PDA

View Full Version : Possible street race in Welly?

nudemetalz
29th June 2008, 21:16
Greetings,

I may have mentioned this to some, but I've been asked to put forward a proposal to Welly City Council with interest in holding some sort of bucket race on the streets (ala Wanganui Boxing Day) or a venue suitable.
I have backing from the person in charge of street-events and she has asked me to submit this.
I was hoping to bring this up at rider's briefing today but of course this was not possible.

What I'm asking is for some ideas/opinions/concerns from people here.

My personal opinion is that a street-race would be awesome. It wouldn't cost a bunch as the WCC may back it and also we could approach the bike shops for some sort of semi-sponsorship.

What do you think?

Trudes
29th June 2008, 21:19
Would we be able to use the Kaitoke track?

riffer
29th June 2008, 21:27
Is that the one that goes from Featherston to Kaitoke?

nudemetalz
29th June 2008, 21:27
Would we be able to use the Kaitoke track?

Kaitoke isn't under Welly City Council land, tiz under Hutt City Council.
Unfort, I don't have the same connections there.

Sounds like a plan though.

xr-rider
29th June 2008, 21:28
you would probably have to ask a company with saftey barriers for sponsorship or a farmer for haybales mate. good idea i would be keen on entering

Trudes
29th June 2008, 21:28
Sounds kewl! You know me, up for anything.

xr-rider
29th June 2008, 21:29
Kaitoke isn't under Welly City Council land, tiz under Hutt City Council.
Unfort, I don't have the same connections there.

Sounds like a plan though.

what about the cost of track hire, i heard it was about $1000 for a day. you would be better using the usual slipway for it

Buddha#81
Free entry to Mainlanders? Ride ya bucket onto the ferry with gearbag.......got to be a cheap meeting to attend! Don't forget the postclassic class!

Colapop
Any indication of circuit? Waterfront area?

sels1
29th June 2008, 21:36
I may have mentioned this to some, but I've been asked to put forward a proposal to Welly City Council with interest in holding some sort of bucket race on the streets

Is the concept just for buckets or for bigger stuff?

nudemetalz
29th June 2008, 21:36
you would probably have to ask a company with saftey barriers or a farmer for haybales mate. good idea i would be keen on entering

Any indication of circuit? Waterfront area?

Understand that there could be quite a few logistics but at this stage it's just a proposal.
Not talking about blocking off the whole CBD like the Nissan Mobil but more one of the for example Eastern Suburbs like Evans Bay / Shelly Bay / Miramar.

what about the cost of track hire, i heard it was about $1000 for a day. you would be better using the usual slipway for it

True, but the Slipway is very remote and how about somewhere which will promote us.

Free entry to Mainlanders? Ride ya bucket onto the ferry with gearbag.......got to be a cheap meeting to attend! Don't forget the postclassic class!

Give us time :)

Is the concept just for buckets or for bigger stuff?

Just proposals at the moment.

nudemetalz
29th June 2008, 21:38
Thanks for your feedback everyone. Keep it coming.

riffer
29th June 2008, 21:38
Shit, I'd love to take the kids to a street race.

Seems like forever since my Dad used to take me to see the races at Gracefield (probably is).

Skunk
29th June 2008, 21:48
I'd suggest starting it small and building up each year. Make it a regular event.

Cheap, 'safe speed' machines to start with and biuld up to the F1/Supersport type stuff later. Makes it easier to manage.

What areas are industrial/storage under Wellington City Council control? Lyall Bay (Warehouse is there so that's a problem), Grenada... brain is stuck. But I think that's the way to start.

quallman1234
29th June 2008, 22:53
Approach the vic club? Make sure buckets are included however.

I don't think a bucket only streetrace would be popular... Although very cool.

Deano
29th June 2008, 23:02
I have contacts at Hutt City.

I would especially be interested if it involved NZ SBK, SS, F3/pro Twin, etc

Kickaha
30th June 2008, 06:35
Didn't Bayden organise a street race of sorts 4-5 years ago that was Buckets only?

bistard
30th June 2008, 07:45
Didn't Bayden organise a street race of sorts 4-5 years ago that was Buckets only?

Yes,Bayden organised a Bucket street race in Upper Hutt,some years ago the vVic club also ran a bucket meeting on the waterfront,it all came to a screaming halt with develoments & seven day trading

We,as in the Vic Club back in 1997 organised the lambton harbour two wheeler,what a bloody mission,I dont think you realise just how much work is involved in a street race!!!

fi5hy
30th June 2008, 09:13

Yes Bayden and myself put on the Upper Hutt GP around the back of the old CIT this is full of houses now. We had a bucket open/50 with about 40 starters and a Motrad class which was full of 40 starters as well. To put the the event on there was only two of us to get it to the day and we had about six helpers on the day as me and Bayden were riding as well.We had about seven racers per class with two practices. The day run with no problems at all we had road closure from 6 am to 6 pm we built most of the track on the saturday (tryes around lamp posts removing road signs putting up sponsor logo banners ETC) and on the sunday road closed at 6 am fence's up ETC. All up not the hardest thing to do the hard part is finding that road that loops together with a few nice bends away from houses sunday trading and seven day a week freight companys.

Fishie:spanking:

nudemetalz
30th June 2008, 10:44
Thanks again for your feedback and opinions.
From what I've read, it'll be challenging but not difficult to organise.

Let me drum up the proposal and see what comes of it.

Deano - The Kaitoke one could be a goer if possible with the UHCC.
I'm keen to help with that.

koba
30th June 2008, 19:53
Thanks again for your feedback and opinions.
From what I've read, it'll be challenging but not difficult to organise.

Let me drum up the proposal and see what comes of it.

Deano - The Kaitoke one could be a goer if possible with the UHCC.
I'm keen to help with that.

UHCCouncil and Hutt city coucil are different.
The Kart track is probably privatley owned anyway.

Anyone know what the cemetary loop road around Makara is like? Had a look at work for places the lok good by map to check out closer. the cemetary around Karori/Northland could be another one.Both a bit out of the way but probably easier that way...

Are speedbumps a goood thing or a bad thing in a potential track?

Hitcher
30th June 2008, 19:58
Where would a street race be held, given that Transit would be unlikely to consent to SH1 or the Quay being interfered with or closed?

Slingshot
30th June 2008, 20:44
Where would a street race be held, given that Transit would be unlikely to consent to SH1 or the Quay being interfered with or closed?

Up the Ngaio Gorge, through Crofton Downs, through Wadestown and back down to Kaiwharawhara.

nudemetalz
30th June 2008, 20:45
errr,...yeah,...Slingy..... :laugh:

Trudes
30th June 2008, 20:46
Hey a good majority of us live in Newlands, 'The Progressive Suburb', maybe we could do it around the local streets here, most of the locals are already used to their lives being interupted by our two smoker screamers!!:2thumbsup

koba
30th June 2008, 21:11
Seriously tho, someone should check the surface of This out and if it is ok add it to the list of possibles.
It would have to be open between races because there is a golf club and lots of houses down the roads that would be blocked.
there are several options of different loops to use there too.
It is way the fuck out of the way but that may be good as far as minimising disruption goes...

merv
30th June 2008, 21:51
Koba at least the dead guys wouldn't complain, but their rellies might. Worth a shot, it looks a good track.

With all the industry leaving Wellington we don't have many industrial areas left. Lyall Bay and Gracefield were rather industrial back when they were used for racing. About the only bit of Porirua left like this too is Mohuia Crescent and Prosser Street - you'd be just going around in a big circle.

nudemetalz
30th June 2008, 22:11
hmmm,....Makara does look ideal. At least noise wouldn't be an issue.

Hitcher
30th June 2008, 23:00
Up the Ngaio Gorge, through Crofton Downs, through Wadestown and back down to Kaiwharawhara.

A Ngaio Gorge-Onslow Road circuit would be a ripper as well. People could pit at our place!

quallman1234
30th June 2008, 23:02
Up and down the old poriua road, with a U turn at the top, nice tight little corners. No one there.

Makara looks good tho

ajturbo
30th June 2008, 23:07
UHCCouncil and Hutt city coucil are different.
The Kart track is probably privatley owned anyway.

no... the hutt council own it..

rwh
30th June 2008, 23:16
How about along by the stadium, possibly including bits of the stadium carpark - the bit they closed for the drag racing and drifting at the car show? Maybe in the Port area too?

Richard

rwh
30th June 2008, 23:39
On the other hand, a little browsing on Google maps found the perfect venue :) :

ajturbo
30th June 2008, 23:50
On the other hand, a little browsing on Google maps found the perfect venue :) :
you stupid boy...
isn't that and up hill course?..
how the hell do you expect the buckets to go UP hill???

bungbung
1st July 2008, 09:00
you stupid boy...
isn't that and up hill course?..
how the hell do you expect the buckets to go UP hill???

Duh, run in the opposite direction.

It's a downhill course!

Korea
1st July 2008, 09:16

Brilliant stuff~! That S-bend (downhill) would be like the corkscrew at Laguna :clap:

You know Helen would be out there in her leathers~ :headbang:

nudemetalz
1st July 2008, 10:07
You know Helen would be out there in her leathers~ :headbang:

eeewww......... :sick:

Once again, thanks fellow KB bucketeers and others for your stuff.

I'm doing the proposal this lunchtime and submitting it.

koba
1st July 2008, 10:28
hmmm,....Makara does look ideal. At least noise wouldn't be an issue.

Golf club relly could be tho, you would have to talk very nicley with them.

all4A50s
1st July 2008, 11:45
What about having it as part of a small bike meet. An idea I though of was to have a two day event; one day of racers with people staying at a locals houses/camp ground/farmers field then a swap meet and possibly a ride around Wellington. i have access to a very cool community centre that we could take over for a day.:Punk:

nudemetalz
1st July 2008, 13:28
What about having it as part of a small bike meet. An idea I though of was to have a two day event; one day of racers with people staying at a locals houses/camp ground/farmers field then a swap meet and possibly a ride around Wellington. i have access to a very cool community centre that we could take over for a day.:Punk:

That's a good idea too :) Hmmm, will look into that.

Anyway, here's what I sent off -

Further to this email, I've been conversing with my fellow team members regarding holding a race around the streets of Wellington (not necessarily CBD mind you).

There would be approximately 50 motorcycles.
We would run the race throughout the day with flag marshals etc.
There will be people there with first-aid facilities incase of the need but the ambulance services will be informed of the event.
Corners would be barricaded for safety with lamp-posts etc.
Fire Brigade would be informed incase of emergency and gravel bags will be provided with the flag-marshals.

We are looking into approaching the local motorcycle shops for some sort of sponsorship at this stage, ie T-shirts etc, cost of facilities if required etc.

Some possible venues we have come up with is the area behind the Stadium where the Car-Drifting racing was held, around the industrial area of Lyall Bay, areas of Grenada or Makara (as per photo).

There has been wide-spread interest in the motorcycle fraternity with people from the South Island and as far as Auckland keen on entering.

Look forward to your response.

Regards,
Chris

ajturbo
1st July 2008, 21:29
Duh, run in the opposite direction.

It's a downhill course!
yer that is fine for the morning.. but what about when we reverse it in afternoon????

speights_bud
1st July 2008, 21:38
If this can all be organized i'd love to be able to have a go as a streetstock competitor if the class can be arranged.

I'm sure you'd get some good support for say buckets and streetstock classes considering at events such as the Taupo spectacular they are run together. To be run separately on the day of course to mix things up a bit? ;)

all4A50s
2nd July 2008, 05:26
If you need a hand just let me know:devil2: I have a decent amount of lighting and sound gear, so if you want to include a party of some description...:banana: