PDA

View Full Version : Almost new, a bit mouldy at the edges

Silage
7th January 2005, 10:10
Greetings
Started riding in the '70s on the wifes 90 stepthru. Then worked in Bangladesh for 4 yrs and moved up to a 125. Almost took my wife's knee off on a bridge having swerved around a rickshaw (as you do) as she was sitting sidesaddle. Bought the GB400 new in '88 for $3200 and its still going great but confined to mostly commuting now. Have just got onto a new GS1200ss (the price was right).

Was at the Nelson races on Jan2 so met up with a few KBers.

Question: does anyone else get a sore back after riding? I have had a twinge in my lower back since getting on the 1200 - is it the acceleration or just my 50yr old back?

I work essentially in IT (database design) with a science bent.

Will be good to meet more KBers.

750Y
7th January 2005, 10:19
welcome Jimmie. it's probably your 50yr old back but you can adjust the suspension a little to be marginally softer. you will likely adapt once you get some more miles in...

bungbung
7th January 2005, 10:23
Welcome Jimmie. Here mental it is ;)

James Deuce
7th January 2005, 10:32
Welcome Jimmie!

Do ten situps every day for a month, and stretch your back before you get on the bike. Helps HUGELY

vifferman
7th January 2005, 10:33
GreetingsI've already "Greetings"ed you on the other thread, but Greeetings! :spudwave: again.

Question: does anyone else get a sore back after riding? I have had a twinge in my lower back since getting on the 1200 - is it the acceleration or just my 50yr old back?Hmmmm....
It could be several things:

You're an OldePharte.:Pokey:
The science bent.
Your suspension's a bit hard, so jolting your back. If so, adjust it, and try to take the weight over bumps and so on by lifting your butt off the seat just before you go over them.
You're an OldePharte.:Pokey:
You bought the wrong bike. Trade it in on a LuxoBarge.:devil2:
Your posture's wrong. Try sticking your gut out / arching your back in. This will ensure your posture's comfy. If you're sitting right, there should be little weight on your wrists.

I work essentially in IT (database design) with a science bent.Dang.
Yet another bloody ITer.:laugh:

Will be good to meet more KBers.Yeah, you think that now....
... but little do you know.....:eek5:

Hitcher
7th January 2005, 10:43
Welcome to our gargre! It's good to have another southerner on board.

The soreness may be due more to the 50-year-old bike rather than your back...

vifferman
7th January 2005, 11:06
Oh yeah - and Jimmie, you need to post on the bollix thread (the one with no subject etc.)
This one:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=7373

Riff Raff
7th January 2005, 11:41
Welcome along Jimmie :spudwave:

Ghost Lemur
7th January 2005, 12:59
Welcome on board.

Good to see the Chch contingency growing.

Ms Piggy
7th January 2005, 15:08
Welcome Jimmie!

Do ten situps every day for a month, and stretch your back before you get on the bike. Helps HUGELY
Sit ups! Corrrrr! Hey a belated welcome from me! :wavey:

pipeman
7th January 2005, 16:15
Greetings

Question: does anyone else get a sore back after riding? I have had a twinge in my lower back since getting on the 1200 - is it the acceleration or just my 50yr old back?

Giday and welcome, how meany miles you done on bike. Are still road fit?
try suspension. Don,t now but is the handle bars adjustable something too try.

MSTRS
7th January 2005, 16:27
Oh yea....someone here older than me :spudwave: (moves aside to allow the aged person to take the Comfy Chair). Seriously tho, you could try one of those kidney belts the MX guys use.

2_SL0
7th January 2005, 19:13
hiho :scooter:

Silage
7th January 2005, 19:25
Giday and welcome, how meany miles you done on bike. Are still road fit?
try suspension. Don,t now but is the handle bars adjustable something too try.

I haven't had a fit while riding so far - are they a good idea tho?
No I'm probably a bit soft - 8 hrs behind a desk does that and only 20 minutes commuting each day. However I have recently spent a bit of time shifting 3cu.m. of dirt to level ground for the container that I store the bikes in. Might have tweaked it. Will try the stretching routine :no:
The ss is up to almost 3000km, did 1000k in the last week.

dangerous
7th January 2005, 19:42
and a welcome from me again..... good trip back from Nelson the other day? How'd ya end up chatting to Mangull and Kickaha before I walked around the corner, did you already Know him or was it Kickaha's gay shirt?

Silage
7th January 2005, 19:56
and a welcome from me again..... good trip back from Nelson the other day? How'd ya end up chatting to Mangull and Kickaha before I walked around the corner, did you already Know him or was it Kickaha's gay shirt?

It must have been the shirt - big wheel, tasteful orange on black. The whole bunch were new to me but just goes to prove that wearing the KB Tshirt works. Maybe I should get one :cool2:

Blakamin
7th January 2005, 19:58
Hiya Jimmie... any bike photos?????

Al
7th January 2005, 20:09
Welcome Jimmie :banana:

Al

Firefight
7th January 2005, 20:21
yet another welcome Jimmie, something for everyone here, enjoy.

F/F :eek:

dangerous
7th January 2005, 20:29
hey Jimmie, think I said to ya a mate had a 1200SS that he through a couple of extras at... heres a shot of it addad are belly pan, tint screen, single seat and the can of course.

ps: did the shop do the snip 'n' tuck on the 180K limiter?

http://image09.webshots.com/9/5/95/3/101359503RxNMkO_ph.jpg

Silage
7th January 2005, 21:08
hey Jimmie, think I said to ya a mate had a 1200SS that he through a couple of extras at... heres a shot of it addad are belly pan, tint screen, single seat and the can of course.

ps: did the shop do the snip 'n' tuck on the 180K limiter?

http://image09.webshots.com/9/5/95/3/101359503RxNMkO_ph.jpg

Yes, been delimited. Up near Culverden on Sundy passed some cars and the mate asked what speed did mine say as he was at the 190 mark (end of scale) - reply, dunno, the speedo stays on 180 whatever speed over it is.
Tint screen could be a goer and new can at some stage - not spending dosh at present. BTW it did 53mpg on the Nelson trip - thought that was OK.

Silage
7th January 2005, 21:13
[/IMG]

Do you know where he got the back seat replacement? Looks useful to put stuff for an overnighter.

Gasman
8th January 2005, 07:39
A big welcome. I'm afraid the back pain may not be solely related to the bike you ride...........comes with the territory. I know!

The beemer though does not give me much gyp with the back. It has a riding position more suitable for those who (like me) have abused their backs for a few years already!

Loved the rickshaw story. Having spent a bit of time around Asia I can see the picture clearly in my minds eye.

Catch you around. :yeah:

dangerous
8th January 2005, 08:37
Do you know where he got the back seat replacement? Looks useful to put stuff for an overnighter.
I'm sure that the single seat cowl is a Suzuki part, the screen X NZ and the belly pan x Japan (aftermarket brand)

Something that my help with your back is Glen had the rear seat ultered so as it gave him more room to move about as he was having back problems (more due to his weight) This mod also gave the bike a better look as it took the straight up and down line at the frount of the rear seat and angled it back.

Joni
8th January 2005, 09:45
Allo Jimmie...
:spudwave:

FROSTY
8th January 2005, 10:14
Gidday Jimmy --glad to have ya on board. Bloody nice bike those GS's
Hey re the sore back um ya might just find its an aclimatisation /fitness thing.
First time back on the track and my hips, lower back ached for about a week.
You might find you're using muscles that don't normally get much use
You Might wanna try changing position on the bike every so often -feet on rear pegs,sit upright, full racing crouch. The variation might help the back--I know it does for me.

thehollowmen
8th January 2005, 13:04
Welcome to the madhouse

This is all good advice, but if all else fails here, try getting someone to sew you up a nice leather cushion to tie or rivit down to your seat...

(damn if I made a good design I could make a killing with these... I'll get to work on monday)

magnum
8th January 2005, 13:26
hello and welcome.i wear a back protector that also doubles as a kidney belt which helps if i have a sore back. :2thumbsup

sels1
8th January 2005, 13:31
The beemer though does not give me much gyp with the back. It has a riding position more suitable for those who (like me) have abused their backs for a few years already!

:

Me too. My backs got better since I got my one. A bit of yoga helps too.
(no, its true!)

Welcome along to the site Jimmie

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 23:29
Welcome and enjoy :banana: