PDA

View Full Version : Some rather bad publicity on Dunedin Cheesecutter Ride/Helicopter fundraiser

Steam
1st July 2008, 07:49
The Otago Daily TImes has a story on page 22 this morning, complete with a photo taken by a cager right behind the group. Scorry has scanned and posted the photo down this page at post #10 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=99353&d=1214857164)
Not a good look.

"The Organiser of a Dunedin motorcycle protest aimed at drawing attention to motorcycle safety is disappointed after photos were taken of some of the riders driving dangerously in 100kmh areas.
About 20 riders took part in the rally around Dunedin, Waihola, and Taieri Mouth on Saturday, which aimed to highlight the dangers of wire barriers used on most highways nationally.
While riding on SH1 south of Allanton, some of the riders performing dangerous tricks were snapped by a concerned driver.
Protest organiser Christina Johnson said riders had to sign a form before the ride agreeing that their behaviour would be of reasonable standard. She was unaware of the riders' behaviour, and said she was disappointed.
Southern Highway patrol team leader Senior Sergeant Steve Larking, of Dunedin, said they had not received any complaints from members of the public about the behaviour.
Riding a bike dangerously could result in a dangerous driving charge, he said.
"It defeats the purpose of riding to highlight the safety of motorcyclists when people ride in an unsafe way" he said

Mom
1st July 2008, 07:53
Hey Steam, can you please post me up a copy of the paper? P O Box 360 Warkworth. I am keeping a record of all publicity around this weekends rides, guess I should have the good with the bad. What a shame!
Obviously a pissed off car driver with nothing better to do.

Very dissappointing to think that anyone would undermine such a positive initiative by doing stupid stuff on a ride.

White trash
1st July 2008, 07:55
Carver doing a South Island trip right now is he?

Hope Katman doesn't see this thread.

Mom
1st July 2008, 07:58
You echo my sentiments exactly. This just goes to show though that no matter how many of us are responsible, sensible riders there will always be a dickhead waiting to show how small their penis is by showing off in unappropriate places.

Lets hope the idiot responsible can be identified and brought to task publicly here for his/her actions.

Nasty
1st July 2008, 08:04
All I could think when I saw the thread title was "shit" ... a small bit of publicity gained in one area can ruin it for all. I do hope whoever it was is bought to task ... one of the best ways is for a formal complaint about them to be made to the police. Bloody idiot ... go and try to ruin the hard work of others.

scumdog
1st July 2008, 08:06
As you will probably see later the pic shows a no-cruiser rider ridng in a group on a wet road standing on his left peg with his right leg on the same side of the bike pointing back and to his left.
i.e. as you would be getting off a horse.

Mind you, I wonder if it was a driver who actually toook the pic - THAT too ain't the safest.

White trash
1st July 2008, 08:07
As you will probably see later the pic shows a no-cruiser rider ridng in a group on a wet road standing on his left peg with his right leg on the same side of the bike pointing back and to his left.
i.e. as you would be getting off a horse.

Mind you, I wonder if it was a driver who actually toook the pic - THAT too ain't the safest.
Oh is that all. He may have had a cramp. Or needed a piss.

Colapop
1st July 2008, 08:08
It only takes one to undo the massive hours of hard work done by others. Thank-you very much ya fucktard! When there's all the time in the world to go and do tricks and stunts at some other place these clowns feel the need to fuck up an initiative that could help them.

merv
1st July 2008, 08:17
Don't ya just love motorcyclists :doh:

scorry
1st July 2008, 08:20
Just for you not in dunedin, heres the pic.
And to do the whole blame and shame thing, its a red and white FZR (not too many of those around).

yungatart
1st July 2008, 08:22
Don't ya just love motorcyclists :doh:

Most of them, yes!!
Dickwhackers like that plonker, NO!!

Such a shame to see the efforts of so many undermined by the thoughtless actions of one retard...time and place, fool!

Nasty
1st July 2008, 08:23
And to do the whole blame and shame thing, its a red and white FZR (not too many of those around).

Thanks for scanning the posting the article ... shows the reality .. the guys a twat!

Mom
1st July 2008, 08:29
What a complete cock! Ok then you lot down there, who is it? I will have a couple of things to say to him for certain.

bull
1st July 2008, 08:29
whilst the idiot has brought bad light onto the purpose they have in fact got the subject into the spotlight, and now itll look good to see the organiser condemning that riders actions.

Any publicity is good publicity???

Mom
1st July 2008, 08:30
whilst the idiot has brought bad light onto the purpose they have in fact got the subject into the spotlight, and now itll look good to see the organiser condemning that riders actions.

Any publicity is good publicity???

Agreed! And hasn't Chri5tina handled that so well!

Nasty
1st July 2008, 08:32
Agreed! And hasn't Chri5tina handled that so well!

She has done extremely well ... good on ya!!

Mom
1st July 2008, 08:35
She has done extremely well ... good on ya!!

You know these two very new members, youngsters against our venerable selves, stepped up to the plate at the last minute to get something happening in Dunedin.

They put a huge effort in in very quick time to get it happening. I am so impressed with the pair of them, it is horrible to think that this complete lack of respect could be shown on the ride.

Oakie
1st July 2008, 08:36
Not to minimise the rider's stupidity but the photo was "snapped by a concerned driver" ...presumably while driving? A little bit hypocritical I would suggest and probably as much evidence there to charge the biker and the driver.

scorry
1st July 2008, 08:36
good call, she has done really well.
And the run was well organised also

boomer
1st July 2008, 08:38
Ahahaha .. NOT only is there life 'South' but they do 'silly' things too... god forbid! :mobile:

Scummy.. how come you weren't on hand to "Nik 'im!"???

nodrog
1st July 2008, 08:40
it looks like he just pushed started his bike.

fatzx10r
1st July 2008, 08:44
just seen the pic in the ODT, what a fucken spanner. yay look at me i can stand on one footpeg, tosser. i was at that ride and remember seeing that bike, had a bald rear tyre on it, he must be such a clever cunt. thanks for fucking it up for the rest of us

MSTRS
1st July 2008, 08:47
The arsewipe knows who he is, and soon so will the rest of us. His actions reflect badly on all, so it is up to us to 'show him the error of his ways'. Much as I can't stand most of what Katman says, it is this sort of shit he is hot about and I agree on this one.
No doubt the original photo actually shows the number plate, so if all else fails the cops will get a shot.
COCK!!

Swoop
1st July 2008, 08:47
So, the moron few have moved south for the winter???

Mom
1st July 2008, 08:52
The arsewipe knows who he is, and soon so will the rest of us. His actions reflect badly on all, so it is up to us to 'show him the error of his ways'. Much as I can't stand most of what Katman says, it is this sort of shit he is hot about and I agree on this one.
No doubt the original photo actually shows the number plate, so if all else fails the cops will get a shot.
COCK!!

Perhaps our Scummy can persuade the ODT to part with the pic showing the rego # and arrange for a little piece of paper to be deliverd to the said plonker for his efforts on the day?

MyGSXF
1st July 2008, 09:04
Judging by the angle of the pic.. it looks to have been taken on the drivers side of the car... :oi-grr:

& according to the advanced members search.. there are 4 members in "Dunedin" with an FZR.. :wait:

ManDownUnder
1st July 2008, 10:11
Perhaps our Scummy can persuade the ODT to part with the pic showing the rego # and arrange for a little piece of paper to be deliverd to the said plonker for his efforts on the day?

+1.......... Jesus H...

edit - perhaps Scummy can take a photo of said ticket and post IT into the ODT with the express blessing of 4000 pissed off KBers. What a cock.

yod
1st July 2008, 10:12
there's always one aye

:oi-grr:

James Deuce
1st July 2008, 10:19
No doubt there will be a rebuttal coming explaining how this is a normal stunt for this chap to perform and no Dolphin's were harmed during the performance of said stunt.

I'd just like to point out, that I do understand that there is about as much risk in performing that stunt as reaching around to get a hand bag off the back seat of a car while driving.

However.

I would REALLY like to know what was going through your mind. You show all the restraint of a 4 year old who has just located his older brother's secret lolly stash.

jim.cox
1st July 2008, 10:23
FFS Harden up you lot of frigging Nazis

That sort of riding isn't automatically dangerous

The road there is wide and straight with good sight distances

I dont have a problem with someone moving around while riding - watch any enduro rider and you'll see what I mean

Or are we going to be bolted directly to our perches and not allowed ever to let go the bars, stands on the pegs, scratch or arses?

What a bunch of girly blouses

:devil:

Fatjim
1st July 2008, 10:29
Classic.

At least he wasn't txting.

MSTRS
1st July 2008, 10:30
That's not exactly 'relieving a sore cheek' nor is the road uncluttered. What the hell do you think you are doing defending this sort of thing in the situation and circumstances it was done?

jim.cox
1st July 2008, 10:38
What the hell do you think you are doing defending this sort of thing in the situation and circumstances it was done?

'cos I don't think it's actually dangerous

and 'cos you'se guys seem more worried about "the look"

scorry
1st July 2008, 10:39
What ever mate, no one has said it was dangerous, its just stupid.
Sposed to be supporting rider safety.
I agree that we can move around on our bikes, i do it all the time, sliding accross the seat to keep the bike more up right, but keep your feet on each side of the bike and usually on the pegs.
Time and a place if you wanna try show off.

James Deuce
1st July 2008, 10:43
'cos I don't think it's dangerous

you'se guys seem more worried about "the look"

Time & place. The look was important as it was a ride supporting a "safer" road environment. People who can barely drive the car they are taking the photo from can hardly be relied upon to make a value judgment on what is safe behaviour on a motorcycle, now can they?

MSTRS
1st July 2008, 10:46
'cos I don't think it's dangerous

you'se guys seem more worried about "the look"

It is dangerous...in the situation.
Sure, the rider may have felt in full control, but he cannot properly respond to a sudden emergency around him.
For observers the 'look', as you put it, is the reality.
What is so hard to understand? The riders all understood what was expected of them, and this cock thinks he is exempt. :spanking:

Katman
1st July 2008, 10:49
Hope Katman doesn't see this thread.

Hate to disappoint you WT.

Can't say I'm surprised at all.

MSTRS
1st July 2008, 10:54
Hundreds rode and this ONE dick is the only stupid shit that has come to light. How about some praise for the rest?

Pumpkin Pie
1st July 2008, 11:17
It's all about perception, much like most public/political issues.

Motig
1st July 2008, 11:19
I find it suprising that someone would be so anal that they would stuff up an event that is supposed to draw attention to a serious problem. I also see that the newspaper report says "riders" not just one was playing silly bastards. Not surprising tho is that some members of this forum think the actions are OK. And where the photo was taken from is irelevant, just an attempt to shift the blame methinks. It certainly helps once again to reinforce the negative motorcyclists image. Thank you tho to the organisers of the ride, you did well. You must be mighty hacked of to see the bad PR that came from your good deed. Dont despair because of retards, motorcycling needs people like you who have the guts to see a problem and do something about it. Ride safe.

Katman
1st July 2008, 11:20
Hundreds rode and this ONE dick is the only stupid shit that has come to light. How about some praise for the rest?

See there's another problem. We're breeding a mentality that expects praise for riding in a manner that should be seen as the norm.

(And I've already stated my praise for the organisation of, and the commitment to, the Rescue helicopter rides in another thread).

WelshWizard
1st July 2008, 11:33
first
It looks like the bike has just been push started,
second
Just because its a 100kph zone does not mean they were doing a 100kph.
third
when you look at the photo, it does not show any evidence of movement of the one takeing the photo, look at the lines on the road all reasonably clear, also the same can be said of the riders.
Forth
We all know the press wants the most they can get from any event even to the point of ignoring all facts.

So perhaps we need to find out what speed was he travelling at, had he just push started his bike, after all the weather was not the best and I remember a bike which had problems at Back fires funeral having to be push started, and a photo taken at the right angle could easaly have made that look dangerous.

So lets find out all the fact and both sides of the story before lighting the witches fires please.

Chrislost
1st July 2008, 11:34

hang on a minute...
what would you actually get pinged for if you did that past say, "ginger cop"?
$150 for unsafe riding position?
?????????
(in no way do i think that its a smart thing to do things such as these on a protest/fund raising ride)

fatzx10r
1st July 2008, 11:40
first
second
third
when you look at the photo, it does not show any evidence of movement of the one takeing the photo, look at the lines on the road all reasonably clear, also the same can be said of the riders.
Forth
We all know the press wants the most they can get from any event even to the point of ignoring all facts.

So perhaps we need to find out what speed was he travelling at, had he just push started his bike, after all the weather was not the best and I remember a bike which had problems at Back fires funeral having to be push started, and a photo taken at the right angle could easaly have made that look dangerous.

So lets find out all the fact and both sides of the story before lighting the witches fires please.

he was doing at lest 100kph

WelshWizard
1st July 2008, 11:50

Did you witness the event?

Kornholio
1st July 2008, 11:52

He might be able to run really fast :blink:

fatzx10r
1st July 2008, 11:53

didnt see him doing that, but im just up in front a bit. im sure if he was trying to push start his bike he wouldnt be doing it in the middle of sh1

WelshWizard
1st July 2008, 11:59
didnt see him doing that, but im just up in front a bit. im sure if he was trying to push start his bike he wouldnt be doing it in the middle of sh1

If you say you were doing 100kph then it must be, but it does seem strange that even the riders baggy jeans are not flapping back through wind speed.

MSTRS
1st July 2008, 13:46
See there's another problem. We're breeding a mentality that expects praise for riding in a manner that should be seen as the norm.

(And I've already stated my praise for the organisation of, and the commitment to, the Rescue helicopter rides in another thread).

You'll catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar.

scumdog
1st July 2008, 17:12

You would be stretching my credibility a tad by expecting me to beleive they were doing 10kph and that guy was just getting onto his bike after push-starting it just as the others rode off without taking any notice of him AND it all happening in the rain in the middle of SH1 with a car approaching from behind....<_<

While the pic doesn't tell the whole story it does'nt make it look any good to the public that buy the paper..:no:

scumdog
1st July 2008, 17:18

I dont have a problem with someone moving around while riding - watch any enduro rider and you'll see what I mean

Or are we going to be bolted directly to our perches and not allowed ever to let go the bars, stands on the pegs, scratch or arses?

Don't tell US that.

Tell it to the public, the media and all those who DO perceive it to be 'dangerous'

HOWEVER I have reservations about the wiseness of doing it on a bald tyre (if true) and on a wet road with other traffic...

skidMark
1st July 2008, 17:19
He was just stretching his legs...

And who let carver onto the south island anyway.

jrandom
1st July 2008, 17:22

This isn't about debating whether standing on one side of the bike while riding in a straight line is 'dangerous' or not; it's about whether doing so on this occasion created a negative impression in the public eye.

Perception is reality.

Mom
1st July 2008, 17:29
This isn't about debating whether standing on one side of the bike while riding in a straight line is 'dangerous' or not; it's about whether doing so on this occasion created a negative impression in the public eye.

Perception is reality.

Thank you. It is indeed about perception. This was neither the time nor the place to rest your legs, have a stretch or push start your motorcycle at 100km/ph or what ever speed the ride was running at. I am picking there was more going on prior to that pic being taken for the person behind in the car to have gone to the trouble of taking it and sending it to the paper.

Very disappointing indeed, and not something that should have been considered an option in the situation. Alas, this is probably a young person, with an underdeveloped brain as far as thought processes go who made a bad decision to do what he was doing, thinking he got away with it, only to find himself the subject of a news article in the paper and a big discussion on here.

My hope he sees what a fool he was in that situation actually, and that he is not boasting to his mates about how cool he is! TUI anyone?

MSTRS
1st July 2008, 17:32
The other thing to note is that despite the staggered positions he hasn't left much in the way of following distance. I know there is some fore-shortening in photos, but check rear tyre positions relative to the dotted lines.

alanzs
1st July 2008, 17:34
Quite the fancy trick. I would have thought those in Dunedin could do something a little more noteworthy than that. What an embarrassment to us all.

:2guns::2guns::2guns::2guns::2guns:

JimO
1st July 2008, 17:36
wasnt me........

Patch
1st July 2008, 17:54
first
second
third
Forth

So perhaps we need to find out what speed was he travelling at, had he just push started his bike, after all the weather was not the best and I remember a bike which had problems at Back fires funeral having to be push started, and a photo taken at the right angle could easily have made that look dangerous.

quite a good fucking point made here.

some are quick to blame 'cages' for assuming shit an yet, half this thread has done the same. Until someone steps up an says exactly what did happen . . . who the fuck cares.

It is only Dunedin, they'll only be getting the paper to light their fire, half them can't read any who

doc
1st July 2008, 17:54
Perception is reality.

Unfortunately getting those who ride bikes to behave is as one KB'r explained to me on a KB'r awareness ride. "Like trying to herd cat's" :crybaby:

cowboyz
1st July 2008, 17:58

They werent on a enduro ride. They were on a public ride to raise awareness for the safety of motorcycles. Not the way to change the image of bikers.

I said ages ago when organising the manawatu route that there will be no stunts (and there werent which is good) because one stunt (no matter how many times the action has been performed and how confident the rider is) will put negative light on publics perception. And that is exactly what has happened here.
I also said the only way to change the habits of the few is peer pressure. Lets hope some grow some and speek up to say this is unacceptable.

'cos I don't think it's actually dangerous

and 'cos you'se guys seem more worried about "the look"

Being dangerous or not is not the point. You are right about "the look". For one fucking day he could have considered the efforts of many and pulled his head in. Selfish has never been this high since the auckland motorway incidents.

wasnt me........

And neither was it hundreds of other riders who rode on that day. But look whats in the paper!

alanzs
1st July 2008, 18:01
wasnt me........

Thank you. It really was an embarrassment. Give me a full on stoppie, or wheely at 200 kmh, but that trick was out and out lame. Bloody Village People stunt! :mellow:

Mom
1st July 2008, 18:01
Here is part of what one of the organisers said to me today (it is in my profile notes for those that may think I am quoting a PM)

" we are so embarrassed there a times and place for that kinda cr** and this wasent one of them"

Sad eh!

MSTRS
1st July 2008, 18:02
And neither was it hundreds of other riders who rode on that day. But look whats in the paper!

That's it in a nutshell.

Pedrostt500
1st July 2008, 18:04
In New Zealand, we have Morons that drive cars, Morons that drive trucks, and Morons that ride motorcycles, it doesnt mean that every ones is a moron, but we all get tared with the same brush.
As I have said in other threads, "you can desighn and build somthing that is Idiot Proof, but some where some one will be building a bigger and better Idiot.

Kittyhawk
1st July 2008, 18:08

Noo Carver only does monos on such events....and since its not skidmark whoooo is it!

Its sad how the smallest negative things have the biggest impact.

Name and shame....then put him in a headstock!!

alanzs
1st July 2008, 18:09
That's it in a nutshell.

Newspapers are in the business to sell more papers, hence they note sensationalist crap like this article. No mention of the person who had taken the photo, as it was obviously a dangerous act, being so close to the motorcycle and taking their hands off the wheel to photo this horrendous act of dangerous driving.

What do we really expect, and accept from the media? When Paris Hilton is on the front page of the paper, that's newsworthy? Or when a gossip columnist, Rachel Doucheina (sic) lies to Mick Jagger to try to get him to do something illegal and it gets a 30% increase in circulation?
Journalism 101, nothing more. :jerry:

MSTRS
1st July 2008, 18:17
Newspapers are in the business to sell more papers, hence they note sensationalist crap like this article. No mention of the person who had taken the photo, as it was obviously a dangerous act, being so close to the motorcycle and taking their hands off the wheel to photo this horrendous act of dangerous driving.

What do we really expect, and accept from the media? When Paris Hilton is on the front page of the paper, that's newsworthy? Or when a gossip columnist, Rachel Doucheina (sic) lies to Mick Jagger to try to get him to do something illegal and it gets a 30% increase in circulation?
Journalism 101, nothing more. :jerry:

All true. But the 'thinking' public don't. And this is where they get their opinions from.

NighthawkNZ
1st July 2008, 18:18

and it was raining with greasy roads... while riding within a group... of unknown other riders... hmmmm

ynot slow
1st July 2008, 18:21
All he needed to do if this stunt was necessary,was do it away from the ride if he had to do it at all.Imagine the hue and cry if he was a bonnet ornament on the photographers car,the calls of cage travelling to close maybe?

P38
1st July 2008, 18:23
One Bad Apple is all it takes.

Unfortunately Bad news sells papers heaps more than Good news.

Good on ya for organising the ride though.

NighthawkNZ
1st July 2008, 18:25
I also see that the newspaper report says "riders" not just one was playing silly bastards. .

headline says Riders' Stunt blah blah blah (not riders, or rider's)which is correct meaning the action of the one

kiwi cowboy
1st July 2008, 18:32

dont always agree with you katman but you hit a nail on the head here. cheers

Maha
1st July 2008, 19:04

That photo looks (to me) as if its taken from another bike, not some random person who just happened to be there in a car, there is no screen glear. Has this point been raised yet?

Motig
1st July 2008, 19:17
Sorry to be pedantic Nighthawk but perhaps you better read the article again.

Conquiztador
1st July 2008, 19:19
Maan U guys are quick to judge. Does anyone have any facts? Has anyone spoken to the guy? With 20 riders surely someone knows who he is.

If the day comes when I end up in court I pray that none of U are in the jury!!

Tank
1st July 2008, 19:28
Maan U guys are quick to judge. Does anyone have any facts? Has anyone spoken to the guy? With 20 riders surely someone knows who he is.

The facts don't matter - perception does.

NighthawkNZ
1st July 2008, 19:29
Sorry to be pedantic Nighthawk but perhaps you better read the article again.

It says some... not all... and maybe there was others doing stupid stuff as well (don't know I wasn't on the ride) but he only got a photo of the one...

Conquiztador
1st July 2008, 19:32

I see.

"I did not do it!"

"Shut up, it looked like you did so in jail with ya!!"

kiwi cowboy
1st July 2008, 19:35
That photo looks (to me) as if its taken from another bike, not some random person who just happened to be there in a car, there is no screen glear. Has this point been raised yet?

If the photo was taken on a dull day with no flash maybe no screen glear?.
If it was taken from a bike in the rain would there not be water spots on the lens and photo?just my thoughts:whistle:

NighthawkNZ
1st July 2008, 19:36
If it was taken from a bike in the rain would there not be water spots on the lens and photo?just my thoughts:whistle:

it was a crap day...

T.I.E
1st July 2008, 19:39
1.out of all the COOL stunts to do, this did not look like anything impressive.
2.the rider on the cruiser next to the guilty rider was seems to be in a hunched over position almost trying to avoid the weather. if the weather was crappy as it was then i wouldnt be trying to stand on a peg like that trying to avoid the weather.
3.there is some spray coming up from the tyres of the bikes suggesting some water on the road surface.
4.he is at the back of the group i am seeing or assuming, so why would someone do tricks back there, none of your mates will see you. how can you show off?
5.was he a TEC? if so usually they are the most sedate ones in the group.

so whats the conspiracy theory????
he was placed there by a reporter just to get a good story. it was a set up i tell ya.

DMNTD
1st July 2008, 19:40

In this particular case/environment...yes

kiwi cowboy
1st July 2008, 19:43
he was placed there by a reporter just to get a good story. it was a set up i tell ya.

well stranger things have happened. maybe a point:shit:

cowboyz
1st July 2008, 19:47

it shouldnt be rocket science to work out when trying to make an impression and you are doing stunts the impression is not one of safety.

Maybe the real problem is this has to be explained.

exactly. I would think that with all the promoted safety around the ride, if someone wanted to go do stunts they would have gone off somewhere else. The ride wasnt complusary was it?

Katman
1st July 2008, 19:50
Some of my previous threads that never survived the light of too many days could probably provide some interesting reading right about now.

FJRider
1st July 2008, 19:52

ex JAFA ya reckon ???

Mom
1st July 2008, 19:54

I am told these photos, for there are more than the one that was printed are good quality, these are not snaps off the cell phone of a pissed off motorist.

1.out of all the COOL stunts to do, this did not look like anything impressive.
2.the rider on the cruiser next to the guilty rider was seems to be in a hunched over position almost trying to avoid the weather. if the weather was crappy as it was then i wouldnt be trying to stand on a peg like that trying to avoid the weather.
3.there is some spray coming up from the tyres of the bikes suggesting some water on the road surface.
4.he is at the back of the group i am seeing or assuming, so why would someone do tricks back there, none of your mates will see you. how can you show off?
5.was he a TEC? if so usually they are the most sedate ones in the group.

You show wisdom grasshopper!

Fact of the matter there was some stupid stuff done on this ride. The organisers are really upset and embarassed. I have just got off the phone to them. They did everything right, and still got a dick doing that.

Shame on that biker!

T.I.E
1st July 2008, 19:58
You show wisdom grasshopper!

Fact of the matter there was some stupid stuff done on this ride. The organisers are really upset and embarassed. I have just got off the phone to them. They did everything right, and still got a dick doing that.

Shame on that biker!

it really is a shame, it just takes one, well at least thats all i hope it was just one.

Mom
1st July 2008, 20:05
it really is a shame, it just takes one, well at least thats all i hope it was just one.

I should edit my post to reflect that there was more than one rider being a dick on that ride, there was only one that got his/her pic in the paper! Love to get my hands on them really, so irresponsible to play up on a public ride like that!

Katman
1st July 2008, 20:10
Any bikers want to claim these bikers as their 'brothers'?

FROSTY
1st July 2008, 20:13
Concerned member of the "public" my ass.
Thats a picture from a propper camera --ie member of the press.

The "stunt" itself aint dangerous -Ive done it hundreds of times starting race bikes or flat battery roadies.
What it was was friggin stupid at that time and place when ya have a more than reasonable expectation of some sort of press coverage.

Katman
1st July 2008, 20:18
Concerned member of the "public" my ass.
Thats a picture from a propper camera --ie member of the press.

I'm going to have to go out and stock up on some more straw - what with those on here suddenly trying to clutch at them.

Chri5tina
1st July 2008, 20:22
Firstly, thank you to everyone for your supportive comments. Although there has been some bad press, I appreciate that everyone can understand why this has become such an issue for the campaign and for those who attended the Dunedin ride.

When contacted by the ODT for comment, I was advised that this picture was not the only one (nor the only person involved) and I will be formally requesting copies of these images.

Public perception is everything in an event such as this! Needless to say, we are all quite embarrassed.

I would like to extend an invitation to this person, and any others who feel they may have behaved somewhat inappropriately (as they may be reading this thread) to contact me on a confidential basis to discuss their actions. If not, I will probably find out who you are anyway and that may not be quite so discreet.

I have no doubt that this person was travelling at speed and was followed by the photographer for some time. It is not a coincidence that they "got a lucky shot".

Again, thanks to all who participated! The ride was certainly successful in bringing attention to the Dunedin biker community.

Christina & Hayden

The Pastor
1st July 2008, 20:27

Arnt you in the SI skid? care to admit anything.... :D

DEATH_INC.
1st July 2008, 20:43
Goddamit, would you guys stop making Katman look right..... this is very sad. For f***s sake, even I can behave myself for this cause, why can't the rest of ya?????

Katman
1st July 2008, 20:46
Goddamit, would you guys stop making Katman look right

Katman's always been one step beyond the look. :msn-wink:

Swoop
1st July 2008, 20:49
A public ride has the opportunity to attract an interested media person. This one appears adept with a camera and has been given a golden opportunity for a publishable photograph.
Right time, right place, right idiot on bike, right camera. One cannot blame the press on this one.

ex JAFA ya reckon ???
The moron few are Hamiltonians.

musicman
1st July 2008, 20:52

Is it just me or does the person on the left look like they're not holding onto the handlebars? That could also be seen as "dangerous driving" to the general public...

Katman
1st July 2008, 20:55
I still can't believe that no-one who attended the Dunedin ride either knows or is prepared to name the rider(s) in question.

FJRider
1st July 2008, 21:06
Arnt you in the SI skid? care to admit anything.... :D

HE would have been about 600 km's NORTH of that location, and with out a bike... Anyway, If it was HIM, the goat would have been on there as pillion. :2guns:

kiwi cowboy
1st July 2008, 21:07
Is it just me or does the person on the left look like they're not holding onto the handlebars? That could also be seen as "dangerous driving" to the general public...

you could be right on that to musicman it doesent look like they have to me

Mom
1st July 2008, 21:13
I still can't believe that no-one who attended the Dunedin ride either knows or is prepared to name the rider(s) in question.

My understanding after talking tonight with the organisers is, everyone that took part officially on that ride signed in, name, address etc agreeing to abide by the rules. Not all of the attendees were KB members!

The organisers are doing their best to find out who it was, they are seriously upset about what happened. Please do not continue to wind this up mate, or you will get my blood up too. These lovely kids, stuck their hands up to organise this ride, made every right provision that you could do, and still got let down!

The reality is that most that attended are not members here, dont read your posts and are strangers to the people that took part.

Can I please have your motheres telephone number? I really want to know how she managed to raise such a perfect son, no fault friggen angel. Mind you her advice will be a bit late now for me, I already have my son out in the big wide world.

carver
1st July 2008, 21:17
IF IT WAS THE FEW YOU WOULD HAVE STANDUPS, STOPPIES AND WHEELIES.

IF THIS PERSON IS A kb'R pm ME FOR MEMBERSHIP INTO THE FEW

Katman
1st July 2008, 21:26
Can I please have your motheres telephone number? I really want to know how she managed to raise such a perfect son, no fault friggen angel. Mind you her advice will be a bit late now for me, I already have my son out in the big wide world.

If you'd care to point me in the direction of my post where I claimed to be or even implied that I was perfect then I'll gladly provide you with my mother's phone number.

She might shock you though.

Genestho
1st July 2008, 21:29
I too would wait for the facts before you light the torches.

I dont know if you have yet, but get control of the situation within the media immediately, accept that you have gained some publicity - be it good or bad and bite the bullet.

If I were you Id get an original copy of that photo. The more I look at it the more it all seems a bit odd. Anyway..

Good effort guys! Dont get down about it, whats done is done.

BiK3RChiK
1st July 2008, 21:35
Name and shame....then put him in a headstock!!

Yeah, so then we can all throw rotten tomatoes at him!

nodrog
1st July 2008, 21:40
will anything constructive to the cause come from lynching this person?

dont get me wrong, im not saying their actions were apropriate, but its been and done and nobody has a time machine to go back and change things, so what will happen?

wouldnt it be better to get proactive on promoting some more good publicity, instead of focusing on one knobend doing some crap stunt that any 7 year old can do on their raleigh 20?

Kittyhawk
1st July 2008, 21:46
Yeah, so then we can all throw rotten tomatoes at him!

Cant forget rotton eggs, and dog food haha:pinch:

sidecar bob
1st July 2008, 21:56
wouldnt it be better to get proactive on promoting some more good publicity, instead of focusing on one knobend doing some crap stunt that any 7 year old can do on their raleigh 20?

If thats a stunt then im fuckin Santa Claus.

DEATH_INC.
1st July 2008, 21:58

dont get me wrong, im not saying their actions were apropriate, but its been and done and nobody has a time machine to go back and change things, so what will happen?

You're right, we will carry on. It is just a kick in the face to those that ran this event, with all the hard work put in to get it organised.... too late now though, the damage is done.

nodrog
1st July 2008, 21:59

apparently it is.

is he a good root?

sidecar bob
1st July 2008, 22:12
apparently it is.

is he a good root?

A gentleman never tells. ;)

Mom
1st July 2008, 22:36
If you'd care to point me in the direction of my post where I claimed to be or even implied that I was perfect then I'll gladly provide you with my mother's phone number.

She might shock you though.

I cant you silly, silly boy!

You never claim to be perfect you just know you are, and take great pleasure in attempting to show us all in your pedantic, antagonistic, trolling, bullshit content posts.

As far as being shocked is concerned...*snigger* whatever.

Kornholio
1st July 2008, 23:08

Ho ho ho :baby:

alanzs
1st July 2008, 23:10

If I am on the jury, you'll be convicted. I always figure, if they're arrested, and on trial, then they're guilty, if not for this particular offense, then another that they got away with. Every time I get called for jury duty, I tell the attorneys and the judge this loud and clear, so there is no mistaking my opinion.

Its kept me off of jury duty for many, many years. :2thumbsup

alanzs
1st July 2008, 23:16

What's being constructive have to do with anything?

Any dindong who can do a terrible "stunt" like that should be publicly laughed at. It's fun, and funny too. Throw rotten eggs at him, or put a donkeys tail on him. Make him wear his nana's panties on his head, you know, something really funny.

:jerry::jerry::jerry::jerry::jerry:

Xaria
2nd July 2008, 05:43
Its not like a journalist was following aiming for a bad photo. It was buried in the paper on the same page as the court news

jim.cox
2nd July 2008, 09:36
going with the "being constructive" idea...

what can we do to ensure the "thinking public (tui)" understand that it is NOT actually dangerous pre se?

or are you guys happy to further see your right to ride further infringed by the dull opinion of the masses as re-inforced by the media?

James Deuce
2nd July 2008, 09:45

what can we do to ensure the "thinking public (tui)" understand that it is NOT actually dangerous pre se?

"They" won't. Not ever.

Unless you ride a motorcycle regularly, you have no mental framework for what comprises "safe" behaviour.

I've been lectured by old blokes in Skoda Octavias for scraping my pegs. Old blokes who when pressed admit that they've never actually ridden a motorcycle, except for an Uncle's Velocette in 1936 and they crashed into a fence. They appear to drop into a focal seizure the moment you say "ahhh, target fixation", and yiou can make good your escape at this point.

We don't have what is commonly accepted as "media" in NZ. We have gossip networks and advertising revenue earners. You won't do anything about them ever, if you don't stop watching.

MSTRS
2nd July 2008, 09:46

or are you guys happy to further see your right to ride further infringed by the dull opinion of the masses as re-inforced by the media?

Are you thick? Of course that pathetic 'stunt' was dangerous...in that situation

jim.cox
2nd July 2008, 09:57
Are you thick?

Probably :)

Of course that pathetic 'stunt' was dangerous.

Was anyone hurt? Did anyone fall off?

MSTRS
2nd July 2008, 10:04
Probably :)

So you wouldn't mind standing up against this wall....whilst these 20 riflemen try some target practice? They are poor shots, by the way, so that should make it OK...

slimjim
2nd July 2008, 10:09
what a fucking dag.................:weep:

Tank
2nd July 2008, 10:12

Nobody has to get hurt or fall off to make something dangerous.

anyway ...

I was thinking about this - and remembered when the whole CC started with the death of the young guy on the southern motorway wasn't there a similar situation with people pulling stoppies etc on the very first ride (despite being asked not to ride like idiots?

I guess we have to understand that there will always be people who think what they want is more important than everything else - they actually don't care about the CC campaign, or the other riders there.

They are out to have a good time - this is their objective nothing else. The fact that some ride is there - just gives them a opportunity to get out.

If they cared about the campaign, or the charity (for charity rides), they wouldn't pull this kind of act.

The big problem is:

Its really hard to get a good reputation, and very easy to get a bad one.

People like this are the ones that are noticed - and are the ones that end up giving us all a bad name - deserved or not.

Quasievil
2nd July 2008, 10:28
Perhaps on the first cheesecutter ride, when I did stand up with a loud haler and said quiet categorically that there is to be NO dum behaviour, at that time had we banned those DUMMIES we would have sent a message to future KB organised riders that poor behaviour would not be tolerated.
then perhaps this ride would not have had a incident which ended up in the papers.

I ranted and raved trying to get these guys banned ...........but no, apparently this is not a club therefore its okay ? and although they got a verbal beating from Kbrs online they are still here causing shit, and had it been a fine day Im sure we would have been graced with their presence. I still believe that KB needs to be a bit more authoritive and get a few codes of conduct (or something) especially in these events, especially when the KB name is broadcast in the media

MSTRS
2nd July 2008, 10:36
Perhaps on the first cheesecutter ride, when I did stand up with a loud haler and said quiet categorically that there is to be NO dum behaviour, at that time had we banned those DUMMIES we would have sent a message to future KB organised riders that poor behaviour would not be tolerated.
then perhaps this ride would not have had a incident which ended up in the papers.

I ranted and raved trying to get these guys banned ...........but no, apparently this is not a club therefore its okay ? and although they got a verbal beating from Kbrs online they are still here causing shit, and had it been a fine day Im sure we would have been graced with their presence. I still believe that KB needs to be a bit more authoritive and get a few codes of conduct (or something) especially in these events, especially when the KB name is broadcast in the media
+1 to that.
Mind you, the terminally stupid have enough support among themselves to not pay attention to the majority of us.

WelshWizard
2nd July 2008, 17:23

I agree on this,
But one thing about the first ride I remember was I was talking to one of the cops when a rider went over the bridge full wheelie across it , the rider had no arm band on, so I was not sure that the stunter was just a passing moron trying to show off to the ones gathered there, I did watch out for the bike, but as far as I am aware it never returned to the protest, but cleared off out the way, probably because when they were over the other side of the bridge they realized the had an audience of about 5 Cops.

When we are on these rides we have to be regimental and squeaky clean as there will always be some one out there trying to discredit these runs.

NighthawkNZ
2nd July 2008, 17:43
Perhaps on the first cheesecutter ride...

blah blah blah...

...especially in these events, especially when the KB name is broadcast in the media

No guarantees that he is a Kber either... the event was advertised in other areas...

Mom
2nd July 2008, 17:54
No guarantees that he is a Kber either... the event was advertised in other areas...

Absolutely, I made this same point last night. It actually makes no difference where this bloke came from really, he chose to ride against the organisers specific rules, that he would have signed and agreed to before the ride started.

Shit happens, lets move on. This ride was a part of a HUGE effort around the country that raised $10K for resuce helicopter services around the country!

For one I would like to see us concentrate on the positives from this weekend gone, and stop giving this dickhead any more jollies by talking about him.

If it can be determined he is a KB member then I am front of the Que to give him berries on here!

Mom
2nd July 2008, 19:59
I have copies of the 3 photos that were sent to the ODT. I have the rego numbers of the bikes (2) involved.

To be fair the one they printed was the only one that could be construed to be out of line. I myself have been known to stretch my legs out to regain circulation from time to time, so a pic of a rider with straight legs by the side of the bike is easily defended by all.

It appears by the pic numbering that this photographer took at least 73 photos of the ride. They only managed to find 3 noteworthy ones to send to the ODT.

I rang the ODT yesterday to put my side of this issue as one of the original organisers of this whole event, they elected not to follow up. Storm in tea cup!

Over and out!

JimO
2nd July 2008, 20:20
is the dude on the cruiser riding with no hands next to the one legged man

Nikolai_V
2nd July 2008, 22:55

That`d be the same principle which allows you to ignore all the people not killed and injured by barriers (in fact saved by them) and concentrate on two fatalities, if i`m not mistaken.

Its called perception, and it applies to stupid motorcyclists doing silly things as well as plane crashes and shark attacks.

Usarka
2nd July 2008, 23:50
It appears by the pic numbering that this photographer took at least 73 photos of the ride. They only managed to find 3 noteworthy ones to send to the ODT.

Can you tell us the name of the photographer?

Mom
3rd July 2008, 07:23
Can you tell us the name of the photographer?

Wish I could.

NordieBoy
3rd July 2008, 08:25

In Nelson there was one rider who was kerb hopping, splitting traffic at intersections, parking on footpaths, standing in the road and the cops did absolutely nothing.

The only real problem for our ride was the speeds.
We got to the destination about 45min early.
We had a cop car leading and still managed to make it a quicker ride than possible for the same roads on a normal day.

Mom
3rd July 2008, 08:31
In Nelson there was one rider who was kerb hopping, splitting traffic at intersections, parking on footpaths, standing in the road and the cops did absolutely nothing.

The only real problem for our ride was the speeds.
We got to the destination about 45min early.
We had a cop car leading and still managed to make it a quicker ride than possible for the same roads on a normal day.

That is not uncommon on that sort of ride. We usually do the big ride in Auckland that is well policed all the way. I have had the strange experience of being waved on and encouraged to go faster when doing 100k in a 50 by a member of the police.

vifferman
3rd July 2008, 08:52
People like this are the ones that are noticed - and are the ones that end up giving us all a bad name - deserved or not.
You have to realise this is the sole reason they pull stunts like this - to get noticed. They have a big crowd of fellow riders to notice them, and their impressive stunting and marvel at how big their willies are.
Think of all the acclamation!

The approbation!

The masturbation.... :rolleyes:

MSTRS
3rd July 2008, 08:57
...off-hand, trite, condescending bullshit...
Yea - we know who pays your wages

FJRider
3rd July 2008, 10:54
The moron few are Hamiltonians.

So they're just learning to be JAFFA's ...??? :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

scumdog
3rd July 2008, 12:04
You have to realise this is the sole reason they pull stunts like this - to get noticed. They have a big crowd of fellow riders to notice them, and their impressive stunting and marvel at how big their willies are.
Think of all the acclamation!

The approbation!

The masturbation.... :rolleyes:

The emfazziz on the last comment I feel...

hayd3n
3rd July 2008, 17:32
wow theres more interest in here then before we organised the ride . dont let one fool bring it all down!!!! im sure there were idiots everywhere .its was just a couple on my ride that got snapped!!

Mom
3rd July 2008, 17:38
wow theres more interest in here then before we organised the ride . dont let one fool bring it all down!!!! im sure there were idiots everywhere .its was just a couple on my ride that got snapped!!

Weird how that happens eh mate? Dont stress though. What happened, happened for what ever reason. Already being used to wrap fush and chups by now in the real world...LOL

<Rhino>
4th July 2008, 07:29
Hey Steam, can you please post me up a copy of the paper? P O Box 360 Warkworth. I am keeping a record of all publicity around this weekends rides, guess I should have the good with the bad. What a shame!
Obviously a pissed off car driver with nothing better to do.

Very dissappointing to think that anyone would undermine such a positive initiative by doing stupid stuff on a ride.

I saw a small article in my local paper this morning that stated transit NZ would fund a reseach project into the safety of cheescutters in relation to motocyclists, said they take our safety seriously. I can post that to you if you like?

JimO
4th July 2008, 07:43
the photo has been reprinted this morning in the letters to the editor column and the number plates are able to be read, if anyone is interisted

Mom
4th July 2008, 08:00
I saw a small article in my local paper this morning that stated transit NZ would fund a reseach project into the safety of cheescutters in relation to motocyclists, said they take our safety seriously. I can post that to you if you like?

Yes please P O Box 360 Warkworth.

sunhuntin
4th July 2008, 08:13
Yes please P O Box 360 Warkworth.

i have a dom to post to you with the chron... stating there are calls for the wire to be extended to mckays crossing after a TRANSIT van collided with another vehicle. funny there was no mention of cause of incident, just that a wire would have prevented it.

Mom
4th July 2008, 08:20
i have a dom to post to you with the chron... stating there are calls for the wire to be extended to mckays crossing after a TRANSIT van collided with another vehicle. funny there was no mention of cause of incident, just that a wire would have prevented it.

These things are being installed every where. I was talking to a man last night who gave me a big heads up to another extension of these things close to my home. I am investigating this as there appears to be no good reason to install WRB, the road is wide enough to put concrete barriers in place. Interesetingly enough, this road is being WIDENED from what it is now, and there are NO barriers on it at the moment.

xknuts
4th July 2008, 09:50
the photo has been reprinted this morning in the letters to the editor column and the number plates are able to be read, if anyone is interisted

$3.00 at the NZ Post office will tell all! :spanking:

vifferman
4th July 2008, 09:57
funny there was no mention of cause of incident, just that a wire would have prevented it.
But better driving skills and practices would've been a better preventative measure.

scumdog
4th July 2008, 10:02
$3.00 at the NZ Post office will tell all! :spanking:

The 'no-hands-Honda' needs a WOF too:eek:

scumdog
4th July 2008, 10:04
But better driving skills and practices would've been a better preventative measure.

Sadly we're dealing with fallible mortals here - ones we share the roads with and ones who don't beleive they are bad drivers.:weep:

MSTRS
4th July 2008, 10:30
stating there are calls for the wire to be extended to mckays crossing after a TRANSIT van collided with another vehicle. funny there was no mention of cause of incident, just that a wire would have prevented it.

Without meaning to be pedantic, the incident would not have been avoided...unless the wires had a part in the cause...it would have had a different outcome, is all.

sunhuntin
4th July 2008, 11:02
if i remember, ill bring the article home next week and type it up. it did not state cause, or other ways of avoiding what happened, but was blowing long and loud over the "need" for a barrier. i found it interesting that it was a transit vehicle involved.

hayd3n
4th July 2008, 17:54
how can you tell he needs a wof ????

Kornholio
4th July 2008, 17:57
how can you tell he needs a wof ????

The boys in blue know all......... :devil2:

dipshit
4th July 2008, 18:14

It appears so. And here was me thinking all the wankers live up north.

The rot is setting in... :(

FJRider
4th July 2008, 18:16
if i remember, ill bring the article home next week and type it up. it did not state cause, or other ways of avoiding what happened, but was blowing long and loud over the "need" for a barrier. i found it interesting that it was a transit vehicle involved.

Was it a FORD transit van or TRANSIT NZ owned ???

hayd3n
4th July 2008, 18:16
wow cool ill make sure ppl sign a( i have a wof rego next time lol)

JimO
4th July 2008, 19:03
you can check the rego with carfax and it tells you when the wof is due

hayd3n
4th July 2008, 19:22
wow thats easy

GaZBur
4th July 2008, 19:50
you can check the rego with carfax and it tells you when the wof is due
WOW - thanks for that. Just looked for a matter of interest and discovered my cars warrant expired today!!!:slap:
http://www.carfax.co.nz/