PDA

View Full Version : Got my clip-ons fitted

disenfranchised
1st July 2008, 19:44
I've had some clip-ons and other parts waiting round to be fitted for a while now, but what with having a holiday and too much work on, it's been on hold.

Finally all done though.

So now attached is:
Some woodcraft billet clipons
A Nissin brake master cylinder and lever
Satinless brake lines

Main reason for doing all this was for comfort...before I bought my bike I sat on the GT250R and found it very comfy....but then went and bought the GT250 to save money...didn't really know enough back then.

I've found over time that the upright bars just don't suit me...and cause my right wrist (which I've broken and has never healed 100%) to become quite sore.
With the clip-ons it seems to shift the weight point to my shoulders and not my wrist, so it doesn't hurt.

As a bones it's made a huge difference to how the bike rides.
With my weight more forward the whole front feels more solidly fixed to the road.
Turning seems much lighter too.

I did the brake lever cause I wanted an adjustable one. Found the Nissin one on trademe cheap as a combined unit, which was much easier than mixing parts, and much cheaper than buying hyosung original parts too.

Did the braided lines cause I'd heard it made a difference, and that section of the bike was being worked on anyway...so I figured I'd do them at the same time.

Braking does definitely have more feel now...perhaps a bit softer than I expected, but my pads nearly need to be replaced...which might firm things up.

All up, very happy. Would definitely recommend clip-ons to taller GT250 riders

nivram
1st July 2008, 20:52
Nice job, did you do all this yourself? If so how easy was it to do, and where dod you get all the parts from. This is something I'd like to do.

Taz
1st July 2008, 21:00
Cool. What's a Satinless brake line?

disenfranchised
1st July 2008, 22:10

dyslexic typing is what it is :Oops:

supposed to be...Stainless Steel braided brake hose

disenfranchised
1st July 2008, 22:16
Nice job, did you do all this yourself? If so how easy was it to do, and where dod you get all the parts from. This is something I'd like to do.

I got the clip-ons from bikestore.co.nz...or the member bikestore on here really.
They would have been easy enough to fit, because of the fully split clamp, but I didn't fancy my skills at adjusting the throttle and clutch cables, and bleeding the brakes correctly, so I let Mt Eden Motorcycles assemble it all for me...ordered the brake lines through them too to ensure I got WOF approved ones.

One of the reasons for using the aftermarket master cylinder was cause the standard hyosung one might have got in the way and not let me push the bars out enough...which might have made tight turns a bit difficult with hand position etc...
Pays to roughly measure things first to see if it'll all fit.

bungbung
2nd July 2008, 08:55

it's 'satanless'