PDA

View Full Version : Cheesecutter Wellington

Jdogg
2nd July 2008, 08:13
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4604155a11.html

Nasty
2nd July 2008, 08:16
Good call for putting it there ... do we have pictures of vehicles that the barriers are inappropriate for!!

MSTRS
2nd July 2008, 10:01
OOOOH....ooooh....I know....why don't 'they' put up cheesecutters on all roads with opposing lanes so that no-one can cross the centre line anywhere, ever (except for trucks, oh, and bits of bikers of course). That way, driver training and attention can be done away with altogether.

slimjim
2nd July 2008, 10:12
aren't got nothing to do with driver training.......... more of lack of ...

R6_kid
2nd July 2008, 10:22
Perhaps they could either tell people to slow the f*** down, or just reduce the speed limit in that particular area?

Fatjim
2nd July 2008, 10:23
Any volunteers as the designated stunter?

James Deuce
2nd July 2008, 10:40
Perhaps they could either tell people to slow the f*** down, or just reduce the speed limit in that particular area?

Speed's NOT the issue. Driver inattention is. "Oooo lookitheview - BANG."

That whole piece of road can be safely negotiated at the national open road speed limit.

Number One
7th July 2008, 20:43
Speed's NOT the issue. Driver inattention is. "Oooo lookitheview - BANG."

That whole piece of road can be safely negotiated at the national open road speed limit.

Exactly!

10 chars

Tumbles
7th July 2008, 21:09
Pretty sure this section of road is 80 Kph? I reckon the problem with this bit of road is that in is a very long stretch of 80. Out of Wellington you hit a 50 zone at Pukerua Bay, turning into a Cheesecuter 80 area through to Paekok. This area is the first bit in a long time where you can pass someone, so people who get frustrated sitting behind someone going slow try to pass in stupid places when they get to here. Putting a cheesecutter here is not the answer. Double lanning the whole stretch of road and 100kph-ing it would result in less accidents IMHO. No realistic amount of driver training is going to stop people passing on this section of road. And Adding a cheesecutter will only extend the problem to where it ends further up the road.

Another example of wanting to use regulation rather than facilitation.

325rocket
7th July 2008, 21:12
That crash was north of the B.P station opposite the train station. There is no real “view” there.

Tumbles
7th July 2008, 21:14
So on the corner just north of the Paekok hill turnoff? As in about 500m north of where the cheesecutter ends?

James Deuce
7th July 2008, 21:14
Very true, however it does have several distractions right there and I was talking about the chunk of Centennial Highway from Pukerua Bay to Paekakariki.

Accidents happen around there because people are incapable of dealing with any distraction or event out of the norm.

325rocket
7th July 2008, 21:16
Pretty sure this section of road is 80 Kph?

. Double lanning the whole stretch of road and 100kph-ing it would result in less accidents IMHO.

yes it is 80km.

from what i understand the current road can not be added onto i.e. with clip ons , and the other side can not be dug out any more.

with transmission gully going ahead i dont think we will see any money spent on that road any time soon.

Tumbles
7th July 2008, 21:18
Very true, however it does have several distractions right there and I was talking about the chunk of Centennial Highway from Pukerua Bay to Paekakariki.

Accidents happen around there because people are incapable of dealing with any distraction or event out of the norm.

I do concur that given this is the first stretch of road beside water heading south, people will ogle and a centre barrier here (although not a cheescutter) is a good idea, but given the accident happened north of there, I reckon my northbound theory is probably the more likely scenario here. Would be interesting to know which one crossed the centreline, northbound or southbound?

325rocket
7th July 2008, 21:18
So on the corner just north of the Paekok hill turnoff? As in about 500m north of where the cheesecutter ends?

yes thats it, just on the left (heading north) hand turn.

Tumbles
7th July 2008, 21:25
yes it is 80km.

from what i understand the current road can not be added onto i.e. with clip ons , and the other side can not be dug out any more.

with transmission gully going ahead i dont think we will see any money spent on that road any time soon.

Yeah ok, so if they can't make it wider, then reall they do need to put a centre barrier in through to a point north of there where they can go straight from 1 lane barried road to 2 lane open road (preferably still with a barrier to :)). Going from 1 lane barrier to 1 lane opposing traffic will always result in this sort of thing.

Tumbles
7th July 2008, 21:28
Yeah ok, so if they can't make it wider, then reall they do need to put a centre barrier in through to a point north of there where they can go straight from 1 lane barried road to 2 lane open road (preferably still with a barrier to :)). Going from 1 lane barrier to 1 lane opposing traffic will always result in this sort of thing.

And of course in true KB fashion I'd rather bitch about it on here rather than do anything usefull like send a letter to Tansit or the minister or anything responsible like that!!!!! :innocent:

MSTRS
7th July 2008, 21:31
And of course in true KB fashion I'd rather bitch about it on here rather than do anything usefull like send a letter to Tansit or the minister or anything responsible like that!!!!! :innocent:

The letter to *whoever* is most likely to be replied to by way of "Thank you for your letter. It has been passed to *someone*"
What that translates to is "What a cock. Don't give us sensible ideas. We're not interested."

Tumbles
7th July 2008, 21:40
Classic. I write a few decent comments on here, then get the bling for the write a letter call. I LOVE KiwiBiker!!!!! :2thumbsup :lol: