!

Riff Raff
8th January 2005, 08:11
I would always listen to the "Happy days" theme tune before I'd goto school on my bike, always got me in the mood :)

-Indy
I'm getting seriously worried about you boy!!! :Pokey:

inlinefour
17th January 2005, 03:05

Bike on, gear on then gone. :scooter: