PDA

View Full Version : Headlight too dim

scorpious
29th June 2008, 17:52
you know the "pass" button that all bikes have that put both low and high beam on together?

has anyone tried rewireing it so that when you flick your headlights onto full that lighting arrangement comes on?

I want to give it a try because the FXR sucks:(

CookMySock
29th June 2008, 18:42
You can't. You will overheat the headlamp unit and damage it.

Try using a better quality headlamp bulb such as a +50 from repco.

DB

FJRider
29th June 2008, 18:53
Try a bigger wattage bulb with relay fitted. Ask an auto sparky first. Some "white" light bulbs are available that have same wattage but are brighter...15-20% better

ynot slow
30th June 2008, 16:34
Have seen the new philips +80 bulbs around $40,pack says gives 25 mtr more beam and brighter without the need for new wiring or relay.

Max Preload
5th July 2008, 13:34
Try using a better quality headlamp bulb such as a +50 from repco.

But avoid the 'Calibre' branded +50 sold at Supercheap. I put a pair of them in the car and both lasted barely 2 years - just replaced the second one last Sunday and the previous one about 2 months back.

However the Narva +50 I have in the bike is now 3 years old and the headlight is always on.

Devil
7th July 2008, 09:27
Have seen the new philips +80 bulbs around $40,pack says gives 25 mtr more beam and brighter without the need for new wiring or relay.

Oh piss! Ididn't know there was a +80 now! I just bought me a +50 over the weekend :(

F5 Dave
7th July 2008, 18:00
OK, dredge a week old thread. On the FXR you can't run std type Halogen lightbulbs they speak of.

If you wired both together it would be illegal & likely to burn out the modest alternator.

However there is hope, I run an FXR headlight on my 750 (I rarely run night time & it was very light weight). The Yamaha Blaster runs Hallogen lightbulbs with the same fitting as the FXR, about 30W, but with 2 of them they aren't half bad. Any hotter would likely melt the plastic anyways. Make sure the contacts aren't corroded.

CookMySock
8th July 2008, 09:22
Make sure the contacts aren't corroded.This is a lot more important than it sounds. Corroded contacts run hot and destroy everything very quickly.

DB